Great Twitter thread on Stafford

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Tano

Legend
Yeah you're right...shows what happens when you stop paying attention to the drafts.

He's a good passer...better than LaMarr and better than early Josh Allen. Just gotta let him develop and get him just a wee bit of help. Plus his attitude is the polar opposite of Kyler. Justin Fields got battered last year and on a shit team and was still out there.
Most QBs were a better passer than early Josh Allen lol

His accuracy was terrible. I was completely surprised at how well he improved his accuracy.

Tano

Legend
And arm talent and ability to read defenses is what makes you a lasting QB. And Goff is just now starting to read defenses like an above average QB should. We will see if that continues.
@fanotodd

Name one QB who has arm talent but is a read one and done QB that lasts longer than 5 years as a top 10 QB

Murray - no
Superman - no
Jackson - maybe but his last two years have been pretty bad

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Yeah, I don't understand why Stafford is not regarded as an elite QB.

There is definitely some sort of bias at play. Perhaps "analysts" are still mad at having to watch Detroit game film. :D

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
@fanotodd

Name one QB who has arm talent but is a read one and done QB that lasts longer than 5 years as a top 10 QB

Murray - no
Superman - no
Jackson - maybe but his last two years have been pretty bad

Thanks for bringing me into the conversation.
1) can’t think of anybody in particular, off the top of my head. But I’ve seen plenty of great QBs look only at one receiver AT TIMES because that’s the play and it’s there. Doing it more than not? No, you won’t last long. THATS why krapernick washed out of the NFL, not the national anthem stuff. I saw him vs the Rams in each of the last 2 years at candlestick. He sucked for the very reason you cited—always locked onto one guy. He STILL couldn’t hit him unless the guy was wide open.

2) I don’t agree that Goff “is just starting” to get it. I have been so anxious for football that I have been watching highlights from games from each year of the McVay era. I have to say, Goff looked incredible at times during 2018. He was not locked onto one guy most of the time. That offense was better than the one in 2021 and Goff was a huge reason. Go back and watch. He was superb that year—except the fumbles! I might start a thread on comparing those two teams just to help us pass the time.

I know this all started because the name justin fields came up, so I’ll say this about him:
His line sucked and he, if anything, may have started to develop a nasty habit of “one look and go.” If he doesn’t get a better OL so he has time to make reads and let plays develop, he might never reach his potential. Like you said, he could wash out real fast. He needs a good QB teacher type coach too. Fields has a lotta raw ability, but that won’t count for shit if he turns out to be nothing more than a one look and go guy.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Re: Fields I think he's a slow processor. If he's going to succeed in this league the offense needs to be shaped around him with a lot of movement to buy him time where he's not diagnosing the rush as much and can use his best talents. The more he drops back in the pocket the more he's gonna struggle.

I admit I haven't watched a ton of his games but from what I've seen his head is all over the place. Some guys just aren't wired to live in the pocket in this league, it's a skill that requires specific talents one of which is an agile mind and visual recognition/processing.

Tano

Legend
Thanks for bringing me into the conversation.
1) can’t think of anybody in particular, off the top of my head. But I’ve seen plenty of great QBs look only at one receiver AT TIMES because that’s the play and it’s there. Doing it more than not? No, you won’t last long. THATS why krapernick washed out of the NFL, not the national anthem stuff. I saw him vs the Rams in each of the last 2 years at candlestick. He sucked for the very reason you cited—always locked onto one guy. He STILL couldn’t hit him unless the guy was wide open.

2) I don’t agree that Goff “is just starting” to get it. I have been so anxious for football that I have been watching highlights from games from each year of the McVay era. I have to say, Goff looked incredible at times during 2018. He was not locked onto one guy most of the time. That offense was better than the one in 2021 and Goff was a huge reason. Go back and watch. He was superb that year—except the fumbles! I might start a thread on comparing those two teams just to help us pass the time.

I know this all started because the name justin fields came up, so I’ll say this about him:
His line sucked and he, if anything, may have started to develop a nasty habit of “one look and go.” If he doesn’t get a better OL so he has time to make reads and let plays develop, he might never reach his potential. Like you said, he could wash out real fast. He needs a good QB teacher type coach too. Fields has a lotta raw ability, but that won’t count for shit if he turns out to be nothing more than a one look and go guy.
On Goff - although he has always looked at more than one receiver even during the so called down years of 2019 and 2020, his ability to read defenses quickly has always been questioned.

Last year, everyone around him stated that he was definitely better able to read defenses than he had in the past. That is what I meant by just starting to read defenses.

I have always been a big supporter of Goff but I have acknowledged that he has some weaknesses.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Re: Fields I think he's a slow processor. If he's going to succeed in this league the offense needs to be shaped around him with a lot of movement to buy him time where he's not diagnosing the rush as much and can use his best talents. The more he drops back in the pocket the more he's gonna struggle.

I admit I haven't watched a ton of his games but from what I've seen his head is all over the place. Some guys just aren't wired to live in the pocket in this league, it's a skill that requires specific talents one of which is an agile mind and visual recognition/processing.

Yeah but you can also see the talent. Bears were limited in WRs so yeah of course you aren't gonna get the best reads.

There were plays that he just couldn't find anybody so he took off. And he's damn good at it. Let him develop in the pass game.

oldnotdead

Legend
And arm talent and ability to read defenses is what makes you a lasting QB. And Goff is just now starting to read defenses like an above average QB should. We will see if that continues.

In regards to "just starting to read" McVay never gave Goff a chance to read. He held him in the huddle so long it was run the play as called even if it was a loser or get a penalty. How many times did we see Goff trying to change the play by his read only to get a penalty because McVay only gave him a few seconds to get the play off. Advantage defense because now they can simply tee off knowing he can't quick snap or draw them off sides.

Funny how people are amazed that Goff could develop in Detroit when they actually took the time to develop his skills and LA didn't. McVay didn't want Goff because he wasn't "his guy". But it's water under the bridge because now Goff can showcase himself and McVay got his "guy". LA got a Lombardi, Detroit got a franchise QB, both sides won IMO. Goff is professionally happy, and Matt is ecstatic because he got his ring before he retires.

The only real loss was losing Holmes. IMO the LA drafts have been good but Holmes is showing in Detroit he's a good judge of talent.

Tano

Legend
In regards to "just starting to read" McVay never gave Goff a chance to read. He held him in the huddle so long it was run the play as called even if it was a loser or get a penalty. How many times did we see Goff trying to change the play by his read only to get a penalty because McVay only gave him a few seconds to get the play off. Advantage defense because now they can simply tee off knowing he can't quick snap or draw them off sides.

Funny how people are amazed that Goff could develop in Detroit when they actually took the time to develop his skills and LA didn't. McVay didn't want Goff because he wasn't "his guy". But it's water under the bridge because now Goff can showcase himself and McVay got his "guy". LA got a Lombardi, Detroit got a franchise QB, both sides won IMO. Goff is professionally happy, and Matt is ecstatic because he got his ring before he retires.

The only real loss was losing Holmes. IMO the LA drafts have been good but Holmes is showing in Detroit he's a good judge of talent.
Goff had trouble with blitzes as a Ram (Miami game) and pressure (SF primarily) and that caused the majority of Goff's interceptions.

I blame that on Goff's inability to read a defense quickly to see the blitzes and being able to get rid of the ball quickly under pressure.

Now you may be right that Goff was rushed to the huddle too fast on those plays to be able to see those rushes coming.

I don't know to be honest.

But part of the growth of a QB is being able to read defenses faster.

As Jrry32 has stated many times, the best QBs usually don't start having their career years until their 6th season at the earliest.

Goff was just starting his 6th year when he went to a brand new offense without having any decent receivers until Amon St Brown started to come into his own and Detroit got Reynolds who is at best a number 3 receiver and he was number 1 at Detroit the first year.

So we will never know if Goff got better reading defenses his first year (6th overall) because of that reason.

However, his seventh year with better receivers definitely showed Goff's growth at reading defenses.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Yeah but you can also see the talent. Bears were limited in WRs so yeah of course you aren't gonna get the best reads.

There were plays that he just couldn't find anybody so he took off. And he's damn good at it. Let him develop in the pass game.
Yes but talent comes up short all the time at this level at QB. Talent matters but only given that the QB has the ability to run the offense he is in. The Bears are going to need to ensure they have enough designed rollouts and simplified reads plus a run game to put up a top offense with him as the trigger man.

If you roll into a playoff must-win situation with that dude at QB and anything goes wrong with the above you're done. So in spite of all that talent he's lumped in with a ton of QBs who require a good run game and an OC baking in easy reads for him to be successful.

Now maybe he takes a big step forward this year. That is certainly possible. But I think he's got some shit to prove before he's put in that category.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I think that is more on Noteboom for getting beat inside when he was in the better position at the snap of the ball. Edward's primary job is to make sure he passes his guy to Allen effectively. Allen doesn't notice the handoff until it was too late for Edwards to help with Boom. If Edwards turns away to soon, there's a chance there is a free guy up the middle.
Agreed, that's an inside rush and the line protection is going to their right. That's on Boom. Gawd, he's awful.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
On Goff - although he has always looked at more than one receiver even during the so called down years of 2019 and 2020, his ability to read defenses quickly has always been questioned.

Last year, everyone around him stated that he was definitely better able to read defenses than he had in the past. That is what I meant by just starting to read defenses.

I have always been a big supporter of Goff but I have acknowledged that he has some weaknesses.

I see what you mean. Watching Goff in these old games, he does hold the ball a long time occasionally—which leads to those frustrating fumbles.
…but I have to say, at great risk of being publicly rebuked, the 2018 team (especially the offense) was BETTER than the 2021 team. The big difference that put the Rams over the top in 2021 was the experience at BOTH the QB and the HC. They did in the postseason what Goff and the 2nd year McVay could not.

So, bringing this all the way back to Stafford (this thread is supposed to be about him, right?), Goff was better in the regular season in 2018 because he had Gurley. Stafford had rotating “who?” Goff had a better OL and better overall weapons. Sucked Kupp got hurt on a dirty play and missed the postseason.
Stafford and his 10+ seasons of getting knocked around was battle worn and a tough SOB. His resilience vs the 9ers and bengals will be tough to match.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Stafford's 21 post season performance was easily the best I've seen by a qb. It's not even close.

Maybe Kurt with the Cardinals in 09 was just as good but his d let him down in the clutch.

I can't give any credit to that cheat golden boy.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
…but I have to say, at great risk of being publicly rebuked, the 2018 team (especially the offense) was BETTER than the 2021 team.
I have said exactly the same. That 2018 offense was a lot more fun to watch. A healthy Gurley made such a difference to Mcvay’s offense. If they had a healthy Kupp and Gurley in SB LIII, they win it and we are probably having a completely different discussion today.

tempests

Hall of Fame

On the other end of the spectrum, does anyone believe this blow hard?

If his reporting is as good as his gming then I guess not.

He made this same claim in March. Snead publicly refuted him then.

Lombardi is as much a media clown as Florio.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Mike Lombardi was on the Rich Eisen Show after the 2016 Season. Goff's rookie year.

Lombardi said Jared Goff had 'no feel for the game'.
Eisen asked ... 'You can tell that after only 7 games?'

Lombardi ... that Fat, Arrogant Piece of Shit replied ... 'I could tell that after 7 passes'

THAT is Mike Lombardi.

Over the next two seasons, the Quarterback with "no feel for the game" went 24-7 as a starter on two Divisional Champions, with 60 TDs against just 19 interceptions; and was a two-time Pro Bowl selection.

Say it with me guys ... Mike Lombardi has "Absolutely No Feel for the Game of Football"