Greg Williams has been suspended indefinitely

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
I think the tapes in spygate were of teams walk thrus. But we will never know cause Goodell destroyed them so no one would truly know how much of an advantage the pats had in winning their SBs. The fact is if that didnt result in a suspension why did this? Now if there was intent to injure/maim players the punishment would fit the crime, but with the exception of payouts the hits were within the league rules. SP was aware of the whole thing and didnt do anything to stop it, so who is to say it wasnt already there before GW.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
RamBall said:
I think the tapes in spygate were of teams walk thrus. But we will never know cause Goodell destroyed them so no one would truly know how much of an advantage the pats had in winning their SBs. The fact is if that didnt result in a suspension why did this? Now if there was intent to injure/maim players the punishment would fit the crime, but with the exception of payouts the hits were within the league rules. SP was aware of the whole thing and didnt do anything to stop it, so who is to say it wasnt already there before GW.
There were allegations that the Patriots taped the Rams' walkthrough right before the Superbowl - namely their goal-line offense. That's a significant advantage, but like you said, we don't know for sure. Regarding bountygate, I'm beginning to think that Goodell is just super pissed off that someone had the audacity to ignore his orders to cease and desist. It was the Saints' deliberate thumbing of their collective noses at Goodell that warrants (at least in his mind) this particular punishment.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
RamBall said:

Goodell destroyed them? To protect his buddies, Really? The Patriots may have destroyed the tapes, but I refuse to believe the commissioners office destroyed evidence to protect the Pats. Thats a conspiracy.

Based on the evidence the NFL had, they were only able to prove the Pats videotaped the Jets on one account. We all know they did more than that but it's not what you know, it's what you can prove in court. Based on what they were able to prove, Id say the punishment fit the crime.

Payton knew it was going on, but he just let it slide. Williams was a critical part of it. Using another court reference. Williams committed the crime, Payton was an accessory to it.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
libertadrocks said:
RamBall said:
Well I guess Goodell didnt destroy any evidence this time huh. Why was he such a pussy when it came to punishing his buddies in NE and now he is a total hard ass? Why wouldnt SP get the harshest penalty as he was the HC, which means he was in charge of everything team related? Goodell sure makes it easy to think he and the league have a hard on to ruin the Rams.

Gregg Williams deserved to receive a more severe punishment than Payton.

Williams installed the bounty program, contributed money to it, lied to the NFL when they began their investigation, and continued the program after the NFL told him to stop.

The Patriots lost a first round and faced heavy fines for spygate when the only thing the NFL was able to prove was they stole sideline signals from the Jets.

Im sick of this stuff about how the NFL is out to get the Rams. That's bull shit. Look at things objectively.

I think that there are a lot of assumptions going on here. While I do agree that Williams deserves a greater penalty than Payton, there's no assurance that it won't work out exactly that way. Let's try to remember, Williams is suspended "indefinately", there's no guarantee when (or if) he'll ever return to the NFL, while Payton can return next season.

This is why I'm REALLY disappointed that Fisher isn't replacing Williams. Is he assuming that (he) can return next year? That may end up being a fatal mistake as Goodell may or may not extend or continue the suspension.

Call me crazy, but it seems to me that defenses reflect the personality of their DC, just how will the Rams respond to a committee? :nono:

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
The NFL is currently going through a lawsuit dealing with retired players and concussions. Thats a big factor here. We know Goodell has taken steps to improve player safety. This was his opportunity to put the hammer down on the Saints.

Im glad that we arent scrambling and looking for a new DC on the market and I think Fisher has handled this whole thing pretty well. He was prepared. Were sticking with the coaches we have and we're moving forward.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
RamBall said:
The diff is that Spygate was, in part, sanctioned by the NFL to help the Pats beat the Rams in the SB. This shenanigans by the Saints was obviously NOT sanctioned from above. Hence, the far more harsh punishment.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
libertadrocks said:
RamBall said:
Well I guess Goodell didnt destroy any evidence this time huh. Why was he such a wuss when it came to punishing his buddies in NE and now he is a total hard ass? Why wouldnt SP get the harshest penalty as he was the HC, which means he was in charge of everything team related? Goodell sure makes it easy to think he and the league have a hard on to ruin the Rams.

Gregg Williams deserved to receive a more severe punishment than Payton.

Williams installed the bounty program, contributed money to it, lied to the NFL when they began their investigation, and continued the program after the NFL told him to stop.

The Patriots lost a first round and faced heavy fines for spygate when the only thing the NFL was able to prove was they stole sideline signals from the Jets.

Im sick of this stuff about how the NFL is out to get the Rams. That's bull shyte. Look at things objectively.
You're right. The NFL isn't out to get the Rams. But what irks many of us is that Goodell had the Patriots in the crosshairs and chose not to pull the trigger.

Goodell did indeed receive tapes from the Patriots, and by his own admission, had them destroyed sight unseen. In other words, he took the word of Belichik that they hadn't done any more than they were caught at.

The agenda is very simple. The Patriots won 3 SBs. The Saints weren't dealt with 2 years ago because they won a SB. The league protects its winners. If the Saints had just stopped the bounty program, nothing may have ever been done about it.