Gotta get this TruJo second tagging thing off my chest...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
This is still bugging me, dammit.

The TruJo second tagging is the lone head scratching offseason decision by this new regime for me.

All the others I understand and endorse.

But unless their strategy is to trade TruJo for picks predraft (maybe even have one lined up already), this one puzzles me.

Tru is a good CB. Top third of the league, I mean. And I understand that he can play Wade's press man just fine.

But that $16.7 million is just obscene for a damned one year rental, man. Coulda been 2-4 other quality FA's for starter positions or for depth. Or for Donald or Tree extensions.

I remain very impressed with the McVay hire. McVay's asst coaches hires. And all the other FA moves so far, both outgoing and incoming.

I must conclude that the FO knows something that I don't know about this TruJo situation. Duh...

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
Voluntary workouts start in 8 days. That'll be the first time Wade can have any real contact with Tru.

We honestly could still see a trade like you mentioned. I think we also have the potential that Wade likes Tru and we end up getting a long term deal done.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Yeah, this situation bothers me too.

But...

I am letting it play out and hoping for a satisfying outcome, trusting the decision maker's strategy on this one.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
It has to be Trumaine or his agent that is the holdup.

In a way it is smart for Trumaine to get as much money up front with his injury concerns.

Plus for the last couple years he's getting paid probably 50% more than he would on a long-term contract.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It has to be Trumaine or his agent that is the holdup.

In a way it is smart for Trumaine to get as much money up front with his injury concerns.

Plus for the last couple years he's getting paid probably 50% more than he would on a long-term contract.

That might be Tru's mindset, Surfer.

But it might be a penny wise, pound foolish decision.

I mean, a freak accident in any practice, preseason, or regular season game could turn TruJo's plans on their ear.

Just look what happened to the promising Gaines in a damned practice just 2 years ago. Hasn't been the same since.

High stakes career Russian Roulette, if you ask me.

I think the smart play would be for TruJo to sign a 5 year extension with heavy guaranteed money. He'd be set for life, no matter what happens.

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
To play Devils advocate. ... it is possible that Tru hasn't been offered an extention.... as Phillips and the defensive staff have not seen him on the field yet..... and therefore have not offered him an extention or tried to trade him..... you know....;) no stone unturned.....;)

Go Rams....... ;)

…..

Legend
The only thing to rest on is....it's only one year and a stop gap at the position while we reload.

Zero

Pro Bowler
To play Devils advocate. ... it is possible that Tru hasn't been offered an extention.... as Phillips and the defensive staff have not seen him on the field yet..... and therefore have not offered him an extention or tried to trade him..... you know....;) no stone unturned.....;)

Go Rams....... ;)
Excellent point,Ram56

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
idk the way I look at it is even if he got a long term deal this offseason, his price tag this season would probably still be around 16m anyway so its not really like theres a huge difference cap wise this season for him. And I aint paying him his money so idc if its a 1 year rental as long as we find his replacement in the draft or next offseason. only way its really bad to me is if he is signed to a long term deal next year, then thats back to back seasons of 16m price tags.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I don't see Tru as a fit for Son of bum's scheme. I personally don't like Tru's game that much...He's ok, but he's NO Jenoris Jenkins...game changer type.

I think this was a ....just a way to possibly extract some value outta the guy...maybe via trade. They may have over-estimated Tru's worth on the market and are stuck with him.

Personally, I don't see a 16 million dollar corner in the entire league.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
You're over-thinking this @Rams43.

First off, I am sure they made that decision to tag him with Wade's blessing. Everyone seems to think they know what Wade wants in a CB, but he himself has been quoted many times on how he's not rigid with his scheme and here's one of his better ones:

"I don't understand the people that say, 'Hey, this is our scheme and that guy can't play in it,' a guy that can play, and is a good player, but, 'He can't play in our scheme.' To me, there's something wrong with your scheme," Phillips said. "You adapt the scheme to what the players can do, not what you can think of."

He has to have good players to get production and Tru's been a good player. Now, the main problem is you don't think Tru can live up to that one year contract, and I get that, but here's a couple things to consider:

1. A one year deal is not a problem for a club, even if it's an overpay to ensure a position isn't decimated. What clubs fear is multi-year deals where the player doesn't live up to it. With Tru there is no doubt we're gonna get his best effort for a season and under a top DC.

2. Players that Wade inherits tend to be better than everyone thinks they are. This is a testament to what a good teacher he is and how his staff goes about their business. So whatever you think Tru is, it's not unrealistic to think he might be better this season and if he does respond with a career year that money they're paying him might not be as much an overpay as you think.

In the end we're gonna lose him to FA. And tbh I would rather have him this year to ensure we're not short in the secondary and then lose him in FA than trading him away and our defense being short handed. It's not the end of the world if you lose a good player in this league, it's part of how things go.

My biggest fear is they use him for a trade up in the draft. Because then they'll be short a CB and create a hole in their starting roster without getting another pick. Really hope they keep him around this season, that he has a career year, and then if he leaves take the round 3 pick like Belichick does and move on.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Go Rams....... ;)
I don't think it's devil's advocate at all. That is what the organization is preaching. Funny how we are so wired to immediately think what is said is not true....
IIRC, the Rams basically said, "hey we locked him up for the next year, and we'll see how it works out" and the next thing you know, there was trade interest, and allegedly, the Rams were surprised by that but are always willing to discuss. Really cant not listen...

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

I mean, a freak accident in any practice, preseason, or regular season game could turn TruJo's plans on their ear.

Just look what happened to the promising Gaines in a damned practice just 2 years ago. Hasn't been the same since.

I think the smart play would be for TruJo to sign a 5 year extension with heavy guaranteed money. He'd be set for life, no matter what happens.

That contradicts what you are saying about this season then ?? Kurt Cousins is doing the same thing , but just signed a long term deal. If you have listened to Les Snead at all that is what The Rams are doing right now . First though they want to see if he is a real good fit with Wade's defense .
There is also the draft as well ?? The options still are still weighing out. Why sign him for a long term contract if he is not worth the price ?? One thing you know is he is playing for another contract. Which if wants to get paid more than The Rams are offering it has not be at a high level.
You talk about Donald & Tree , but if Tru was signed beyond this season you have a harder time signing one of those guys. Plus The Rams will have a tag for one of those guys at less of a cost than Tru will be getting .

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
You talk about Donald & Tree , but if Tru was signed beyond this season you have a harder time signing one of those guys. Plus The Rams will have a tag for one of those guys at less of a cost than Tru will be getting .
Ogletree is working on his 5'th year 'option' in 2017 and could become a free agent following this season. Donald will be working on his 5'th year option in 2018 and won't be eligible for free agency until 2019.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
You're over-thinking this @Rams43.

First off, I am sure they made that decision to tag him with Wade's blessing. Everyone seems to think they know what Wade wants in a CB, but he himself has been quoted many times on how he's not rigid with his scheme and here's one of his better ones:

"I don't understand the people that say, 'Hey, this is our scheme and that guy can't play in it,' a guy that can play, and is a good player, but, 'He can't play in our scheme.' To me, there's something wrong with your scheme," Phillips said. "You adapt the scheme to what the players can do, not what you can think of."

He has to have good players to get production and Tru's been a good player. Now, the main problem is you don't think Tru can live up to that one year contract, and I get that, but here's a couple things to consider:

1. A one year deal is not a problem for a club, even if it's an overpay to ensure a position isn't decimated. What clubs fear is multi-year deals where the player doesn't live up to it. With Tru there is no doubt we're gonna get his best effort for a season and under a top DC.

2. Players that Wade inherits tend to be better than everyone thinks they are. This is a testament to what a good teacher he is and how his staff goes about their business. So whatever you think Tru is, it's not unrealistic to think he might be better this season and if he does respond with a career year that money they're paying him might not be as much an overpay as you think.

In the end we're gonna lose him to FA. And tbh I would rather have him this year to ensure we're not short in the secondary and then lose him in FA than trading him away and our defense being short handed. It's not the end of the world if you lose a good player in this league, it's part of how things go.

My biggest fear is they use him for a trade up in the draft. Because then they'll be short a CB and create a hole in their starting roster without getting another pick. Really hope they keep him around this season, that he has a career year, and then if he leaves take the round 3 pick like Belichick does and move on.

Maybe I'm not the only one overthinking this, Merlin. Lol.

Here's my response to your points and in a friendly spitballin' kinda way, of course...

1. You say that the 1 year contract is not a problem for a club. I disagree. It ties up $16.7 million in cap dollars, just for openers. That meets my definition of a problem, right there. For an upper one third CB, mind you. Could have been 3 or 4 other FA players. That ship has now sailed, but it could be considered to "hurt" a club trying to add talent while rising from the ashes of a 4-12 season. Another problem, imo.

2. Your point about Wade using his players well is a good one. But it does cut both ways. He would have used another FA at CB well, also. Or a new draft pick.

Look, here's my bottom line. We either replace Tru this year or next year. I don't see any other options, really. At this point, I'm hoping for a trade giving us a premium pick to use for his replacement THIS year. Wade will make good use of a rookie back there. Much better to replace Tru at a time and place of our choosing.

This is a rebuilding year under McVay, anyway. So why not bite the bullet and get Tru's replacement in here to grow and develop with everyone else under Wade?

I can see where 2 reasonable people could disagree on this, of course. But this is my take.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Idk to me it's pretty smart in 2 yrs he is looking at over 30million guaranteed. Let's say he does get hurt he can still sign a long term deal but with 30 mill guaranteed. That's 60 million guaranteed plus his rookie money. The guy set from that. Now let's say he stays healthy and performs well now that long term deal is about 40-50 mill guaranteed. It's a win win for Tru no matter what

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
@Rams43 who is the FA you want, who is going to do more for this team than Trumaine? Rams didn't have any issues bringing in the FAs they were interested in, only one who got away I think was Garcon who the 9ers overpaid for pretty badly.

And yeah you're not the only one second guessing it, I'd say you're in the majority especially on Rams sites around the web.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
IIRC, the Rams basically said, "hey we locked him up for the next year, and we'll see how it works out" and the next thing you know, there was trade interest, and allegedly, the Rams were surprised by that but are always willing to discuss. Really cant not listen...

That's pretty much how I think it went down.

First step was "Hey Wade, what are we gonna do with this dude? Do you need him?" Answer was obviously to tag him again. We can make all manner of assumptions from there, but clearly the Rams decided overpaying him for a year isn't a problem.

What's funny is if the Rams locked him up long term at just below elite money most would be happy. But because they're paying him a few million more everyone has a problem with it. Way I see it I'd rather pay a guy a little too much to see how he plays under the new DC for one season than lock him up long term, and if it means we might lose him so be it.

Much ado about nothing IMO.

Ram65

Legend
But that $16.7 million is just obscene for a damned one year rental, man.

At this point is water under the bridge. The Rams picked the wrong CB to keep last year. Even with keeping TruJo they would have been better serviced giving him a long term deal. They will have paid him 30 + Million over two years with no long term deal. Merlin has a good point.

At this point Wade has to get the new defense off and running. Having TruJo keeps another hole filled this year and lets the defense settle in a little easier than without him. A trade is still possible before the draft or later in the season.