Gurley/Melvin Gordon

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JackStraw

Rookie
Anyone who follows the B1G is way more shocked over how much Gordon flopped his rookie year compared to his success this season

Kid was king among multiple talented RB draftees from B1G that year...Tevin Coleman, Ameer Abdullah, David Cobb, Jeremy Langford.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
FIFY

9th most attempts in the league (he is getting the ball)
40th in average yards per carry
96th in longest run from scrimmage
Yes it hurts to believe but do you believe that everyone in front of him statistically is getting a better shake

I hate ranking like these because like you said he has the 9th most attempts but i bet on that list he probably have guys ahead of him with only 10 carries on the season. How about finding out how many of his carries he got hit in the backfield how many unblocked defenders he face every game. The run game is one aspect when everyone has to be in sync. Last year our run blocking was very good and our pass pro was lacking rhis year is a complete turn around. But tell me this do you think opposing d Coordinators have the same view as some of you. That Gurley isnt a top 10 back. Hell even Fisher just said its not a Gurley problem, its not him personally. Thats out of our head coaching mouth and they have access to ALL of the film not just the quick snap we see on tv. So forgive me for not worrying about one of the only offensive weapons we have.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
What is disappointing to me is that Gurley is running like he either doesn't know the plays or he doesn't have the vision to find the holes when they are there.
He just seems to be out of sync with the scheme.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
@Dxmissile, I hear your frustration and I to am frustrated we are a knowledgeable fan base. I think we both view the necessary intricacies of the run game with the same philosophy it is our view on Todd's development that differs. Like Fisher says of course it is not on Gurley "Alone" but watching the available all 22 and slowing down plays and watching Todd I am seeing poor timing and questionable vision at times.
The comments about Gordons rookie year being the anomaly and this is the real Gordon maybe true but remember one thing he almost always ran out of a 2 back set in college. Then he became a pro and was playing as a feature in a single back, It makes a difference and may partially explain his deficiencies last year. Lets just all hope that we get Todd going and show some development in places of question before the next season. Change is in our future

Last edited:

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I dont think it has anything to do with his development per se. I think 2 things happened. 1 the run blocking has gotten drastically worst. 2. At the beginning of the year Todd was patient trying to find the right holes and let his block development but then he always got tackle at or near the line of scrimmage. So now as soon as he see a sliver of a hole he attempts to go through it. By no means im saying Todd has been perfect but too me its definitely more line problems then Gurley. Todd is still on pace for a 1000 yard year, at the same time he has shown to be a very reliable pass catcher something we clamoring about last year. And the run he had out of the wild cat shows he is still the same Gurley of last year outstanding explosiveness and speed when he is out in space and actually have room.

rafa

Starter
Name
Rafael
200_s.gif

ram007

Starter
If you are a superstar, break a game or two for your team with your talent. That's all I will say

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I agree, these kind of threads can be tiresome, but in fairness in comp'ing the players listed. Gordon has been running behind a line that has been a bunch of moving parts all year. Against New Orleans they went through 4 LT's and put up 34 points. They also lost 4 lineman that game. Our own J Barksdale has been moving around the line all year. Its not like Gordon is running behind the Dallas line.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I knew @NateDawg122 would chime in...

This is week 9...or is it 10? Whatever....not concerned in the least...Although Melvin has been impressive...Nothing like Gurley was last year...and Zeke...I tell all Cowboys fans...the ones that talk about ED's record...call me back when he gets to 1500...then we'll talk.

Gurley avg. 4.0 a carry yesterday..Don't know what the hell Boras was calling...or Keenum was audibiling to...but again 46 attempts passing... I don't even know how many rushes Todd, Tavon, Benny, and Malcolm had...probably around 19

I agree, these kind of threads can be tiresome, but in fairness in comp'ing the players listed. Gordon has been running behind a line that has been a bunch of moving parts all year. Against New Orleans they went through 4 LT's and put up 34 points. They also lost 4 lineman that game. Our own J Barksdale has been moving around the line all year. Its not like Gordon is running behind the Dallas line.
So true....Pitt's line with Bell isn't much to me either. What is it that makes the defenders sit back on their heels??? Hmmmm? Perhaps it's the future HOF'ers taking the snaps????