Greg Zuerlein

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Positives:

A transfer from Nebraska-Omaha, who cancelled their football program in 2011, Zuerlein is arguably one of the best kickers to come out of the college ranks in years. With the strength to consistently nail 50+ yard field goals and the accuracy that NFL teams can rely on, Zuerlein brings everything together in a draftable kicker package. Throughout his senior year at Missouri Western, Zuerlein made 24 of 25 field goal attempts, including nine of nine from 50+ yards (an NCAA record regardless of division). He set a school record when he made five kicks in one game and tied a school record when he converted on a 57-yard kick. Zuerlein has tremendous form and doesn’t push the ball on his kicks. His leg can consistently send kickoffs through the endzone as well.

Negatives:

Coming from a Division II team, Zuerlein never had to perform in front of huge, NFL-sized crowds. Although he has the leg and accuracy to be a top-tier NFL kicker, he’s going to have to prove that he can adapt to the extra pressure and eyes that comes with being at the top level of football. Other than that, Zuerlein is a phenomenal kicker at the next level.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCI62qHzya0[/youtube]

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rldQ0vYDok[/youtube]

He is arguably the best kicker in the country, making an NCAA record 21 straight field goals, and going 9-9 on field goals of 50 yards or more in 2011.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm going to be brutally honest here. I didn't like Brown when he was in Seattle (for obvious reasons), and I never felt comfortable with him here if the game was on the line. I never had that "Wilkins Feeling" with this guy. He costs too much money, and he doesn't give enough in return. I'm not bashing the guy, but it wouldn't break my heart to see this kid we just drafted unseat him as our starting kicker.

That was respectful, yeah?

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
X said:
I'm going to be brutally honest here. I didn't like Brown when he was in Seattle (for obvious reasons), and I never felt comfortable with him here if the game was on the line. I never had that "Wilkins Feeling" with this guy. He costs too much money, and he doesn't give enough in return. I'm not bashing the guy, but it wouldn't break my heart to see this kid we just drafted unseat him as our starting kicker.

Brown is probably gone, because we spent a precious draft pick on this guy.

steferfootball

Starter
X said:

I completly agree. The thing about brown is that he is good from 50-54. For whatever reason, it feels like he can hit those all the time, but has issues with mid range accuracy.

I'd love to see this new guy play in the NFL. I'm glad we got him.

bluecoconuts

Legend
steferfootball said:
X said:

I completly agree. The thing about brown is that he is good from 50-54. For whatever reason, it feels like he can hit those all the time, but has issues with mid range accuracy.

I'd love to see this new guy play in the NFL. I'm glad we got him.

I'm always more nervous when he needs to hit 25-35 than I am 50+ with Brown.

steferfootball

Starter
Remember how good Jeff Wilkins was with the offside kicks? Given how bad our coverage was back then, we shouldda just onside kicked it every time.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
This kid kick any game winners? Anything on how he deals with pressure situations? Seems like he's pretty driven to succeed.

Oh, and yeah, I'm always nervous every single time Brown kicks the ball in any situation. Never has that look of confidence.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
The numbers he put up are just flat out sick. I'd take him

steferfootball

Starter
Username said:
This kid kick any game winners? Anything on how he deals with pressure situations? Seems like he's pretty driven to succeed.

Oh, and yeah, I'm always nervous every single time Brown kicks the ball in any situation. Never has that look of confidence.
Good point. Could be a Nate Kaeding clone.

I mean a good kicker who holds back a really really good team by not making a clutch kick.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Mel Kiper's top rated kickers.

zuerlein.jpg

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
DR RAM said:
X said:

You are correct sir. That and Brown has a 2.3 cap number this year. Or put this way that's more than enough to sign to vets. at the vet min. Or 3 players with less than 4 years.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Yamahopper said:
DR RAM said:
X said:

You are correct sir. That and Brown has a 2.3 cap number this year. Or put this way that's more than enough to sign to vets. at the vet min. Or 3 players with less than 4 years.
That money will be needed to sign a veteran linebacker.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
DR RAM said:
Yamahopper said:
DR RAM said:
X said:

That money will be needed to sign a veteran linebacker.

What no confidence in the Rams starting WLB? You know the one they drafted in the 7th, the one with no profile?

He might really be a player. Seems to have a nose for the ball and good lateral quickness. Used to be a safety till he out grew it.

Now that the draft is over I expect some vet cuts before camp starts and a couple decent LB's to become avaliable. Same with G and depth at safety.

After Smith's restructure and if they cut Brown and a what they had left would be about 6 mil counting the rookies.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Softli:
Coach Fisher has told the local media a few minutes ago that Rams kicker Josh Brown will be released tomorrow and he has be told that.

No surprises there. Frees up some cap room to address OLB and OG.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
299x156px-LL-3211d7d5_WellBye.jpeg

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler
X said:
Positives:

A transfer from Nebraska-Omaha, who cancelled their football program in 2011, Zuerlein is arguably one of the best kickers to come out of the college ranks in years. With the strength to consistently nail 50+ yard field goals and the accuracy that NFL teams can rely on, Zuerlein brings everything together in a draftable kicker package. Throughout his senior year at Missouri Western, Zuerlein made 24 of 25 field goal attempts, including nine of nine from 50+ yards (an NCAA record regardless of division). He set a school record when he made five kicks in one game and tied a school record when he converted on a 57-yard kick. Zuerlein has tremendous form and doesn’t push the ball on his kicks. His leg can consistently send kickoffs through the endzone as well.

Negatives:

Coming from a Division II team, Zuerlein never had to perform in front of huge, NFL-sized crowds. Although he has the leg and accuracy to be a top-tier NFL kicker, he’s going to have to prove that he can adapt to the extra pressure and eyes that comes with being at the top level of football. Other than that, Zuerlein is a phenomenal kicker at the next level.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCI62qHzya0[/youtube]

Wow -- that 57-yarder at the beginning of the vid would have been good from 65.

It ain't like the ball just eeked over the crossbar.

Expect lots of touchbacks this year -- especially indoors.

ljramsfan

Pro Bowler
Name
LJ

This makes me laugh a bit. Kicking 50 + yard field goals should not make him lack confidence on a big stage