Gonzalez: Rams' new staff has a tough task at WR

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
I disagree. Thomas isn't the first WR to struggle with drops as a rookie. He won't be the last. He's already showed that he can separate at the NFL level. He's shown that he has the speed to get vertical. That will earn him some points and give him a shot to prove that he can catch the ball. Fans are too reactionary. Some of y'all would have been calling for Isaac Bruce's head after his rookie year.

Thomas was a rookie. Rookies make mental mistakes. That's simply something people need to accept.

This. As a ST holder I was able to focus on Thomas as a gunner on ST. He's already better at releases and getting downfield than Stedman was. Bailey was a very strong tackler, Thomas just ok. I agree with Jrry 100% on Thomas, give him time and he'll develop into a contributor. He plays faster than he was timed. He was running away from most people that were assigned to him on ST. He's also bigger than everyone besides Britt and Quick, he's not small.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Thomas a long with the other rookies will all have a fair shot to make this team and as far as I am concerned are all even at this point. There isn't a guarantee that he will make the team. That's just reality.

When you look at his special teams value, I don't see him getting cut.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
When you look at his special teams value, I don't see him getting cut.

From that aspect you might be right; therefore Marquez will be cut. Overall though there is a lot that these "rookies" that have to prove themselves to continue playing on this organization. The evaluations on who is staying and going is probably happening as I type, but no doubt there will be competition on who is going to be ST or WR as I type. No argument or disagreements, but everyone's going to have their fair shake this time around...

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
If Britt extends, I would count him as one of the three new faces.

Britt is GONE. The hallmark of a Gruden offense is absolutely exact routes, to the yard, being where they need to be and catching the damn ball. Guys like Britt do not fit what McVay is looking for. There is absolutely no way he returns. Quick same deal man. The dude still cannot run an exact route, and it's gonna be the first thing this staff notes on film. He's gone. He'll get another shot somewhere and if he doesn't pick it up quickly he'll be out of the league in a year.

Holdovers will be Tavon (Z), Coop (Y), and Thomas (ST Gunner). They are certain. Rams will add a big FA (X) at the position, maybe a second one too. If they draft one that's all she wrote for the rest of the guys, but I suspect the draft will be heavy on defense and center through rounds 2-4 so who knows. Guys like Spruce will have to make it count to stick around.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
Call me stupid, crazy, naive, or whatever, but I still think Thomas is gonna be a long time starter in this league. As others have already mentioned, hes basically a lock with his play on ST, and he showed he can get separation needed in this league. Sure his hands were decent at best, but fixing/improving hands are probably the easiest thing for a wr to do so Im not really worried there quite yet.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Call me stupid, crazy, naive, or whatever, but I still think Thomas is gonna be a long time starter in this league. As others have already mentioned, hes basically a lock with his play on ST, and he showed he can get separation needed in this league. Sure his hands were decent at best, but fixing/improving hands are probably the easiest thing for a wr to do so Im not really worried there quite yet.

Can Thomas' "hands" problems be fixed, Picked?

It's certainly an open question.

But, if he can overcome those drops, then I agree that he can play in this league. Maybe even be a force requiring special attention.

I'm pulling for him, but he's gotta win me over PDQ.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
Can Thomas' "hands" problems be fixed, Picked?

It's certainly an open question.

But, if he can overcome those drops, then I agree that he can play in this league. Maybe even be a force requiring special attention.

I'm pulling for him, but he's gotta win me over PDQ.

while his drop problem goes back to college (and likely HS), he also had a lot of tough, in-traffic catches in college so Id like to think he has the potential and it might have been more of a mental issue last year being a rookie and all. only time will tell

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Well well....and no mention of Quick...? What's going on here. LOLOL
I agree with some on Mike Thomas...Again, you can't just teach the stuff he does well. I also like North from Tennessee.
I'll hit you up when we get started on the
pre-season.Sounds like there may a bet
there somewhere
If there is ROD$$$$ bet, I want IN!!!!! LOLOLOL

Just looking at him (Mike Thomas)....He should have gotten more starts/targets/time last year.