Greg Robinson Explains his recent struggles.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Greg Robinson talks about struggling
By Tevin Broner@T_Bron on Jul 15 2014, 9:26a 14
20140617_jla_ac1_500.jpg.0_standard_709.0.jpg

Jeff Curry-USA TODAY Sports

The St. Louis Rams drafted Greg Robinson in the first round to help rebuild their offensive line. However, recently Robinson has said that he's been struggling, what does it mean? Robinson tells us.

No matter what round you're drafted in, being a rookie isn't easy. So it wasn't a surprise when Greg Robinson admitted to struggling. Since he made those comments during OTAs, it's apparent that he was referring to struggling due to the mental part of the game, since they weren't practicing in pads. Former NFL player and current media guy Ross Tucker recently talked to Robinson, where he clarified on why and what he was struggling with.
Robinson goes into more detail:
"Mentally, it's just the playbook depth and the new position, but it's coming slowly and the guys have been working along with me, along with coach. And he's just been really trying to get me up to pace and just get the feel, because once I get the playbook down I will be able to play faster, because when we watch film we can notice that I'm hesitant and thinking on the run."
It sounds like Robinson is at the pace that's expected of him. Of course, he's going to struggle early, and it will be interesting to watch how he develops during training camp and the preseason, including his switch from tackle to guard. The Rams figure to run a lot next season. Their running backs should have more holes up the middle since Robinson is a plus run blocker. Pass blocking and watching his footwork will be his biggest challenges this season.
The differences between the Rams and Auburn Tigers playbooks:
"It's a lot different and the O-line is required to know more with the Rams ... when I was at Auburn it was like know this and you know what you got to do here. But now it's like I have to know what I'm doing and what the tackle's doing and what the opposite guard and tackle are doing. It's just something that's going to help me in the long run and may allow me to move around when the time comes."
Not surprisingly, there is a big difference between a college spread rushing offense and a pro-style offense. However, it's something that not many people mention when talking about Robinson. If Robinson struggles, part of the reason could be because of his transition from Auburn's offense to the Rams. If he struggles because of the offense and the move to guard, I wouldn't be too shocked. I do still expect him to be an upgrade on the line.
Does Robinson want to move back to tackle?
"Yes sir, eventually I hope that I can go back out there, and I like the tag that they place on it the QB's blindside ... the O-linemen really don't get enough credit anyway, so at least left tackle is really important. Everybody really puts the emphasis on left tackle, so it's really the name that goes along with it, but at the end of the day it's all blocking."
It made perfect sense to move Robinson inside to guard. You can't trust him to play left tackle right now; he's not ready. Pass blocking is a big reason why, but there's also some other small things, like footwork, and he won't learn those things without reps in the NFL. Can you imagine Robinson blocking a great pass rusher on a island alone? I can't, and I would hate to see Sam Bradford become a victim.
We all know the potential that Robinson possess, we should remember that it's not going to happen overnight. Robinson was the right pick for the Rams and he should have a good future on the line. It will probably take time for him to reach his potential, but he has the talent to be one of the best left tackles in the league.
If you want to hear the entire interview, then head over here. I would recommend listening to the whole thing, you will hear what happened when he knocked Robert Quinn down, how high he can jump, and more.​

Last edited by a moderator:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Just blow them off the line of scrimmage Greg....You'll be fine and Coach Boo will ensure he's ready come September Morn.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I like how he calls the interviewer "sir". He's not a big headed kid - and it appears that he knows he needs to learn a lot, and wants to put the work in. He's going to be a big star.

Irish

Starter
If by struggles he means "hack media types taking my words out of context", then, yes, I am glad he clarified what he meant.

Robinson owes nothing to no one, least of all these sharks in the media circus that will follow him around for his career. he has a good head on his shoulders and is dedicated to making himself the most successful Greg Robinson he can be. I, for one, welcome the nice breath of fresh air

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
That's just another example of why the rookie salary cap is a good thing.I also like vet's getting paid & no rookie holdouts.

Rookies need to get in camp early,or it is a wasted year.Robinson is raw still,but upside
makes me giddy.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I like how he calls the interviewer "sir". He's not a big headed kid - and it appears that he knows he needs to learn a lot, and wants to put the work in. He's going to be a big star.
He was doing that in his post-draft press conferences too.

It's no secret that I would have gone elsewhere had I had the power to... but that was the first thing (thankfully not the last thing either) I saw that made me feel better. This kid is humble. That means he's coachable.

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
I'm pretty sure the talk of Robinson "struggling" during OTAs were overblown. I'm excited to see Robinson and Jake Long create some gaping holes on the left side.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Most linemen struggle their rookie year, the only difference is Robinson has the balls to admit them.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
They said he can jump and touch the 12-foot ceiling of the Rams locker room. At his weight, that's pretty crazy.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
He was doing that in his post-draft press conferences too.

It's no secret that I would have gone elsewhere had I had the power to... but that was the first thing (thankfully not the last thing either) I saw that made me feel better. This kid is humble. That means he's coachable.

Agreed. I was in the same camp as to wanting to go in another direction at #2. Also was worried like a few others that he could be Jason Smith 2.0. I have no problem in saying that so far I have been wrong about him and will gladly eat more crow in the future.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
They said he can jump and touch the 12-foot ceiling of the Rams locker room. At his weight, that's pretty crazy.

Yep he weighs 332lbs and its all mucle the dudes a straight up BEAST!

Last edited:

Athos

Legend
Yep he ways 332lbs and its all mucle the dudes a straight up BEAST!

Big friendly giant except when he's a mean cuss out on the field.

I imagine Sammy will be buying the big boy some hearty steak dinners down the line as thanks for finally having someone to protect him.

RK3

Professional Lurker
Name
Russ
I'm pretty sure the talk of Robinson "struggling" during OTAs were overblown.

I agree. When he said he was struggling, I interpret that to mean that he has high expectations of himself and he is not yet where he wants to be. I'm sure if you were to ask the coaching staff, you wouldn't hear anything from them that sounded like Robinson is struggling.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I agree. When he said he was struggling, I interpret that to mean that he has high expectations of himself and he is not yet where he wants to be. I'm sure if you were to ask the coaching staff, you wouldn't hear anything from them that sounded like Robinson is struggling.
That's what I was thinking too.

FRO

Legend
He has the athletic ability for his size not seen since Ogden, Pace, and Jones. His college tape wasn't as complete as those three, mostly due to the system they ran. Too bad he didn't go to a team with a more pro style offense so he could have worked on those aspects of his game. Had we not had Boudreau I would have hated the pick. Having a top flight coach makes the pick acceptable. I'm not a fan of taking projects high, but he has freakish tools that are hard to pass up. He was my 4th option for the number 2 pick, but I'm not complaining that we got him. It just shows how good the draft was at the top.

cracengl

Rookie
Holy hell...the first part of that (hearing Ross Tucker drone on like a retard) made me want to stab my ear drums out.