Gregg Williams' 'different attitude' already leaving impression on Browns players

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.cleveland.com/browns/ind...liams_different_attit.html#incart_river_index

Gregg Williams' 'different attitude' already leaving impression on Browns players
By Dan Labbe, cleveland.com

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEDys1-su1c

BEREA, Ohio -- New defensive coordinator Gregg Williams rolled through his introductory press conference in January like a hurricane. Now those winds are blowing through the hallways of the team's practice facility as players returned for the start of the Browns off-season program this week.

"His energy's crazy," cornerback Joe Haden said of the new defensive coordinator on Tuesday. "He definitely brings a different attitude. He's very, very vocal, in your face and I feel like we definitely need that."

Haden got to experience Williams' intensity firsthand prior to this week. Haden said that when he first met Williams, the new defensive coordinator told him that had Haden not played through his groin injury last year, he would have made sure the Browns front office got him out of Cleveland.

That level of accountability and toughness is something that Haden is embracing along with the young leadership group on the defensive side of the roster.

"We need somebody that's going to keep everybody accountable," Haden said. "Me, (linebacker Chris) Kirksey, (linebacker Jamie) Collins, (defensive tackle) Danny (Shelton), he's definitely going at us."

"It's a shock, but that's what we need," Haden said. "We need somebody that's going to switch it up, change it up, tell us something, cuss us out, scream at us, let us know that we're sorry right now and we've got to be better."

The Browns were, by most statistical measures, one of the worst defenses in the NFL a season ago. They ranked 31st in yards per game, 30th in points allowed, 21st against the pass, 31st against the rush and they were the third-worst defense on third down.

The Browns gave up 30 or more points seven times, allowed fewer than 20 points once and allowed fewer than 25 points just three times.

If you're into non-traditional statistics, Football Outsiders ranked the Browns defense 31st overall in DVOA, a metric that measures a team's efficiency by comparing success on every single play to a league average based on situation and opponent, and in weighted defense, a metric that adjusts to make earlier games in the season less important, giving an idea of how a team was playing towards the end of the season.

It all led to head coach Hue Jackson firing defensive coordinator Ray Horton and most of his staff after the season ended. Williams' demeanor and energy matches that of Jackson, something that was evident when the two were coaching the South team at the Senior Bowl.

Defensive tackle Danny Shelton agreed that the defense needed a little bit of a kick if they were going to get better.

"I think we did need that," Shelton said. "I think that his mindset is what Cleveland needs in order for us to change and turn around the program."

Still, the Browns and their fans have been down this road before. What makes Williams so different? Haden, again, pointed to the accountability.

"It doesn't matter when you got drafted, who you are, he's going to be in your face no matter what," Haden said. "You've just got to accept it. You've got to make plays to be out there on the field."

Haden likes the idea of Williams valuing performance over pedigree.

"I'm all about performance. I'm all about putting it on tape and showing it on the field," he said. "It doesn't really matter how much money you make, as long as you are out there making plays than he'll be falling in love with you."

It's spring in the NFL, so everything sounds good on paper, but if Tuesday was any indication, the players appear ready to embrace whatever Williams throws at them.

"He's an intense coach and you can tell that he wants to change the culture around here," Shelton said.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He'll change the culture and improve the defense. I always wondered though if his in your face cuss you out style wears out and starts to annoy players.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Williams go have that defense on point

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Got a lot of respect for GW. Best of luck to him in Cleveland.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Glad the Rams get a change in coaching. Fisher's laid back "country Club" atmosphere. GRegg Williams "in your face" screaming.

Now Mcvay's more intense and sense of urgency and Wade Phillips quiet "school teacher" style of coaching. A pleasant change. Hope the players respond.

I have a feeling Rams will get fewer penalties now that GW is gone.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No question that he was a good coordinator. Browns got a steal. We just got a better steal is all

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
http://www.cleveland.com/browns/ind...liams_different_attit.html#incart_river_index

By Dan Labbe, cleveland.com

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEDys1-su1c

BEREA, Ohio -- New defensive coordinator Gregg Williams rolled through his introductory press conference in January like a hurricane. Now those winds are blowing through the hallways of the team's practice facility as players returned for the start of the Browns off-season program this week.

"His energy's crazy," cornerback Joe Haden said of the new defensive coordinator on Tuesday. "He definitely brings a different attitude. He's very, very vocal, in your face and I feel like we definitely need that."

Haden got to experience Williams' intensity firsthand prior to this week. Haden said that when he first met Williams, the new defensive coordinator told him that had Haden not played through his groin injury last year, he would have made sure the Browns front office got him out of Cleveland.

That level of accountability and toughness is something that Haden is embracing along with the young leadership group on the defensive side of the roster.

"We need somebody that's going to keep everybody accountable," Haden said. "Me, (linebacker Chris) Kirksey, (linebacker Jamie) Collins, (defensive tackle) Danny (Shelton), he's definitely going at us."

"It's a shock, but that's what we need," Haden said. "We need somebody that's going to switch it up, change it up, tell us something, cuss us out, scream at us, let us know that we're sorry right now and we've got to be better."

The Browns were, by most statistical measures, one of the worst defenses in the NFL a season ago. They ranked 31st in yards per game, 30th in points allowed, 21st against the pass, 31st against the rush and they were the third-worst defense on third down.

The Browns gave up 30 or more points seven times, allowed fewer than 20 points once and allowed fewer than 25 points just three times.

If you're into non-traditional statistics, Football Outsiders ranked the Browns defense 31st overall in DVOA, a metric that measures a team's efficiency by comparing success on every single play to a league average based on situation and opponent, and in weighted defense, a metric that adjusts to make earlier games in the season less important, giving an idea of how a team was playing towards the end of the season.

It all led to head coach Hue Jackson firing defensive coordinator Ray Horton and most of his staff after the season ended. Williams' demeanor and energy matches that of Jackson, something that was evident when the two were coaching the South team at the Senior Bowl.

Defensive tackle Danny Shelton agreed that the defense needed a little bit of a kick if they were going to get better.

"I think we did need that," Shelton said. "I think that his mindset is what Cleveland needs in order for us to change and turn around the program."

Still, the Browns and their fans have been down this road before. What makes Williams so different? Haden, again, pointed to the accountability.

"It doesn't matter when you got drafted, who you are, he's going to be in your face no matter what," Haden said. "You've just got to accept it. You've got to make plays to be out there on the field."

Haden likes the idea of Williams valuing performance over pedigree.

"I'm all about performance. I'm all about putting it on tape and showing it on the field," he said. "It doesn't really matter how much money you make, as long as you are out there making plays than he'll be falling in love with you."

It's spring in the NFL, so everything sounds good on paper, but if Tuesday was any indication, the players appear ready to embrace whatever Williams throws at them.

"He's an intense coach and you can tell that he wants to change the culture around here," Shelton said.

I have no doubt that The Williams "D" will be the Talk-of-the-Town, in Cleveland this Season!! Let's here it for the New Cleveland Rams "D"!:LOL:

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Good thing for GW and the Browns that they don't have the Saints on their schedule this year.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I haven't liked GW since he was head coach of the Bills. But he is a very good defensive coordinator.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Nothing but respect for GW. He did his job well while he was here. I had complaints about his scheme and play-calling, but that always happens with coordinators. Wish him the best of luck in Cleveland.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
I always liked Williams. Sometimes he drove me crazy. Like any new coach, he's in the "honeymoon" period with the players. It's going to take time for players to adjust to his coaching style, just as him to adjusting to how they fit into his scheme.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Always liked him , but never understood playing 10 yards off the WR on 3rd and 5 .

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ok..Let's get this straight
1. Hit hard, and leave an impression....before and after the whistle
2. Let's gamble for sacks!
3. 10 yard cushion, CB's Keep it all in front of you! Well,except on the 1 yard line....
~Gregg Williams

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Gregg Williams wants a top tier defense, Wade Phillips wants to have the best defense. I loved Williams, he was the best defensive coordinator the Rams had since Lovie Smith and he made the Rams better, but now the Rams move from one of the top DC's to a legendary defensive coordinator and I'm anxious to see what Wade has in store for the City of Angels.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I've never liked him since the bounty thing.

And before you say "it happens everywhere" don't say it.

He's disgusting.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
The guy who took the shot at Warner for him retired just one week ago. Good riddance. Could've been very serious had Warner not been so Blessed. Kurt I'm sure has forgiven both . We can do better. Fresh start.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I've never liked him since the bounty thing.

And before you say "it happens everywhere" don't say it.

He's disgusting.

Les, how about we just judge him for the job he did as defensive coordinator of the Los Angeles Rams? And quite frankly, he was the best assistant coach on Fisher's staff. Not disagreeing with you about his past, but IMO, he did a fine job with the Rams.

RAMBUSH

Starter
Glad the Rams get a change in coaching. Fisher's laid back "country Club" atmosphere. GRegg Williams "in your face" screaming.

Now Mcvay's more intense and sense of urgency and Wade Phillips quiet "school teacher" style of coaching. A pleasant change. Hope the players respond.

I have a feeling Rams will get fewer penalties now that GW is gone.
Maybe fisher should of taken control of the defense and let Gregg Williams get in some of our offensive players faces .. someone needed to hit them with a stick.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Next time we play the Browns, we just need our screen passes, quick slants, and outside run plays ready.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
There's not a doubt in my mind the Rams were near the top in penalties because of GW. weather it was from his style of play or "bounty-gate" residual. Fisher's type of coaching didn't help lessen penalties either.