Gregg Williams old playbook (Bills)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I found an old GW playbook that really gives you a look at his aggressive play style.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Looking over these schemes, you can really see how our defense fits this perfectly. This is really going to test a QB's composure in the pocket and the opposing OL's ability to find their assignment without confusion. I can already see Kaepernick or Wilson getting ripped down out of their 3 step drop as the pocket closes up on them. If you ask me, Gregg Williams was all we were lacking to push us into a top 10 defense.

Download the full playbook PDF here if you like:
http://www.footballxos.com/free-football-playbooks/defense/nfl-defense/

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Doesn't loook like press coverage to me. All those plays show both corners playing 9-10 yards off the ball. Dink and dunk offenses will be the norm against us if we don't press. Opposing QBs simply won't have enough time to throw deep.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Ima program that whole thing into my Madden Custom Playbook.
FTMFW!

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Doesn't loook like press coverage to me. All those plays show both corners playing 9-10 yards off the ball. Dink and dunk offenses will be the norm against us if we don't press. Opposing QBs simply won't have enough time to throw deep.
Looks more like about five to me. Guess we'll see. May not be exactly press coverage but it doesn't look like the buffer we were allowing last year.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
I think the biggest difference he's going to bring to the table is experience. I can guarantee he already has the respect of the locker room, and he is going to demand the best out of his players.

This is easily one of the most talented defenses he's had to work with. Let's make it happen.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Looks more like about five to me. Guess we'll see. May not be exactly press coverage but it doesn't look like the buffer we were allowing last year.

Maybe the corners in his old system were unable to play man coverage well so he had to play them off a little bit. Shouldn't be a problem this year.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I'm afraid if you guys think that even a G. Williams coached defense going to play "Press coverage" 100% of the time, you are in for a rude awakening. Do not forget that this is still Jeff Fisher's defense, and the concepts will be the same. There is likely to be more of it, than with Walton, but the biggest premise of Fisher's scheme is limiting BIG PLAYS, keep things in front of you, and force offenses into making mistakes. If teams can sustain multi play drives, so be it, but by forcing the issue with a ton of press coverage, exposing themselves to being beaten for a long TD isn't going to happen very often. The thought being this defense should be good enough as a unit, that multi play drives are going to be difficult.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
I'm afraid if you guys think that even a G. Williams coached defense going to play "Press coverage" 100% of the time, you are in for a rude awakening. Do not forget that this is still Jeff Fisher's defense, and the concepts will be the same. There is likely to be more of it, than with Walton, but the biggest premise of Fisher's scheme is limiting BIG PLAYS, keep things in front of you, and force offenses into making mistakes. If teams can sustain multi play drives, so be it, but by forcing the issue with a ton of press coverage, exposing themselves to being beaten for a long TD isn't going to happen very often. The thought being this defense should be good enough as a unit, that multi play drives are going to be difficult.

Is that really the best way to utilize our front 7? I mean if we come out screaming in the sack count, then we willl just have QBs taking 3 step drops and dumping off on slants.

I guess it doesn't matter because I'm not running the defense. But, I get the premise. I knew that the defense wouldn't change, and my first post was more of an observation rather then being let down. Just heard enough about how we were going to be pressing now that G. Williams was here.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Yeah - I'm not sure where it was said that we would be pressing. I doubt we will be playing off as much as we did with Walton but my understanding is that Greg still plays a lot of zone rather than man. But I think he switches it up and disguises more than we saw last year so it is more difficult to guess against. As I said before, I guess we'll see.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Another thing to consider is that Gregg Williams says he makes adjustments to his defenses based upon the personnel on hand. Oftentimes he's had to manufacture pressure. I'm not sure if he's ever had this much DLine pass rushing talent to work with since he's been in the league.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Is that really the best way to utilize our front 7? I mean if we come out screaming in the sack count, then we willl just have QBs taking 3 step drops and dumping off on slants.

I guess it doesn't matter because I'm not running the defense. But, I get the premise. I knew that the defense wouldn't change, and my first post was more of an observation rather then being let down. Just heard enough about how we were going to be pressing now that G. Williams was here.

The thing is, teams are already going to be prepared for the pressure from our d-line. That's the one thing that is a certainty with this unit. So getting a lot of quick slants, and 3 step drops should be expected anyway.

I guess my point, down and distance, and the opponent (not sure I want to be playing press coverage 90% of the time on Larry Fitzgerald or Michael Floyd) will dictate how much they employ that type of coverage, IMO.

I also think you will see a much more aggressive approach, and see Jenkins being much quicker to "jump" routes even if he is lined up in a normal coverage position.

Seems like you may be thinking that if they are not in PRESS coverage, that automatically means they will settle for the soft zones that Walton seemed to favor. I don't see that happening as much either. If I'm misinterpreting your meaning, I apologize ahead of time.

With these guys having another year in the system, (Jenkins, Johnson, McDonald, McLeod, Davis, Daniels), I would imagine they can start throwing more complex, combination coverages at them, and feeling comfortable enough that it won't be too much for them to handle. Which wasn't the case LAST YEAR. They were about as "vanilla" with the things they were doing, and they paid for it.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
The thing is, teams are already going to be prepared for the pressure from our d-line. That's the one thing that is a certainty with this unit. So getting a lot of quick slants, and 3 step drops should be expected anyway.

I guess my point, down and distance, and the opponent (not sure I want to be playing press coverage 90% of the time on Larry Fitzgerald or Michael Floyd) will dictate how much they employ that type of coverage, IMO.

I also think you will see a much more aggressive approach, and see Jenkins being much quicker to "jump" routes even if he is lined up in a normal coverage position.

Seems like you may be thinking that if they are not in PRESS coverage, that automatically means they will settle for the soft zones that Walton seemed to favor. I don't see that happening as much either. If I'm misinterpreting your meaning, I apologize ahead of time.

With these guys having another year in the system, (Jenkins, Johnson, McDonald, McLeod, Davis, Daniels), I would imagine they can start throwing more complex, combination coverages at them, and feeling comfortable enough that it won't be too much for them to handle. Which wasn't the case LAST YEAR. They were about as "vanilla" with the things they were doing, and they paid for it.

You're right, I do expect the CBs to be playing soft if they are 9-10 yards off the ball as the play book suggests. This just makes it easier for the receiver to break off a slant and subvert our pressure. Maybe JJ's speed will allow him to be more aggressive on those routes this year under GW's scheme. I sure hope so.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
When Williams was with the Saints the way to beat their D was quick short passes. That was perfect for the Shurmur offense and Danny Amendola.

Throw it underneath and pound the ball hard on the ground and hope to break some long runs.

The real surprise was that the Rams scored more points than the Saints offense.

That is why good tackling by all DBs is paramount with a pressure D, and why the Rams drafted TJ, and now Alexander, Bryant, Gaines, Joyner, etc...

CoachO

Hall of Fame
You're right, I do expect the CBs to be playing soft if they are 9-10 yards off the ball as the play book suggests. This just makes it easier for the receiver to break off a slant and subvert our pressure. Maybe JJ's speed will allow him to be more aggressive on those routes this year under GW's scheme. I sure hope so.

Once again, it seems to me that you are making assumptions based on where a guy lines up, it automatically means a certain type of coverage will result. In real time, just think about the distance that can be made up. 9-10 yards just isn't what it appears to be to the naked eye. Lets assume that WR is going to run a QUICK SLANT. He breaks off the LOS, and the QB takes the snap drops ONE step and throws the ball. In the time this takes place, the WR is most likely covered 4-5 yards. Take the ball flight into account, and a CB who reads and "jumps" the route will close a minimum of the same 4-5 yards. That 9-10 "cushion" has evaporated pretty quickly. Teams to this to the Rams all the time, and whens the last time you have seen Chris Givens make an UNCONTESTED catch on a quick slant?

Now take the same situation, and the CB who is in "press" coverage gets beat to the inside on the same slant route. He is now in a trail position, and its off to the races if the QB gets the ball out. I'd rather take my chances with the aggressive CB coming up to make the play on the ball, rather than chasing the guy across the field hoping he has safety help in the middle.

And if they are in press with the aforementioned "blitz" calls that's not likely. When G. Williams uses this type of blitz package, he tends to play a single high safety, and there isn't much support for the CBs.

There will be times where the press coverage is utilized. It is best utilized when they can get pressure without blitzing, and you can play a "man-2" type of combination coverage. Man with the corners outside, pressing the WRs, and safety help over the top in the event the CBs get beat at the LOS. This will give the d-line the extra second or two, to get home with the pressure.

I don't mean to make it sound like I have all the answers here. Just trying to explain what I have seen, and the reasons why certain things happen with certain calls.