Gonzalez: Rams' new staff has a tough task at WR

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Rams' new staff has a tough task at WR

Alden Gonzalez

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. -- The Los Angeles Rams have a wide receiver problem. They've had one for nearly a decade. They've had one, perhaps, since Torry Holt's 1,189-yard season in 2007. For the next eight years, the Rams didn't have a single player who caught for 800 yards, let alone 1,000. The streak finally ended with Kenny Britt, who notched a career-high 1,002 receiving yards -- despite hauling in only 61.8 percent of his targets -- in 2016.

Britt is headed for free agency now, as is Brian Quick, the former No. 33 overall pick who hasn't quite panned out. And it's up to a new staff, led by the offensive-minded Sean McVay, to ameliorate the Rams' longtime problem area, both with the scheme and through free agency.

The only established receiver locked in for 2017 is Tavon Austin, who was given a four-year, $42 million extension weeks before the 2016 season. Behind him are Bradley Marquez, who has made most of his contributions on special teams, and five players coming off rookie seasons in which they barely played: Pharoh Cooper, Paul McRoberts, Marquez North, Nelson Spruce and Mike Thomas. But the Rams are expected to have about $40 million in salary-cap space, and several intriguing options will exist in free agency.

McVay seeks "guys that handle the ball in general."

"You can't have enough playmakers," McVay said. "Certainly, that's something that we're always looking to upgrade. That receiver position is very important. A lot of yards and offensive production goes through that room. We want to try to find a way to get the best players on the field."

Alshon Jeffery, DeSean Jackson, Pierre Garcon, Terrelle Pryor, Kenny Stills and Robert Woods are in line to be among the best receivers available, along with Britt.

But the most important work for the Rams could come in-house, in getting more out of the quick, elusive, 5-foot-8 Austin.

The Rams drafted Austin eighth overall in 2013 after a highly successful run at West Virginia, but he has totaled only 2,610 yards from scrimmage over the past four seasons, a mark topped by 85 players. Some of that might be on Austin, but the offense he's been a part of also shoulders plenty of blame. And the new staff is hopeful of tapping into more of his dynamic skill set, as a receiver, a punt returner and, occasionally, a running back.

McVay identified Austin as "a guy that you want to move all over the formation."

The Rams did that last season, but they probably didn't give him enough carries. Austin had a career year in 2015, with 473 yards through the air and another 434 on the ground. He caught for a career-high 509 yards in 2016, but he rushed for only 159 yards, his carries dropping from 52 to 28. Zac Taylor, the new assistant receivers coach who will work under Eric Yarber, called Austin an "explosive, dynamic receiver and tough runner."

"Any time you have a guy with that skill set, it's fun to look at what you can do creatively, utilize him in an offense," Taylor said. "I'm excited to work with him."

The Rams have a similar player in Cooper, a fourth-round pick out of South Carolina who can be very versatile and a real threat after the catch. Spruce, a heralded undrafted free agent who was never able to play last season, could become a solid possession receiver. And Thomas, a sixth-round pick, might eventually stretch the field vertically if he develops properly.

But they all have some growing to do.

“Watching footage on some of these guys, you have a wide variety of receivers," said Yarber, who spent the past five seasons coaching receivers at UCLA. "You’ve got guys that can play the slot, that can be option runners. You’ve got guys that can take the top off; you’ve got guys with size. I’m excited about working with this group and taking them to the next level.”

[www.espn.com]

jap

Legend
Wouldn't it be great to have had a fully healthy Stedman Bailey about now?

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception

Would of been great, as much as I would like Sted to play he may not, but who am I to say he can't??? Cooper, McRoberts, TA, Spruce, and possibly a vet WR with size and finesse from FA. We will be gold...

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Gonna just say it again.

I foresee 3 new faces in the Ram WR room come September.

If Britt extends, I would count him as one of the three new faces.

Gonna be some combo of FA and draft picks, but I do expect three new faces.

We're stuck with Tavon for another year.

Sooooo...

Spruce
Cooper
Thomas
Marquez
Northrup
And everybody else are gonna be fighting for the 2 remaining slots.

May the best players show their stuff both early and often, because the numbers are gonna be utterly unforgiving.

My take is that these new coaches are gonna be very demanding of results. Every mistake will be magnified. The country club culture is OVER.

And it's about time, tbh.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Cooper, a fourth-round pick out of South Carolina who can be very versatile and a real threat after the catch. Spruce, a heralded undrafted free agent who was never able to play last season, could become a solid possession receiver. And Thomas, a sixth-round pick, might eventually stretch the field vertically if he develops properly.
I'm really curious to see what these ^ Players can do with some good coaching! I don't think they where given enough opportunity last year! JMO!

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack

No? I know he's a fan favourite and went through some shit, but he's average as average gets. He had fantastic hands no doubt. But his single best season was 435 yards and 1 TD. To just assume suddenly he would light the world on fire, is silly. Sted doesn't offer much more then we've already been getting.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
But his single best season was 435 yards and 1 TD.

Based off this. I can say with confidence if life doesn't give you lemons how can you make lemonade? Do you think he was given enough opportunities to show he could've done more than what he was given? Obviously not.. We haven't had a solid QB yet who could dissect the field make plays or had competant coaches who could devise plays that actually made progress passed the sticks. With this coaching staff we should see what we've had and then we could say it was indeed poor coaching and put the mediocrity to rest once and for all. This doesn't just go for Sted, but everyone who had to put up with the mediocrity regime.

Last edited:

jap

Legend
No? I know he's a fan favourite and went through some crap, but he's average as average gets. He had fantastic hands no doubt. But his single best season was 435 yards and 1 TD. To just assume suddenly he would light the world on fire, is silly. Sted doesn't offer much more then we've already been getting.

He has also had less than average (accuracy-wise) QB's tossing him the rock. An accurate QB like Jared would find Sted open a lot. The QB's Sted work with here (sans Sam) could not hit Sted with the slight separation he enjoyed.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No? I know he's a fan favourite and went through some crap, but he's average as average gets. He had fantastic hands no doubt. But his single best season was 435 yards and 1 TD. To just assume suddenly he would light the world on fire, is silly. Sted doesn't offer much more then we've already been getting.

Stedman had plenty of potential. Most sub-6'0" WRs take a few years before they are ready to really contribute (see Derrick Mason and Golden Taint). His career ended before we got an opportunity to see the extent of what he offered. He was incredibly productive in college and had the skill-set to be a quality WR here.

But history is history.

Zero

Pro Bowler
Stedman had plenty of potential. Most sub-6'0" WRs take a few years before they are ready to really contribute (see Derrick Mason and Golden Taint). His career ended before we got an opportunity to see the extent of what he offered. He was incredibly productive in college and had the skill-set to be a quality WR here.

But history is history.
Really felt he could be a solid receiver.He was never given the opportunity I thought
he deserved.I think he would have done really well under McVay.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
I wouldn't mind seeing Sted given an opportunity to compete for a job. I just am not sure whether he'll get an opportunity again. He is trying to go through a series of doctor visits to achieve a physical that would compel the NFL to let him compete again.

He works very hard, he wants it bad.

Zero

Pro Bowler
Gonna just say it again.

I foresee 3 new faces in the Ram WR room come September.

If Britt extends, I would count him as one of the three new faces.

Gonna be some combo of FA and draft picks, but I do expect three new faces.

We're stuck with Tavon for another year.

Sooooo...

Spruce
Cooper
Thomas
Marquez
Northrup
And everybody else are gonna be fighting for the 2 remaining slots.

May the best players show their stuff both early and often, because the numbers are gonna be utterly unforgiving.

My take is that these new coaches are gonna be very demanding of results. Every mistake will be magnified. The country club culture is OVER.

And it's about time, tbh.
I'm going on record in saying that Thomas will not be one of those three new faces.
I know some have high hopes for him,but I don't see it happening.
I will HAPPILY eat crow if I am wrong.

Cooper on the other hand will have a breakout type of year.
The man is a play waiting to happen and will get some opportunities this year.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm going on record in saying that Thomas will not be one of those three new faces.
I know some have high hopes for him,but I don't see it happening.
I will HAPPILY eat crow if I am wrong.

Cooper on the other hand will have a breakout type of year.
The man is a play waiting to happen and will get some opportunities this year.

I bet Thomas makes this team. Special teams alone will get him on the team.

Zero

Pro Bowler
I bet Thomas makes this team. Special teams alone will get him on the team.
If he does it will be for special teams only.
I'll hit you up when we get started on the
pre-season.Sounds like there may a bet
there somewhere.(y)
I knew you would come calling.Talking about Thomas
is like sending out the "Jrry symbol" across Gotham.lol

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If he does it will be for special teams only.
I'll hit you up when we get started on the
pre-season.Sounds like there may a bet
there somewhere.(y)
I knew you would come calling.Talking about Thomas
is like sending out the "Jrry symbol" across Gotham.lol

I disagree. Thomas isn't the first WR to struggle with drops as a rookie. He won't be the last. He's already showed that he can separate at the NFL level. He's shown that he has the speed to get vertical. That will earn him some points and give him a shot to prove that he can catch the ball. Fans are too reactionary. Some of y'all would have been calling for Isaac Bruce's head after his rookie year.

Thomas was a rookie. Rookies make mental mistakes. That's simply something people need to accept.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Thomas was a rookie. Rookies make mental mistakes. That's simply something people need to accept.

Thomas a long with the other rookies will all have a fair shot to make this team and as far as I am concerned are all even at this point. There isn't a guarantee that he will make the team. That's just reality.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
Marquez North could be the surprise of this group if he is fully recovered from his injury. I watched him play a lot of ball at UT and he was very good.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Marquez North could be the surprise of this group if he is fully recovered from his injury. I watched him play a lot of ball at UT and he was very good.

I would like to see this rookie group duke it out and prove they belong. It will be competitive but ofcourse on the same token let them all get a fair shake.