Gonzalez: Goff Threw to Ross & Smith-Schuster in Workout

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rocko

UDFA
We can sacrifice prime time players who may not fit our coaches' designs well (e.g., Mark Barron).

I say trade Mark Barron, compensatory draft picks rd 4 pick 139, and rd 6 pick 220, and trade into round 1, picks between 20 and 25. Then land either Ryan Ramczyk, OT from Wisconsin, or Forrest Lamp, OL from Western Kentucky to play left tackle. Then land T.J. Watt in the second. 3rd round choose a CB or WR, whichever is the best available athlete. And for the FA I'd like to have, Kevin Zeitler from Cincinnati to play guard on the left. Left side of the line is set for years, T.J fills out and becomes a solid if not standout outside linebacker, and we get either a starting wide receiver or starting cornerback in the third round. I would also go after Garçon as the FA wide receiver we need for the experience he has with McVay. Well, that's my wish list anyways.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
This just isn't a great Oline draft. Plus, I really don't think we know what is there with the Rams Oline...other than Center. Barnes has been around long enough to know what he is. The rest of them though? Maybe the new coach thinks he can get them to play.

I would rather just see them fix the offense. The defense was good enough for now, like I said. And good receivers change everything. Look at the Packers without Jordy Nelson. One very good guy that they can't cover makes all the difference.

All three of those receivers are good second round value IMO. So I would have no qualms with any of them. Engram would be cool too.
No, this isn't a deep o-line class, but there are other positions that are deeper than they've been in years. Some very good lineman should slip with all the combine hype of the DB, DE, and TE positions. I'd say we should have a pretty good idea of what we have...3rd and 1 is 3rd and 1....4th and goal is 4th and goal...remember how we looked on those plays? Tell me, what's kromer gonna do to create more push outta the same 5 fellas?
You start to fix the offense by fixing the line. You fix the line by drafting good players.
Rodgers looked damn good without Jordy...You need a group of receivers to really make a difference. One receiver is nice, but it's better to have 3 really nice ones...and you can find those in the later rounds.
Personally...JuJu leaves a lot to be desired. I've seen a bunch of SC receivers the last few years enter the league. He has the least talent of all of them. Darreus Rodgers has better hands.

jap

Legend
I say trade Mark Barron, compensatory draft picks rd 4 pick 139, and rd 6 pick 220, and trade into round 1, picks between 20 and 25. Then land either Ryan Ramczyk, OT from Wisconsin, or Forrest Lamp, OL from Western Kentucky to play left tackle. Then land T.J. Watt in the second. 3rd round choose a CB or WR, whichever is the best available athlete. And for the FA I'd like to have, Kevin Zeitler from Cincinnati to play guard on the left. Left side of the line is set for years, T.J fills out and becomes a solid if not standout outside linebacker, and we get either a starting wide receiver or starting cornerback in the third round. I would also go after Garçon as the FA wide receiver we need for the experience he has with McVay. Well, that's my wish list anyways.

This all depends on how valuable Wade deems Mark is to his defense.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
No, this isn't a deep o-line class, but there are other positions that are deeper than they've been in years. Some very good lineman should slip with all the combine hype of the DB, DE, and TE positions. I'd say we should have a pretty good idea of what we have...3rd and 1 is 3rd and 1....4th and goal is 4th and goal...remember how we looked on those plays? Tell me, what's kromer gonna do to create more push outta the same 5 fellas?
You start to fix the offense by fixing the line. You fix the line by drafting good players.
Rodgers looked damn good without Jordy...You need a group of receivers to really make a difference. One receiver is nice, but it's better to have 3 really nice ones...and you can find those in the later rounds.
Personally...JuJu leaves a lot to be desired. I've seen a bunch of SC receivers the last few years enter the league. He has the least talent of all of them. Darreus Rodgers has better hands.

I like Rogers better than Ju Ju also.

I read an article on the Falcons OLine this season. It basically credited Alex Mack with making the unit good. Mostly he showed them how to practice like a pro. If he can do that, maybe Kromer can get the same work ethic out of them. These were the same players that finished the last six games of 2015 without a penalty. Bou has health problems and his best years are far past him. I am still holding out hope that some of the line can be salvaged. Replace Rollerskates at center and get GRob, Havenstein, and one of Saffold, Brown, Wichman, or Donnal right and you have 3/5 playing well. That is all it takes. I do agree some upgrades are warranted. Maybe sign Zeitler or Warford, but they won't be cheap. Most college Olinemen take a while to adapt from the spread and are projections. There is no instant fix in the draft.

I hate drafting early from the weakest part of the draft. Guys that are second rounders in a bad class are third rounders in a good class. In other words you end up overpaying. There seems to be one slam dunk in Lamp. Maybe Kromer can earn his money and help find a gem after round three. Green Bay seems to be able to pull it off at Center. I want to see some real playmakers. Later round receivers are always deficient somewhere. Either bad hands or can't get open. The Rams have had a slew of them over the years. I want the total package; receivers that run good routes and have GREAT hands. Unless your very lucky you have to take them early. I would be very happy with Engram, Godwin, Kupp, McCaffrey, and some others. Get some reliable playmakers to keep the chains moving.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

I don't think those pieces get you into round 1. Besides this draft is very deep at several positions. There is no need to move up to force an OLine pick, when there are lots of good round two players available, and even some in round three. If the Rams move picks I would prefer moving back in round two a little, or up into rounds two or three.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
IF JuJu is still around at our pick in the #2 I'd be happy with his name being called or Engram - I think these two could be game changers for the Rams. JuJu could easily play the Britt role (assuming he walks) and I would love to pick up Garçon in FA.

Garçon, JuJu, Tavon and Gurley would be ingredients to a pretty tasty offense.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
It basically credited Alex Mack with making the unit good. Mostly he showed them how to practice like a pro.
I feel you....shoulda put your entire statement....I don't know if a coach can have the same effect as a player...I read the same about Mack...I saw it when Hudson joined the Raiders...We saw a little of it when...who was the GB guy we got??? When he was healthy...our line was much better...Same when Long was "healthy"...LOL....It got me thinking...I don't know how good the Skins Center is/was...but it should be explored. While weak in tackles, this draft does have several legitimate guards and centers...We should grab a center to replace/learn from Sullivan (Washington FA)...maybe...Finally, I think there are 3 LT's in this draft that can play...probably 2 more but I wouldn't mess with. In my opinion, Bolles, Lamp, and Garcia could start at LT in 2017.....Risky but hey, when you ignore a position long enough for it to become a problem you gotta do desperate things. Again, I point to the push generated on short yardage running plays. Try not to even think of the confusion caused mistakes...Just physical power....who was lacking? I can only think of ONE lineman that I believe Kromer could "coach up" and displays power...And it's the guy that 90% of the fans bash...He's never missed a game to injury...He's highly drafted....You think 3/5ths of the line can be saved? I say he has one piece that he can really work with. Maybe 2. I need to see what Havenstein looks like...Foot injuries...at his size...can be troublesome. Oh, you thought my other lineman was Havenstein?? Nope, it's Jamon Brown...but a lower leg injury seems to have robbed him of power as well...Wichman, Barnes, Saffold, and Donall need to really show a lot to restore any faith that these guys should still be in horns in 2018. I watched Donall a lil while at Iowa...Mainly noticed him by watching Scherff. I don't see him as a starter..not yet...but if he continues to improve...
We can't afford Warford or Zeitler....top dollars in a weak lineman draft, with a bunch of teams starved for interior line talent...sorta like us..they'll command top $$$. They are proven...unlike rookies...Teams with playoff aspirations will target them. They'll get into bidding wars...and they'll overpay...

Late round receivers WE'VE targeted are deficient somewhere...hands, SPEED, route running, mental acuity...Something....That's a scouting problem. More wr's now than EVER, and we still have problems finding some...wtf???....But...I would agree that WR and Center...and possibly LT probably need a FA to bridge the gap for the players we draft...So, while I like Pryor (just a stud), Stills, or D-Jax....I can see the need for a Garcon...affordable, knows the system...and seems to be a good guy that you want the rookies around. And I stress...low round wrs...THAT CAN PLAY. We have a serious problem of looking/seeking/finding guys that are slot types...

So...that's 2 FA's...Sullivan as center...to teach a rookie (Toth) and Garcon as wr...to teach the receivers that McVay wants to draft. I don't see a wr on the roster now that will be here in 2019. Both of these are low cost...low risk...and should provide immediate impact on a stagnant offense.

Luck is cool to have in the draft...but skill rules the day...find out how the Steelers are finding wrs...ask around...I haven't liked...really known a wr the Rams have drafted in years....Since Torry...but I didn't know who Bruce was either...Whoever is finding wide outs...the last 5 years...doesn't know what the hell he's doing (And...I'm a guy that LIKES Brian Quick!!!!). I have a comment about the linemen...but I'll save it for another thread.
WR's to look in rounds 5, 6, and beyond....
Robert Davis, Quincy Adeboyejo, Josh Malone, Jehu Chesson, and another one I like...just on film and measureables...Kenny Golladay. Several others...man...too many to list..Hungry..ready to just soak up what McVay is preaching...Yarber will mold these guys...one more...Mack Hollins, stone cold leader right here....I refuse to believe we can't find ONE standout wr in the later rounds because the talent isn't there..I say the scouts don't know what the hell to look for in todays players....

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
JuJu is big, strong, tough with above average NFL hands. Uses great balance and competitiveness. He also wins 50/50 balls and locates the ball very well.
I would be fine with him even though the S.C receivers have not lived up to expectations over the last several drafts.

Last edited:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

I still can't get over how poorly Snisher messed up past drafts . It is really disheartening .
I think Snead is a good talent evaulutor , & has put in place excellent scouts. Just so glad Jeff Fisher is gone. He thought he knew what he was doing.
Snead does a better job in the back end of the draft.
I can't even fault him for his player selection. Just trading up for Joyner & Tavon Austin. Then not trading back with The Greg Robinson pick. Draft pick are so valuable . Then wasting pick on Jared Goff. ---I really like the players , except the value of draft picks are huge.

-- Bottom line is it is a new era like one of my old name sakes. Free agency will start to tell all. I can't even get into draft picks , but man there was a lot of plug & play players . If I'm the Tiantans I'm trading back into this draft . Use that number #5 overall for future drafts as well.
The Rams could have still been getting draft picks from the RG111 trade & had a 26 year old RG111 as well. So finding a Dak Prescott & a Kirk Cousin can do wonders for a franchise as well.

---I trust McVay & The Rams because they are going to turn some nice stones.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I think Snead is a good at talent evaluation , & has put in place excellent scouts. Just so glad Jeff Fisher is gone. He thought he knew what he was doing.
Snead does a better job in the back end of the draft.
Is he? Who specifically chooses the offensive players? Those linemen? Those wide receivers? Specifically Tavon & Goff...I won't go into Pead, Quick, Givens, Tre....Joyner....oops...that's just angry LAChamp slipping out....LOLOL

Is it more important to hit on the first 3 rounds or the last 3????

I'm up in the air about Snead at this moment. And his "scouts"...Now, if Sean can turn water into wine...

I love the way McVay talks...and his results speak for themselves.

These next 3 months will tell us...the Rams fans...a little of what this new regime is all about.

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
Still not sure who picked what players other then Snead liked Quick. The rest I'm not certain if it was Snead or Fisher.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Is he? Who specifically chooses the offensive players? Those linemen? Those wide receivers? Specifically Tavon & Goff...I won't go into Pead, Quick, Givens, Tre....Joyner....oops...that's just angry LAChamp slipping out....LOLOL

Is it more important to hit on the first 3 rounds or the last 3????

I'm up in the air about Snead at this moment. And his "scouts"...Now, if Sean can turn water into wine...

I love the way McVay talks...and his results speak for themselves.

These next 3 months will tell us...the Rams fans...a little of what this new regime is all about.

This next to weeks are going to help lead the way . I was just listening to 710espn .First TJ Ethan Westbrooks news & then Trunsignijg his franchise tag. He talked about not putting to much pressure on himself. They say The Rams have until June to sign him to a long term contract.

----I'm wondering about Norman last year with Carolina ?? Wasn't he franchised & then released ?? I'm wondering if The Rams can just opt out of the tag ??
Washington then signed him right after that. I'm not sure how that happened. I guess I could look it up.

I just think that Tru being the highest paid CB in The NFL is crazy !!! He has not even made the pro bowl yet ????
Josh Norman is a lot better than he & JJ
IMO .

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This next to weeks are going to help lead the way . I was just listening to 710espn .First TJ Ethan Westbrooks news & then Trunsignijg his franchise tag. He talked about not putting to much pressure on himself. They say The Rams have until June to sign him to a long term contract.

----I'm wondering about Norman last year with Carolina ?? Wasn't he franchised & then released ?? I'm wondering if The Rams can just opt out of the tag ??
Washington then signed him right after that. I'm not sure how that happened. I guess I could look it up.

I just think that Tru being the highest paid CB in The NFL is crazy !!! He has not even made the pro bowl yet ????
Josh Norman is a lot better than he & JJ
IMO .
The Panthers rescinded the tag because Norman wasn't going to sign it. Rams can trade Tru but not rescind the tag. If they cut him he's on the books for the full deal. He's a Ram now our best bet is to sign him to a long term deal and try to lessen this years hit a bit in the process.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I feel you....shoulda put your entire statement....I don't know if a coach can have the same effect as a player...I read the same about Mack...I saw it when Hudson joined the Raiders...We saw a little of it when...who was the GB guy we got??? When he was healthy...our line was much better...Same when Long was "healthy"...LOL....It got me thinking...I don't know how good the Skins Center is/was...but it should be explored. While weak in tackles, this draft does have several legitimate guards and centers...We should grab a center to replace/learn from Sullivan (Washington FA)...maybe...Finally, I think there are 3 LT's in this draft that can play...probably 2 more but I wouldn't mess with. In my opinion, Bolles, Lamp, and Garcia could start at LT in 2017.....Risky but hey, when you ignore a position long enough for it to become a problem you gotta do desperate things. Again, I point to the push generated on short yardage running plays. Try not to even think of the confusion caused mistakes...Just physical power....who was lacking? I can only think of ONE lineman that I believe Kromer could "coach up" and displays power...And it's the guy that 90% of the fans bash...He's never missed a game to injury...He's highly drafted....You think 3/5ths of the line can be saved? I say he has one piece that he can really work with. Maybe 2. I need to see what Havenstein looks like...Foot injuries...at his size...can be troublesome. Oh, you thought my other lineman was Havenstein?? Nope, it's Jamon Brown...but a lower leg injury seems to have robbed him of power as well...Wichman, Barnes, Saffold, and Donall need to really show a lot to restore any faith that these guys should still be in horns in 2018. I watched Donall a lil while at Iowa...Mainly noticed him by watching Scherff. I don't see him as a starter..not yet...but if he continues to improve...
We can't afford Warford or Zeitler....top dollars in a weak lineman draft, with a bunch of teams starved for interior line talent...sorta like us..they'll command top $$$. They are proven...unlike rookies...Teams with playoff aspirations will target them. They'll get into bidding wars...and they'll overpay...

Late round receivers WE'VE targeted are deficient somewhere...hands, SPEED, route running, mental acuity...Something....That's a scouting problem. More wr's now than EVER, and we still have problems finding some...wtf???....But...I would agree that WR and Center...and possibly LT probably need a FA to bridge the gap for the players we draft...So, while I like Pryor (just a stud), Stills, or D-Jax....I can see the need for a Garcon...affordable, knows the system...and seems to be a good guy that you want the rookies around. And I stress...low round wrs...THAT CAN PLAY. We have a serious problem of looking/seeking/finding guys that are slot types...

So...that's 2 FA's...Sullivan as center...to teach a rookie (Toth) and Garcon as wr...to teach the receivers that McVay wants to draft. I don't see a wr on the roster now that will be here in 2019. Both of these are low cost...low risk...and should provide immediate impact on a stagnant offense.

Luck is cool to have in the draft...but skill rules the day...find out how the Steelers are finding wrs...ask around...I haven't liked...really known a wr the Rams have drafted in years....Since Torry...but I didn't know who Bruce was either...Whoever is finding wide outs...the last 5 years...doesn't know what the hell he's doing (And...I'm a guy that LIKES Brian Quick!!!!). I have a comment about the linemen...but I'll save it for another thread.
WR's to look in rounds 5, 6, and beyond....
Robert Davis, Quincy Adeboyejo, Josh Malone, Jehu Chesson, and another one I like...just on film and measureables...Kenny Golladay. Several others...man...too many to list..Hungry..ready to just soak up what McVay is preaching...Yarber will mold these guys...one more...Mack Hollins, stone cold leader right here....I refuse to believe we can't find ONE standout wr in the later rounds because the talent isn't there..I say the scouts don't know what the hell to look for in todays players....

I wrote before what a difference a good Oline coach can make. Penn State lured Limegrover from Minnesota and their Oline went from the worst in the country to very respectable, even good. He moved some guys around but they all played so much better. I don't believe that it was just because they were one year older and more experienced. That line was atrocious. By seaons end both starting tackles were out with injuries and the backup tackles even played pretty good. A year or two and that would have spelled disaster and put the offense into a full protection shell. I really think Kromer is going to make a difference.

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
Sorry man, with his big contract, Barron is worth around a 4th/5th round pick at best. That's not going to get you anywhere near the first round. He's a good player, but the NFL is all about QBs, value contracts, and draft picks nowadays.

Rocko

UDFA
Sorry man, with his big contract, Barron is worth around a 4th/5th round pick at best. That's not going to get you anywhere near the first round. He's a good player, but the NFL is all about QBs, value contracts, and draft picks nowadays.

I just read that his base salary for 2017 is $5,000,000.00, and he gets a roster bonus of $5,000,000.00 also. So am I right to assume his overall salary for 2017 is $10,000,000.00.

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
I just read that his base salary for 2017 is $5,000,000.00, and he gets a roster bonus of $5,000,000.00 also. So am I right to assume his overall salary for 2017 is $10,000,000.00.
Yes, that's the actual money he will be paid in 2017 (bonus paid 3/11). The Rams have an additional $1M salary cap hit from his signing bonus and would take a $11M cap hit if they cut or trade him.

Last edited:

Rocko

UDFA
Yes, that's the actual money he will be paid in 2017 (bonus paid 3/11). The Rams have an additional $1M salary cap hit from his signing bonus and would take a $11M cap hit if they cut or trade him.

When you say $11M cap hit, do you mean deduct 11M from the approx. $20M the Rams have available in cap to drop it to about 9M, or add 11M to come up with about $31M. Just trying to have a better understanding of how this works.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
When you say $11M cap hit, do you mean deduct 11M from the approx. $20M the Rams have available in cap to drop it to about 9M, or add 11M to come up with about $31M. Just trying to have a better understanding of how this works.
It's already factored in to that $20M number. The cap space we have is for any free agents and draft picks we sign.