Great Confidence-Builder For The O-Line

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
And a great scheme by McVay with the quick outs and the screens.

But I thought they looked pretty damn good in the run game! ;)

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Its tough to get a good read on the Online with so many quick throws. If we keep seeing that same game plan all year I'd say its safe to say McVay lacks confidence in the Online. Compare it to 2017-2018 when Goff stood in the pocket and had all of the time he needed to let longer plays develop. If McVay tried that the game would have been disastrous.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Its tough to get a good read on the Online with so many quick throws. If we keep seeing that same game plan all year I'd say its safe to say McVay lacks confidence in the Online. Compare it to 2017-2018 when Goff stood in the pocket and had all of the time he needed to let longer plays develop. If McVay tried that the game would have been disastrous.

The Cowboys have a really good pass rush, but still, I'm a bit concerned with the OL too. Noteboom has to step it up. Will say that they blocked pretty well in the running game tonight. Havenstein and Whitworth were flattening guys.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hav Boom and Whit all missed blocks more than once. Overall yes they were very good and Corbett/Blythe looked very solid the whole game to me. Whit and Hav and Corbett had some very big blocks.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Hav Boom and Whit all missed blocks more than once. Overall yes they were very good and Corbett/Blythe looked very solid the whole game to me. Whit and Hav and Corbett had some very big blocks.

love Blythe at Center. Goff & him we’re dialed in.
Jared Goff is great with his snap
Count. Last season they could not use it much with all the new O”Lineman.

MachS

Hall of Fame

Pretty obvious that McVay didnt want the oline to lose the game for us, hence the gameplan. But the dink and dunk bootleg stuff will only take us so far. We need to open it up as the season goes on, but at least we ran block well. I think Blythe and Corbett played pretty well, and Hav/Whit looked good too. Noteboom is still a liability on every pass play though. Hopefully he can stay healthy and improve but idk at this point if he'll ever be a good guard. By far the worst player on the line tonight.

The concern with the lack of chunk gains is when our running game is shut down, because it will happen... what will the offense look like then?? Tonight we had a lot of 3rd and manageable situations so the defense didnt know if run or pass was coming, and the little out routes and screens worked well. But look at the few 3rd and long known passing situations we were in- the OL gave up multiple QB pressures and Goff rushed a throw to an open Higbee and missed, thew a pick (yes it was a penalty but still should have gotten rid of it quicker) and had a ball tipped that almost led to a second pick. These plays were a 2nd and long after a penalty as well as two 3rd and longs. All three incomplete passes with a turnover and a punt, and we were lucky it wasn't two turnovers out of these three plays to be honest.

My point is when the running game is shut down we will be forced into those known passing situations many more times in a game, and the OL wasn't great in those situations tonight for the most part. I agree with you they still have a lot to prove but overall its not a bad start given how last year went.

Last edited:

TexasRam

Legend

Agreed with that. 2018 was excellent protection.

I think Mcvay called a great game. Why risk forcing Whitworth and Noteboom to block Aldon Smith all night. Let's face it, Smith is still an Elite pass rusher. Between With and Hav one of them would eventually lose their edge guy if we tried the longer routes consistently.

I want to watch the game tape before I make judgement on the run blocking. But its clear there was some improvement. Though the Cowboys Interior lineman aren't world beaters and Vander Esche went out.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The Cowboys have a really good pass rush, but still, I'm a bit concerned with the OL too. Noteboom has to step it up. Will say that they blocked pretty well in the running game tonight. Havenstein and Whitworth were flattening guys.
Yeah I saw things similarly. Gonna review the game before I draw too many conclusions but the pass pro wasn't good. And McVay wasn't willing to risk long developing plays he prefers. There's a story there no doubt and it's probably that McVay doesn't trust the line yet.

Either way the run game was a huge deal though. Really good sign.

norcalramfan

Starter
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There was one 31 yard pass to Jefferson that Goff had time to complete. Nice catch by the rookie too.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
This was a good calibration game for the OL. But it was a good calibration game for the entire O and D as well. There needs to be some tweaks made but I am confident come next game day we will be more dialed in.

On the interception Goff being hit in the face mask affected the throw. It wasn’t where the throw got of clean and he was then hit. Giving a pass to Goff on that one.

They actually started to throw deeper the second half and pass-pro was good.

IBruce80

Tokyo Ram
First game with no warm up matches, my honest opinion is that they played as well as i could have hoped for.
This was a big test for them and i am hoping things can only get better.
McVay had the right strategy with the short passes and screens.
But we all know that can't last for long.
A win and now with some game tape review is a blessing.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I watched the Eagles-Skins game and Eagles D is no where near as good as the Cowboys. Rams OL should look better next week.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Their best runs were consistently with Brown. His running style tends to lead to yards after contact, which has never been sustainable. He even had similar success running that way last year. A key indicator for me is if Henderson and Akers can break off any runs past the front seven. I didn't see those kinds of holes opening. It would have been more encouraging to see either of the break of some more 8-15 yard runs.

Pretty obvious that McVay didnt want the oline to lose the game for us, hence the gameplan. But the dink and dunk bootleg stuff will only take us so far. We need to open it up as the season goes on, but at least we ran block well. I think Blythe and Corbett played pretty well, and Hav/Whit looked good too. Noteboom is still a liability on every pass play though. Hopefully he can stay healthy and improve but idk at this point if he'll ever be a good guard. By far the worst player on the line tonight.

The concern with the lack of chunk gains is when our running game is shut down, because it will happen... what will the offense look like then?? Tonight we had a lot of 3rd and manageable situations so the defense didnt know if run or pass was coming, and the little out routes and screens worked well. But look at the few 3rd and long known passing situations we were in- the OL gave up multiple QB pressures and Goff rushed a throw to an open Higbee and missed, thew a pick (yes it was a penalty but still should have gotten rid of it quicker) and had a ball tipped that almost led to a second pick. These plays were a 2nd and long after a penalty as well as two 3rd and longs. All three incomplete passes with a turnover and a punt, and we were lucky it wasn't two turnovers out of these three plays to be honest.

My point is when the running game is shut down we will be forced into those known passing situations many more times in a game, and the OL wasn't great in those situations tonight for the most part. I agree with you they still have a lot to prove but overall its not a bad start given how last year went.

The start of last year got them out to 3-0. I totally agree that scheming can only get you so far. Without McVay and McConnel's plan of attack, this game could have been ugly for the Online. I don't think they get three wins in before teams start to get a better plan of attack out of the gates. Once Dallas began to read the bootlegs, screens and receiver runs it forced McVay to switch things up and the Rams only scored seven to open the half. I would be more comfortable with another TD in the third or fourth.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I watched the Eagles-Skins game and Eagles D is no where near as good as the Cowboys. Rams OL should look better next week.

I hope you are right. The Cowboys don't have a good secondary and that necessary game plan limited Goff to only 275 yards passing.

The eagles offense did not look too good so hopefully the Rams defense comes up big.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Wentz was sacked 8 times. How many can Rams D get?
Washington has one of the most stacked DLs in the league. Philly played right into their only strength. They will not let that happen again IMO. The Rams aren't getting to Wentz like the Foreskins did.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
I would be more comfortable with another TD in the third or fourth.

Refs took away one of our drives in the third quarter by not calling the head slap on Goff. Had the Rams converted on that drive following a 15 yard penalty, and the Cowboys not instead have been awarded a free field goal, the game would have tilted strongly in our favor.