Harvin-Austin

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Percy has never done punts. Not reading the rest because if you can't even get that right, why read the rest?
he returned punts yesterday, and you don't ever, EVER have to read my posts...After they removed Earl, Percy caught one for no yardage.....I guess your the site genius?

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
he returned punts yesterday, and you don't ever, EVER have to read my posts...After they removed Earl, Percy caught one for no yardage.....I guess your the site genius?

One time in his career doesn't mean he returns punts and kickoffs now and he's not a punt returner at all. If you know anything about him, you know he doesn't do punts. Therefore you can't say he STILL returns punts (direct quote) when he's never done it. Using his first and only punt return to try and say he's more physical is just stupid. It makes no sense.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
One time in his career doesn't mean he returns punts and kickoffs now and he's not a punt returner at all. If you know anything about him, you know he doesn't do punts. Therefore you can't say he STILL returns punts (direct quote) when he's never done it. Using his first and only punt return to try and say he's more physical is just stupid. It makes no sense.
This will be my last comment on this subject...I wasn't using his punt returns, his kickoffs, his sweeps, or his catches as justification as to his physicality, although it shows me that the coaches believe he can handle all these duties with no problem. He plays more physical because he is...Watch how he runs, watch how he fights for yards, look where he catches his passes. If you can't see he is a different type of athlete, the word you directed at me that begins with an "S" and ends with a "D" maybe describes your football acumen.

RamWoodie

Legend
Just look at how TA made the Cards miss on that play! Harvin has nothing on TA!!! This year, he knows the speed of the NFL...and HOW to use his speed.

That's the first time I really saw how he hurt that ankle...that was UGLY!!

whitehops

UDFA
harvin is a very physical runner although I wouldn't be surprised if the seahawks are trying to avoid putting him in situations like that too often. he's one of those guys who will lower his shoulder into guys when they try to hit him.

here's an example (and a ton of foreshadowing haha):

am I allowed to embed that video?

also about the playcalling with harvin, the seahawks' OC is Darrell bevell who was the Vikings' OC back when harvin played there so he has had years to think up plays and schemes for harvin. I'm certain with a little more time schottenheimer will be able to use tavon more effectively, a good part of it is trial and error.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why do you think Percy still returns punt & kickoffs, while Tavon only does punts?

He doesn't. Harvin didn't return a single punt against GB. In fact, Tavon did both punts and kickoffs last year while Harvin hasn't returned a punt in his CAREER. I think you've got them flipped.

Tavon was given ample opportunity to prove he was a game changing player last year...the first 6 games if I'm correct. He led the team in drops.

He was a rookie and wasn't comfortable with the playbook. He dropped 0 passes over the next 7 games. If you have bad hands, you have bad hands. Players with bad hands don't go from dropping a lot of passes to dropping none at all.

I'm getting tired of having to talk about patience. In fact, I won't. Go ahead and judge what players are or aren't based solely on their rookie years. You can go ahead and let me know how accurate you are in the future. :rolleyes:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
He doesn't. Harvin didn't return a single punt against GB. In fact, Tavon did both punts and kickoffs last year while Harvin hasn't returned a punt in his CAREER. I think you've got them flipped.

He was a rookie and wasn't comfortable with the playbook. He dropped 0 passes over the next 7 games. If you have bad hands, you have bad hands. Players with bad hands don't go from dropping a lot of passes to dropping none at all.

I'm getting tired of having to talk about patience. In fact, I won't. Go ahead and judge what players are or aren't based solely on their rookie years. You can go ahead and let me know how accurate you are in the future. :rolleyes:
My bad about the punts..he did fair catch one last night...but my main point was physicality.....Several slot wr's are typically physical...and take hits....as for rookie production, I am patient. Hell, I still believe in Brian Quick....But for people to compare Percy & Tavon....different monsters...

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But for people to compare Percy & Tavon....different monsters...

In this thread, people aren't comparing Tavon to Percy as much as comparing the way Percy is used to the way Tavon can be used. Tavon can take hits. No, Tavon isn't going to break tackles but he's also got a step or two on Harvin. And the plays the Seahawks were using last night for the most part did not involve Harvin breaking tackles or being physical. Just getting him to the edge/space and letting him use his speed to create positive plays.

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
I am not sure that the Ram's will/should model his Tavon based on how Seattle uses Percy. They are different type of players except for straight line speed.

Seahawks just busted out the Veer option from the 70s. You have to have a QB that can scare you on a backside as a runner and decision maker (Wilson), inside RB with vision and ability to bounce to the outside (BMode) and a speed back who can do it all (Harvin). Rams do not have that group.

I look for the Rams to use Austin more like Pittsburg will use Dri Archer and the Cardinals will use John Brown. That is more motion from side to side to get him moving at the snap count, as a change of pace RB, and a lot of time as an outside WR.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
At the end of that video, it sounded like Pete Carroll was guilty of tampering a bit... You're not supposed to be expressing ANY interest in opposing players. Even HINTING at interest is a huge no-no.

But, this is Pete Carroll, so...

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I am not sure that the Ram's will/should model his Tavon based on how Seattle uses Percy. They are different type of players except for straight line speed.

Seahawks just busted out the Veer option from the 70s. You have to have a QB that can scare you on a backside as a runner and decision maker (Wilson), inside RB with vision and ability to bounce to the outside (BMode) and a speed back who can do it all (Harvin). Rams do not have that group.

I look for the Rams to use Austin more like Pittsburg will use Dri Archer and the Cardinals will use John Brown. That is more motion from side to side to get him moving at the snap count, as a change of pace RB, and a lot of time as an outside WR.
Boom. Nailed it.

Nice avatar by the way. Love Friesians.

Memphis Ram

Legend

I don't believe this is true. It's doubtful Geno Smith scared anyone as a backside runner in college.

With Austin they simply had a small, speedy, quick player difficult to see behind the line of scrimmage and they provided good blocking for him.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
harvin is a very physical runner although I wouldn't be surprised if the seahawks are trying to avoid putting him in situations like that too often. he's one of those guys who will lower his shoulder into guys when they try to hit him.

also about the playcalling with harvin, the seahawks' OC is Darrell bevell who was the Vikings' OC back when harvin played there so he has had years to think up plays and schemes for harvin. I'm certain with a little more time schottenheimer will be able to use tavon more effectively, a good part of it is trial and error.

A big key to Harvin vs. other punt returners is that he fields punts like a baseball outfielder does a pop up, IOW stepping forward fielding it high instead of the backwards momentum basket catch gains him two to three steps .

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich

A big key to Harvin vs. other punt returners is that he fields punts like a baseball outfielder does a pop up, IOW stepping forward fielding it high instead of the backwards momentum basket catch gains him two to three steps .