Gordon: On-field concerns keep mounting for Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Gordon: On-field concerns keep mounting for Rams
• By Jeff Gordon

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colu...cle_8c685611-f0cc-5733-b294-564ed0de5a18.html

Los Angeles Rams fans got an up-close look at their coveted team during its brief interlude in Oxnard, Calif. They came in force, wearing colors and bearing signs.

Coach Jeff Fisher is an Oxnard guy, so he got to enjoy some home cooking during a family visit.

“I grew up here and went to school here and it’s a great area. I actually was here, I came back in 1991 with the Rams,” Fisher said. “They miss their pro team. It’s understandable. That’s why there’s so much talk about the potential of bringing a franchise out here.”

Those West Coast loyalists saw what St. Louis-area fans have seen the past two seasons. The Rams are loaded with explosive athletes on defense, but heavily populated with still-developing players on offense.

That lack of polish led to a rough exhibition opener, an ugly 18-3 loss to the Oakland Raiders. The Rams hit a couple of big plays right off the bat with new quarterback Nick Foles at the helm, then fizzled.

The over-the-top strike to Lance Kendricks reminded everybody how much big-play potential the Rams possess at tight end. Foles’ long arm combined with the play-action potential of the offense and the speed of Kendricks and Jared Cook could be the most dynamic aspect of this attack.

Tavon Austin turned a screen pass into a 35-yard burst, reminding fans that he has some of the quickest feet in the game. But otherwise his downfield route-running still offered much room for improvement.

The overriding Rams’ theme in Oakland was sloppiness. This is typical in exhibition openers with starters playing sparingly and many roster long shots seeing significant time after limited work time in camp.

On the other hand, excessive penalties have marred the Rams in their real games under Fisher. Yes, these were mostly scrubs screwing up.

But teams build precision day by day in practice. At some point it needs to show on the field.

Year after year this coaching staff vows to clean things up, and year after year this team gets flagged for self-destructive penalties.

Friday night’s penalty party was not an encouraging start, particularly on the heels of a sloppy intrasquad scrimmage at Lindenwood University. Fisher explained away some of the Friday’s flags, but they tend to follow his team like flies chasing a garbage truck.

Starting left guard Rodger Saffold suffered his regularly scheduled shoulder injury Friday, this time a minor tweak to his so-called “good” shoulder. That ushered Brandon Washington into the fray as a fill-in ... and he quickly got pyloned for a sack.

Rookies Rob Havenstein, the starting right tackle, and Jamon Brown, the No. 1 right guard, predictably were better as run blockers than as pass blockers. Given the team’s dearth of proven depth, the progress (or lack thereof) could be pivotal.

Keep a close watch on Havenstein. Like Greg Robinson last year, Havenstein is making the challenging adaptation from a run-oriented collegiate scheme to blocking on the island in the NFL.

He has three games to improve his pass blocking technique to prepare for the assault. And once the real games start, he will have to adjust to more aggressive defensive schemes designed to exploit his inexperience.

(The Rams’ decision to go with such a youthful offensive line is baffling. Sure, many of their pricey free agent linemen ultimately failed here, but going the other extreme in Year 4 of a rebuild made little sense.)

As usual, the Rams suffered a huge injury hit before the preseason schedule even started. Starting cornerback E.J. Gaines suffered a season-ending Lisfranc injury. Last season he was the team’s best cover cornerback as a sixth-round pick out of the University of Missouri.

Cornerback injuries are one of those things the Rams do really, really well. Last year Trumaine Johnson suffered a serious preseason knee injury that thrust Gaines into prominence.

Now Johnson is back and showing signs he is ready to replace Gaines as the starter opposite Janoris Jenkins. His performance in Oakland was encouraging. Brandon McGee also could bid for regular work, but he missed most of last season because of a nagging foot ailment that still is hobbling him.

Running back injuries also have been a familiar theme over the years. This season the Rams got a head start on the issue drafting a feature back, Todd Gurley, who is rehabilitating his surgically repaired knee. He may not get back to full speed until well into the season.

In the interim, incumbent running backs Tre Mason, Benny Cunningham, Isaiah Pead, Chase Reynolds, Trey Watts (who will serve a four-game suspension if he makes the team) and undrafted free agent Malcolm Brown are holding the fort.

As former Rams running back Zac Stacy would say, “Yikes!”

Cunningham, an undrafted free agent, has been the achiever in this group while Pead, a second-round pick in 2012, remains one of the major draft busts of the Les Snead era.

So, yes, the Rams have plenty of work to do during the next three exhibition games.

“I think we just made too many mistakes, penalties, maybe missed opportunities with reads, but that happens this time of year,” Foles told reporters in Oxnard. “You’re getting back on the field, you’re getting things going, game plan-wise you’re only out there for a couple of series.

“With the film, watching the film you see so many things that you come out here and correct. I thought the guys came out here today and we’ve improved. We still have a ways to go, but I see us moving in the right direction.”

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
Doom and gloom, just cuz Bernies gone doesn't mean someone else has to pick up the "the world is ending" mantra

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
Hard to argue most of his observations, but I would still prefer just a little less of the total Donny Downer writing style...

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Yeah, Gordon needs to get past his emotion about where the Rams will be playing and show some passion and objectivity. There is a lot to hope for with this team, but somehow after I read his article I feel like downing a bottle of pills or cuttin my damn wrists wtf.

"The Rams decision to go with a young OL is baffling..." WHAT? STFU Gordon. Would it be better to sign more old, over the hill dudes in their last contracts so they can play like a steaming pile of excrement and ride into the sunset? And don't tell me they should have signed the one high-end center on the market when the Raiders had a bazillion dollars of cap space and were hell bent to get him.

I really hope this team shuts all the naysaying, whining, pessimistic, crybaby Debbie Downers the F up with some wins. After all the losing we have endured I swear that stuff is starting to be the most painful part of the experience.

Greg Stone

Rookie
Granted, it was a joint practice but I notice that the ban on signs only applies to those asking the Rams not to move. Signs imploring the Rams to move are apparently OK.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Hard to argue most of his observations, but I would still prefer just a little less of the total Donny Downer writing style...

Gordon and Jim Thomas are hard to read because of it.

V3

Hall of Fame
"The Rams decision to go with a young OL is baffling..." WHAT?
This is actually the part I agree with most. You can't expect to play two rookies and a person who's hardly played at all and have the line perform where it needs to. You can get away with playing one of two but not three and then also relying on a second year player and a player that ALWAYS gets injured. Add in pretty bad depth and I'm scared to death about this line and Foles' future health.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Granted, it was a joint practice but I notice that the ban on signs only applies to those asking the Rams not to move. Signs imploring the Rams to move are apparently OK.
Really? At the joint practice in Oxnard, they removed pro-St Louis signs? I have been listening to hours of sports radio coverage and have read many stories for both scrimmage days, and this is the first that I have heard of this happening at the Dallas Practice facility. At the Rams practice, they did this, for whatever reason....Link?

Alan

Legend
LoyalRam wondering:
Really? At the joint practice in Oxnard, they removed pro-St Louis signs? I have been listening to hours of sports radio coverage and have read many stories for both scrimmage days, and this is the first that I have heard of this happening at the Dallas Practice facility. At the Rams practice, they did this, for whatever reason....Link?
I'm not sure there is a link or that this story is even true. All I've heard about it came from some of our members who went to the practices. I don't doubt their word but I'm not sure they're correct or that they have all the information needed to confirm that either. They could simply be mistaken. You would think something like that would be reported on by the writers at the PD or elsewhere. I've heard nothing. Doesn't mean they're wrong either but I'll wait until I hear official confirmation.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Like you said, it wasn't a Rams practice at a Rams facility.

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
upload_2015-8-19_8-33-26.jpeg

bskrilla

Starter

From what I've read the Ram's facility has not allowed signs in years. Apparently they don't have that rule at Oxnard.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler

So many great story lines Rams fans could be interested in instead, this is just lazy. It was pretty much just written because he has to write something to get his paycheck I guess.

Last edited:

nighttrain

Legend
Signs no matter what they say are not an issue with this team.

Just win baby, get them wins!

train

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Oftentimes Jeff Gordon's columns are virtually unreadable.

I wasn't crazy about them before the move rumors started, but now they should come with a damned warning label.

fearsomefour

Legend
(The Rams’ decision to go with such a youthful offensive line is baffling. Sure, many of their pricey free agent linemen ultimately failed here, but going the other extreme in Year 4 of a rebuild made little sense.)
It makes complete sense if the writer would put together that Fisher has not even sense a hot seat....because there is not one. He wants to win this year but is not under any direct pressure to do so. The roster has been build with a longterm view so far....the Oline rebuild is an extension of that....not too hard to figure out.

Ram65

Legend
I don't get condemning the young O Lineman before they even play a game. I do hope Fisher can get the penalties under control.

RamWoodie

Legend
Really, I'm not that concerned yet. I take the article with "a grain of salt"...seems to me it's just something to write about.

We MUST keep in mind the Rams have a new QB and a new OC. To me, that brings to mind a saying..."ROME WASN'T BUILT IN A DAY".

We have 3 more preseason games...all I want is progress each game.