Good News! Bortles Declaring For Nfl Draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Alan

Legend
Well I have to stop for a minute and thank the many crazy owners who make the draft so interesting.

Thank you crazy rich guys! :woot::woot::woot:

Alan

Legend
flv with his own primer:
The addition of Bortles only hurts if there's more supply than demand.

I'm in my usual condition at this time of the evening so I didn't get all of that (my fault) but here is a sentence I picked out that with a small change I'd agree with.
Change: The addition of Bortles only hurts if there's more supply than demand.
To: The addition of Bortles only hurts if there's larger supply of quality QBs than the demand.

I think.
I'll check back again tomorrow to see if I completely blew it. :lol:

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Opposite. It pushes more talent down the board and imo, teams stand a better chance of trading up for Bortles than Carr.

Mariota is going back, that's a done deal.

Bortles only helps our chances. He allows one more guy to slip out of the top 10. And teams don't trade up because they're desperate for A QB. They trade up because they're desperate for THEIR QB.

If Mariota is 100% going back why did he ask for a draft grade? Could he be rethinking his decision since the Texans changed HC. Maybe to get them off Manziel.
A GM or coach feeling safe in their job will wait for THEIR QB. But if they are in fear of losing their jobs they will grasp at any QB straw hopping to save their jobs. They have nothing to lose.
But don't discount a few of the owners and how they can fall in love with QB's. They have the final say on who to draft and what deals to make.

Your correct with it pushing down non QB talent. Thats great. But it also makes it cheaper for a team in the 2nd half of the 1st rd to jump up and grab a player. Jsut as much as drafting a GM has to know who the teams right ahead of them and behind will draft

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If Mariota is 100% going back why did he ask for a draft grade? Could he be rethinking his decision since the Texans changed HC. Maybe to get them off Manziel.
A GM or coach feeling safe in their job will wait for THEIR QB. But if they are in fear of losing their jobs they will grasp at any QB straw hopping to save their jobs. They have nothing to lose.
But don't discount a few of the owners and how they can fall in love with QB's. They have the final say on who to draft and what deals to make.

Your correct with it pushing down non QB talent. Thats great. But it also makes it cheaper for a team in the 2nd half of the 1st rd to jump up and grab a player. Jsut as much as drafting a GM has to know who the teams right ahead of them and behind will draft

He asked before he decided to come back.

V3

Hall of Fame
Disagree. Unlike in the market where apples are the same and you have substitutes, NFL teams don't look at it that way. There being 5 great QB prospects doesn't really matter to the teams if Team A loves QB Prospect A and thinks Team B will draft him.

Economic theory does play a role in the draft but teams have much greater attachments to specific players than you're letting on. Because different players fit different schemes. So yea, if there were 5 elite QB prospects...it COULD hurt our ability to trade down in theory. But in practice, most likely, it would not. Because some team would fall in love with one of the prospects, convince themselves he's their franchise QB that will lead them to the promise land and then become paranoid that another team is going to take them.

NFL teams aren't always logical on draft day. For example, look at the Browns trading up 1 spot for Richardson a couple years ago when the Vikings tricked them into believing they were going to trade down with a team that wanted T-Rich.

I get what you're saying. I just don't think that applies to this draft due to the quality of the QB prospects. I had a big reply trying to explain it but it was getting more complicated than it's worth.

I hope a team falls in love with someone and trades with the Rams. I just don't see it. And if the Rams do trade down, I don't think it's going to be anywhere near the return of the last trade.

V3

Hall of Fame
The difference is that it is not truly supply and demand. There could be one really good QB in the draft and if the top ten teams need a DE and there are five of them, the demand is still for the DEs. Also, if there is a QB ranked as second best but the #2 or 3 fits a system better, that #1 QB may be passed up and GMs from the other teams know that. It's not a straight commodity issue. EVERY player possesses different attributes that EVERY GM and coach values differently. A top QB may dilute the QB class but he can drive interest toward the #2 pick (for example) if there was only one top QB before that. In that case, Bortles can make our pick a hugely sought out commodity because one thing is for sure. There is very limited supply of the 2nd overall pick.

By adding more QB's to the mix, you're increasing the odds that more than one will fit a team's system, and thus, decrease the Rams bargaining power.

fancents86

Starter
MOOOOOOAAAARRR!!!
I don't believe it. A Blake Bortles thread without a picture of his girlfriend?

duke1.jpg

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I get what you're saying. I just don't think that applies to this draft due to the quality of the QB prospects. I had a big reply trying to explain it but it was getting more complicated than it's worth.

I hope a team falls in love with someone and trades with the Rams. I just don't see it. And if the Rams do trade down, I don't think it's going to be anywhere near the return of the last trade.

I think the Rams trade down with a team that wants Clowney. IMO, it's not that there are too many quality prospects...I don't think there's an elite on beside Bridgewater. I see Bortles as a top 10 pick. The other two(Manziel and Carr), I'd take somewhere in the 1st if I had a great offensive mind that could coach them up but not in the top 10. I think they need time on the sidelines before they'll be ready.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

I run into that problem often..... but I post it anyway.:heh:

And yeah - I'd agree with your second section. But who knows. One can hope.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
By adding more QB's to the mix, you're increasing the odds that more than one will fit a team's system, and thus, decrease the Rams bargaining power.
I'd agree but we're only talking about possibly two QBs working their way up into the very top of the draft. Then there's our #13 pick which could also be affected.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
From about 3 weeks ago.
Yeah - I actually remember hearing he was doing that. I think everyone realistically knew he wasn't going in the top five before that anyway.

V3

Hall of Fame
I'd agree but we're only talking about possibly two QBs working their way up into the very top of the draft. Then there's our #13 pick which could also be affected.

Well, the positive side is that any QB's that do get taken at the top just make our pick at 13 that much better. :woot: As for the QB's, I see about four QB's that could go near the top. It all depends on stuff like the combine, workouts, demand, etc. Bridgewater, Manziel, Bortles, and Carr could all go near the top if they perform well.

Alan

Legend
flv with this:
I can take the primer out if you wish. There are more teams chasing quality QBs than there are quality QBs. I was dotting the is and crossing the ts.
What I meant by primer is this: A book that covers the basic elements of a subject. :D

I agree with what you just said. Thank Bhudda eh? :bigup:

TexasRam

Legend
Definitely one of the hottest prospects ive scouted in a few years.

I would draft her.