Gonzalez: Goff Threw to Ross & Smith-Schuster in Workout

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Alden Gonzalez
ESPN Staff Writer

[www.espn.com]

Rams GM Les Snead recently set up a workout with Jared Goff and a couple of draft-eligible receivers, Washington's John Ross, who just ran a record 4.22 40, and USC's JuJu Smith-Schuster. Smith-Schuster on Friday, per ESPN's Michael DiRocco: "I thought Jared Goff was an outstanding quarterback. Just did one-on-one; the way he approaches the game, and how we were just talking 'ball and life off the field. My meeting with them (the Rams) was great."
Repl

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ross will be long gone in more ways than one running a 4.22, however, I'm warming up to JuJu although I chuckle because my parents neighbor's daughter is Juliet and they call her JuJu, but she is a hell of a golfer.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I can't imagine we'd go wr in the 2nd round.

Depends on Free Agency, if the Rams sign another Corner, they will go WR in round two IMHO or OLB. The draft has depth at CB and less at WR, so we will have to see, but I get this feeling that JuJu is destined for LaLa Land.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
Ross is a pipe dream at this point. Juju and Garçon could be a heck of a combo though.

jap

Legend
They tested Jared with Ross to see how he would fare throwing to a receiver with blazing wheels. JuJu is the classic big possession receiver. We'll be moving the rock via Air McVay this upcoming season for sure, with ground deliveries provided by Todd and his OL.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
Also, I wouldn't mind if the combine that both Ross and Juju had pushed Corey Davis into the second round. If that's the case I'm trading up to 33 and taking him

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

Yeah I mean anything's possible if the Rams get a strong feel for a guy and Juju might be that guy. But I agree. We know CB should be strong, so should DE and both will be needs for us.

RB might be the best of them all if teams shy away from the position in round 1 knowing the depth in this draft plus the general devaluing of the position, but no way the Rams go with that position they'd move out if they're looking at insane value at RB.

TE of course looks good and deep too. I would think TE would probably have better value than WR in round 2, however with TE they know they can get it later too. So hard to say how they strategize it.

I do like hearing that they're having Goff throw to prospects in this draft though. It's a good call to do that.

jap

Legend
Not sure what we have that would get us into the top 25 in the first round without sacrificing the rest of our draft.

We can sacrifice prime time players who may not fit our coaches' designs well (e.g., Mark Barron).

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
We can sacrifice prime time players who may not fit our coaches' designs well (e.g., Mark Barron).

While that's true we would still have to give up picks and while Barron might not fit, he may be the best we have/land. With the amount of players we need, every pick counts. I wouldn't mind trading up into the first, but it has to be worth while.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
They tested Jared with Ross to see how he would fare throwing to a receiver with blazing wheels. JuJu is the classic big possession receiver. We'll be moving the rock via Air McVay this upcoming season for sure, with ground deliveries provided by Todd and his OL.

I think we'll get back to seeing some heavy ground deliveries from Tavon as well. Honestly imagine if Tavon was 2 or 3 inches taller and had 30 more pounds on him. He'd probably be one of the best running backs we've seen in a long time. He is pretty effective in between the tackles for a guy of his size, of course he couldn't hold up as a bell cow. But I bet we see him being used there more than this past year with Boras.

jap

Legend
I think we'll get back to seeing some heavy ground deliveries from Tavon as well. Honestly imagine if Tavon was 2 or 3 inches taller and had 30 more pounds on him. He'd probably be one of the best running backs we've seen in a long time. He is pretty effective in between the tackles for a guy of his size, of course he couldn't hold up as a bell cow. But I bet we see him being used there more than this past year with Boras.

Hey!, we wear the opposing D down with the Gurley Express!, then force the tired suckers to chase the lightning bug, Tavon. Works for me!!!

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I don't know man. Guys are always saying he wouldn't hold up. But the dude is tough as nails and is a built 180 pounds. He's not as fragile as Desean Jackson who's around the same weight. I think he would be a better RB then he is a WR in this league. Easily a 1200 yard rusher every year if given the chance.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

What? Why not? McVay is here to fix the offense, and Zay Jones, Chris Godwin Or JuJu would be worthy of being taken with the Rams second round pick. So would a guy like Evan Ingram, who could be a great weapon for McVay's offense. I think there is a very good chance that a pass catcher is the pick, especially with Tru being franchised. They could target a corner in rounds 3-4 and get a decent player.

Depends on Free Agency, if the Rams sign another Corner, they will go WR in round two IMHO or OLB. The draft has depth at CB and less at WR, so we will have to see, but I get this feeling that JuJu is destined for LaLa Land.

Denver did good with guys like Trevathan at LBer. He was a 5th rounder I think. Sure it would be nice to have Willis/ Bowman caliber back there but the defense isn't in that bad a shape as it is. An edge rusher is a need but if they brought in a guy like Ware, it is suddenly not so glaring.

Forrest looked very athletic and possibly play the OLB spot. Littleton was Rams ROY. They may be willing to work with what they have.

I think by round 2, the grouping of players they have rated for that pick will be big enough that they can prioritise offense, and the value will definitely match. And I don't think there is any reason for the Rams to trade into round 1 this year. It seems that there will be several good players left for round 2.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
The key isn't getting a CB in FA because the draft is gonna have those with value later.

The key is if they get a FA OL. I dunno how Kromer is gonna teach GRob differently, but we saw him be much better at the beginning of the year after his work with LeCharles Bentley and then he got worse over time. That points to coaching to me. When a player looks lost, it's on him. When several players look lost, it's the coaching. And that O was just historically bad. I really think something was going on with how Boras was setting up that blocking scheme that just wasn't getting through. I dunno if it was overly complicated or just plain bad. Either way, Kromer will have his hands full.

I am still under the impression that replacing GRob at LT won't be the play. When GRob played next to the other vet, not Saffold, he actually did well. And remember, GRob only had 18 games in college iirc. He's basically 3 years behind someone like Havenstein who once he's healthy is a SOLID RT. People forget he was dinged pretty badly and it's tough to be on the edge with a busted wheel.

But, if they get a FA OL, likely a vet guard who can also play C, then I think there's a real chance they'll just go value at the 2nd round.

I think this FA period is crucial. If they really knock it out, they may be able to trade up into the early part of the 2nd round if someone exceptional drops out of the 1st. I know we need players and I'd prefer they didn't, but they'll have the flex to go up or down and that's a good place to be.

The question is how this FA period is gonna go.

Ideally, I'd like to see them get a pretty studly LG (because the synergy with GRob makes for a solid left side), and hopefully get Garcon and Josh Gordon (I'm still gonna be seeing that he's a risk/reward guy, which means he has to know he's going to have to sign a 1 year CHEAP prove it deal and I'm fine with that). There may even be additional money to sign either a vet Rush LB to spell Quinn, a FS like Byrd, or maybe a CB, though it's unlikely one shakes loose.

That leaves Snead and McVay to take the best value which, honestly might be a TE if not a WR. The TE class is DEEP this year and getting one early might be a great investment. Also don't be surprised if they Rams go Rush OLB/DE in the 2nd if a guy they really loves drops. Not a ton of teams run the 3-4 so some of these ideal 3-4 Rush OLBs...the Von Miller types...get passed by. Word from my good friend who's the Denver fan and has been keeping me up on the Combine is that there's a couple of OOOOH type guys at the position. I dunno how healthy Quinn is, so it wouldn't surprise me if a stud falls out of the first round that they don't jump on the value.

There should be additional OL available in the 3rd, if they get a Vet OL in FA.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
What? Why not? McVay is here to fix the offense, and Zay Jones, Chris Godwin Or JuJu would be worthy of being taken with the Rams second round pick. So would a guy like Evan Ingram
I believe a team should be built inside, then out. WR's are a dime a dozen. QB's make wrs...usually, not the other way around....
Now if Ingram is there at 37.....
That leaves Snead and McVay to take the best value which, honestly might be a TE if not a WR. The TE class is DEEP this year and getting one early might be a great investment.
Would be a much better investment than a wide receiver....

But I'd go line with the 2nd round pick...or...Linebacker....

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I believe a team should be built inside, then out. WR's are a dime a dozen. QB's make wrs...usually, not the other way around....
Now if Ingram is there at 37.....
Would be a much better investment than a wide receiver....

But I'd go line with the 2nd round pick...or...Linebacker....

This just isn't a great Oline draft. Plus, I really don't think we know what is there with the Rams Oline...other than Center. Barnes has been around long enough to know what he is. The rest of them though? Maybe the new coach thinks he can get them to play.

I would rather just see them fix the offense. The defense was good enough for now, like I said. And good receivers change everything. Look at the Packers without Jordy Nelson. One very good guy that they can't cover makes all the difference.

All three of those receivers are good second round value IMO. So I would have no qualms with any of them. Engram would be cool too.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
The draft has depth at CB and less at WR, so we will have to see, but I get this feeling that JuJu is destined for LaLa Land.

I wouldn't be one bit stunned if JuJu is still on the board and the Rams make him their 2nd round selection.

Measurements: 6'1″ | 215 lbs | 32 7/8 arms | 10 1/2 hands
Bench: 15 reps

Vertical jump: 32.5″
Broad: 120″

40 Yard Dash: 4.54

The measurements were as expected for Smith-Schuster, however the biggest question heading into the draft was his speed. His sub-4.6 speed might have surprised most, but his speed on film is very clear.

Registering 74 receptions for 914 yards and 10 touchdowns in his final season at USC, Smith-Schuster displayed what has consistently been his style over the past three seasons—brutally physical.

From the snap, Smith-Schuster uses his strong hands to create initial separation on routes, and continues his physical play by using his body to shield the ball from the defender.

With normally reliable hands, Smith-Schuster consistently fought for the ball—whether it was running fearlessly up the middle of the field with drags and slants, or boxing out defenders over the top for deep passes.

Often times however, Smith-Schuster couldn’t get in front of speedier defenders for the short routes, or got beat downfield with the inability to create separation.

With speed being the biggest knock on Smith-Schuster, his physical gifts in his strength and explosiveness perfectly complimented his aggression and competitiveness. Once he has the ball in the hands, he showed an innate ability for yards after the catch, as his speed on the field becomes real and his fondness for stiff arms keep defensive backs on the grass.

His most obvious fit seems like a possession receiver for West Coast offenses, yet his pro-style experience has proven he can lineup outside the numbers and bully his way downfield in high-volume passing offenses.
http://www.conquestchronicles.com/2...-nfl-scouting-combine-usc-juju-smith-schuster

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kyEA3FbTL8

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMW_WY0aAQY