Has Peyton Manning played his last game in the NFL?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Has Peyton Manning played his last game in the NFL?

• Yes

Votes: 22 51.2%
  • No

Votes: 21 48.8%

• Total voters

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
This report indicates that Manning has been playing injured lately but to my eyes he's seemed off for much of this season. He doesn't have as much zip on the ball as he used to. That's understandable considering his age. He'll turn 39 in March.

There have actually been quite a few NFL quarterbacks who played into their 40's. Wade Wilson, Johnny Unitas, Dave Krieg, Jim Hart, Brad Johnson, Brett Favre, and Doug Flutie just to name a few but I don't see Peyton Manning hanging on when he's past his prime. What do you think?
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/12/severity-of-peytons-injury-called-into-question/

Severity of Peyton’s injury called into question
Posted by Michael David Smith on January 12, 2015

peyton1.jpeg
AP

As the NFL world wonders what went wrong with Peyton Manning in Sunday’s loss to the Colts, anonymous sources are engaged in a back-and-forth about the severity of his leg injury.

What we know is this: Manning took a hard hit in Week 15 against the Chargers, briefly left the game, and has been listed on the team’s injury report as having a thigh injury since then.

What we don’t know is the severity of that injury. Adam Schefter of ESPN reported today that Manning has been playing through a torn quadriceps. But shortly after Schefter’s report, Troy Renck of the Denver Post reported that Manning simply had a strain, not a full tear.

Schefter attributed his report to “two sources,” while Renck attributed his report to “a team source.” So we have no idea who’s talking and why. But it’s fair to think that Schefter’s two sources are motivated by putting Manning in a positive light, suggesting that Manning didn’t struggle because he’s getting old but because he was playing through an injury. Conversely, Renck’s team source may be motivated by not wanting the Broncos to appear to have been playing fast and loose with the NFL’s injury reporting rules.

Meanwhile, Jay Glazer of FOX reports that Manning actually has injuries to both quads, with a strain or partial tear in one and a deep bruise in the other.

If you believe Manning was struggling late in the season because he’s hurt, you probably believe that with a full offseason to rest, he can be a great quarterback again next season. If you believe that Manning only suffered the kind of minor injury that all NFL players suffer at some point in a season, you probably believe that Manning is showing signs of age, and that he’ll never be the kind of player he once was.

Whether Manning has a future in Denver — or anywhere else — remains to be seen. He turns 39 in March.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
@Prime Time to me, he's had a serious decline in arm strength the last few years, which seems worse in cold weather....I hear now he has some sort of torn quadriceps muscle...yeah right...but he's due to make $19 mil....no way he walks away for that...I'd suspect he'd even be Osweilers backup for that kinda cheese...
Personally, I hate to see great players go out like this...it just effs up a great memory when he'd work that LOS magic, calling plays...so I feel he should retire, the team is so good he probably wants to stay....Welker should retire too, he's a shell of himself...think he's scared to go over the middle...Ware was awful too yesterday....Denver's in trouble in 2 years or so.....
I've seen guys I know, in there 40's still able to throw the rock, but not week after week...I think the season is too long for an old guy, plus the playoffs is the best of the best...Pass rush plus a couple of serious DB's spelled his doom...NE was gonna blow the Broncos out....

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
@Prime Time to me, he's had a serious decline in arm strength the last few years, which seems worse in cold weather....I hear now he has some sort of torn quadriceps muscle...yeah right...but he's due to make $19 mil....no way he walks away for that...I'd suspect he'd even be Osweilers backup for that kinda cheese...
Personally, I hate to see great players go out like this...it just effs up a great memory when he'd work that LOS magic, calling plays...so I feel he should retire, the team is so good he probably wants to stay....Welker should retire too, he's a shell of himself...think he's scared to go over the middle...Ware was awful too yesterday....Denver's in trouble in 2 years or so.....
I've seen guys I know, in there 40's still able to throw the rock, but not week after week...I think the season is too long for an old guy, plus the playoffs is the best of the best...Pass rush plus a couple of serious DB's spelled his doom...NE was gonna blow the Broncos out....

He's most likely already fabulously wealthy and doesn't need the $19 million. The only reason he might stick around longer than he should is due to his competitive nature. He seems like one of those types that could turn out to be a good coach due to his intelligence. It won't surprise me if he bows out sometime during the next few months. Either way the Broncos need to plan for a post-Manning scenario.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
I think he will resign with great fanfare this offseason.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
I don't think we're lucky enough for his career to be over. He'll get some work done and come back.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
The teams window is closing quick , if it didn't already this year. They spent big on some old guys last year...and now they have both D. Thomas and J. Thomas as free agents. If PM stays around it is due to his competitive nature (or his many endorsement deals), but he may end it seeing the team continue to lose pieces and his ability to elevate the team dropping off. Note they look to have cap room, but they havea LONGGGGG list of free agents also.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I think if Manning doesn't just hang it up, he's going to want to go to a team offering a chance for one more ring. I don't think he's going to see that on the Rams.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
Nope, then he'd be in the same conference as his brother and mess up the possible Manning Bowl.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
After the ass whipping we put on the Broncos I could see him at least consider it if we fix our oline we could win a superbowl with Manning.

RamsFan14

Starter
Well... There is 1 advantage we do have that Denver doesn't, a dome! Highly highly doubt all this stuff happens, but I mean I think this place could be more appealing than meets the eye.

RamsFan14

Starter
Well... There is 1 advantage we do have that Denver doesn't, a dome! Highly highly doubt all this stuff happens, but I mean I think this place could be more appealing than meets the eye.

I mean, just ask Janoris Jenkins (did I just quote myself?!)

Zombie Slayer

You are entitled to nothing.
Name
Dave
Well reports are that he was playing hurt. Despite that the Broncos won five of their last six to finish the regular season. He had 4700 yards, almost 40 tds and 15 ints. If he comes back healthy and rested next season, who is to say he can't still play at a high level? His health would be a question next season but if they are able to build that oline up and continue to move to a more run oriented offense, they would still be a playoff team. If I was the Broncos I would ask him to restructure his contract so that they could resign some of their free agents. If he didn't I would let him go. If he did become a free agent, there are a number of teams that he could start for still. I see no reason for him to retire unless his body won't allow him to play at the level he wants from himself.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Well reports are that he was playing hurt. Despite that the Broncos won five of their last six to finish the regular season. He had 4700 yards, almost 40 tds and 15 ints. If he comes back healthy and rested next season, who is to say he can't still play at a high level? His health would be a question next season but if they are able to build that oline up and continue to move to a more run oriented offense, they would still be a playoff team. If I was the Broncos I would ask him to restructure his contract so that they could resign some of their free agents. If he didn't I would let him go. If he did become a free agent, there are a number of teams that he could start for still. I see no reason for him to retire unless his body won't allow him to play at the level he wants from himself.
He started off the year as good as he's ever been. But his last 7 games he had 11 touchdowns to 8 interceptions. That's not good. In fact, it's garbage. Anyone who had eyeballs could see he was struggling the last half of the season. How do you know that won't struggle the same way next year?

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
What are the chances of Manning playing for the Rams next season if he dicides not to retire?
I keep reading that he is unsure about playing in Denver next year.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/11/peyton-non-committal-about-2015-return/

I know for a fact that Fisher is a big fan of Manning. Do you think he could possibly lobby to the FO to sign him?

That's probably not gonna happen considering Manning's age, injuries, and what he would count against the cap. His brother Eli would be a better choice considering that he's younger and never seems to get injured. Personally if I was Fisher I would steer clear of both of them and get a young QB to develop.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
no cus who the hell would they start next year? obviously QB is a priority watch the next couple years but Peyton is still their best option going forward.