Gordon: ‘Offense is coming,’ but weak line is real issue for Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Gordon: ‘Offense is coming,’ but weak line is real issue for Rams
• By Jeff Gordon

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colu...cle_b27e9663-e1a5-54ac-9a5e-1120f2e18a7e.html

Rams coach Jeff Fisher is pleased to welcome rookie running back Todd Gurley to team drills this week.

Gurley’s recovery from major knee surgery is continuing apace. He will become the focal point of the Rams offense sooner rather than later this season.

Fisher believes quarterback Nick Foles will bounce back from his messy performance Sunday night in the 27-14 loss at Tennessee. The return of receiver Brian Quick from last season’s shoulder injury should help that process.

“Our offense is coming,” Fisher promised at his Monday news conference. “It’s coming.”

But ...

If the Rams don’t start blocking people, the offense won’t arrive in time to prevent still another losing season. Gurley’s rapid recovery, Foles’ emotional resilience and Quick’s comeback won’t matter if their young starting linemen keep getting rag-dolled by their foes.

Their No. 1 offense went nowhere at Tennessee, just as it remained stalled at Oakland. The starters netted 37 yards and zero points against the Titans before taking cover on the sidelines.

The Rams trailed the Titans 20-0 at the half and didn’t generate explosive plays until the reserves (and roster long shots) moved onto the field.

The first-unit line kept quarterback Foles under duress during his brief stint. The starting group didn’t open up much for the running game, either, and it also failed to get out and block a screen pass correctly.

So what do we know about this group?

Left guard Rodger Saffold is the one proven performer on the line, but he has chronic shoulder problems. Since the bulk of his job involves banging shoulders with 300-pound opponents, this figures to be a season-long issue again this year.

Perhaps he will play this week against the Indianapolis Colts, perhaps not. Given Saffold’s extensive injury history, expect Fisher to handle him with care.

Left tackle Greg Robinson has road grader potential in the run game, but he is still learning how to pass block during his second professional season.

Rookie right guard Jamon Brown is earning raves for his quick adaptation to the pro game, but rookie right tackle Rob Havenstein is nowhere near ready to play out on the island against elite edge rushers. Like many rookie tackles, he could remain a work in progress during his first season.

Not much separates center candidates Barrett Jones, Tim Barnes and Demetrius Rhaney as they fight for two roster spots. “It’s going to be a good race,” Fisher said.

Close race, yes. Good race? We’ll have to see about that.

Jones, a fourth-round pick in 2013, didn’t get much contact work in the previous two summers while recovering from a foot injury, then a back injury. He did play in three games as a rookie and seven games last season, but this year he is finally benefiting from full offseason and preseason workloads.

He had to rebuild the strength he lost while recovering from his back injury. “I think Barrett is coming on, just with the playing time, because Barrett hasn’t played much in games,” Fisher said.

Barnes is the veteran of the group, having started four games back in 2013 and playing extensively on special teams the last three seasons. He re-upped with the Rams as a free agent after briefly flirting with the Kansas City Chiefs.

He started the first preseason game, then sat out the second with a sore lower leg. He will return to action against Indianapolis, although it remains to be seen if he will be with the first, second or third unit.

Rhaney is an intriguing athlete. With Barnes shelved, he got the start at Tennessee as Fisher reaffirmed his belief in him. Rhaney is coming back from a knee injury that wiped out his 2014 season, causing him to miss months of developmental time last year.

It is imperative he makes the most of his playing time this preseason. “Demetrius, I thought, played pretty well last night, so we’ll continue to evaluate the position,” Fisher noted.

Among the back-up offensive linemen, Brandon Washington and rookie Isaiah Battle have suffered the most obvious breakdowns and Garrett Reynolds has been the most impressive, in relative terms.

Rookie guard Cody Wichmann will begin making his case this week after coming off the physically unable to perform list. The sixth-round pick from Fresno State has been hobbled by a calf injury.

But he is a project, as is rookie tackle Andrew Donnal. Who knew a team could miss Joe Barksdale so much?

Upon further review, perhaps the Rams shouldn’t have let Barksdale walk — especially after his camp overplayed its hand and left big free agent money on the table.

Rams GM Les Snead has a solid track record of locating decent offensive line help as deeper teams start making cuts. Presumably he will do the same this season, although he won’t have much salary cap space to exploit if he locks a few more players into contract extensions.

To be safe, the Rams must make more of what they already have on the roster. Time is running short to improve for the real games.

“If you go back a year from now, or two years from now, or three years from now, you guys all asked me the same questions: ‘What’s up with your offense?’” Fisher said. “We keep it basic. Our philosophy is to just play and work on fundamentals during the preseason.”

Fair enough, but all that work on fundamentals hasn’t resulted in effective blocking from the No. 1 unit. Offensive line coach Bruce Boudreau must accomplish plenty between now and the opener Sept. 13 against Seattle.

You’ve seen what the Seahawks’ defense has done to experienced offensive lines. What might they do a bunch of kids still figuring it out?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Funny - I thought the run blocking was supposed to be our strong suit but it looked like our guys did fairly well in pass blocking last night. The screen attempt was a hot mess but I didn't see Foles on his back and honestly, it looked like he had more time to throw than I saw most of last season and during practically the entire Bradford era. I also think that if Benny hit a couple of those holes, there were yards there for the taking. Didn't look like Tre had much to run through though.

Add Quick in there and hopefully a healthy enough Saffold and some freaking timing on pass plays and we will chew up some yards. I will admit that I haven't liked much of what I've seen but I still think it is there and will show up before the Seattle game.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I'm hoping the problems are just a preseason thing and they'll work things out when everybody's playing and the starters get a whole 60 minutes. But dang, they look pretty bad out there. I'm wondering if it wasn't a mistake to extend Foles. I wouldn't mind seeing Keenum get some work with the first team just to see what he can do. But that will only happen if Foles gets hurt.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I'm thinking being home the last two pre-season games, and on our ' Faster Turf' will help a little!
I'm thinking things will look a lot better in front of the home Crowd!

Alan

Legend
"Rams GM Les Snead has a solid track record of locating decent offensive line help as deeper teams start making cuts."
Where is the evidence of that?

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
I'm thinking being home the last two pre-season games, and on our ' Faster urf' will help a little!
I'm thinking things will look a lot better in front
Agreed a little home cooking goes a long way and they can use a confidence boost.

wmc540

Pro Bowler
I'm hoping the problems are just a preseason thing and they'll work things out when everybody's playing and the starters get a whole 60 minutes. But dang, they look pretty bad out there. I'm wondering if it wasn't a mistake to extend Foles. I wouldn't mind seeing Keenum get some work with the first team just to see what he can do. But that will only happen if Foles gets hurt.

In the immortal words of Aaron Rodgers....RELAX. Foles is a winner and this is going to be a very good season.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
From what I know...... Gordon has the Barksdale saga event all wrong with the Rams Org. playing a major role in fault for this big loss :sick:@ ORT?:confused:

Give me a break:ROFLMAO:. I sure did not see any big issues with Havenstein right side most all the issues coming from center left side.o_O

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Has anyone kept track of Barksdale? Is he even doing good in SD?

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
Gordon is just trying to stir the pot. Everything he writes about the Rams has an ultra negative bent. IMO he has his own ant-Rams agenda so as a longtime Rams fan all of his opinions is are irrelevant to me and I just see him as just some local sportswriter with a hate tainted Rams perspective. I generally ignore/dismiss everything is see from him about the Rams. The only reason I am even responding to his anti-Rams drivel is because it is getting so tiresome.

The line has not gelled yet but all is not the doom and gloom. Havenstein has actually held up pretty well and Brown has looked really good. The LG spot will be better when Saffold returns (and he will), the center job will get settled, G-Rob and the rooks will continue to progress and things will look much better as the season progresses. In the long run I feel that this line will prove to be better than what we have seen in years past if everyone remains healthy.

Note: I would choose this Rams offensive line over Seattle and even many other teams lines (due to its potential) every day and twice on Sunday!

fearsomefour

Legend
Funny - I thought the run blocking was supposed to be our strong suit but it looked like our guys did fairly well in pass blocking last night. The screen attempt was a hot mess but I didn't see Foles on his back and honestly, it looked like he had more time to throw than I saw most of last season and during practically the entire Bradford era. I also think that if Benny hit a couple of those holes, there were yards there for the taking. Didn't look like Tre had much to run through though.

Add Quick in there and hopefully a healthy enough Saffold and some freaking timing on pass plays and we will chew up some yards. I will admit that I haven't liked much of what I've seen but I still think it is there and will show up before the Seattle game.
Pass blocking is much easier than run blocking, at least in principal. It takes a more skilled line to run block.
I have said all along not being predictable is going to be key. The line is bad right now. It can certainly get better in the next two weeks, but, first down passing is going to be key. Not huge plays but enough to set up situations where the team can either run or pass. If they try to revert to a true power game and are always in 3rd and 7....its going to be ugly. The O doesn't have to be great to start the year, but, they have to be good enough to shorten the game to have a chance. Against teams like Seattle, Pittsburgh and Green Bay going 3 and out over and over is a death blow no matter how good the D is. They need to posses the ball, change field position and at least kick field goals to have a shot. A 1-3 start dooms the season again more than likely.
As for Quick fixing Foles issues....that is like telling someone who has a horrible burger "well, wait for the fries!!" Good fries don't make a bad burger good.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Their No. 1 offense went nowhere at Tennessee, just as it remained stalled at Oakland. The starters netted 37 yards and zero points against the Titans before taking cover on the sidelines.
Gordon writes like he loves this...SOB....Hey, like 503 said up top, the additions of Brian Quick, Roger Saffold, and Todd "mutha effin" Gurely will really settle Foles down...I doubt the rotating centers plays a part in the struggles.....More, Foles indecisiveness with his 2nd & 3rd reads...Quick is our true #1...Stead should play more...Britt is a great #2...Cook & Kendricks are the fillers...I think they are hiding the seam throws...why, who the hell knows...I'd be practicing those...I'd be throwing more timing routes..like the ones Foles missed on Sunday...I'd play him more...like 2 quarters both games...Cutting Washington will help the offense.
Has anyone kept track of Barksdale? Is he even doing good in SD?
He starts at RT next to that monster from Bama..Fluker...Seems ok...and I don't miss him a bit...In fact, I wish they'd work Battle at RT some...Let Donnall & Battle work both tackle spots...Havenstein will do fine...He needs to play more too...all the way into the 3rd quarter...He should have had 9 quarters of work after this Indy game...What are they saving him for?

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Feels like a lot of articles are questioning Fisher's assurances that things will get better before the start of the season.

I'm also seeing a lot of remarks from members here (and on other boards) along the same lines.

I think Jeff Fisher has lost some credibility with a lot of poeple. His words don't seem to be taken as seriously as they were in his first years in STL.

He has truly entered the "Show Me State". ;)

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Feels like a lot of articles are questioning Fisher's assurances that things will get better before the start of the season.

I'm also seeing a lot of remarks from members here (and on other boards) along the same lines.

I think Jeff Fisher has lost some credibility with a lot of poeple. His words don't seem to be taken as seriously as they were in his first years in STL.

He has truly entered the "Show Me State". ;)

When a voice like Gordon starts to question things then many people just follow suit IMO. Here is the reality that Gordon ignores. The line is really no worse than it was last year and if anything it is better even with these rookies playing. Havenstien has been no worse than Barksdale and should get better. So why is he lamenting the loss of Joe? Fisher believes that Jamon Brown is a pro bow quality talent. Do you and Gordo want Davin Joseph back? Now I agree they screwed the pouch on the Center job. They had opportunity there and kept passing on it over the years despite having a declining vet man the post. Even signing Wisneiwski would have been an improvement over the state of things now. But having one spot being up in the air is a big improvement over last season. Garret Reynolds will fill in the holes, not Washington. It is just going to take time for these guys to gel.

ram007

Starter
I think we will be OK when regular season starts. But,

"Offense is coming" must the cheesiest comment of NFL 2015

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Pass blocking is much easier than run blocking, at least in principal. It takes a more skilled line to run block.
I have said all along not being predictable is going to be key. The line is bad right now. It can certainly get better in the next two weeks, but, first down passing is going to be key. Not huge plays but enough to set up situations where the team can either run or pass. If they try to revert to a true power game and are always in 3rd and 7....its going to be ugly. The O doesn't have to be great to start the year, but, they have to be good enough to shorten the game to have a chance. Against teams like Seattle, Pittsburgh and Green Bay going 3 and out over and over is a death blow no matter how good the D is. They need to posses the ball, change field position and at least kick field goals to have a shot. A 1-3 start dooms the season again more than likely.
As for Quick fixing Foles issues....that is like telling someone who has a horrible burger "well, wait for the fries!!" Good fries don't make a bad burger good.
Seems odd and contrary to everything I've always read and seen. I never played on the O-line but what I have always seen is that blocking forward is far easier for an O-lineman than standing up and controlling the defender. I can see pulling and such being a trick to learn but going against a defender that can see where his target is when you can't is always going to put you at a disadvantage. I've seen many interviews with O-linemen and almost to a man they prefer run blocking.

As to Quick fixing Foles, a tall QB with two tall WRs gives better options and Quick has IMO a better skill set than Britt. I'm not going to defend what I have seen in Foles but I am also not willing to call him a bad burger just yet. Britt DID make a sloppy cut that resulted in his defender getting inside position and Foles should have never thrown it inside. The two teamed up for a very bad play that should be learned from. Foles needs to identify that he should have gone over the top as it appeared he could have, while Britt needs to be more aggressive in his cuts to get proper position on a designed play. And yeah, staring down your receiver on a quick hitter is always bad form.

RamzFanz

Damnit
A 1-3 start dooms the season again more than likely.

Yes, a 1-3 is bad because then you go to Green Bay. A 2-2 would be about right in my mind then 2-3. The meat of this season is after game 5. Everyone settled in, rested from the bye, Gurley on the field, easier part of the schedule. My hope is that they roll into the last two games with nine wins and a vengeance.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
I'm getting pretty pissed off at this point that in year 4 that every other group is ready to go and this bullshit offensive line will potentially be their downfall. there's no excuses. Snisher did I great job literally building a team from scratch yet for the last couple years ignored the offensive line like it was going to fix itself all while forcing your often injured QB to play behind it . but instead of seriously addressing it they simply tried patching it over and over until it got completely torn apart. and now here we are with this...

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
"...comeback won’t matter if their young starting linemen keep getting rag-dolled by their foes." - Gordon.
A bit harsh. I don't think our O-Line has been getting "rag-dolled." We've missed some assignments, which can get corrected. Once we get Saffold back at LG we will stabilize.

"Left guard Rodger Saffold is the one proven performer on the line, but he has chronic shoulder problems... this figures to be a season-long issue again this year." - Gordon
Yeah, Rodger has had his injury issues, but I think he will miss very little this season. I'm betting on it, unlike Jeffy.

"Not much separates center candidates Barrett Jones, Tim Barnes and Demetrius Rhaney as they fight for two roster spots. “It’s going to be a good race,” Fisher said."
This is the area I'm most worried about. I haven't seen much, of any, separation between these guys. Center is crucial, no bones about it.

We all know the success of the offense rests with the O-Line. I hope is all starts coming together in the next couple weeks.

fearsomefour

Legend
Seems odd and contrary to everything I've always read and seen. I never played on the O-line but what I have always seen is that blocking forward is far easier for an O-lineman than standing up and controlling the defender. I can see pulling and such being a trick to learn but going against a defender that can see where his target is when you can't is always going to put you at a disadvantage. I've seen many interviews with O-linemen and almost to a man they prefer run blocking.

As to Quick fixing Foles, a tall QB with two tall WRs gives better options and Quick has IMO a better skill set than Britt. I'm not going to defend what I have seen in Foles but I am also not willing to call him a bad burger just yet. Britt DID make a sloppy cut that resulted in his defender getting inside position and Foles should have never thrown it inside. The two teamed up for a very bad play that should be learned from. Foles needs to identify that he should have gone over the top as it appeared he could have, while Britt needs to be more aggressive in his cuts to get proper position on a designed play. And yeah, staring down your receiver on a quick hitter is always bad form.
I don't think Foles is a bad burger either. The guy who wrote the article seemed to put the poor play on not having a specific receiver out there, which is silly to me.
O lineman generally prefer run blocking because it is physical.
Pulling, trapping, physically imposing their will on their opponent....I think this is why lineman generally prefer run blocking. Pass blocking is easier speaking in general terms of protecting a zone and protecting it for 3 seconds as opposed to having to defeat another guy.
That said we have seen how difficult pass blocking can be.