Has Peyton Manning played his last game in the NFL?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Has Peyton Manning played his last game in the NFL?

• Yes

Votes: 22 51.2%
  • No

Votes: 21 48.8%

• Total voters

jsimcox

Pro Bowler
Name
Jamie
Given the news of John Fox leaving, i'd say Peyton will retire.
I don't think he has much of a shot at another Super Bowl now anyway...

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Who do they have or who are they going to get that's better?

An injured Manning on the decline is still better than a lot of options out there.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Very hard to throw with no wheels under you. You could see him struggling to keep his base in the pocket and thus threw a lot of ducks in the last half of the season.

If the injuries can be repaired and rehabbed then I would be all over him, but I can't see him starting over in a new city. He already is one of the largest Papa John's franchisees with something like 200 stores, so he's set.

A healthy P Manning with this team and a new OC would be freaking fantastic. Not impossible, but highly improbable.

Zombie Slayer

You are entitled to nothing.
Name
Dave
He started off the year as good as he's ever been. But his last 7 games he had 11 touchdowns to 8 interceptions. That's not good. In fact, it's garbage. Anyone who had eyeballs could see he was struggling the last half of the season. How do you know that won't struggle the same way next year?

Well if he was really playing hurt like reported then I would still conclude that if he was healthy next year, he could produce like he did the beginning of this season. If he can't come back 100%, we have seen how that has worked out for him, and he should retire.

Zombie Slayer

You are entitled to nothing.
Name
Dave
Based on hearing what the commentators were saying about Manning when they talked to him earlier this season and then before yesterday's game, and the fact that Fox is no longer head coach, I voted that he will retire. I think their WR and te will leave to other teams as they can see that the Broncos are on the decline. This will be a very interesting offseason in Denver.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Well if he was really playing hurt like reported then I would still conclude that if he was healthy next year, he could produce like he did the beginning of this season. If he can't come back 100%, we have seen how that has worked out for him, and he should retire.
Yeah I agree. Seeing this happen to Peyton make Favres longevity even more respected. It's not easy to play for 20 years in this league.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://mmqb.si.com/2015/01/14/peyton-manning-retire-injuries/

peyton-manning-bedard-960.jpg

Simon Bruty/SI/The MMQB

The Sun Hasn’t Set on Peyton Manning
I watched every drop-back he took this season, and I don't believe I was watching a quarterback who is washed-up. Why Peyton Manning shouldn't retire
By Greg A. Bedard

He was totally inept in Sunday’s loss to the Colts. But Peyton Manning is not done.

That is as long as he can answer one question affirmatively: Can he get his legs healthy and keep them healthy for an entire season? If he can’t be confident in that, then Manning should retire. Most quarterbacks, especially 39-year-old quarterbacks (which is what Manning would be next season), are done when their legs go. Manning’s legs went this season, and so did his effectiveness.

I watched all 735 passing plays—drop-backs, sacks, scrambles and penalties—Manning was involved in during the past season. Much has been made of reports that Manning played the past month with a severe quad injury. That’s certainly evident from when he came up limping in the Dec. 14 game against the Chargers. But I think Manning was injured prior to that game, possibly as far back as the Oct. 23 home game against San Diego. That would mesh with Jay Glazer’s report that Manning had injuries to both quads, a partial tear in one and a deep bruise in the other.

From what I saw, there is a clear line of demarcation between Manning’s play before and after that first matchup with the Chargers. He played exceedingly well up to that game. I can actually pinpoint the first play I noticed something was wrong. It was a simple out on first down to Demaryius Thomas with 2:31 remaining in the third quarter. Manning faked a handoff, got to the top of his drop, stepped up a little in the pocket, and then awkwardly fired a 14-yard pass (in the air) to his left that wasn’t even close to Thomas.

To be fair, Ronnie Hillman had mistakenly (judging by the post-play tongue lashing Manning gave him) run a route and drew a defender into Manning’s path, so he was probably being safe with the errant pass. But it wasn’t the inaccuracy that caught my eye (Manning has a few of those each game); it was his mechanics.

Manning’s delivery and stride were normal, but when he followed through, he brought his back foot all the way in front of him. It was like he was throwing around his body or legs.

peyton-throw-chargers-800.jpg

Courtesy NFL Game Rewind

When you watch a quarterback throw enough times, little things like this stand out. Like most passers, Manning generates the torque needed to power the ball by releasing his hips. He usually just spins and lifts up his back foot, which comes forward slightly with his momentum. Earlier this season Manning threw a similar pass, which needed a little mustard to beat the defender to the sideline, with 7:22 left in the second quarter against the Seahawks. That time, Manning was all spin.

peyton-throw-seattle-800.jpg

Courtesy NFL Game Rewind

He didn’t drag his right foot awkwardly like he did against the Chargers, a throw I noted because it was so abnormal for Manning. But I didn’t think much of it until I continued to watch each snap in progression.

I have a rudimentary system for grading players when I watch film, and while it’s far from perfect, it has served me well. Plus plays are difficult throws or decisions, depending on how good the coverage and/or pass-rush are. Minus throws or decisions are those that are missed, but are usually made with regularity. Even if I’m using flawed logic, as long as I’m consistent with how I apply it I can ballpark whether someone played well or not.

Through that first meeting with the Chargers, the season’s seventh game, I had Manning for 44 “plus” plays, and 32 “minus” plays (with 25 percent of those minus plays coming in the Seattle loss).

And what you have to remember about the Broncos’ passing system, which has been developed by Manning and offensive coordinator Adam Gase, is that it is brilliant in the many ways it uses personnel and route concepts to get receivers open. Outside of maybe Chip Kelly with the Eagles, I don’t think an NFL passing system gets more players wide open than the Broncos’. It’s like the University of Oregon of the NFL.

That’s not to say it’s perfect, it has flaws against smart man-to-man coverages, but over the course of an NFL season it’s pretty good. I say that to explain why many of Manning’s throws do not have a high degree of difficulty compared to some of his peers’, Aaron Rodgers for instance.

Back to Manning’s performance. In the next three games after the San Diego win (losses to the Patriots and Rams and a win over the Raiders), Manning had 21 plus plays and 38 minus plays. The Broncos may have beaten the Raiders 41-17 and Manning may have completed 31 of 44 passes for 340 yards and five touchdowns (two interceptions) on Nov. 9, but it was one of Manning’s worst performances of the season.

While two of his touchdown passes were terrific throws to Emmanuel Sanders, the other three were wide open and/or plays made by the receiver (like C.J. Anderson’s 51-yard catch-and-run TD when he broke five tackles and zig-zagged across the field). The Broncos trailed 10-6, thanks to two poor Manning interceptions, until putting up two scores in the final three minutes of the first half.

In the final nine games of the season (6-3), Manning had a 64-to-78 plus/minus ratio. That’s basically a flip from the 44-to-32 he had in the first seven games of the season. Manning did play well in wins over the Dolphins on Nov. 23 and Chargers on Dec. 14, with mediocre performances wins over the Chiefs and Bills in between.

I can’t explain that but note that the Broncos made a concerted effort to run the ball much more after the loss to the Rams on Nov. 16.

A team source said that after the Rams loss, it was determined that the Broncos couldn’t continue throwing the ball 40-plus times a game, something they did against the Patriots (57), Raiders (44) and Rams (54). Was that decision made because of Manning’s health/ineffectiveness? That’s unknown. But after leaving St. Louis, the Broncos only attempted 40-plus passes in a game twice, and they were both losses: the ugly loss to the Bengals on Dec. 22 (44), and Sunday’s season-ending loss to the Colts (46).

As for Sunday’s game, Manning had three plus plays (two on the first and only scoring drive of the game), and 15 minus plays. And that was after a bye week.

The Manning we saw against the Colts, the one who threw inaccurate wobblers downfield, made poor decisions and didn’t have enough velocity to complete easy slants, was not the Manning I saw in the first seven games of the season. That Manning was playing well, showed an ability to drop passes in the bucket down the field and generally looked like an MVP candidate. The Manning that ended the season was someone we’ve never seen before.

I think it’s absurd to believe that Manning aged, suddenly, in the middle of the season and the game has passed him by. To me, the more logical explanation for the sharp contrast between his play before and after Oct. 23 is that Manning played through the second half of the season with serious leg problems he couldn’t shake. And the way Manning throws the ball, he just can’t function very well without his legs. That he was able to guide the Broncos to six wins in the final 10 games is a testament to his mind and to Denver’s offensive system.

Broncos team president John Elway has forgotten more about good quarterbacking than most of us will ever know. He’s also not very sentimental, so I don’t think he was just being politically correct (like the Packers once were with Brett Favre) on Tuesday when he said he wanted Manning to return.

“Bottom line is that we want him back,” Elway said. “It’s going to come down to what he wants. I did have a great conversation with Peyton [on Monday]. We talked about the game. I said, ‘The last thing we’re going to do at this point in time, having been through what you’ve been through, is talk about your future.’ I told him, ‘Just know how much we want you back, but you need time to get away from this.’ ”

It’s going to be a different Broncos team in 2015. Coach John Fox is gone and they have many pending free agents. And only Manning knows whether he wants to go through the effort of rehabbing his legs, then putting in the training to make his lower body more durable for a potential 18th NFL season.

But I believe that Manning has another season of very good football left in him. The Manning we saw in the final 10 games is not who he is now. We were watching a player gutting out a serious injury that he couldn’t get past. I hope he’s back for at least one more season, so he can go out the right way. He still has something left.