Has Los Angeles Rams’ Head Coach Sean McVay’s offense been figured out ?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
15th in avg. yards per attempt though.
That's still (barely) above the 50% mark. Not being snarky here, but I guess he could stop using the run since it's been less effective. I don't think that will help much.

I think there's a couple of things happening that have nothing to do with the scheme.

1. Todd Gurley looks like a less viscous and determined runner this year than last. Just to my eye. Not saying it's his knee, not saying it's his attitude, not saying it's the o-line. Just saying it's a thing.

2. Goff continues to take shots downfield and ignore receivers open underneath. It worked out pretty damn well last year. This year we're returning to average there. It is what it is.

I don't think it's the scheme. I think it's the way the players are playing in the scheme. Not to say McVay doesn't make mistakes. I don't understand runs up the middle from bunched up formations with 3 WRs. They may be good at blocking, but it's too many darn bodies in the exact place we want to run. And I don't get have 12 fake jet sweeps to ever 1 real jet sweep. No one respects the fake anymore.

But I'm not a bad ass OC, so I may be missing something.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Someone has figured out "tells" of our O. Run vs Pass.

The Patriots knew what was coming based on what TE was on the field. I'm sure McVay fixed that. One of the Patriots players said it in a postgame interview.

My take on beating the 6-1 front, or at least forcing the defense out of it is to run out of 4-5 wide sets. They cannot be in a 6-1 with 4-5 receivers on the field. If they stay in that formation with 4 receivers they have single coverage and NO safety help and there isn't a DC on the planet that wants to do that. Obviously they have to come out of it altogether in a 5 receiver set.

One of the innovative things Martz did was to run Faulk out of 4-5 wide sets and it worked really well.

McVay needs to do that a hand full of times and teams will loosen up.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
The Patriots knew what was coming based on what TE was on the field. I'm sure McVay fixed that. One of the Patriots players said it in a postgame interview.

My take on beating the 6-1 front, or at least forcing the defense out of it is to run out of 4-5 wide sets. They cannot be in a 6-1 with 4-5 receivers on the field. If they stay in that formation with 4 receivers they have single coverage and NO safety help and there isn't a DC on the planet that wants to do that. Obviously they have to come out of it altogether in a 5 receiver set.

One of the innovative things Martz did was to run Faulk out of 4-5 wide sets and it worked really well.

Was it the Carolina game our entire first series we ran empty backfield?

EastRam

Pro Bowler

Yea. That's what I had read about the TEs in the SB.

I believe there's more.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
I actually don't remember

Just rewatched; it wasn't a whole series. It was only our 1st and 3rd plays. This was our first offensive play of 2019:
d.png

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
McVay knows what he is doing. Blame the sluggishness on the young o-line, execution, and the loss of Gurley's mojo. But we are 3-0, and the offense is due for a blowout!