Greg Zuerlein

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
ljramsfan said:
Coming from a Division II team, Zuerlein never had to perform in front of huge, NFL-sized crowds. Although he has the leg and accuracy to be a top-tier NFL kicker, he’s going to have to prove that he can adapt to the extra pressure and eyes that comes with being at the top level of football. Other than that, Zuerlein is a phenomenal kicker at the next level.

This makes me laugh a bit. Kicking 50 + yard field goals should not make him lack confidence on a big stage

Kickers are football's answer to hockey goalies and baseball closers. They're eccentric at best and erratic at worst. Confidence plays a major factor in their performance, and finding a kicker who will have the same consistency throughout his entire career - regular season and playoffs alike - is like trying to find a needle in a haystack on a moonless night.

Don't believe me? Just ask the Missouri Tigers. We thought that Grant Ressel solved our kicking problems after one amazing year. He completely self-destructed last year; he was responsible for two of our losses, and he lost his job before the halfway point. I'm stunned that the Steelers picked him up as an undrafted free agent after the way he went out.

Don't get me wrong; I love Zu's (yeah, I just gave him a nickname) potential. If he lives up to that potential, I think he can solve our kicking problems for the next fifteen years. I'm just hesitant when it comes to kickers.

steferfootball

Starter
Memento said:
Don't get me wrong; I love Zu's (yeah, I just gave him a nickname) potential. If he lives up to that potential, I think he can solve our kicking problems for the next fifteen years. I'm just hesitant when it comes to kickers.
Good. I have no intention of learning how to spell his name.

Agree with you. I'm looking for two things:
1) Can he be clutch?
2) Can he be consistent from year to year?

If the answer is yes to both, we could have taken him higher.

kmramsfan

Old School Ram Fan
Name
Keith
X said:
299x156px-LL-3211d7d5_WellBye.jpeg

Ole' Curly Bill as the Earps head outta town.
Preceeded by "I just wanted you to know it's over".

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
kmramsfan said:
X said:

Yep. Best western ever. Little cheesy and over-the-top in some scenes, but overall it was great.

kmramsfan

Old School Ram Fan
Name
Keith
Still enjoy it for ...say, the 50th time. Great with complete surround system. Best shoot out at the corral scene. Just a lot of great characters, including Doc. Only thing better is GOING there for yourself.
X said:
kmramsfan said:
X said:

Yep. Best western ever. Little cheesy and over-the-top in some scenes, but overall it was great.

boondock

UDFA
I still say Brown was some sort of spy sent to infiltrate our locker room and ruin us. He was money in Seattle, and went straight downhill when he came here. Conspiracy theory anyone? Lol

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Zu on the pressures of the NFL

"It doesn't matter what class you are in in high school or what division you're in in college, the goalposts are the same," Zuerlein said. "Fifty yards is fifty yards. It should translate to the NFL."

Translation: "I kick the ball."

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2 ... z1tZHLuhDw

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Nick Wagoner on Zu:
I haven't seen him kick but apparently it's quite a spectacle. One scout told me that Zuerlein has the [hil]strongest leg he's ever seen[/hil] on a prospect. The kid was 9 for 9 from 50-plus including multiple makes from 57 and 58 yards. I heard on his workout for coach John Fassel, he was making 50-yarders where the ball was [hil]still rising[/hil] when it went through the uprights. I'm excited to see him kick at the minicamp in a couple week.

That's ridiculous. :shock:

steferfootball

Starter
X said:
Nick Wagoner on Zu:
I haven't seen him kick but apparently it's quite a spectacle. One scout told me that Zuerlein has the [hil]strongest leg he's ever seen[/hil] on a prospect. The kid was 9 for 9 from 50-plus including multiple makes from 57 and 58 yards. I heard on his workout for coach John Fassel, he was making 50-yarders where the ball was [hil]still rising[/hil] when it went through the uprights. I'm excited to see him kick at the minicamp in a couple week.

We are creating a legend the size of the Boz. I'd lol if he gets here and his range is 35 yards.

That said, I wonder why he wasn't taken higher. I mean Janakaski (sp?) was taken in the first round and he probably has a bigger, less accurate leg.

Well, at least we don't have to worry about kick returns this year. :sly:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
steferfootball said:
X said:
Nick Wagoner on Zu:

We are creating a legend the size of the Boz. I'd lol if he gets here and his range is 35 yards.

That said, I wonder why he wasn't taken higher. I mean Janakaski (sp?) was taken in the first round and he probably has a bigger, less accurate leg.

Um.... You might be laughing alone. :sly:

And as to Janakowski, we ARE talking Al Davis calling the shots. Spending a high draft choice on a kicker IIRR is pretty dang rare - but I'm sure you know that. I saw something when I was checking out stuff on Zu that said there have only been three kickers in the history of the draft selected in the first round.

steferfootball

Starter
RamFan503 said:
steferfootball said:
X said:
Nick Wagoner on Zu:

Um.... You might be laughing alone. :sly:

And as to Janakowski, we ARE talking Al Davis calling the shots. Spending a high draft choice on a kicker IIRR is pretty dang rare - but I'm sure you know that. I saw something when I was checking out stuff on Zu that said there have only been three kickers in the history of the draft selected in the first round.
This guy apparently is as good a prospect as just about any kicker ever. I feel like a 3rd rounder is fair, possibly a second rounder. 9/9 on +50 yarders? That completely changes the dynamics of a game. If you can march out and hit a 59 yarder with good accuracy, that changes field position, puts points on the board your offense really didn't earn....it's all sorts of win.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
steferfootball said:
This guy apparently is as good a prospect as just about any kicker ever. I feel like a 3rd rounder is fair, possibly a second rounder. 9/9 on +50 yarders? That completely changes the dynamics of a game. If you can march out and hit a 59 yarder with good accuracy, that changes field position, puts points on the board your offense really didn't earn....it's all sorts of win.

Looks like it. I'm not really arguing with you either. Maybe busting your balls a little but...

I remember the shit storm when the Raidahs took Janikowski. While a good place kicker is very important, it is just not a position you generally see in the upper rounds. All that being said, I sure hope this guy is worthy of a high draft pick. Many games are won or put out of reach with that long FG.

Speeps

Starter
Zuerlein looks like he's going to be not only better than Josh Brown, but cheaper. Josh Brown missed so many kicks over the last two seasons it's eye opening. Time for some fresh blood, and Zuerlein looks like the real deal. I love this kids demeanor.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Speeps said:
Zuerlein looks like he's going to be not only better than Josh Brown, but cheaper. Josh Brown missed so many kicks over the last two seasons it's eye opening. Time for some fresh blood, and Zuerlein looks like the real deal. I love this kids demeanor.

Yep.

lworkman

UDFA
I attended all of the games that Zuerlein played in and if you thought his game kicks were awesome you should have seen his warmups. Even opposing fans said they were glad he was only around for one year. The ball has a completely different sound and flight when it leaves his foot. Very similar to a golf club and how his leg hits the ball. You guys are in for a real treat with this young man. He is also a great young man who will do nothing but do great things for the Rams.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
lworkman said:
I attended all of the games that Zuerlein played in and if you thought his game kicks were awesome you should have seen his warmups. Even opposing fans said they were glad he was only around for one year. The ball has a completely different sound and flight when it leaves his foot. Very similar to a golf club and how his leg hits the ball. You guys are in for a real treat with this young man. He is also a great young man who will do nothing but do great things for the Rams.
Well that's certainly good to hear. Hope you stick around and enjoy his inevitable success with us. :bg:

Anonymous

Chances are GZ will cost them a game or 2.

The goalposts may be the same but the context and sense of pressure players experience in the pros aren't.

Maybe he'll be fine. Just saying what the odds say.

Some team in the last few years had 2 rookie kickers (punter & kicker obviously.) I forget who that was. Does anyone remember?

bluecoconuts

Legend
Dallas? I remember a few years ago they had a rookie kicker who was awesome. Then the next season he went to shit for some reason. They cut him eventually after costing them probably 6 or 7 games.

I think Zuerlein will be fine. Few misses here and there, but for the most part solid.

Anonymous

bluecoconuts said:
Dallas? I remember a few years ago they had a rookie kicker who was awesome. Then the next season he went to shyte for some reason. They cut him eventually after costing them probably 6 or 7 games.

I think Zuerlein will be fine. Few misses here and there, but for the most part solid.

Well, if you think about it, with a rookie kicker, potentially, more can go wrong then a few misses. How about kicking some kickoffs out of bounds at the wrong times. Or muffing it a time or 2 when he's the last tackler on a return.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
zn said:
bluecoconuts said:
Dallas? I remember a few years ago they had a rookie kicker who was awesome. Then the next season he went to shyte for some reason. They cut him eventually after costing them probably 6 or 7 games.

Well, if you think about it, with a rookie kicker, potentially, more can go wrong then a few misses. How about kicking some kickoffs out of bounds at the wrong times. Or muffing it a time or 2 when he's the last tackler on a return.
That could happen with veterans too. Brown anyone? Veteran punters screw up as well as Donnie Jones can attest. Odds are what they are, but I like this kid's attitude. He was asked about pressure and he responded well with his remark about the size of the posts. Granted he's never been in front of tens of thousands with a game on the line while on National TV, so that does remain to be seen.