Gordo's Tipsheet: Beckham shows Rams what could have been

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm happy with Donald... can't look back.

But, no matter how many targets, this kid has been impresive.

WvuIN02

Starter
You win SBs in the trenches.

And teams like the Steelers have proven you can draft top talent at a lower round. Martavius Bryant, Antonio Brown was what a 5th? Plus that kid would not have had 1/3 the season he had with the Giants......with the QB situation here (and the OC situation).

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I hate this kind of "journalism" I mean WTF you could do this with every player your team did not pick

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
Idiotic article. The Rams already had receivers the believed and to take Beckkham over Donald would not have been wise imho.

lockdnram21

Legend
I don't get this. It was already said no intentions on picking a receiver in first hell they didn't pick one whole draft. So that tells u what they thought about our receivers. I for 1 don't think we need a receiver. We need a Qb

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I don't get how Beckham could have been. This is like arguing that we somehow missed out on Clowney.

Is Gordon's complaint that we should have known that the Giants had Beckham targeted over Donald and traded up for him?

Is his complaint that we should have drafted him with the 2nd overall pick?

Or is his complaint that we should have lost another game to improve our draft position?

Perhaps he's just upset that he couldn't say I-to-duh-so about Johnny Manziel?

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Sort of a dickwad premise to the article's opening subject! He wasn't there at 13 so it's a moot point! AD is turning heads in his own way so I'm good! Besides, without Sam to throw the ball, Beckkham would look like Tavon has thus far! :sneaky:

I see what you did there

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I think finding someone of Donald's talent at DT is harder than finding a WR like Beckham.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Which is more difficult to obtain through the draft though? Especially lately in the last several years...
A stud WR or a stud DT?

Beckham is gonna be special but it seems like every year there's a couple WR's who turn out to be "hits."
IMO it's pretty difficult to get a DT who can disrupt things, make an impact and get sacks like Donald can.

jjab360

Legend
And? I'd still take Donald. Just as dynamic of a player at a position of more impact. And I doubt Beckham would have the stats he has with as little as we throw to our WRs anyway.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
This dumb ERMAGAWD WHAT IF WE GOT A RECEIVER THO will never stop until our offense stops dragging it's feet and gets together. Doesn't matter that a handful of guys are showing improving skill and stellar play and reasons outside of them have quelled it, until our offense does some things there'll always be look backs on what could have been, even if we picked Jesus.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
OBJ is having a great year...but honestly, who gives a fuck? We have a rookie DT that is within striking distance of 10 sacks while also being one of the most disruptive run defenders in football.

Yea, they got one hell of a WR. That's great. But we got ourselves one of the best DTs in football. Methinks it's the Giants who should be asking what could have been. Because I'm quite happy with what we have.

And frankly, I'm really not worried about the WR position. Would I take OBJ on this team? In a heartbeat. Would I trade Aaron Donald for him? Hell no.

But people love the flashy skill position players. They love the guys that put the ball in the end-zone. But those QBs? You better bet they remember the refrigerator sized man that runs like a linebacker that just flattened them to the turf.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Let you know how I feel about that after Sunday's game.

I think we'll still feel the same way. OBJ is playing amazing football right now but the WR position might be the most talented it's ever been and it doesn't appear to be slowing down if you look at CFB. While the DT position does not seem to be in the same sort of position. There are some amazing players but there isn't anywhere near the depth at that position.

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler
Sort of a dickwad premise to the article's opening subject! He wasn't there at 13 so it's a moot point! AD is turning heads in his own way so I'm good! Besides, without Sam to throw the ball, Beckkham would look like Tavon has thus far! :sneaky:

Consider the source -- Gordo somehow earns an income for this kind of insight.

VERY glad the Rams picked Aaron Donald!

Memphis Ram

Legend
While I rarely read them, the best stuff from Jeff Gordon's articles come from where he gets quotes from others.

Anyway your Aaron Donalds are more rare than your Odell Beckhams. That said, I'm glad both are doing well. Hopefully, it will remind some (including myself) that stud players can be had outside of the top 5 or so picks in the draft. ESPECIALLY at WR.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Beckham is a beast.
Donald is a beast.
Robinson is a beast.

The Rams came out with (arguably) the best OT and the best DL in the draft, and possibly two of the five best (well, best-performing as rookies) players in the 1st round (Donald, Beckham, Mack, Evans, Robinson? Yes, Mosley probably deserves to be in the discussion, as do Martin and maybe Ju'Wuan James).

Either way, I have ZERO regrets for the 2014 draft.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
In our offense he'd have an amazing game then disappear for five weeks.