Havenstein the only OT to not give up a sack in 2015

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jap

Legend
Jaws establishing his worth even in an injury-pagued first season.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Speaking of Saffold, you can't put him on the bench can you? Brown or Wichmann then become very good back ups!

You cut Saffold and resign Garrett Reynolds who will be much cheaper and a much more reliable reserve.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You cut Saffold and resign Garrett Reynolds who will be much cheaper and a much more reliable reserve.
I think Saffold is more talented, but yes, Reynolds is more valuable with his durability....

FrankenRam

Starter
I know he wasn't a Ram but older fans from stlouis and La will remember Dan Dierdorf dominating the line from the RT spot. Hall of fame, 3 time Nfl Olineman of the year. There is precedence

Dierdorf was great no doubt. Had some pretty impressive teammates as well in Tom Banks manning C, Bob Young & Conrad Dobler at G. Funny thing is....I can't recall who played LT in that era.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I think Saffold is more talented, but yes, Reynolds is more valuable with his durability....

Correct and the only thing the Rams have been able to rely on during Rodger Saffold's career is his unreliability to stay healthy.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

If they can afford to, they should keep both. Then, enter camp with the idea that all of the youngsters are the starters and Reynolds and Saffold are the backups. That is amazing depth. If one of Jamon Brown or Wichman can't make it, or Robinson is still struggling and needs veteran help to know what to do, then put one of the veterans in.

Wichman has earned a spot IMO. Brown not so much but Fisher did think he could be a future pro bowler. How long do you delay his development? And remember the Olinemen picked in the draft last year all were strong run blockers.

When healthy Saffold at Guard is the best Olineman on the team IMO. I remember what he looked like in his first season there.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
When healthy Saffold at Guard is the best Olineman on the team IMO. I remember what he looked like in his first season there.

I think he's done and IMO, it's time to move on and save some money. I feel good about the depth all the way around especially with bringing back Reynolds and I'm fine with going with Brown and Wichmann at guard in 2016 with the likes of Williams, Battle, Reynolds & Donnal or another draft choice as depth.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I think he's done and IMO, it's time to move on and save some money. I feel good about the depth all the way around especially with bringing back Reynolds and I'm fine with going with Brown and Wichmann at guard in 2016 with the likes of Williams, Battle, Reynolds & Donnal or another draft choice as depth.

Done? I don't. I think he was injured all year and playing with it, plus he was out of position. So was Brown. Swapping their spots may have been a necessity but it weakened the line. Just another way that Robinson is hurting the team.

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame

View: https://twitter.com/PFF/status/682220561297113088?s=09

I know some people were upset we drafted him when we did but he's turning into a hell of a player and that's one position we shouldn't need to worry about for years to come. And I don't compare him to GRob in the least. Havenstein came from a pro style offense was a four year starter and was groomed for the pro's. He was NFL ready at RT the day he was drafted. I'm saying this because I know the negative people will come in and harp on GRob because of Havensteins success. Both will IMO prove to be good tackles in the NFL and solidify our line.

GROB blows people off the line in the run game, though.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Great 2nd rd selection on Rob Havenstein. I can not be any happier. I sure like the duo of both Cody Wichmann & Havenstein on that right side ...just looks & feels right too me. Sure hope we can retain and sign Tim Barnes so we can keep this OL together for a change. I also have high hopes in 2016 of the left side duo Greg Robinson & Jamon Brown that should not be changed either keep those two together. Throw in veteran leader Garrett Reynolds as the top 2016 reserve & things look set on the wings. Just get Barnes back.

As for Rodger Saffold...the last time I saw OL'er Rodger Saffold making consistent blocks (run or pass) on this Rams OL was back in 2013. I am completely on den's side of the fence with Saffold & will use that 5 or 6 million to keep UFA Rams like Tim Barnes, William Hayes & Mark Barron here. Counting on Saffold to have his groove back after two reconstructive shoulders surgeries in the same year is really pushing the luck button. The Saffold release is an easy one for me.

Last edited: