Gordo's Tipsheet: Beckham shows Rams what could have been

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Tipsheet: Beckham shows Rams what could have been
• By Jeff Gordon

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colu...cle_f3b92899-7c47-56f9-a5a3-6b7db5c3a9cd.html

The Rams are thrilled to have defensive tackle Aaron Donald. His disruptive play inside -- quite unusual for a first-year player at this level -- has made a very good defensive line great.

Donald is one of the NFL's top rookies this season on either side of the ball. He has lived up to every positive projection.

Ah, but what if LSU wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr. had fallen to the Rams instead?

You will recall that Beckham went to the New York Giants with the 12th overall pick, one ahead of the Rams' slot. He missed the first four games of the season with a hamstring muscle strain, then became the explosive receiving weapon the Rams have lacked since the great days of Isaac Bruce and Torry Holt.

Beckham makes some crazy catches on the field, turning bad throws into improbable completions. That skill would mean plenty to a team relying on Shaun Hill and Austin Davis to drive the offense.

The Rams took a step forward at wide receiver this season without him, getting a long-awaited breakout from Brian Quick and a consistently strong showing from free agent Kenny Britt.

After Quick went down with an arm injury. Stedman Bailey emerged nicely after working back from his earlier suspension. These three, plus slot receiver Tavon Austin create a nice receiving corps to take into future seasons.

That's all fine and good, but Beckham is budding superstar. The Rams currently have some very good receiving options, but nothing great.

New York Post columnist Steve Serby tells us that Beckham is great:

We have been awestruck by Odell Beckham Jr. We are a star town, and whenever we get the opportunity to catch a rising star, we never want to let him go.

OBJ caught our attention with his Greatest Catch Ever, and he hasn’t dropped it yet. He is the one shining beacon of light at the end of a dark New York football season, the most compelling reason to watch the New York Football Giants. Talk of the town. No. 13 . . . The 13th Wonder of the World.

He is arguably the most exciting rookie to wear a Giants uniform since Lawrence Taylor cut a tornadic swath of destruction through NFL quarterbacks and offenses in 1981.

Beckham is the latest phenom who will be asked to stay grounded and cope with the great expectations of a sports-crazed city that never sleeps.

He has 71 catches for 972 yards and nine touchdowns in 10 games this season. He just took down the Washington You Know Whos by catching 12 passes for 143 yards and three touchdowns.

“He feeds an entire team,” Giants star Antrel Rolle told the New York Daily News. “He fuels a stadium. He’s an exciting guy to watch. He’s a helluva player.”

MYSTERIES OF THE UNIVERSE

Questions to ponder while wondering how history will remember the Case Keenum Era with the Rams:

So what is the fallout from Johnny Manziel's epic fail?

What is more fun than piling on Jay Cutler?

Don't you love how the NCAA comes down hard on SEMO, again, while the big money schools break rules with impunity?

QUIPS 'R US

Here is what some of America's leading sports pundits have been writing:

Robert Mays, ESPN.com: "Every so often, players come along who just look different: They move in a way others don’t, and they make plays that other can’t. Beckham is one of those guys. He hauled in three more touchdowns yesterday, and the trio seemed to be a presentation of every skill he possesses. There was a short throw taken 30 yards across the field for a score. There was a contested ball in the end zone. And there was a diving catch in the back corner. In the best class of rookie wide receivers ever, Beckham stands alone. Everyone has spent a Madden season force-feeding a single player to pile up earth-shattering numbers; Beckham is having that season in real life."

Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com: "It's hard to believe the 49ers are out of playoff contention with two weeks to go. Then again, is it? I thought they would take a step back this season. They've dealt with a lot of injuries, but the biggest problem is the head coach is one of those with a shelf life that expires, and he's past the expiration date. Then there's quarterback Colin Kaepernick. He has taken major steps in the wrong direction, and wasn't good in the 49ers' loss to the Seahawks on Sunday. He was 11 of 19 for 141 yards. He was harassed all day by the Seattle front, getting sacked six times and chased the entire game. It looks like Jim Harbaugh is on his way out, so it could be a major shakeup for the 49ers all the way around. Will a new coach want his own quarterback? What does that mean for Kaepernick? Oh, how the mighty have fallen."

Peter King, SI.com: "Buffalo, hosting Green Bay for the first time in Aaron Rodgers’ career, scored one touchdown Sunday. It came on a 75-yard punt return by the team’s sixth wide receiver and punt returner, Marcus Thigpen, who was cut by Tampa Bay last month. Tampa Bay is 2-12. Green Bay quarterback Aaron Rodgers, the presumptive front-runner for his second MVP award, threw his fourth and fifth interceptions of the year at Buffalo on Sunday, both to safety Bacarri Rambo, cut by Washington three months ago. Washington is 3-11. Buffalo 21, Green Bay 13. Marcus Thigpen and Bacarri Rambo, men no one in Wisconsin had heard of at noon on Sunday, playing the big roles in sending the Packers trudging back to the Tundra."

Eric Adelson, Yahoo! Sports: "Eagles coach Chip Kelly called into a local sports radio program Monday morning and pleaded with fans: 'Don't give up on us.' Kind of crazy that it's come to that, considering his team is two weeks removed from a direct shot at having home-field advantage throughout the playoffs. Now the Eagles could miss the playoffs altogether after home losses to the Seahawks and Cowboys. There's no reason to give up on a team with nine wins, two winnable games remaining (against Washington and the Giants), and a tiebreak against Dallas for the NFC East, but there is cause for concern beyond what happens during the rest of this month. To be blunt: the Chip Kelly revolution has run into some counterinsurgency issues."

Will Leitch, Sports on Earth: "Divisions and conferences matter because in every other realm other than this, we insist that they matter. You see this constantly in baseball, but you hear it everywhere: Winning your division should mean something. Divisions built around regional rivalries are organizing and clarifying: The Yankees and Red Sox have been constructing rosters to beat each other for years, and the Blue Jays, Orioles and Rays have been constructing rosters to beat them. This is how it works. You can only control what is right in front of you: You win your division, and then you worry about what comes next. If there's a Wild Card or something that allows you to advance, that's great, but what matters most is beating the teams closest to you -- the ones you know best. It's clarifying for players and coaches and owners and it's deeply satisfying for fans. And remember: These things always come back around. The most fair concept in the world is time: Time always makes it all even out. The NFC West this year has been the best division in football this year, and the NFC South has been the worst. In other words, the exact opposite of 2008, when the Arizona Cardinals won the NFC West with a 9-7 record and were widely considered the worst NFL playoff team in recent memory. The NFC South was fiercely contested all season, with the Panthers at 12-4 barely edging out the Falcons at 11-5. The Falcons were forced to play at Arizona ... and promptly lost; the Cardinals then beat the Panthers too, in Carolina. Was it 'fair' that Arizona made the playoffs over an 11-5 Patriots team that season? Probably not. But it all evens out: Maybe the Cardinals pay the price this year, or the Seahawks do. When you focus on what is most immediately fair, you miss how the Earth tends to smooth all this out on its own."

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
Everyone is chiming about Beckham. But.......would he have had the same impact if Cruz had not been injured? He would not have been targeted as much or at certain times of the game. Yes, this is a case of making the most of your opportunities. And he is a good looking player......But one has to wonder, how different the road would be if.............

iced

Everyone is chiming about Beckham. But.......would he have had the same impact if Cruz had not been injured? He would not have been targeted as much or at certain times of the game. Yes, this is a case of making the most of your opportunities. And he is a good looking player......But one has to wonder, how different the road would be if.............

doubt it. They were raving about the kid all off season - and they couldn't wait to get him involved when he came back from his hammy injuries

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Somehow I doubt Gordo would be throwing flowers at Odell's feet when he was injured as much as he was.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Has everyone seen his kickoff one handed grab?

Pretty effing impressive.

fearsomefour

Legend
He has had a great season and is a very impressive player....but....so what?
Writers love to do this stuff. Every team will have a guy or two who are very good players that the Rams could have taken, signed or whatever. Beckham is a good player on a 5-9 team. I am looking forward to seeing how the Rams play him.

iced

Has everyone seen his kickoff one handed grab?

Pretty effing impressive.

right - kids got stud written all over him, wouldn't be surprised if he be comes the Giant's #1 threat for the next several years.

Kids not some gigantic monster or "measurable freak" - he simply gets open and makes plays... Can't wait for us to get a receiver like that again

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He's amazing all right. But if he only got 4-5 targets per game like Rams WR get, he'd look pretty pedestrian.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
How is Aaron Donald not a budding superstar? I could be wrong but it sure doesn't sound like Jeff Gordon has watched a Rams game.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
We didn't take the guys I wanted...but at this point, I'm very happy with our guys...especially Donald.

Silly to go back and play the what if game now...makes more sense to look ahead and see where you can get better moving forward.

Athos

Legend
Both will and should be perennial pro-bowlers (Donald and Odell).

I'm just glad we got and were thinking of taking 3 amazing players. We really couldn't have gone wrong picking Donald/Odell/Martin with our 2nd 1st round pick.

All 3 are studs.

But....just maybe.....with a superior QB, Studman can be our "poor man's" Beckham Jr.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
We didn't take the guys I wanted...but at this point, I'm very happy with our guys...especially Donald.

Silly to go back and play the what if game now...makes more sense to look ahead and see where you can get better moving forward.
So much this.

At some point, all of us wants a guy who the Rams end up not taking for whatever reason. At that point, you have to tell yourself "That guy's not a Ram and likely never will be. This guy is."

I'm very happy with who we got. In this case, I don't see how we are even discussing taking ANYONE instead of Donald. I can't believe that guy's a rookie.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
So much this.

At some point, all of us wants a guy who the Rams end up not taking for whatever reason. At that point, you have to tell yourself "That guy's not a Ram and likely never will be. This guy is."

I'm very happy with who we got. In this case, I don't see how we are even discussing taking ANYONE instead of Donald. I can't believe that guy's a rookie.
Exactly...every draft is going to have a guy that is a complete stud that the Rams missed out on in some capacity. And there will always be someone that swears they knew he was the guy to get.

I mean, in retrospect...how much different could the Rams have been the past 6 or 7 years if they had just draft Aaron Rodgers? Well, it didn't happen and a bunch of other teams passed him up...no sense in wondering because you could just as easily wonder how much different things would have been had they taken Danny Watkins instead of Robert Quinn.

SaneRamsFan

Rookie
I don't get the point. If you want to write a piece about Becham fine. But what do the Rams have to do with it? Why doesn't the headline say Donald shows giants what could have been?

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Exactly...every draft is going to have a guy that is a complete stud that the Rams missed out on in some capacity. And there will always be someone that swears they knew he was the guy to get.

I mean, in retrospect...how much different could the Rams have been the past 6 or 7 years if they had just draft Aaron Rodgers? Well, it didn't happen and a bunch of other teams passed him up...no sense in wondering because you could just as easily wonder how much different things would have been had they taken Danny Watkins instead of Robert Quinn.
Well, that's not really what I was saying. I'm saying with these guys we just took and we don't know how they're going to turn out yet, maybe we wanted these guys, but I choose to root for the ones who are actually Rams.

Plus, there was no way the Rams were going to take Rodgers with Bulger in the 2nd year of his new contract.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Well, that's not really what I was saying. I'm saying with these guys we just took and we don't know how they're going to turn out yet, maybe we wanted these guys, but I choose to root for the ones who are actually Rams.

Plus, there was no way the Rams were going to take Rodgers with Bulger in the 2nd year of his new contract.
100% agree. My point was only that looking back and saying what if isn't going to change what needs to be done now. And looking at our last draft, we got good quality players...so there isn't any reason to go all "aww shucks". Having Beckham rather than Donald I don't think propels the Rams to the postseason.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Donald is a rookie who is putting up the best DT numbers in the league and he didn't even start all season. Beckham has showed a lot of promise but he is not the best WR in the league. Whenever you find an absolute monster like Donald, there is no sense in reminiscing on if we should have taken another good player. If we took Beckham, they would be talking about how we missed out not taking Donald. WE GOT OUR MAN!

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
Donald is a rookie who is putting up the best DT numbers in the league and he didn't even start all season. Beckham has showed a lot of promise but he is not the best WR in the league. Whenever you find an absolute monster like Donald, there is no sense in reminiscing on if we should have taken another good player. If we took Beckham, they would be talking about how we missed out not taking Donald. WE GOT OUR MAN!
^This man gets it!

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Sort of a dickwad premise to the article's opening subject! He wasn't there at 13 so it's a moot point! AD is turning heads in his own way so I'm good! Besides, without Sam to throw the ball, Beckkham would look like Tavon has thus far! :sneaky: