Grade our draft so far.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
There's a poll at the side of the page but I'd be interested in a bit more detail behind people's reasoning.

I'd give it a C+, we came into day 1 with 3 big needs, CB, FS, WR we go into day 2 with 3 big needs, CB, FS, WR. We did add 2 really nice players but I'm not sure how many games they help us win.

If we can land one of my top 2 WRs and one of my top FSs tonight then I'll be bump up the overall grade to a B+.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A

The point of the draft is to come away with as much talent as possible. The Rams managed to come away with two top 5 players from my draft board in the first round. Enough said. Great first day.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

needs, shneeds.

I already stated in the kd thread that I already give this Draft an A+++.

jjab360

Legend
A+

I wanna just give it a plain ol' A, but we nailed it. Snead said he wanted two HOFers and they got pretty much the two best bets in the draft for my money. Two hard working athletic freaks (almost impossible to find that combination nowadays) that dominated the college level? Yes, please and thank you.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Easy A+. I was honest to fate expecting Donald to be taken by the Bucs just because of his talent. He fell to us at 13, and we accepted the gift horse without thinking twice. Before that, we took an offensive tackle who's the most talented that our acclaimed offensive line coach has worked with since Willie Roaf, who immediately fills a need for both now and the future. I would have been fine with Robinson or Matthews at #2, and that's exactly what the Rams did. Snead said that he wanted to get two Hall-of-Fame players with his two first round picks - and when both of your first round picks are being compared to Hall-of-Fame players, that's about as close as you can get for the time being.

There's a poll at the side of the page but I'd be interested in a bit more detail behind people's reasoning.

I'd give it a C+, we came into day 1 with 3 big needs, CB, FS, WR we go into day 2 with 3 big needs, CB, FS, WR. We did add 2 really nice players but I'm not sure how many games they help us win.

If we can land one of my top 2 WRs and one of my top FSs tonight then I'll be bump up the overall grade to a B+.
I gotta go with A
Only thing I would have preferred was Matthews over Robinson but Robinson does have the higher ceiling ( can't believe I just said higher ceiling ) this is a great draft so far let's hope in continues.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Easy A+. I was honest to fate expecting Donald to be taken by the Bucs just because of his talent. He fell to us at 13, and we accepted the gift horse without thinking twice. Before that, we took an offensive tackle who's the most talented that our acclaimed offensive line coach has worked with since Willie Roaf, who immediately fills a need for both now and the future. I would have been fine with Robinson or Matthews at #2, and that's exactly what the Rams did. Snead said that he wanted to get two Hall-of-Fame players with his two first round picks - and when both of your first round picks are being compared to Hall-of-Fame players, that's about as close as you can get for the time being.

Interesting you mention Roaf. Because whenever people have compared Robinson to Pace, I've always thought more about Willie Roaf as his ceiling.

Roaf had similar size and a similar build while Orlando was a longer guy with a different type of build. Plus, Roaf was one of the most dominating run blockers I've ever seen.

If Robinson ends up like Roaf, we've got ourselves one amazing player. Regardless, I felt we couldn't go wrong with Robinson or Matthews(even if I had a preference towards Matthews because he was the safe pick) and we drafted one of the two.

Can't wait to see our OL in action. Turned an unit that was dreadful in 2010 and 2011 into very possibly one of the best in football. We're a team that can dominate the trenches on offense and defense...and that's going to make a HUGE difference.

Plus, gotta say that I'm excited about seeing Saffold and Robinson together...especially if both are at OG. That'll mean we have two 330+ pound OGs with LT athleticism.

Not sure how many games it will help us win.

Robinson should open up big lanes for Stacey helping our run game keeping there D honest and tired. Whilst also keeping Bradford upright and buying him more time. Surely this helps us win games. Donald creates more pass rush improving our secondary instantly and making the QB cough up errant passes for them to pick off. Also he forces them to eat turf for their dinner. This will contribute to wins.

jjab360

Legend
Interesting you mention Roaf. Because whenever people have compared Robinson to Pace, I've always thought more about Willie Roaf as his ceiling.

Roaf had similar size and a similar build while Orlando was a longer guy with a different type of build. Plus, Roaf was one of the most dominating run blockers I've ever seen.

If Robinson ends up like Roaf, we've got ourselves one amazing player. Regardless, I felt we couldn't go wrong with Robinson or Matthews(even if I had a preference towards Matthews because he was the safe pick) and we drafted one of the two.

Can't wait to see our OL in action. Turned an unit that was dreadful in 2010 and 2011 into very possibly one of the best in football. We're a team that can dominate the trenches on offense and defense...and that's going to make a HUGE difference.

Plus, gotta say that I'm excited about seeing Saffold and Robinson together...especially if both are at OG. That'll mean we have two 330+ pound OGs with LT athleticism.
I liked Matthews too, but you can't say this wasn't the more exciting pick by far. Sure, you might have to stick him inside for a year while he brushes up on his technique and gets the little things down, but at the end of the day you're not gonna hear Matthews compared to these HOFers because he just doesn't have that ability. Robinson does, imo, and I think he has the right mental makeup to reach that potential, too, this is a scary pick for the rest of the NFC West.

I don't see the big deal about having him play OG for a year anyway, he's that big dominant intimidating presence no matter where he is on the OL. Having him in a spot that hides his weaknesses and emphasizes his strengths right now is going to help him have a huge impact next year, imo.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Not sure how many games it will help us win.

Robinson should open up big lanes for Stacey helping our run game keeping there D honest and tired. Whilst also keeping Bradford upright and buying him more time. Surely this helps us win games. Donald creates more pass rush improving our secondary instantly and making the QB cough up errant passes for them to pick off. Also he forces them to eat turf for their dinner. This will contribute to wins.

As long as we stay ahead of the chains I don't think we'll have many problems, but as soon as we fall behind I don't see any receiver on our team who can pull us out of it or who the opposition D has to respect. I also worry about 3rd and 10 I'd only trust Bailey to actually catch the football in such a situation, everyone else is an adventure even on a well thrown ball. Our O line on the other hand was already solid.

Defensively sacks and hurries are great, but if opposition QBs have WRs running wide open they're still going to complete a high percentage of passes regardless of the impact that Donald has. How many sacks/hurries does Donald actually contribute when that's already your D's strength?

If both players turn out to be the hall of famers Snead wanted to get from the draft then it will easily be an A++++ draft but today it still leaves me with the same worries I had going into the draft.

As long as we stay ahead of the chains I don't think we'll have many problems, but as soon as we fall behind I don't see any receiver on our team who can pull us out of it or who the opposition D has to respect. I also worry about 3rd and 10 I'd only trust Bailey to actually catch the football in such a situation, everyone else is an adventure even on a well thrown ball. Our O line on the other hand was already solid.

Defensively sacks and hurries are great, but if opposition QBs have WRs running wide open they're still going to complete a high percentage of passes regardless of the impact that Donald has. How many sacks/hurries does Donald actually contribute when that's already your D's strength?

If both players turn out to be the hall of famers Snead wanted to get from the draft then it will easily be an A++++ draft but today it still leaves me with the same worries I had going into the draft.
I hear you buddy they are legit concerns. I like bailey in clutch situations to. Think he is going to be a really surprising pro bowl talent. Reminds me of Bruce but I might get killed for saying that.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
A

Not an A+ only because i would have liked(ideally) to trade down a few spots from #2 and still land either Robinson or Matthews with an additional 2nd rd pick...

Yes there are clear needs at DB, but there are problems up front offensively too...and we don't have a one-read -then-take off and run QB to hide those deficiencies up front. Robinson is physical,has tremendous upside and will immediately impact our run game vs the rest of the division. Rams got stuck at #2(IMO) and weighed the option of Robinson/Matthews/Watkins/Mack. They went with the philosophy of upgrade a weak unit with a BIG talent,and fill a hole in one fell swoop. Love it.

I'm surprised that Donald made it to us at #13. We've got a very good DLine already i get that, but it's strengths are clearly on the edges in terms of pass rush. Donald brings a disruptive force up the middle and is a tremendously strong and gifted athlete who was uber-productive all over the line in college. BPA no doubt in my mind.

Also, anyone who feels that Donald is a pick of overkill and repetition, i sure hope you weren't pulling for Clowney at #2. Three reasons:
1) Clowney would play behind three or four very talented DE's and fight to get reps...waiting his turn to be a star.
2) Donald will step right in at DT and have every opportunity to make an impact right away.
3) Why draft a player who you feel is overkill at #2 when you can get one at #13 instead? ;)

Last edited:

jap

Legend
BonifayRam must be going crazy with glee since last night. The top-rated OL and DT draft choices going to our Horns!?! What the hell are Fish, Snead, and company gonna do for an encore tonight!?! :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I liked Matthews too, but you can't say this wasn't the more exciting pick by far. Sure, you might have to stick him inside for a year while he brushes up on his technique and gets the little things down, but at the end of the day you're not gonna hear Matthews compared to these HOFers because he just doesn't have that ability. Robinson does, imo, and I think he has the right mental makeup to reach that potential, too, this is a scary pick for the rest of the NFC West.

I don't see the big deal about having him play OG for a year anyway, he's that big dominant intimidating presence no matter where he is on the OL. Having him in a spot that hides his weaknesses and emphasizes his strengths right now is going to help him have a huge impact next year, imo.

Matthews could certainly be compared to HOFers including his father. And Robinson or Matthews, doesn't matter, I would have put either one at LG as a rookie unless Long couldn't play.

Regardless, I think both have the potential to be great. Reason why I favored Matthews is because I think he's more likely to hit it and more likely to be the better player next year. He's the safer pick. But there's no denying that Robinson has a higher ceiling if both maximize their skill-sets.

SierraRam

Recreational User
upload_2014-5-9_3-38-24.jpeg
A! For all the reasons listed above... Today, we'll get some Secondary help

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Well, I gotta give it an A thus far. I have been clamoring for the rams to build those lines, and that is exactly what they appear to have done, so no complaints. I was sitting next to my neighbor (Steeler fan) who was stunned that Donald was still on the board at like pick 9. He was praying that he would fall to the Steelers and was stunned when the Rams took him. His exact words: "Wow.......wow that front seven is unreal...". I tend to agree.

iced

I'd give it a C. robinson is a C pick, Donald is an A