Great Confidence-Builder For The O-Line

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I don't think I've ever seen this line run block as they did last night. So often during the Todd Gurley years, even during his studly seasons, too many times he took TFLs, sometimes 3, 4 yard losses. No Ram RB last night lost yards that I could remember. Always going forward, even if it was just a couple. Really helped the passing out.

Maybe that's why they didn't draft any? :explode:

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
Noteboom got beat on at least one pass play and whiffed on at least one run block but overall the o-line held in there. They run-blocked better than I thought they would. McVay's quick pass scheme didn't allow the rushers to get in on Goff for most of the game because he got it out so quickly.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I don't think I've ever seen this line run block as they did last night. So often during the Todd Gurley years, even during his studly seasons, too many times he took TFLs, sometimes 3, 4 yard losses. No Ram RB last night lost yards that I could remember. Always going forward, even if it was just a couple. Really helped the passing out.

Maybe that's why they didn't draft any? :explode:

So the very quick passes and rollouts don’t tell you anything when much of McVays philosophy is to attack all three levels of the field. He limited most of his attack to the short section and a little middle with one big pass play to Van Jefferson.

It looked a lot like what he did last year after watching the Oline struggle. It’s obvious he does not trust this group like he did the line in 2018. :unsure:

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
I don't mind the dink and dunk approach. Dominating TOP left the Cowboys defense in the field much longer and eventually opened big plays such as Van Jefferson's 31-yard catch while keeping our defense fresh.

O-line did a good job for the most part with the 2 second pocket.

oldnotdead

Legend
Just about everyone missed a block or two, but the scheme protected them with Goff not holding the ball. Overall the o-line blocked much better this year. They used multiple blocking schemes, inside zone, gap blocking and their horizontal zone was different as it used more of a vertical concept, not the simplistic horizontal concept they used exclusively last year. The o-line protection wasn't great but it was better than average in the passing game. Blythe got caught with what looked like a stunt on the Goff hit that led to the INT. Once again he simply had his back turned (poor technique) and the rusher ran right by him. But as I've said they all had their misses, but played well enough for the Boys front 7 which is the strength of their defense, not to be able to stop the Ram offense.

The o-line played about how I expected. They are good and will get better. This shows it was a matter of coaching, not the personnel. Even when he dropped back Goff had time to make his quick reads and throws. Goff's biggest issue has been holding the ball too long and that looked to be resolved. Last night the country saw what this team is, a playoff-bound division winner. They put the NFCW on notice, that the Rams are back.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame

And we really needed to see that, after last year. I loved the couple times Collinsworth pointed out our OL was pushing forward instead of getting moved laterally like last year.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
So the very quick passes and rollouts don’t tell you anything when much of McVays philosophy is to attack all three levels of the field. He limited most of his attack to the short section and a little middle with one big pass play to Van Jefferson.

It looked a lot like what he did last year after watching the Oline struggle. It’s obvious he does not trust this group like he did the line in 2018. :unsure:

I was talking about the run blocking, but ok. Even though there was quite a good amount of intermediate and deep routes...drops and Jared not pulling the trigger on Cooper Kupp for whatever reason.

Criticism police always on patrol.

200.gif

MachS

Hall of Fame
The start of last year got them out to 3-0. I totally agree that scheming can only get you so far. Without McVay and McConnel's plan of attack, this game could have been ugly for the Online. I don't think they get three wins in before teams start to get a better plan of attack out of the gates. Once Dallas began to read the bootlegs, screens and receiver runs it forced McVay to switch things up and the Rams only scored seven to open the half. I would be more comfortable with another TD in the third or fourth.

Yea I agree...for how well we moved the ball and Goff was sharp for most of the game, we didn't play well in the red zone. 3 FGs when we should've scored a TD on at least one of those drives. But it was nice to see Havenstein playing better and more importantly, the interior OL is what we're all concerned with and Blythe and Corbett both played pretty well. In the run game I think the line got solid push so that is encouraging. But we will need to hold up in pass blocking better to allow more of the down the field passing attack to take place. I think in the 2nd half we started showing more of our intermediate passing game versus our first few drives. But again I think McVay wanted to ensure 100% the OL didn't lose us this game and schemed accordingly. But given the TOP and how well we ran the ball, we should've put up more points for sure. As long as the OL stays healthy hopefully they can improve, and I hope Noteboom can get better :hope:.

MachS

Hall of Fame
I have to wonder if he's on a short leash for sticking Edwards or even Evans in there....

I thought it was odd when he was named starter over Edwards. Maybe Noteboom is better in the run game or they are forecasting a higher upside if he can develop because he's a better athlete...But man this is his 3rd year in the NFL and he's shown nothing but very bad play thus far, so wouldn't surprise me if he gets benched at some point. How many of these type performances does McVay allow before he turns to Edwards or Evans? It's no different from what we saw last year before his injury.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I thought it was odd when he was named starter over Edwards. Maybe Noteboom is better in the run game or they are forecasting a higher upside if he can develop because he's a better athlete...But man this is his 3rd year in the NFL and he's shown nothing but very bad play thus far, so wouldn't surprise me if he gets benched at some point. How many of these type performances does McVay allow before he turns to Edwards or Evans? It's no different from what we saw last year before his injury.

Well this week will be a test for him. Lets see how he does in the next couple games and that should give us a better indicator whether he's going to be the guy moving forward. I have to believe that the Rams have a backup plan in place if Boom were to fall flat.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
This was a good calibration game for the OL. But it was a good calibration game for the entire O and D as well. There needs to be some tweaks made but I am confident come next game day we will be more dialed in.

what about the FG kicker?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Well this week will be a test for him.
No shit. Have to think he's going to get a good dose of Fletcher Cox. Hard to imagine that going well for him.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Noteboom just looks out of place--looks like we have a tall TE trying to play G.

Sometimes coaches get too prideful that a guy they took in the second round is getting beat out by a 6th or 7th round pick. It's what gets coaches fired. Hopefully McVay is smart enough to see that.