Has there ever been an off season like this?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have been watching the NFL since the late 70’s early 80’s consistently. I do not remember an off season like this.

A couple of poster have stated, “The Rams broke the NFL”. Well by Gawd they may be RIGHT! Teams are moving top tier QBs, over paying with guaranteed contracts, and shaming their own players for possibly signing his replacement. All the while the team who seems to have mastered the player/picks movement just won it all (Thank you Les).

There are still a ton of free agents and trades still to process through.

Funny how the Rams have had a relatively low key off season (minus the Robinson move).

This time in the NFL May be known as the RAMification period.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
When you win it all, you don't have to make a bunch of splash moves. Under the radar re-signing of 3 OL and a new toy for the offense will do. Now they'll sit and wait for the prices to come down, maybe sign a punter, then make a couple other prudent moves.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
So I have been sent here to destroy you
And there's a million GMs just like me
Who try to trade like me; who just don't give a fuck about picks like me
Who dress like me; walk, talk and act like me
It just might be the next best thing but not quite me!

'Cause I'm Les Sneedy yes I'm the real Sneedy
All you other Les Sneedys are just being greedy
So won't the real Les Sneedy please stand up
Please stand up, please stand up?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
You know what I love about this team since McVay came aboard: they know who can play.

It sounds crazy to say that but how many times did we see them do dumb shit in personnel moves during so many losing seasons. A great example IMO was the Rams signing Ogletree. Anyone who watched Ogletree tackle dudes high and let them get away, or be in the wrong spot, or otherwise fail to fill hard vs the run was not happy with that signing.

McVay of course changed the equation of how we saw talent. Made us enormously better. Ogletree was moved shortly after his hire iirc.

Fast forward to Littleton, who like Ogletree had a lot of bad habits and was another chase backer who looked good in space and the Rams let his ass go to the Raiders who promptly regretted signing him.

Over and over again we see them make decisions that we know are good. It's fucking weird to a long term Rams fan, given the shit we have endured. I mean the last time they have let someone go who kicks ass elsewhere... I can't recall. I'm sure there's been a couple but it's likely that Von will be the first to do that. It's been an amazing run and it's not over yet.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
You know what I love about this team since McVay came aboard: they know who can play.

It sounds crazy to say that but how many times did we see them do dumb shit in personnel moves during so many losing seasons. A great example IMO was the Rams signing Ogletree. Anyone who watched Ogletree tackle dudes high and let them get away, or be in the wrong spot, or otherwise fail to fill hard vs the run was not happy with that signing.

McVay of course changed the equation of how we saw talent. Made us enormously better. Ogletree was moved shortly after his hire iirc.

Fast forward to Littleton, who like Ogletree had a lot of bad habits and was another chase backer who looked good in space and the Rams let his ass go to the Raiders who promptly regretted signing him.

Over and over again we see them make decisions that we know are good. It's fucking weird to a long term Rams fan, given the shit we have endured. I mean the last time they have let someone go who kicks ass elsewhere... I can't recall. I'm sure there's been a couple but it's likely that Von will be the first to do that. It's been an amazing run and it's not over yet.
I scratch my head with picks like Atwell, but then I’m grateful when they move a guy who is all flash with no substance.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Rams model rubbing off on the rest of the league.

Bunch of trailers not tractors if you ask me - LAChamp

Ram65

Legend
I have been watching the NFL since the late 70’s early 80’s consistently. I do not remember an off season like this.

A couple of poster have stated, “The Rams broke the NFL”. Well by Gawd they may be RIGHT! Teams are moving top tier QBs, over paying with guaranteed contracts, and shaming their own players for possibly signing his replacement. All the while the team who seems to have mastered the player/picks movement just won it all (Thank you Les).

There are still a ton of free agents and trades still to process through.

Funny how the Rams have had a relatively low key off season (minus the Robinson move).

This time in the NFL May be known as the RAMification period.
It looks like the league is taking its cue from Les and the Rams and making moves to win sooner rather than later. Some of these free agent signs are just too crazy. Les has found a solid balance of trades, free agents and draft picks.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
The Rams model rubbing off on the rest of the league.

Bunch of trailers not tractors if you ask me - LAChamp

That's never gonna get old... it's not terribly gracious, but it's still funny as hell...LOL

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I think it's nice to see the NFL even out a little bit. And I think we have the Rams to thank for that. I think the days of just having a great QB or a superstar defense is a thing of the past. You're now seeing more complete teams succeed in the playoffs and Superbowls IE Rams, buccaneers, etc. Teams willing to ship their superstars to average teams really helps the equity of talent across the NFL.

Only bad thing about this is the more teams doing this the harder it will become to making splash trades. Wonder how it will all shake out in say 5 years or so

sloramfan

Starter
merlin.. that post hit the nail right on the head...

after that playoff loss to the falcons, i went straight to my all 22, and focused on ogletree throughout that whole season (well maybe not the entire season) but what i noticed was a player who not only was consistently late to the play, even when in position, but soft....

in other words just there, not impactful...

the more i watched, the madder i got... some people around these parts, and other sites were loving his game... not me..

i wish game pass would give us all 22 again.. i miss that....

but in reguards to your post... yes, the rams seem to now pay attention... to who's producing, more than who's popular..

go rams

slo

Wisconsinram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Mike
Les changed the NFL.
I am so thankful for our current front office. It ALWAYS starts at the top in any organization. So thankful for our crew and hope they stick together for many seasons.
oh, and he'll stay ahead of the rest!

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
Rams signing Ogletree. Anyone who watched Ogletree tackle dudes high and let them get away, or be in the wrong spot,
I saw a lot of that this year from the middle spot.
Until a rookie already a favorite of mine came in and owned the SB

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Les changed the NFL.
I am so thankful for our current front office. It ALWAYS starts at the top in any organization. So thankful for our crew and hope they stick together for many seasons.
Imagine if Les had got the ax with Fisher???

fire elmo GIF

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor

fire elmo GIF
We already paid our dues by missing out on Bill Walsh. We got McVay and kept Snead as a way of ironing out things down the road (per Football Gods Rams chapter of life).

sjm1582002

Wanted everywhere but welcome nowhere
<snip>. I mean the last time they have let someone go who kicks ass elsewhere... I can't recall. I'm sure there's been a couple but it's likely that Von will be the first to do that. It's been an amazing run and it's not over yet.
Roger Saffold is the only one that comes to mind.

We got folks in charge who know what they need to win football games and shape the team accordingly.

Ranma

Rookie
I've always defended Les even during the Fisher days because I recognized that he was only doing his job in getting the players that his coaches wanted and needed. However, I held him responsible for finding the right coach since hiring Fisher also happened on his watch. So I also agreed with the organization's decision to let Snead participate and advise on a search for a new head coach back then post-Fisher.

At the time I was hoping for Kyle Shanahan but it soon became clear shortly thereafter that Sean McVay was Snead's and the Rams' early favorite. Thank goodness for that.

Snead is great at making deals and finding ways to get whatever it is that is necessary for his coach. Kevin Demoff also helps with his approach to finding ways to open up enough salary cap room for such maneuvers but I think there are few people out there better than him as a wheeler and dealer.

As a coach picker, he's both missed badly in Jeff Fisher and been wildly successful in zeroing in on Sean McVay, so maybe the jury is still out on him in that regard, but I would like to think Snead has learned a lot in collaborating with the latter to be positioned much better moving forward.
Les changed the NFL.

fire elmo GIF

jjab360

Legend
As a coach picker, he's both missed badly in Jeff Fisher and been wildly successful in zeroing in on Sean McVay, so maybe the jury is still out on him in that regard, but I would like to think Snead has learned a lot in collaborating with the latter to be positioned much better moving forward.
Actually Fisher was hired before Snead and was involved in the decision making process of Snead being hired.

I found it interesting at the time when Fisher was let go and Snead was retained but it had become obvious between the two who was worth holding on to.