Has Los Angeles Rams’ Head Coach Sean McVay’s offense been figured out ?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

gogoat1

Pro Bowler
Name
Troy
If we came out of the second half in the Super Bowl with 2 TE sets we win the game. A little 2 minute mixed in also, Rams win going away. I blame the loss on McVay, but there is no other coach I would rather have.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
It seems like the Rams are determined to find a way to stay productive in 11 against this 6-1 front. They must believe in the scheme and players to figure it out.

Sure, they could abandon what has proven to fit our personnel perfectly, but if they can beat it consistently, they will be better than ever and opposing coordinators will be back to the drawing board searching for answers.

And let's be honest - considering the rust and work in progress O-line, our O has been scoring 25 a game and is clearly comfortable winning with all 3 phases if they can't do it with the O alone.

Don't forget, McVay is in charge of our Defense too. If he had wanted to put more resources and money on our Offense, I'm sure he could have bolstered our interior line where a lot of our issues are getting magnified. McVay might be an offensive mind but his job is to win us as many games as possible, however he can. He is doing that. So well in fact that 3 weeks into his 3rd season his Rams have NEVER not been in 1st place of the nfcw.

I think our offense is about to break out and the next team to load 6 on the LOS will be the first ones to regret it.

I hope you are correct. I think the lack of experience and downgrades at RG and C will dictate when that happens. I'm not counting Demby on that one because I expect Blythe to return this week, and while not an all pro, he's a definite upgrade over Demby. Plus it will help out Allen, by not having to baby sit the guy next to him.

fearsomefour

Legend
DC knowing that when the Rams come to the line early and Goff doesn’t have it snapped right away.....they know McVay is in Goff’s ear. So, they wait until under 15 seconds and shift their D look late as well.
The league is full of smart coaches that adapt.
I like how McVay mixes up the tempo from time to time.
Maybe a few more predetermined plays/throws early in the going.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I would love if to start the next game he came out 2 TE heavy and slammed it up the gut and left the DC with a sinking feeling that he game planned for the wrong offense and had him scrambling the whole game.

Wouldn't have to be the whole game, but it'd be great on 1st and 10 to come out heavy against that 6-1 and just blast 'em.

Then line up heavy with Kupp at TE only to flex to trip right with the D in base. That's either a D timeout or a big play...

But pretty sure McVay's working on something else...

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
The NFL adapts to success. Especially ON the field. But no....they haven't caught up w/ his offense. They have stifled parts of it by going 6 lineman, but there are always counters to a "fix". But right now we aren't being patient enough to "take" what is given. And no the key isn't changing personnel. Having the same personnel in there allows for us to run or pass at our leisure and speed. And while those defensive alignments change what we can be successful on, it also opens new vulnerabilities in the defense.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Maybe..but isn't that a "tell" that says we are about to do a run up the gut? For this to work, we'd have to keep the FB or OL in the game for a good chunk of the time...Don't know if I like that..
The halfback doesn’t have to follow the fullback into the play.

The fullback can take the carry.

Either is a pass option.

Everett is the ideal pass option fullback with Gurley as your halfback.

You can still create pass options to frustrate opposing linebackers with Kupp.

You can put your fullback in motion.

What am I missing? You can go back to Higbee at tight end when they adjust.

Really, it’s the same personnel just different looks.

Last edited:

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
One thing that appears to be missing a lot is tempo. Just using that seems like an easy way to get the D off balance or to at least declare what they are trying to do. That might stem from the run game not being as polished as last year though. We aren't getting those bigger chunk runs on 1st down this year.
I'd like to see 11 personnel with Woods and Kupp outside sprinkled in. Could keep Cooks a bit fresher for his deep routes.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Seems like a 6 -1 front would be very susceptible to I formation runs right up the gut.

A monster FB, heavy TE, or reserve OL leads Gurley/Brown and destroys the lone LB.

Once a safety starts cheating up its PA bombs away.
But then what. The d just changes personel and plays the d that stops us.
I think mcvay believes our best personel combo is on the field with 11 personel. He wants to find what plays will work best against what is stopping them. He wants his QB and Oline, to get as much experience dealing with this.
As I think about this more, as long as we win he will keep experimenting with how the league is defending our best offense. While I have not been happy with how the O has performed, I have decided that he has a plan and I will be more patient until the record tells me not to be.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
DC knowing that when the Rams come to the line early and Goff doesn’t have it snapped right away.....they know McVay is in Goff’s ear. So, they wait until under 15 seconds and shift their D look late as well.
The mcvay in his ear thing is so over blown. How many times is the huddle breaking after 15 sec? How many times does goff change things in the last 5 sec? Every time goff puts his hands up to his ear holes, it is assumed he is listening to coach, but he does that after 15 sec also. It is a hand signal. I am sure it still happens, waiting till the last second to change your D is something Ds do all the time anyway. OVERBLOWN.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I didn't see one late shift in looks from the Browns secondary in the game review. They played their look, the Rams knew what they were going to do, the chances to get big plays were there too. Rams just didn't capitalize.

Gurley missing huge holes to cut back in. Woods missing a big hole on the end around. Goff pressing with throws he normally doesn't attempt even when the protections are good. OL blowing assignments or creating unnecessary yardage with penalties. Woods & Cook dropping passes. Etc., etc.

That's not to say a team like the Pats can't take advantage still of what you mentioned. But the Browns didn't need to, the Rams were busy not making plays on their own.

fearsomefour

Legend
I didn't see one late shift in looks from the Browns secondary in the game review. They played their look, the Rams knew what they were going to do, the chances to get big plays were there too. Rams just didn't capitalize.

Gurley missing huge holes to cut back in. Woods missing a big hole on the end around. Goff pressing with throws he normally doesn't attempt even when the protections are good. OL blowing assignments or creating unnecessary yardage with penalties. Woods & Cook dropping passes. Etc., etc.

That's not to say a team like the Pats can't take advantage still of what you mentioned. But the Browns didn't need to, the Rams were busy not making plays on their own.
Well that’s bad news for Goff’s ability to see what’s there then.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Absolutely they have.

They have figured out that if the entire interior of the offensive line only has less than a half a dozen starts, you should apply pressure up the middle.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
Op is right overall it is a combo of issues.

One not discussed is trust. Goff does not trust his interior ok yet. It is definitely better in 2nd half of Browns game, but still not as good as last year. I always say we go as far as our ol takes us.

Yes Goff has made some high throws, yes their have been drops, yes the rhythm is shaky and yes the Running Backs have somewhat disappointed but they are tied into the OL.

We are being tested early which is great for the Rams and learning from last year is actually the secret sauce to the Rams success this year.

The biggest thing that really benefits the Rams is that our D is way noticeably better. So while we figure getting the offense to 30-32 ppg the Defense will hold teams in the teens and minimally we can score more than 20 a game.

Most of all the Rams have seen all the best defensive schemes and are way more prepared for them.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well that’s bad news for Goff’s ability to see what’s there then.
I just want to see him take that next step I have felt he was going to take all offseason with more command of the offense and an ability to beat that quarters coverage by making consistent plays. He does need to improve but he's not the only issue with the offense, was trying to capture that in the last post.

I'd also like to see him use his eyes more to control DBs, look off some wideouts on critical downs, etc. But I'm also sure all those things are on the list for McVay to continue building his QB.

fearsomefour

Legend
I just want to see him take that next step I have felt he was going to take all offseason with more command of the offense and an ability to beat that quarters coverage by making consistent plays. He does need to improve but he's not the only issue with the offense, was trying to capture that in the last post.

I'd also like to see him use his eyes more to control DBs, look off some wideouts on critical downs, etc. But I'm also sure all those things are on the list for McVay to continue building his QB.
I agree.
He is young though.
I think another 3 or 4 years to see where he is going to land.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
One thing that appears to be missing a lot is tempo.

I have said this out loud a few times watching the games.

There have been stretches where we seemed to move more deliberately, giving the impression the defense is controlling tempo. Just in stretches. And maybe we did the same last year but I’m noticing it more.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Two interesting quotes from Vinny's latest article:

“We really haven’t played a team yet who’s done what we’ve game-planned for,” Allen said. “People are playing not their normal defense against us, and I think that’s a compliment to last year’s team and coaches and how well they can manipulate defenses and how well they can put game plans together.”

“That’s something we’ve seen, and it’s something we should know,” Havenstein said. “And we as an offense have to do a better job of adapting to it right away and not letting this (cause) mental errors or the different things we’re seeing. We have to execute to the best of our standards.”

They have had the adjustments and worked them all camp but they're not executing. This lines up IMO with what we saw vs the Browns and the Saints, where there were big plays there to be made but the Rams didn't execute and take advantage of what was there. It hasn't been one guy, rather all of them here and there.

Edit: here's another one from Hav re: the OL needing to adjust quicker:

“It comes down to doing your job,” Havenstein said. “Doing your job with technique and knowing who to go (block). And that’s something that’s done through preparation and practice. And honestly, we have to do a better job.

“Speaking especially for the O-line, we have to do a better job preparing throughout the week. Whether that’s in the film room or — and it’s 100 percent on the players, (because I) think we have a good plan that’s been sent down from our coaches — but you know, especially, we’ve got a lot of young guys right now and we need to take that next step and not have any surprises and not knowing assignments. We need to make it a technique game. Which is when we’re very good.”

Last edited:

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
But then what. The d just changes personel and plays the d that stops us.
I think mcvay believes our best personel combo is on the field with 11 personel. He wants to find what plays will work best against what is stopping them. He wants his QB and Oline, to get as much experience dealing with this.
As I think about this more, as long as we win he will keep experimenting with how the league is defending our best offense. While I have not been happy with how the O has performed, I have decided that he has a plan and I will be more patient until the record tells me not to be.

But you can set the D up.

Put in a heavy group, but one run play out of 11 personnel to get that 6-1 front.

Then go hurry up and put that same group into a heavy set and pound it up the middle without substitution. The opposition has to either burn a TO or swap using a sub-optimal personnel grouping.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Pretty obvious the plan of the 6-1 is to disrupt our running game, and thus our play-action passing game and entire offense. The outside pitches worked well against the Saints, but didn't work against the Browns as they were ready for that.

How about we run something other than 11 personnel though McVay? This is what I don't get, he should have known the entire off-season this is how we were going to be defended. What specific wrinkles in formation has he deployed? Any new creative 2-TE sets to get more blocking on the field to help the run game? Deployment of two RB sets? Everett as a FB? I haven't seen us try any of these against the 6-1. If teams are actively taking away our outside zone in 11 personnel, why are we continuing to run the same formations and play into it? That's the part that's been bugging me, McVay knows how important the run game is to us, cant he scheme the OL help in some way? I know that's asking a lot when we don't even run the ball on 3rd and 1 :palm: .
This I agree with. McVay seems to be getting into that stubborn Mike Martz thing of "we do what we do be damn what they do" type of thing. I agree that he needs to change up formations and personnel groupings. I also think that the bunch set formations are sometimes too tight, as it seems to bring the entire defense right to the point of where the ball is going. Spread that defense out a bit. Your players are at their best when working in space.

Also .. get out of JG's ear so much. Let him learn to do it on his own. we waste more damn time and give the defense a chance to get a read on what we are going to do as JG has to stand there and listen to the instructions. You paid the guy to be the guy .. Let him take ownership.