Gregg Williams making himself heard/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Gregg Williams making himself heard
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/9396/williams-making-mark-right-away-with-rams

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- Finding new St. Louis Rams defensive coordinator Gregg Williams on the practice field is only as difficult as the ability to hear. Even if you don't spot him right away, you can follow the voice.

Whether it's the guttural scream of "Come onnnnn" at the outset of every snap or the occasional not fit for print dressing down for whichever player made a costly mistake after the play, Williams isn't too hard to find.

"I love it personally because it eliminates the margin for error," rookie defensive back Lamarcus Joyner said. "You need someone that is going to help you chase perfection knowing that it will never be caught, but in the process excellence will be achieved. He says that all the time. You need people like that in the driver’s seat."

That Williams is back in the driver's seat was a surprising offseason revelation, one that didn't seem possible after his close friendship with coach Jeff Fisher seemed to cool after Fisher's first attempt to bring Williams to St. Louis didn't work out. Any remaining hope seemed further removed when Fisher fired Blake Williams, Gregg's son, after a season together in 2012.

But here they are at this week's final organized team activities, about to put the finishing touches on Williams' first offseason program in St. Louis. And in the four-plus months since Williams has arrived, he's wasted no time putting his imprint on the defense. He's worked so fast that Fisher has even asked him to pump the brakes on occasion.

"He’s the main voice in the room," Fisher said. "He can coach every single position. You can see the change. You can see the energy. I’ve had to back him down just a little bit.”

If what's been patrolling the sidelines during OTAs is Williams in toned down mode, one can only wonder what it would like without the governor on. In creating what Williams likes to call the "organized chaos" of practice, Williams likes to push the tempo and intensity as much as possible.

At a couple of recent practices, Rams defenders have participated in a number of old-school drills under Williams' watchful eye.

One such drill emphasizing ball pursuit requires five players to do up-downs -- dropping to the ground, bouncing up -- hitting a blocking sled and then asked to sprint to the sideline where three footballs are lined up about 10 yards apart.

Any player who doesn't get to the ball is punished by having to do 10 more up-downs. It's a grueling drill but one that certainly tests the mettle of those involved.

Make no mistake, when the Rams aren't doing drills, Williams is concocting ways to best deploy his new group. That's been his top priority during the OTAs considering those practices have provided his first chance to work with his new players up close.

Williams is pleased with the talent he sees on the field, but he's also working through ways to be flexible if a player does something better or worse than he initially suspected. This is the time of year when Williams can discover what his players can and can't do, and instead of shoehorning them into roles they might not be capable of handling, he can adjust those roles accordingly.

“Until I’m out there with them, I really don’t get a good feel of, ‘How do you maximize the personnel?’" Williams said. "I think the best coaches in the league -- and I’ve always been able to do some of these things -- is how do you maximize the strengths of each and every guy? Everybody’s got weaknesses -- you, me, them, all of us do -- and everybody has strengths. That’s why we play so many packages of people.

"We’re going to package to situations, package to personnel the other team is bringing on the field and then package to our strengths. It’s a young group of guys but it’s fun to see them have tremendous strengths that I didn’t know about until I got out here and had a chance to compete with them.”

While Williams and Fisher are like-minded in their approach to defense and the scheme will remain similar, there are plenty of tweaks that come with Williams' presence. Even during OTAs, the Rams defense has been using a variety of different alignments, formations and personnel in the course of an average practice.

Aggressive and attacking are the two adjectives most commonly associated with a Williams defense and there are no signs that the descriptors will change in St. Louis.

"He’s old school in a way, but he’s updated in all the ways that matter," end Chris Long said. "His schemes are just awesome and unique. He puts us in positions to make plays and confuse the offense. That’s what you want to see on defense because you can play as well as you want, but if the scheme is not exactly right it can be hard sometimes. You just have the faith that with him the calls are going to be the right calls and he’s intense and he’s going to bring it."

As for any lingering hard feelings about the initial fallout in 2012 or anything that happened in the interim, there doesn't appear to be any leftover residue. Other coaches speak glowingly of Williams, and Blake Williams even paid a visit to Rams Park for a recent practice.

A Missouri native, Williams clearly feels comfortable in St. Louis in more ways than one.

"I can't tell you guys how happy I am to be back in Missouri and how happy I am to be back in St. Louis with a good group of guys to coach and a good group of guys to coach with," Williams said. "It's a lot of fun. And being out here on the grass and getting into the actual practices and getting into the competitions makes me even happier than I can ever get."

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rams DC Gregg Williams talked about coaching in his home state, Jo-Lonn Dunbar’s presence, rookie progress and more following the Rams’ OTA on Tuesday, June 17. (8:26)

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Williams putting stamp on Rams' defense

By R.B. FALLSTROM (AP Sports Writer)

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/williams-putting-stamp-rams-defense-211532493--nfl.html

ST. LOUIS (AP) -- Gregg Williams kept saying how much fun he was having, how happy he was to be coaching in his home state, how great players have responded to his high-decibel leadership.

The 91-degree heat that pushed St. Louis Rams players Tuesday gave their new defensive coordinator even more reason to smile.

''You need this,'' Williams said. ''We're going to wish for mild days like this once we get into August in the Midwest.''

The 55-year-old Williams is well into his second stint with coach Jeff Fisher and he's been a vocal presence at workouts the last two weeks. Players, especially the rookies, don't want to get him riled.

''You need someone that is going to help you chase perfection, knowing that it will never be caught but in the process excellence will be achieved,'' said cornerback Lamarcus Joyner, a second-round pick from Florida State's national title team.

''You need people like that in the driver's seat.''

Williams was much more subdued last season when he returned from a one-year suspension as a senior defensive assistant with the Titans. The job description with the Rams restores the voice.

Williams is his own man, announcing the day he was hired that practices would be different. Within the rules of course, he cultivates the image of outlier.

Reporters were told the rest of the coaching staff had to feel some relief when players arrived earlier this month and he'd move on to ''stressing'' someone else. He was sure outside linebacker Jo-Lonn Dunbar, who played for him at Tennessee, would assure newcomers that ''I'm not as crazy as everybody thinks I am.''

Offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer said Williams is ''very creative'' on play-calling out of fronts that look the same before the ball is snapped. But not a wild man, no.

''I don't think so,'' Schottenheimer said. ''I think he's a great football coach.''

Fisher wanted Williams back to put his stamp on a defense the franchise has stocked largely with first-round draft picks and high-dollar free agents. The Rams had one of the NFL's best pass rushes last year but fell short of expectations on defense overall.

''He's the main voice in the room,'' Fisher said. ''You can see the change, you can see the energy. I've had to back him down just a little bit.''

It's tougher to evaluate players when they're not wearing pads and not hitting.

''Pads are the great equalizer,'' middle linebacker James Laurinaitis said.

Williams has compensated by making them think on the fly and barking orders and admonishments from the sideline. He believes a good practice should be ''organized chaos,'' with wrinkles thrown in to keep everybody on their toes.

''We constantly are throwing things out at them that we don't even talk about in meetings,'' Williams said. ''Everybody can con themselves through relaxed states of mind. But you can't fake stress, and that's what the games are.''

Training camp isn't until late July, and Williams is already raring to go, ready to lead the Rams into it. Getting forced to the sidelines in 2012 remains a driving force.

''There's definitely a culture shock,'' Laurinaitis said. ''He demands your all-out effort.''

Williams arrived at Rams Park with a list of 101 things to do. With two OTAs remaining, he was proud to say every box had already been checked.

''This is fun. Last year was really good and this year will be really better,'' Williams said. ''There's a lot to get caught up and the buck stops with me.''

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo

Rams DC Gregg Williams talked about coaching in his home state, Jo-Lonn Dunbar’s presence, rookie progress and more following the Rams’ OTA on Tuesday, June 17. (8:26)
Excellent excellent piece.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
So it's Excellent²?
Its most excellent dude
200.gif

Volnerman08

Rookie
'You need someone that is going to help you chase perfection, knowing that it will never be caught but in the process excellence will be achieved,'' said cornerback Lamarcus Joyner, a second-round pick from Florida State's national title team.

You have to love Lamarcus Joyner's attitude. The kid is always saying the right thing.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
'There's definitely a culture shock,'' Laurinaitis said. ''He demands your all-out effort.''

I really don't want to read too much into that, but ...
The hell was being demanded of them up to this point?

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
'There's definitely a culture shock,'' Laurinaitis said. ''He demands your all-out effort.''

I really don't want to read too much into that, but ...
The hell was being demanded of them up to this point?
Meh. Strikes me as half-cliche, half-butter up the new coach talk rather than anything to be taken seriously.

Of course previous coaches also demanded all-out effort. Just like there's no such thing as a coach who "accepts losing" or "accepts mediocrity", so saying that one doesn't do so is just empty words.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
I can't help but get f'n psyched everytime Gregg Williams speaks.

I can't wait to see these guys in the preseason. I think we're going to attack, attack, attack even in the exhibition games. Wouldn't be surprised if we upset some opposing coaches.

SierraRam

Recreational User
Meh. Strikes me as half-cliche, half-butter up the new coach talk rather than anything to be taken seriously.

Of course previous coaches also demanded all-out effort. Just like there's no such thing as a coach who "accepts losing" or "accepts mediocrity", so saying that one doesn't do so is just empty words.

I don't know. Maybe the coaches before were OK with the players going thru the motions compared to Williams. You here this everwhere Williams goes. You better give all you have or get off the field. It's not a cliche - its a demand. I love it!!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

Possibly. But at the same time, some coaches are way more demanding than others.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
I don't know. Maybe the coaches before were OK with the players going thru the motions compared to Williams. You here this everwhere Williams goes. You better give all you have or get off the field. It's not a cliche - its a demand. I love it!!
You hear stuff like this everywhere there's a new DC. I don't have links to articles when Walton was hired, but I guarantee they didn't read "Wow, this guy really lets us take plays off. We'll be lucky to allow less than 28 points a game with this clown."

Like we're saying about other people, prove it on the field.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
You hear stuff like this everywhere there's a new DC. I don't have links to articles when Walton was hired, but I guarantee they didn't read "Wow, this guy really lets us take plays off. We'll be lucky to allow less than 28 points a game with this clown."

I guess what makes me think this is more than playerspeak are the words "culture shock."
That, to me, indicates that there's something markedly different going on that they're not used to.

SierraRam

Recreational User

OK. But Williams' results speak volumes. Players love him and everyone is fired up about the direction we're going. I know we get this every preseason and lately it only leads to disappointment, but I know this is different. We've upgraded at D coordinator. Enjoy!

Boffo97

Name
Dave
I guess what makes me think this is more than playerspeak are the words "culture shock."
That, to me, indicates that there's something markedly different going on that they're not used to.
It could honestly just mean the scheme is different.

But I do hope you're right, I'm just going to need to see it on the field. I can't put too much stock in comments like this before we see results on the field because honestly, what other tone are they going to have?

If Williams doesn't pan out, the same kind of comments will be made about the next guy, and people will wonder "Wow, that does that say about that clown Williams that they're saying this now?"

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Agreed. Especially when those words come from a person with such a high football IQ as Laurinaitus!!

OldRock

Rookie
Name
Rocky
Wow! Seems like we have the perfect coach for a team that's the youngest. Let the kids learn the right way to play winning football right out of the gate. Better than trying to correct an old dogs bad habits ( I know, I have them ) and teach him new tricks. Of course, I can't even think of many bad habits with the few old dogs we do have. I don't mind our youngsters emulating players like Chris and James on our D. Can't wait to see what comes out of all the young talent combined with the coaching to get the max out of them. I'm actually anxious to see the preseason games this year. Can you imagine some of the things Greg is going to throw out there just to get into the minds of OC's and give them nightmares. Disguise, befuddle, and then attack while they're still standing there with their pants down around their ankles. This could be devilish fun to watch our D this year.

PS Sweet dreams Wussel and Yapperdick!