Good News! Bortles Declaring For Nfl Draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/...-draft-blake-bortles-reportedly-headed-to-nfl

Blake Bortles is the latest underclassman seeking to cash in on a stellar bowl game performance in front of a national audience, as the Central Florida quarterback will forego his senior season and enter the 2014 NFL Draft, CBSSports.com's Jeremy Fowler reported Sunday.

Bortles is the No. 12-rated prospect for this year's draft at the No. 3 quarterback behind Louisville junior Teddy Bridgewater and Texas A&M redshirt sophomore Johnny Manziel,according to NFLDraftScout.com ratings. However, Bortles is also a raw athlete with a small sample size playing against top-level competition.

The 6-foot-3, 227-ound Bortles is No. 22 on Rob Rang's current Big Board.

"A prototypically built pocket passer with good awareness, athleticism and arm strength, Bortles looks the part of an NFL starting quarterback," Rang wrote. "He is methodical in his setup and delivery of the ball and is a bit inconsistent with his accuracy, but the mettle he showed in guiding UCF to several comeback victories in 2013 has scouts buzzing. Bortles isn't as polished as Bridgewater, (Derek) Carr or Manziel, but should he enter the 2014 draft a top-10 selection is not out of the question."

Rang certainly sees Bortles' upside and the likelihood NFL teams will fall in love with his skill set - projecting him to go No. 3 overall to the Jacksonville Jaguars, who would make a marketing smash with the local product, in his current Mock Draft. Dane Brugler has Bortles going one pick later to the Cleveland Browns.

The news of Bortles making the NFL jump along with Oregon running back De'Anthony Thomas on Sunday night brings the list of underclassmen expected to enter this year's draft to 61. The deadline for underclassmen to declare is Jan. 15, and the final list is expected to shatter last year's record of 73. A quartet of junior wide receivers, Clemson's Sammy Watkins and Martavis Bryant and LSU's Odell Beckham and Jarvis Landry, were also reported Sunday to have decided to forego their senior seasons.

Bortles led the Knights to an 11-1 record during the regular season, but largely flew under the radar until leading a dramatic 52-42 victory over heavily-favored Baylor in the Fiesta Bowl, displaying a strong arm and surprising athleticism as a dual-threat quarterback.

Bortles threw for 3,582 yards and 25 touchdowns against nine interceptions this season while completing 67.8 percent of his passes.

Bortles is making a calculated gamble by seeking to make the leap to the NFL while his stock may be at its highest. Bridgewater (No. 3-ranked prospect overall) has announced he will enter the draft as a junior, and Manziel (No. 8) is expected to join him shortly. However, redshirt sophomores Marcus Mariota of Oregon and UCLA's Brett Hundley have decided to return to school.

Bortles could potentially wind up in the top 10 with a strong showing leading up to May's draft, rather than returning to school and entering a draft class next year that could feature Mariota, Hundley and Stanford's Kevin Hogan, among others.

Among Bortles' strengths are his excellent size, good arm strength and underrated athleticism that makes him a threat as a ballcarrier as well. While he needs to grow in terms pocket awareness and route progression, his biggest current weakness is inconsistent accuracy. Even in UCF's bowl game, Bortles threw several passes that forced his receivers to adjust, missing out on yards after the catch, or missed them entirely.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is good...the report...not so much. Just as inaccurate as they claim Bortles is.(to be fair, that was probably their most accurate evaluation of his game)

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
This is good...the report...not so much. Just as inaccurate as they claim Bortles is.(to be fair, that was probably their most accurate evaluation of his game)

People are all over the place on Bortles. He's anywhere from a poor mans Andrew Luck to a weak armed inaccurate back up.

All I want to know is how many QBs get picked in the top 12. I hope it's 4. Just keep pushing the talent down to us at 13.

Alan

Legend
I'm not so sure this is good for the Rams. Now there's a good (in some people's minds) option lower in the first. The fewer quality QBs in the draft the better for us I would think.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm not so sure this is good for the Rams. Now there's a good (in some people's minds) option lower in the first. The fewer quality QBs in the draft the better for us I would think.

Maybe. But maybe Jax wants him at #3.

Alan

Legend
max posing another scenario:
Maybe. But maybe Jax wants him at #3.
I'd be surprised if anyone thought that highly of him but I guess if they're desperate enough that could be an option.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
There's always 1 hot prospect that rockets to the top of draft boards every year and he might be it. And for the Rams this might devalue the 2nd pick a little. If it was just Bridgewater and Carr the Rams might have had more leverage in a trade down. More to the point, with Mariota asking for a evaluation from the draft board after he said he would stay in school the trade market is getting muddied.
But one coach or better yet a owner, fall in love with one of these guys then boom, a treasure chest of picks for the rams . And better yet giving ROD members more stuff to debate.

SC-Ram78

Rookie
If he is still on the board at 13 then maybe the rams will get some calls from other teams that want to get back in the first round and give us a 2nd this year and maybe a 1st and 2nd in next years draft

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
I don't believe it. A Blake Bortles thread without a picture of his girlfriend?

duke1.jpg

Alan

Legend
I'm willing to trade up for her.

As long as it's OK with my wife. :optimist:

ausmurp

Starter
If he is still on the board at 13 then maybe the rams will get some calls from other teams that want to get back in the first round and give us a 2nd this year and maybe a 1st and 2nd in next years draft

Or maybe we draft him ;)

ausmurp

Starter
Bortles reminds me of Ben Roethlisberger.

This, but with Luck's athleticism. I'm excited about Bortles, I think he will be good. He'll def impress with arm strength and 40 time at combine which will probably move him up on draft boards.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Whenever I hear or read "methodical in his set up and delivery" I no likey. His girlfriend on the other hand...:wow:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
This is good news for the Rams.

One more trade eligible player.

One more player slipping down to 13.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
The more underclassmen that enter the draft helps us especially if we trade our pics. It doesn't even really matter where they are slotted. With two #1s and the 10th in the 2nd, we have some serious trade bait. Of course I like the fact that they are talking about another highly rated QB that could command real good compensation. By the time all is said and done, I think this kid could be viewed as a legit 2nd overall by a QB needy team.

I'm also going to guess that Houston trades to a team that wants Clowney with the idea that they can get a QB later than #1.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I'm also going to guess that Houston trades to a team that wants Clowney with the idea that they can get a QB later than #1.

That would be AWESOME! The phone would ring off the hook for Bridgewater at #2!

V3

Hall of Fame
This is good news for the Rams.

One more trade eligible player.

One more player slipping down to 13.

I'm not sure I see how this is a good thing. Trades at the top of the draft operate similarly to basic economics; Supply vs. Demand. There is some demand for the QB's but if the supply gets over saturated, it'll kill the market. If there are too many QB's that could go at the top, we won't be trading down. Teams will just tell the Rams it's okay if they can't get player X, they'll just get player Y or Z instead and not have to give up as much in draft picks, if any.

It all depends on where all the QB's get rated, though. If Bortles isn't expected to go at the top come draft day, it won't have much effect, if any.