Gregg Williams old playbook (Bills)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Once again, it seems to me that you are making assumptions based on where a guy lines up, it automatically means a certain type of coverage will result. In real time, just think about the distance that can be made up. 9-10 yards just isn't what it appears to be to the naked eye. Lets assume that WR is going to run a QUICK SLANT. He breaks off the LOS, and the QB takes the snap drops ONE step and throws the ball. In the time this takes place, the WR is most likely covered 4-5 yards. Take the ball flight into account, and a CB who reads and "jumps" the route will close a minimum of the same 4-5 yards. That 9-10 "cushion" has evaporated pretty quickly. Teams to this to the Rams all the time, and whens the last time you have seen Chris Givens make an UNCONTESTED catch on a quick slant?

Now take the same situation, and the CB who is in "press" coverage gets beat to the inside on the same slant route. He is now in a trail position, and its off to the races if the QB gets the ball out. I'd rather take my chances with the aggressive CB coming up to make the play on the ball, rather than chasing the guy across the field hoping he has safety help in the middle.

And if they are in press with the aforementioned "blitz" calls that's not likely. When G. Williams uses this type of blitz package, he tends to play a single high safety, and there isn't much support for the CBs.

There will be times where the press coverage is utilized. It is best utilized when they can get pressure without blitzing, and you can play a "man-2" type of combination coverage. Man with the corners outside, pressing the WRs, and safety help over the top in the event the CBs get beat at the LOS. This will give the d-line the extra second or two, to get home with the pressure.

I don't mean to make it sound like I have all the answers here. Just trying to explain what I have seen, and the reasons why certain things happen with certain calls.

I think lining up that deep and jumping a route would rely on momentum. If the play starts and JJ and Tru immediately backpedal, there's no way you can jump a slant.

I never said anything about uncontested. As an offense if you gain 4 yards on every play you're going to get first downs all day long. A contested slant is still going to break out 4-6 yards on a completion.

Memphis Ram

Legend
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_5f24391b-f863-598a-b210-ba93ae249d50.html

Williams’ immediate concern is the secondary. He plans to play his safeties deep to serve as “overlap angels to run down things when mistakes are made in front of them.’’

“Nobody in the National Football League plays the safeties deeper than me. Nobody,’’ he said. “That’s because we’re going to play as aggressive as all get-out with our corners, linebackers and nickels.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I think lining up that deep and jumping a route would rely on momentum. If the play starts and JJ and Tru immediately backpedal, there's no way you can jump a slant.

I never said anything about uncontested. As an offense if you gain 4 yards on every play you're going to get first downs all day long. A contested slant is still going to break out 4-6 yards on a completion.

I think you missed my point. The cushion (9-10 yrds) that is present in this "playbook" are all part of a blitz package. When BLITZING, the last thing you want to do is compound the risk by putting your CBs in a do or die position. If the offense is able to execute (beat the blitz) and gain 4 yards, you live for the next play.

I maintain, that with the strength and depth of this defensive line, the NEED to blitz just to put pressure on the QB will be minimal. You seem to be thinking that any and every time they line up 9-10 yards off the ball, they will be conceding the slant. You also make a huge assumption, that just because they have the cushion, that the CBs will automatically be in a back pedal at the snap. Again, depending on the call, they may in fact have help over the top, and their first step is to jump the route.

They dot have to be in your face, full blown press to accomplish the same thing. And I know you aren't trying to say that you believe that if they are off on one play, they will continue to stay in that coverage the entire game? I conceded that there will be more press than with Walton, but people seem to think now that Williams is here, it will be in your face 100% of the time.

Not gonna happen. At least I'll say, I doubt seriously it does. One of his biggest strengths as a DC is being unpredictable. He will mix things up, and yes, take chances, but all within the confines and principles of Fishers defensive philosophy. And that is, and always will be do not give up the big play. In fact, a lot of the blitzes will be on run downs, selling out to stop the run and force teams into favorable down and distance situations.

I may be completely off base,, but I think I have a fairly good understanding of the scheme that is illustrated in this OP.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
I think you missed my point. The cushion (9-10 yrds) that is present in this "playbook" are all part of a blitz package. When BLITZING, the last thing you want to do is compound the risk by putting your CBs in a do or die position. If the offense is able to execute (beat the blitz) and gain 4 yards, you live for the next play.

I maintain, that with the strength and depth of this defensive line, the NEED to blitz just to put pressure on the QB will be minimal. You seem to be thinking that any and every time they line up 9-10 yards off the ball, they will be conceding the slant. You also make a huge assumption, that just because they have the cushion, that the CBs will automatically be in a back pedal at the snap. Again, depending on the call, they may in fact have help over the top, and their first step is to jump the route.

They dot have to be in your face, full blown press to accomplish the same thing. And I know you aren't trying to say that you believe that if they are off on one play, they will continue to stay in that coverage the entire game? I conceded that there will be more press than with Walton, but people seem to think now that Williams is here, it will be in your face 100% of the time.

Not gonna happen. At least I'll say, I doubt seriously it does. One of his biggest strengths as a DC is being unpredictable. He will mix things up, and yes, take chances, but all within the confines and principles of Fishers defensive philosophy. And that is, and always will be do not give up the big play. In fact, a lot of the blitzes will be on run downs, selling out to stop the run and force teams into favorable down and distance situations.

I may be completely off base,, but I think I have a fairly good understanding of the scheme that is illustrated in this OP.

I'm not necessarily saying that they will be in off coverage the whole game. Just how the first reaction could be the difference between an incomplete and a 4 yard gain. But That applies to more than just playing 9 yards off the ball.

I guess I'm just focusing on these blitz packages which are from the past. I'm sure we'll see GW do some different things with a defensive line this strong. We may only have to blitz to shake things up, and not out of necessity.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I'm not necessarily saying that they will be in off coverage the whole game. Just how the first reaction could be the difference between an incomplete and a 4 yard gain. But That applies to more than just playing 9 yards off the ball.

I guess I'm just focusing on these blitz packages which are from the past. I'm sure we'll see GW do some different things with a defensive line this strong. We may only have to blitz to shake things up, and not out of necessity.

BINGO. I also think you are still suffering flashbacks to last year. Too many factors working against them last year which forced them into a lot of that, IMO. They just were too young across the board in the secondary, especially after Finnegan went down to expect them to learn anything but basic coverages. Let alone make on the fly adjustments.

Add and inexperienced DC in Walton, and last year was what it was. That will become a distant memory as soon as they hit the field with Williams. The other thing that has impressed me about him, is his teams always TACKLE. I remember before the whole bountygate suspension, that was the one thing that he preached. These guys will learn how to tackle.

AnarchyRam

Rookie
Greg Williams really uses his safeties... they don't just sit back in zone all day like last year. This allows more tighter, quicker coverage and probably more sacks.

SHOULD BE FUN.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
I'm not overly sold on Greg Williams bringing his usual blitz happy defence tbh. He's got a really good D-line. I hope he's considering letting them do damage - and protecting the weakest part of our defence (or secondary) with our strongest (our D-line) by playing good tight coverage rather than sending the house and getting picked apart. He's never had that ability before because he's never worked with a defence this good - so that may explain some of it.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
With the Rams Dline, they won't have to blitz as often as Williams did in the past....if he doesn't want to.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
BINGO. I also think you are still suffering flashbacks to last year. Too many factors working against them last year which forced them into a lot of that, IMO. They just were too young across the board in the secondary, especially after Finnegan went down to expect them to learn anything but basic coverages. Let alone make on the fly adjustments.

Add and inexperienced DC in Walton, and last year was what it was. That will become a distant memory as soon as they hit the field with Williams. The other thing that has impressed me about him, is his teams always TACKLE. I remember before the whole bountygate suspension, that was the one thing that he preached. These guys will learn how to tackle.
Funny, they didn't learn to tackle when BeastMode was born in that playoff game, would of loved to see Williams reaction to THAT!

Memphis Ram

Legend
I just watched a couple of Titans games and it wasn't very often that I saw any Titans CBs playing 9-10 yards off the line of scrimmage. And it NEVER happened on 3rd and short. NEVER.

In fact, more times than not, the deepest CB was merely 5 yards off the line of scrimmage on most of the plays. And this is with Bernard Pollard as one of the safeties

Something else I noticed though is Kenny Britt looked like he has to be open to catch the football. Anything contested or very accurate was dropped.

Last edited: