Happy with the moves today?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

You have with the Snead moves today?

• Total voters

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Who cares where he was drafted 2 years ago. Look at it this way: If he was worth so much because of where he was drafted 2 years ago, why was someone willing to sell him for so little? You're using the same logic I see people use when it comes to stock trading, convinced some stock is just going to keep going up and up forever and ever. If that was true, why would someone be willing to sell it to you?

And yes, Ramsey is a steal...if you're the Jaguars. Very few positions on the field are worth giving up 2 1sts and a 4th, and CB isn't one of them.

Ramsey is definitely a steal for the Rams. He's probably the best cornerback in the league at twenty-four. He's only going to get better.

As for Corbett...it's Cleveland, man. The Browns have been making poor decisions since they came into the league. And they're in a new system that doesn't fit Corbett's skillset. And we bought low. A 2021 fifth is nothing compared to a potential starter at guard.

jap

Legend
Andrew Whitworth: "Do all these moves mean that I get my Super Bowl win before I retire?"

Eric Weddle: "Like damn! I was just thinking the exact same thing!!!"

Clay Matthews: "I knew I made the right move coming out to the Land of La La!!!"

Poppinfresh

Rookie
Ramsey is definitely a steal for the Rams. He's probably the best cornerback in the league at twenty-four. He's only going to get better.

As for Corbett...it's Cleveland, man. The Browns have been making poor decisions since they came into the league. And they're in a new system that doesn't fit Corbett's skillset. And we bought low. A 2021 fifth is nothing compared to a potential starter at guard.

No, we paid a fair price for a player that was taken too high and hasn't panned out. And because of bias, we're calling him better than he is. Then we bought super high on a position that doesn't warrant that kind of capital surrender, especially given our glaring holes in other more important areas, and looking ahead to how many current Rams we're going to be saying goodbye to next season. Is Ramsey better than who we would draft in the 1st next year? The odds are astronomically in favor of that. However, the big value to a 1st round pick isn't whether they'll immediately be elite or not, it's the 5 years of control at a low price. We're buying Ramsey at the absolute highest point. He and his agent are going to bend the team over the barrel and make them give up, what, 16 million a year for him probably? And then what happens? Oh, he'll "keep getting better"? Because as we all know, every player who ever signs a huge deal with giant guaranteed money ALWAYS lives up to that contract and doesn't develop fat cat syndrome. Right? And given Ramsey's already proven low-value-human mentality, betting on him working hard to ensure the team gets every nickel of value out of whatever absurd deal he's about to get is far from a sure thing. When you factor in that we're taking a guy with serious maturity and headcase issues and plopping him into Hollywood (which is a bad place for a guy like him) makes it even worse.

The only positions on the field worthy of giving up multiple 1sts are QB, LT, and LB. Full stop. With the only exceptions being if you happen to come along a generational talent like Donald. Ramsey's a great player, but he's not generational.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
No, we paid a fair price for a player that was taken too high and hasn't panned out. And because of bias, we're calling him better than he is. Then we bought super high on a position that doesn't warrant that kind of capital surrender, especially given our glaring holes in other more important areas, and looking ahead to how many current Rams we're going to be saying goodbye to next season. Is Ramsey better than who we would draft in the 1st next year? The odds are astronomically in favor of that. However, the big value to a 1st round pick isn't whether they'll immediately be elite or not, it's the 5 years of control at a low price. We're buying Ramsey at the absolute highest point. He and his agent are going to bend the team over the barrel and make them give up, what, 16 million a year for him probably? And then what happens? Oh, he'll "keep getting better"? Because as we all know, every player who ever signs a huge deal with giant guaranteed money ALWAYS lives up to that contract and doesn't develop fat cat syndrome. Right? And given Ramsey's already proven low-value-human mentality, betting on him working hard to ensure the team gets every nickel of value out of whatever absurd deal he's about to get is far from a sure thing. When you factor in that we're taking a guy with serious maturity and headcase issues and plopping him into Hollywood (which is a bad place for a guy like him) makes it even worse.

The only positions on the field worthy of giving up multiple 1sts are QB, LT, and LB. Full stop. With the only exceptions being if you happen to come along a generational talent like Donald. Ramsey's a great player, but he's not generational.

*sigh* Where do I start...I'll be frank: I disagree with basically everything you say.

Ramsey has more than panned out. He's the best cover corner in the NFL; even as a first round pick, that means that he's elite. I'll ask you honestly: have you watched Ramsey play? Have you seen all of the little things he does right, the solid tackling, being sticky in coverage, the ability to flip his hips with ease, his recovery speed, his ball skills? You can't name another cornerback who does all of these things in the NFL right now, and you probably can't name a corner who could do it all like that since prime Revis Island. Ramsey is elite.

Getting an elite player for picks makes the trade worth it. Look at Jared Goff; you think that the Titans wish they didn't trade with us after all of their picks didn't pan out?

As for five years of control at a low price? I'd take the bird in the hand over two in the bush.

And he'd be worth it. Because while he wants his money, he's not going to slack off with guys like Wade, Weddle, and Aubrey Pleasant. As for the "low-value-human mentality" and the "Hollywood" thing, I'm speechless. You do not know the guy.

Ramsey is an elite talent who will make an immediate positive impact. He's well worth the price, especially when we win it all.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

If you're so unhappy I think you should boycott the team. And all rams forums. That'll show them.

TexasRam

Legend
I think it takes balls to make the moves we did, but they had to be made to give us a chance and I salute MCvay and Les for not pussyfooting around and trying something. Ramsey is a top 10 talent in the NFL and worth 2 late first round picks absolutely. Peters had to go. He was compromising the defense constantly. Shoot, we would have stomped Seattle if Peters didn't give up 2 TD's. One by the air and one by not tackling.

The Rams under Kroenke's direction, as others have observed are following the Patriots Model to a large extent. The Pats spare no expense at DB. It's an absolute must for the Pats to always aquire top CB's. What they do defensively with Gilmore is a big part of their success.

If we can get one more interior Oline player I think we have a shot this year for another deep playoff run. But if we keep rolling the dice with unproven lineman its not going to work.

I was not a fan of signing Fowler big money over Saffold and saw this whole thing coming once they did that.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Voted WTF because there are positives and minuses to this, and its a big risk/big reward trade.

Positives: I liked Peters and felt we didnt get enough for him. BUT, if Kenny Young can ball - even a bit, and IF Corbett isn't an absolute waste of space, then we got better I suppose. Then you add Ramsey - who is still young, and worth definitely 1 first round pick we got much better.

Concerns: I think the problem is we all look at our cap position and see trouble ahead. I dont know how thats going to pan out, other than by thinking someone is going to miss out.
Secondly, I have big concerns over Ramsey's character when the chips are down. Faking an injury so he didnt practice, and wanting to be traded to a scheme which will play more man to man for his stats (which it looks like we'll be doing) so he gets paid more in free agency...that doesn't bode well for me.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
The Rams clearly have a strategy that to hit 100% of the time with those 1st round draft picks, you trade the value of them for something proven.

And... If we felt Peters wasn’t the long term option, get something in return now. I support that!

There is also a bit of momentum with these deals, potentially. I mean, you can feel the fresh buzz in the air.... Start winning and that playoff momentum could build! I’m sure that’s the plan anyway.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wow shit goes when you’re asleep you wake up and bam Ramsey’s a ram

I love the thought of having a player of Jalens Calibre with this team and is clearly one of the best corners in the game right now

I was hoping for some 1st round talent in this years draft but I guess McVay and Snead don’t value them like the rest of us

I will say this .. I’ve seen a lot of people talking about cap space .. long term deals etc .. I’ll just say this ...this deal didn’t happen overnight you can betoes has been speaking to the jags since the whole trade me drama started .. the rams do not make this deal without some fore thought to the future in terms of re signing cap space contracts etc I’ll defer to them they know way more about this than we do

tempests

Hall of Fame
First round drafts are so damn risky.

Are they?

The last three players we drafted in the 1st round were Donald, Gurley and Goff. That' s not a bad winning streak. And I would argue that was the foundation of what turned the Rams program around.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
I'm torn. Don't get me wrong-- Ramsey is probably the best pure cover corner in the league... but I wasnt exactly a fan of his Brinks truck antics earlier in the year. Dude wants to be the highest paid corner in the league. We already have a ton of money (around $95 mil) invested in Gurley, Goff, Donald and Cooks next year alone. Add Ramsey's $13 mil and it's like half our cap space is invested in five players. I'm not sure that's a good thing given how many holes there'll be in this roster next year.

We need to rebuild the trenches next year. Honestly, Donald is the only lineman on this team I care about returning. Everyone else has seemingly underperformed this season.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Who cares where he was drafted 2 years ago. Look at it this way: If he was worth so much because of where he was drafted 2 years ago, why was someone willing to sell him for so little? You're using the same logic I see people use when it comes to stock trading, convinced some stock is just going to keep going up and up forever and ever. If that was true, why would someone be willing to sell it to you?

And yes, Ramsey is a steal...if you're the Jaguars. Very few positions on the field are worth giving up 2 1sts and a 4th, and CB isn't one of them.

In this passing league, I think CBs are more important than any position other than QB. A shut down corner literally changes the modeling of the game in a way that no other position other than QB does.

Even when Deion played, I'd have agreed with you, but I think the league gets it. Stop the pass and you're going to win.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Are they?

The last three players we drafted in the 1st round were Donald, Gurley and Goff. That' s not a bad winning streak. And I would argue that was the foundation of what turned the Rams program around.

True, but they were all top half of the draft picks.

Also, you can't count the 2017 draft because we gave up those picks for Goff.

in 2018 we got Brandin Cooks and there was no one remotely as good at the 23rd spot where we were drafting.

in 2019 we traded down and tot Taylor Rapp and David Long for the 31st pick.

The Rams didn't like any of the 6 OTs that went from 31 to 61 more than they seemed to want Taylor Rapp. Who knows, maybe Erik McCoy was on their radar and they though they'd get him and he got away. I dunno.

But it's not like we got nothing and in each case, there was a solid evaluation of what the opportunity cost of making the trade was and the alternative of drafting wasn't what they were looking for.

Just seems that we valued certain players over rookies. Considering we won 13 games last year, it's hard to argue with the plan thus far.

This year we've got injuries, rooks not stepping up and a scheme problem we didn't have last year and we're 1 made FG from being 4-2.

I think the FO is being very mindful to target players in the draft, but also understand that sometimes, exceptional players are worth the risk.

It's not moneyball, but it's def a way to focus on exceptional talent and then competent production from rooks.

1st round draft picks are simply a better chance at a reasonable price to get production. Rams are going with a more aggressive hybrid approach and if they get this OL worked out, they'll still be geniuses...

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
Even though I like and respect them as players, I have to admit I would not be upset if Cooks and Gurley were moved. However, that may be next to impossible given their current contracts.

Last edited:

Mackeyser

Name
Mack

I dunno about Corbett. We'll see if it was scheme mismatch or if he was the Browns version of Barrett Jones.

You don't know we're getting Ramsey at his apex price point. He's ONLY 24. If he rips off 5 straight All-Pro seasons, will we still contend we shoulda taken a couple cracks at the draft wheel?

Also, his Spotrac valuation is 5 years, $85M or $17M per and he's worth that. This is a passing league and the ability to shut down a team's primary receiver is paramount and literally changes the game.

I can't address the personal attacks on him beyond saying that people said the same garbage about Marcus Peters and while he was a talker and wasn't everyone's cup of tea, he played hurt, he owned his mistakes, he didn't fret about his contract and he wasn't a problem on or off the field. He didn't fulfill a single dire prediction about melting down or having issues with the coaching staff.

I also can't address your singular lack of faith in this coaching staff and FO. People fretted about Peters, Talib and others and? Nothing. There have been ZERO issues. All of the hand-wringing and prognostication that one guy could come here and cause the house of cards to collapse have proven false because it's not a house of cards. We have solid leadership and when you really drill down, Ramsey is a passionate player who wants to win.

I guess people forget what Gurley and AD sounded like at the end of 2016... They sounded kinda sour with all the losing we were doing.

Lastly, you're crazy if you think LB, 3-4 OLB or 4-3 DE are worth 2 1st rounders. I would argue that the league gets it that it's QB, LT and shut down CB.

By the way, the last CB to be traded for huge compensation and really work out for a team played for Wade Philips in this same D and he was a CB/S player who was HoF at both. So yeah, in this defense, this scheme... Ramsey is not only the perfect fit, he's going to be worth the picks.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Voted WTF because there are positives and minuses to this, and its a big risk/big reward trade.

Positives: I liked Peters and felt we didnt get enough for him. BUT, if Kenny Young can ball - even a bit, and IF Corbett isn't an absolute waste of space, then we got better I suppose. Then you add Ramsey - who is still young, and worth definitely 1 first round pick we got much better.

Concerns: I think the problem is we all look at our cap position and see trouble ahead. I dont know how thats going to pan out, other than by thinking someone is going to miss out.
Secondly, I have big concerns over Ramsey's character when the chips are down. Faking an injury so he didnt practice, and wanting to be traded to a scheme which will play more man to man for his stats (which it looks like we'll be doing) so he gets paid more in free agency...that doesn't bode well for me.

You can blame Seattle for that.

Thomas played and broke his leg and was cost millions because the team wouldn't trade him.

If you don't think the lesson from THAT wasn't the biggest lesson the players learned in the past few years, lemme help you out.

That's why guys who want to be traded sit out (Trent Williams) or make mountains out of molehill injuries (Ramsey). I mean Washington wants Williams to risk a potential $60M payday for what? half a season with the chance that if he's injured his career is over and he sees NONE of that $60M? nah...

Nope, Seattle's treatment of Earl Thomas really cemented in player's minds that if you want to be traded, you have to go to the mattresses.

Ellard80

Legend
I put that I liked the move.. but only if we get him for multiple years.

Otherwise we got fleeced.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I like all the moves....I thought Peters could cover better, glad he's been sent packing and Ramsey is head & shoulders better and IMO, Ramsey will be on his best behavior now being on the big stage.

Austin Corbett offers an opportunity and I believe it's someone Kromer liked coming out. Quick feet and I would love to see the Rams give him a shot at LG as I am concerned how long Noteboom's rehab will take tearing both the ACL & MCL.

Kenny Young is a player I loved at UCLA so I'm anxious to see him in this defense, so over all, I'm happy as a clam.

1571233752696.png