Has Los Angeles Rams’ Head Coach Sean McVay’s offense been figured out ?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Let’s take a deeper dive to answer the question

By Sosa Kremenjas@QBsMVP Sep 25, 2019, 3:34pm CDT

Los Angeles Rams v Cleveland Browns

Photo by Gregory Shamus/Getty Images

Unless you’ve been hiding under a rock, you’ve probably heard the question: “Has Los Angeles Rams’ Head Coach Sean McVay’s offense been figured out?”. We’re going to take a deeper dive into the tape, the numbers, and form an answer to the best of our ability. Let’s begin (Stats come from Team Rankings):
Issue
I guess we may as well begin with the “issue”. It all began in week 13 of 2018. The Rams traveled to Detroit to play the Lions, and it was then when Head Coach Matt Patricia constructed a defensive gameplan that gave the Rams’ offense fits. The concerns did not quell next week, with the Chicago Bears and Defensive Coordinator Vic Fangio absolutely stifling the Rams’ offense for the first time. Fast forward another few weeks, the New England Patriots and Head Coach Bill Belicheck devised a brilliant gameplan which once again, absolutely stifled the Rams’ offense. The defense was in an alignment known as the “6-1”, meaning six guys were lined up on the line of scrimmage with only one off-ball linebacker, generally lined up in the middle. This defensive structure proved to give the Rams all sorts of issues running the ball, because that’s exactly what it was designed to do. The Rams’ ground game (and offense in general) starts with the outside zone running play, which then evolves into a potent play action passing attack.
The use of this alignment made the Rams’ rushing attack all but invisible, trickling throughout the rest of their offense and handcuffing them in every way.
Now, fast forward to the beginning of the 2019 season, and you’ll notice that all three of the Rams’ opponents thus far (Carolina Panthers, New Orleans Saints, Cleveland Browns) have deployed the same alignment at times, in hopes of once again stifling the Rams’ rushing attack, and in turn, offense. And to this point, it has worked. The Rams are currently ranked 7th in the league in rushing yards per game (123.7) and 16th in yards per rush attempt (4.3). In 2018, the Rams ranked 3rd in rushing yards per game (139.1) and 5th in rushing yards per game (4.8). The numbers are down, the amount of negative/non-gaining running plays are up, and the general effectiveness of the rushing attack has also taken a step back. Not to mention, the Rams have been forced away from their favorite play, the outside zone run.

So what’s causing these issues?
Well, the alignment first and foremost. Teams are copying the same gameplan which has proven its ability to stifle the Rams’ rushing attack, forcing them to operate in different ways. The effectiveness of the offense as a whole has taken a step back, as the offense depends on the rushing attack to keep them ahead of the chains, affording them easier opportunities and more ways to attack defenses on shorter down-and-distances.
The Rams have regressed in first downs per play (4th to 20th), yards per play (3rd to 22nd), and their rush offense percentage (Per Football Outsiders) has dropped from 1st to 4th. It sounds worse than it is, but its evident the ability to rush the ball allows the Rams to become much more efficient and effective in passing the ball.

Adapting
So far, McVay has shown the ability and willingness to adapt to the 6-1 alignment which has forced him away from outside zone runs. Mainly, McVay has deployed a lot of pitches and quick screens to receivers, putting the defense in a bind as they’ll only have one linebacker on the second level who’s tasked with a lot of ground to cover, needing to flow without any hesitation. It’s worked thus far, though the Rams had some struggles with the adjustment (pitches/screens) against the Browns in week three. The ability to adapt and the willingness to do so is exactly why McVay is as special as people make him out to be. He — and the Rams — want to run outside zone, it’s what their entire offense is based on, though as long as teams will allow him to do anything but, he’ll adjust accordingly.

Different Factors
Now, as I said above, McVay has adapted and allowed the offense to continue to be productive with different play calls, and though the offense hasn’t been as effective as it was in 2018, there’s hope they can return to that ability. Some of the different factors which have contributed to the lack of the offensive firepower we’ve become accustomed to are:
  • The Rams are starting a new left guard in Joseph Noteboom, a new center in Brian Allen, and now a new right guard in Jamil Demby as Austin Blythe remains out with injury
  • Quarterback Jared Goff is struggling. He has some sloppy turnovers, a few inaccurate passes, and has missed many open receivers (some of which would’ve went for massive gains)
  • The receivers — which have been lauded for their hands — have dropped multiple uncovered passes, as have the running backs. These sloppy and fixable mistakes are often drive killers
  • The youth and inexperience of the offensive line has seen them falter on multiple occasions as they’re currently their own worst enemy. Thus far, they’ve actually been good blockers, the issue is the miscommunications where two guys aren’t on the same page and allow a defensive player go completely untouched to bear down on Goff or the run game (much more often in pass pro)
These factors, as well as a rushing attack that has also seen an influx of negative/non-gaining runs that set the offense back in down-and-distances, have played a major role in handcuffing the effectiveness of the Rams’ offense.
The Rams absolutely do possess the talent to get back to the level they were at in 2018 offensively, though it’ll need to start inside the building first and foremost. Cleaning up sloppy mistakes like drops, turnovers, penalties, and miscommunications is at the forefront, as they’re all 100% controllable. The next step is to make sure Jared Goff is comfortable and can get in a rhythm, because the plays are absolutely there to be made, he’s just not making them for whatever reason. Once the passing game clicks, it’ll open up even more underneath for the rushing attack. And lastly, Sean McVay needs to continue to adapt, evolve, and scheme ways to get guys to be more productive, as he has his entire tenure. He’s shown a willingness and ability to do so already, all he needs to do is continue.
So to answer the question, “Has the Rams’ offense been figured out?”, sort of, a little bit. But the Rams’ offense has shown the ability to adapt, and as long as McVay is the head man who maintains control, they’re in a good position to continue to effectively produce offensively. Whether it’s how they like to do it or not.

EastRam

Pro Bowler
Just guessing of course.

I just don't believe they have been figured out. They are good enough talent wise to beat any team regardless of what alinement a D puts out.

Someone has figured out "tells" of our O. Run vs Pass.

And they need less days off and more "working" practicing together.

They look sloppy and out of sync. Not figured out.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Not a bad write up. Not the usual vomit we hear and read from knucklehead media sheep.

MachS

Hall of Fame
Pretty obvious the plan of the 6-1 is to disrupt our running game, and thus our play-action passing game and entire offense. The outside pitches worked well against the Saints, but didn't work against the Browns as they were ready for that.

How about we run something other than 11 personnel though McVay? This is what I don't get, he should have known the entire off-season this is how we were going to be defended. What specific wrinkles in formation has he deployed? Any new creative 2-TE sets to get more blocking on the field to help the run game? Deployment of two RB sets? Everett as a FB? I haven't seen us try any of these against the 6-1. If teams are actively taking away our outside zone in 11 personnel, why are we continuing to run the same formations and play into it? That's the part that's been bugging me, McVay knows how important the run game is to us, cant he scheme the OL help in some way? I know that's asking a lot when we don't even run the ball on 3rd and 1 :palm: .

sjm1582002

Wanted everywhere but welcome nowhere
Seems like a 6 -1 front would be very susceptible to I formation runs right up the gut.

A monster FB, heavy TE, or reserve OL leads Gurley/Brown and destroys the lone LB.

Once a safety starts cheating up its PA bombs away.

Bootleg

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How about we run something other than 11 personnel though McVay? ... Deployment of two RB sets? Everett as a FB?
I was thinking the same thing. The only answer I can come up with is McVay prefers to always present the same personnel set on most every play to disguise and confuse. It's the core of his offensive philosophy and he doesn't want to give that up.

Also, if a full back or dual tight end is brought in, then Cooper Kupp is probably the one to sit. Maybe McVay feels he has to keep his best players on the field most of the time? I don't know. Just guessing because for sure he's thought of changing the set, right?

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Seems like a 6 -1 front would be very susceptible to I formation runs right up the gut.

A monster FB, heavy TE, or reserve OL leads Gurley/Brown and destroys the lone LB.

Once a safety starts cheating up its PA bombs away.
Maybe..but isn't that a "tell" that says we are about to do a run up the gut? For this to work, we'd have to keep the FB or OL in the game for a good chunk of the time...Don't know if I like that..

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
How about we run something other than 11 personnel though McVay?

We experimented on the 10 personnel in week 1 with Woods, Cooks, Kupp, and Reynolds on the field; had mixed results there. Would be nice to see the 12 personnel with Everett and Higbee on the field at the same time; would make for a dynamic offense to make the play action more effective

sjm1582002

Wanted everywhere but welcome nowhere
Maybe..but isn't that a "tell" that says we are about to do a run up the gut? For this to work, we'd have to keep the FB or OL in the game for a good chunk of the time...Don't know if I like that..

Just throwing stuff out there.

Also like to see more quick hitting passing and I'm not sure whether the lack of it is due to play design/calls or, Goff choosing to hold the ball and take deep shots.

Goff's performance against Cleveland's 2nd string secondary was not real encouraging.

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
Run up the gut. Higbee in motion turns before handoff to block inside. Another play with him in motion and he keeps going past that spot and then PA. Or runs through hole for short pass vacated by a charging defender. That's run or pass to guess from for starters right there, still at 11 personnel. We should run up the middle if they spread their front 6 like that. Or quick pass to Kupp or Woods running a short crossing pattern.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
in hopes of once again stifling the Rams’ rushing attack, and in turn, offense. And to this point, it has worked. The Rams are currently ranked 7th in the league in rushing yards per game (123.7) and 16th in yards per rush attempt (4.3)
Averaging over 25 points a game. What's the definition of figured out?

If being 7th in rushing yards per game is shutting down our rushing offense, I'll take it.

NoCoNite

ILoveGoffBalls
Name
ILoveGoffBalls
we Beat the panthers at home, we beat an obviously tough saints team.
We held a hyped up browns offense to 13 points at home.
Sean’s got 4 game tapes to figure out this defensive scheme. That were averaging over 20 points game against.

Goff has to learn how to handle pressure better.

It’s about time for Gurley to open up with what’s going on with him.
Woods and Goff need to get on the same page.
The Oline took a step back.

But In Kupp I trust. The defense is also playing at an amazing level.

MachS

Hall of Fame
We experimented on the 10 personnel in week 1 with Woods, Cooks, Kupp, and Reynolds on the field; had mixed results there. Would be nice to see the 12 personnel with Everett and Higbee on the field at the same time; would make for a dynamic offense to make the play action more effective

Yea I like the 4 and 5-wide sets in known passing situations, but I was more referring to how we're going to get the run game going against the 6-1 fronts. I agree 12 personnel might be the way to go because the defense is filling every gap, and in 3-WR sets we don't have the beef to get enough push up front. If we had a dominant o-line, or if they were playing close to last year it might not be as big a deal. But when our o-line is not playing well, I don't know how we're going to run our outside zones against that defensive front if we're in 11 personnel. Running straight up the gut like @sjm1582002 and @Classic Rams said seems to be our best bet, but are we stout enough in the middle up front to do that?

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
It seems like the Rams are determined to find a way to stay productive in 11 against this 6-1 front. They must believe in the scheme and players to figure it out.

Sure, they could abandon what has proven to fit our personnel perfectly, but if they can beat it consistently, they will be better than ever and opposing coordinators will be back to the drawing board searching for answers.

And let's be honest - considering the rust and work in progress O-line, our O has been scoring 25 a game and is clearly comfortable winning with all 3 phases if they can't do it with the O alone.

Don't forget, McVay is in charge of our Defense too. If he had wanted to put more resources and money on our Offense, I'm sure he could have bolstered our interior line where a lot of our issues are getting magnified. McVay might be an offensive mind but his job is to win us as many games as possible, however he can. He is doing that. So well in fact that 3 weeks into his 3rd season his Rams have NEVER not been in 1st place of the nfcw.

I think our offense is about to break out and the next team to load 6 on the LOS will be the first ones to regret it.

Last edited: