Guess who Kyle Shanahan's Agent is..................

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Basically that if they hire Kyle, that there really wasn't any real search...That this has been planned for some time...I would think Marvin and Kevin speak frequently. Following the Rooney rule to me isn't just some interview...it's the serious consideration of minority candidates for the HC position.
And I think the reason Fisher was the 2nd highest paid coach was a direct result of Kevin negotiating with his father. The more Fisher made, the more Marvin was paid. Conflict. Who's best interest is Kevin representing, the teams (Stan K) or his father?
Tampa knew they were promoting Koetter when they bagged Lovie. Atlanta knew they were hiring Quinn while they were awaiting him to be available. Its like this in most corporate environments, you know who you want to hire but have to got thru the motions to show you acted in good faith.
Now I don't think Shanahan is the leader in the clubhouse, I've seen numerous articles saying one guy or another was the favorite.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
402b8727d26f5348cca5abcc9e63ce31.jpg

Not a bad approximation.

FRO

Legend
Kyle would be a great fit for Goff and Gurley. Hope he makes a great HC. Martz was a brilliant offensive mind and made the GSOT work. He was a poor HC though. Great coordinators don't necessarily make great HCs. That being said I would take the chance on him. If he fails he'll be no different than the last 3 coaches.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Who's best interest is Kevin representing, the teams (Stan K) or his father?
Kevin negotiates with autonomy, but Stan can still put a cap on a contract before the negotiations begin. Kevin has also said negotiating with his dad is markedly more difficult than dealing with other agents. Marvin is widely regarded as one of the more shrewd negotiators in the industry. Also the Rams were competing against the Dolphins, and that's the reason his salary was as high as it was. It was also initially reported that Ross was going to outbid everyone no matter the price.

Per the Miami Herald:

Ross has the deep pockets necessary to pay what he must to hire Fisher and he apparently does not want to be seen as incapable of landing the most prized coach on the market -- at least not as a result of being outbid. The NFL source said Fisher understands the Dolphins are prepared to outbid all other teams. But he has other concerns, such as the team's structure, that he must overcome before deciding if he wants to work in Miami or not.

[source]

Per the Rooney Rule, what makes you think the Rams are just going to go through the motions with regard to interviewing minority coaches? They're not going to leave any stone unturned, but that doesn't mean they should go ahead and interview comparatively unqualified candidates simply because they're minorities. That just makes the rule a sham. To that end, I think the NFL has come a long way in the hiring of minority coaches anyway. It doesn't appear that they're getting the shaft in favor of teams only wanting white coaches. It's not the 50's anymore.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Following the Rooney rule to me isn't just some interview...it's the serious consideration of minority candidates for the HC position.

How do you quantify that? And who are the candidates that measure up to Shanahan and McDaniels?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
How do you quantify that? And who are the candidates that measure up to Shanahan and McDaniels?

Teryl Austin, Anthony Lynn & Vance Joseph...This is how you quantify, you sometimes don't know who's out there unless you interview them. Mike Tomlin is an excellent example, the Steelers were set to hire Russ Grimm, however, they interviewed Tomlin just based on their own rule and wound one with one of the top Head Coaches in the NFL, so you never know unless you give somebody an interview and sometimes that is all they need.

Last edited:

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I've heard his name how does he rate? How long has be been in the league? The picture looks like he is with the gators. Shanahan has been the OC at 4 different NFL clubs, McD has had a HC gig already.

I hate the Rooney rule because it really accomplishes nothing.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
So this is his second year as a DC and has never been a HC at college or NFL level. That does not put him in the same league as Shanahan and McD

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
So this is his second year as a DC and has never been a HC at college or NFL level. That does not put him in the same league as Shanahan and McD

Well, I believe it puts him on the same ground, great position coach and has done very well as a DC, you truly never know. Others are out there, but sometimes you have to factor certain things in as well. IMO the NFL needs to start giving minorities more opportunities to be coordinators because that is where the majority of Head Coaches come from.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Well, I believe it puts him on the same ground, great position coach and has done very well as a DC, you truly never know. Others are out there, but sometimes you have to factor certain things in as well. IMO the NFL needs to start giving minorities more opportunities to be coordinators because that is where the majority of Head Coaches come from.
Not the right format but why is ethnicity a job qualification? Just give me the best guy for the job I don't care about anything other than their ability to turn this franchise in to a winner.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Yes, it does. He was one of the most respected DB Coaches in the NFL for a number of years. He got a chance to be DC in Detroit and has that defense overachieving. His first year there, they finished #3 in the NFL in points allowed. This year, they're currently #10 in the NFL in points allowed. Look at the talent on Detroit's defense. They're not very talented. They've overachieved on defense in two of his three years there.

Let's look at some of the current quality head coaches:
Mike Tomlin - DC for 1 year prior to being named Steelers coach; No HC experience
Mike McCarthy - OC for 5 years prior to being named Packers coach; No HC experience
Asshole Face - OC for 3 years prior to being named Saints coach; No HC experience
Adam Gase - OC for 3 years prior to being named Dolphins coach; No HC experience
Ben McAdoo - OC for 2 years prior to being named Giants coach; No HC experience
Jason Garrett - OC for 4 years prior to being named Cowboys coach; No HC experience
Dan Quinn - DC for 2 years prior to being named Falcons coach; No HC experience

Point being that Austin has a HC resume. In fact, he has a career track that's very similar to Dan Quinn's. He actually was Dan Quinn's predecessor at Florida as Defensive Coordinator.

Frankly, the fact that he doesn't have the gigantic flaming turd that is Denver on his resume like McDaniels boosts him over McDaniels for me. Kyle Shanahan is a better candidate. But he's also the strongest coordinator candidate on the market.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not the right format but why is ethnicity a job qualification? Just give me the best guy for the job I don't care about anything other than their ability to turn this franchise in to a winner.

It's not a job qualification. It's designed to make the process more fair. In a league that was majority black, the vast vast majority of coaches were white. That's why people pushed an agenda of giving minority coaches more opportunities. The majority white front offices hired by the white owners were hiring people they knew. Which created a situation where not many minority coaches were getting opportunities.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

Yes give me the best guy for the job, but when's the last time a potion coach was hired as a Head Coach?...The answer is John Harbaugh, let's be honest here, if you're not a coordinator most of the time there is no interview.

Agreed not the format, but those are the facts, however, at this point I just want the best person to lead the Rams and @OldSchool just posted that Ian Rapoport just reported on NFLN that Asshole Face is play for the Rams via trade and Ron Rivera also so let the games begin.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Great topic....never know where a thread is going...
that's exactly the point...how do we get the best candidate coaching in 2017? It's a damn shame that we haven't had a winning season in 13 years! so, we obviously haven't been getting it right in some time...Wonder if the same guys are doing the process? I'm guessing, the only hire these guys got right was Dick Vermeil...
jrry has basically spelled out the rule.den has explained the process...My take is, it's an aid to TRY and get the selection process more depth of candidates...that's it.
Look around the league...In the last 5 years, I've seen excellent candidates....Some I've never heard of, some screamed, "hire ME"...Gase is a prime example. I'm hoping Kyle is the best option, but I don't know what else is really out there. I'm positive Stan doesn't either...

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Agreed not the format, but those are the facts, however, at this point I just want the best person to lead the Rams and @OldSchool just posted that Ian Rapoport just reported on NFLN that Asshole Face is play for the Rams via trade and Ron Rivera also so let the games begin.

Rivera now on the trade block?? I might want him more than Payton but at what cost in a trade?