Gotta get this TruJo second tagging thing off my chest...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
At this point, I'm hoping for a trade giving us a premium pick to use for his replacement THIS year. Wade will make good use of a rookie back there. Much better to replace Tru at a time and place of our choosing.

Oh and btw I have no problem with the above. IF the Rams can find a team that can get Tru to settle on a contract they both like, then yeah that would be cool. But outside of that happening no team is going to give us a premium pick for a one year rental who can't be signed.

And again in this particular draft with enormous CB depth the odds are further stacked against the Rams I'd think. Why give them a pick for an above average CB who wants top dollar when I can draft one in a stacked draft?

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
@Rams43 who is the FA you want, who is going to do more for this team than Trumaine? Rams didn't have any issues bringing in the FAs they were interested in, only one who got away I think was Garcon who the 9ers overpaid for pretty badly.

And yeah you're not the only one second guessing it, I'd say you're in the majority especially on Rams sites around the web.

I'm afraid that the FA market at CB ship has now already sailed, Merlin. Now it's become a moot point. Although Webster was a fine late catch.

I do believe that there were a few other opportunities early on. But as I say, the Tru tagging precluded pursuing them. Once they made that decision, the die were cast.

However, even if they had allowed Tru to walk without receiving any Ram compensation, what would have been the worst possible scenario? We would have used our #37 on a drafted rookie CB. Something that we are now highly likely to do, anyway.

See where I'm going with this? We are kinda chasing our tail with regard to the TruJo situation. Do we replace him THIS year? Or do we replace him NEXT year? And which long term strategy works best for the Rams while giving them the most control over their options? Emphasis long term...

I'll be honest, here. Part of my frustration comes from paying TruJo $16.7 million while he and his damned agent hold the Rams as cap hostage because he refuses to agree to a long term fair market contract loaded with guarantees. He's selfishly and foolishly hurting the team. That pisses me off. I mean, a LOT.

There. I said it.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
All Rams corners were beat badly last season.with the exception of Trumaine, So having Trumaine back as an outside corner sure is comforting. Yes the salary cap hit is seriously way out of line in sizing up what he brings to the table. That's why I desire several drafted outside speedy not Nickle back types added to our DB in the draft.

I look @ it as the position that Fisher ailment he has left the Rams in 2017. Appears that this will need another year to rectify. I am Ok with this currently but when this upcoming season comes to an end then the CB Trumaine Johnson issue must be fully planned out & remedy done. Having several hot talented corner ready to go full-time as starters would be the best resolve. Once again Snead & McVay can take care of in this very good corner draft.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Ogletree is working on his 5'th year 'option' in 2017 and could become a free agent following this season. Donald will be working on his 5'th year option in 2018 and won't be eligible for free agency until 2019.

Thanks for update ... Well think back to Chris Long , James Larinatis , Cook , & that center from GB that all got cut because of salary & poor level of play .

Tru at least is still an ascending player. Yes O'Tree & Donald the same. -Locking those guys up might be the smart move because you can front load the contract , especially if The Rams draft a solid starting CB & trade Tru for a 2nd day pick.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Did I miss something? Last I heard Washington hadn't budged on their 20 mill per deal

Your right !! My bad , he signed a franchise tag. Thought I heard it differently at first. Was think it was a long year. They said trying to work one out.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
However, even if they had allowed Tru to walk without receiving any Ram compensation, what would have been the worst possible scenario? We would have used our #37 on a drafted rookie CB. Something that we are now highly likely to do, anyway.

Even with Tru playing on the tag we have a need at CB, so letting him walk would create yet another need at the same position. I think this is why they kept him, because they didn't want to enter the draft with needs dictating what they were going to do. As it stands they do need a CB, but it's not do or die.

I'm just pointing out that subtracting Tru in year one of a new regime is not necessarily a good thing. There's more to it than the "big problem" fans have with him being paid a few more million than he deserves.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
How so? He just had a down year

Meaning Tru has a lot of upsid still. He has pro bowl potential . His ballnskills are excellent. If he stays healthy he will be a top 10 INT guy . He is getting paid as the best CB in the NFL .

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Meaning Tru has a lot of upsid still. He has pro bowl potential . His ballnskills are excellent. If he stays healthy he will be a top 10 INT guy . He is getting paid as the best CB in the NFL .
I read it the wrong way, my apologies. In comparison to Long, Laurenitis and Cook, he is an ascending player, got it.
I like Tru, hate the contract, hate what could have been with that cap spend and hate that he's likely gone after the year (unless they can dump him off). But its time for me to get over the contract, is what it is.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I'm ok with over paying the guy this year. He's the best DB we have on the roster. If we go into the season with what is on the roster today I believe the defense will be pretty good. And if he is not a good fit for Wade's defense then they can let him walk next year and not tie up anymore cap money. A win win if you ask me.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I read it the wrong way, my apologies. In comparison to Long, Laurenitis and Cook, he is an ascending player, got it.
I like Tru, hate the contract, hate what could have been with that cap spend and hate that he's likely gone after the year (unless they can dump him off). But its time for me to get over the contract, is what it is.

Well Inthink Tru is going to be a solid Ram this year. It's about adding depth now !! I like EJ Gaines still , & think he will play a bibgger role than most Ram fans think. Last year was a down year , because of injury IMHO . Webster should be an ascending player that knows Wade's defense and was playing behind excellent CB's in Denver.
Troy Hill & M. Jordan got some valuable experience which may payoff ? It is a excellent draft at the CB position , so that could give The Rams time to give experience to Tru's replacement ?
Vikings H/c Mike Zimmer says that is the hardest position for a defensive rookie to play(learn) . Tru's salary is a big cap hit , but only for a year(season) .It buys The Rams time though .
They did get a 3rd pick for JJ which they could use for a CB ??
The Rams need a center or a WR as well . I think those 2 of those 3 positions will be addressed with the first 2 draft picks in any of those order ??

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I'm afraid that the FA market at CB ship has now already sailed, Merlin. Now it's become a moot point. Although Webster was a fine late catch.

I do believe that there were a few other opportunities early on. But as I say, the Tru tagging precluded pursuing them. Once they made that decision, the die were cast.

See where I'm going with this? We are kinda chasing our tail with regard to the TruJo situation. Do we replace him THIS year? Or do we replace him NEXT year? And which long term strategy works best for the Rams while giving them the most control over their options? Emphasis long term...

I'll be honest, here. Part of my frustration comes from paying TruJo $16.7 million while he and his damned agent hold the Rams as cap hostage because he refuses to agree to a long term fair market contract loaded with guarantees. He's selfishly and foolishly hurting the team. That pisses me off. I mean, a LOT.

Fact is TJ does not have any all pro seasons under his belt.I would lean to say he has yet to reach his full potential as of yet. If TJ & his agent does go fully down the road you describe in your last sentence I am sure that Snead & McVay will ensure the draft will be forced to include several very good drafted starting corner prospects on April 28 & 29th. That's is sure ti tick Snead & McVay off thoroughly! TJ screwing them on the cap hit fire gamble then forcing Snead's hand & McVay first NFL draft as a HC would pour high octane grade premium small air plane fuel on top of it.

TJ will have no future as a LA Ram after this season ends. TJ will fully cook his goose in LA! His NFL pro reputation as a team player will seriously suffer. More likely he ends up in Cleveland or Buffalo as future teams

Last edited:

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Sucks how much he's getting paid but he's not worth trading for anything less that a 3rd round pick. He is still one of the better corners in the league and could play really well for us next year.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Sucks how much he's getting paid but he's not worth trading for anything less that a 3rd round pick. He is still one of the better corners in the league and could play really well for us next year.

I wouldn't trade for anything less than a second. Good corners are hard to find. I don't think he's a top 5 CB but definitely hovering around top 10

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
The whole thing is kinda comical.
The Rams had no intention to spend Tru's money on other FA's this year. They want the cap space next year to extend players on the team and flexibility of not having players they signed this off season with Tru's cap space to interfere. Same with Tru, nothing long term.

If there was a guy the Rams really wanted this year and knew they could of signed Tru would've went into the FA pool. Lacking that then why not spend it on Tru.
The 16.7m how ever spent wasn't going to guarantee SB trip so why not let Tru fill a hole for another year and replace him as the team grows. He is getting middle aged for a CB

The we want to see how he plays in Wades system thing? Okay. What if he's really bad in it, Justin King bad. They going to pay him 16.7m to be the dime or not dress?
They got 6 years film on him what else you need. They not going to draft any D players since they haven't played in Wades system?
Les you can do better than that.