Gonna be some fierce competition in Ram camp this summer, huh?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You don’t think that there’s any competition at OL, Frantik? Not even a smidgen?

And you apparently see the only LB competition inside? None outside?

I’m kinda speechless, tbh.

TBH I don't see competition for starting roles anywhere really. ILB is the only possible exception, but here's how I think it will play out:

Fowler and Littleton are locked in - then I think the other ILB spot will go to Kiser for early downs. I think ultimately we will stick with Ebukam as the other "starter" at OLB, but Matthews may play more, and I think their intent will be for Fowler/Matthews/Ebukam to rotate to stay fresh.

3rd downs is where it will get fun - Rapp (or Christian if Rapp isn't ready) in for Kiser, OR now with Long we could play some 4 CB sets and drop either Weddle or JJ down. On the DL I imagine it will be Fowler/Donald/Matthews for sure - and then possibly Ebukam or JFM at DT for Brockers.

I guess there could be competition at OLB, but whoever starts is irrelevant IMO - because I think all three will play a lot.

On the OL I definitely don't see any competition though - we have to remember that McVay watched Allen go up against Suh/Donald quite a bit in practice last year. If they're confident in him, then he's probably going to be good.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
TBH I don't see competition for starting roles anywhere really. ILB is the only possible exception, but here's how I think it will play out:

Fowler and Littleton are locked in - then I think the other ILB spot will go to Kiser for early downs. I think ultimately we will stick with Ebukam as the other "starter" at OLB, but Matthews may play more, and I think their intent will be for Fowler/Matthews/Ebukam to rotate to stay fresh.

3rd downs is where it will get fun - Rapp (or Christian if Rapp isn't ready) in for Kiser, OR now with Long we could play some 4 CB sets and drop either Weddle or JJ down. On the DL I imagine it will be Fowler/Donald/Matthews for sure - and then possibly Ebukam or JFM at DT for Brockers.

I guess there could be competition at OLB, but whoever starts is irrelevant IMO - because I think all three will play a lot.

On the OL I definitely don't see any competition though - we have to remember that McVay watched Allen go up against Suh/Donald quite a bit in practice last year. If they're confident in him, then he's probably going to be good.

Good reply, Frantik. We’re not that far apart at all.

I do see competition at RG. Blythe does have the inside track right now, but he’s no lock, IMO. We’ll see if Evans or Edwards can seriously challenge. I think they may have a shot. In any case, that’s competition in my view.

At LB I see 2 locks to start, Fowler and Littleton. The other 2 positions are wide open right now and they will sort out the starters and pecking order through camp. Also, whether it’s a run or pass D should dictate which other 2 LB’s are on the field, so defining “starter” might get a little fuzzy, you know? Honestly, nothing would surprise me, given the talent on hand. Wish I had a little more confidence in coach Barry, tbh.

We totally agree that on 3rd and long things will get VERY interesting. Almost no end to the nickel and dime possibilities now available to Wade. And that includes numerous LB combos, too. Hell, they may even keep them under wraps within closed practices and then spring them in the regular season.

Can’t wait.

dang

Legend
I hav
Good reply, Frantik. We’re not that far apart at all.

I do see competition at RG. Blythe does have the inside track right now, but he’s no lock, IMO. We’ll see if Evans or Edwards can seriously challenge. I think they may have a shot. In any case, that’s competition in my view.

At LB I see 2 locks to start, Fowler and Littleton. The other 2 positions are wide open right now and they will sort out the starters and pecking order through camp. Also, whether it’s a run or pass D should dictate which other 2 LB’s are on the field, so defining “starter” might get a little fuzzy, you know? Honestly, nothing would surprise me, given the talent on hand. Wish I had a little more confidence in coach Barry, tbh.

We totally agree that on 3rd and long things will get VERY interesting. Almost no end to the nickel and dime possibilities now available to Wade. And that includes numerous LB combos, too. Hell, they may even keep them under wraps within closed practices and then spring them in the regular season.

Can’t wait.
The Rams know they need more from their OC/RG play against the better competion. The Rams appear to be high on Allen at OC. My bet is he worked his tail off this offseason and will be much stronger and technically sound compared to next year. As a result, I doubt anyone beats him out but he will have to prove he is ready to start. In addition he is a young pup that should continue to grow as he gains more experience. Blythe was very impressive last year winning the starting RG position and played well throughout the year - however - his limitations were evident against some of the better competition. As a result he will have some serious competition from Demby, Edwards and Evans. I believe he wins the starting RG position to start the regular season - but wouldn't be surprised to see him giving up some playing time as the season progresses.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I hav

The Rams know they need more from their OC/RG play against the better competition. The Rams appear to be high on Allen at OC. My bet is he worked his tail off this offseason and will be much stronger and technically sound compared to next year. As a result, I doubt anyone beats him out but he will have to prove he is ready to start. In addition, he is a young pup that should continue to grow as he gains more experience. Blythe was very impressive last year winning the starting RG position and played well throughout the year - however - his limitations were evident against some of the better competition. As a result he will have some serious competition from Demby, Edwards and Evans. I believe he wins the starting RG position to start the regular season - but wouldn't be surprised to see him giving up some playing time as the season progresses.

Just sticking to your two mentioned OL posts RG & center.....Snead moved quickly on the OC post back on Mar 5, 2019, when he declined to start OC John Sullivan's option for 2019, clearing $5.25 of Cap $$. Snead then signed OC Aaron Neary who has been a Ram since early 2017. Apr 29, 2019, Snead went on to sign two more OC's Jeremiah Kolone & Vitas Hrynkiewicz.OC/OG Kolone signed with the Rams last year @ this time but was released as the regular season began. Kolone went on to start for the Fleet & Mike Martz @ center.

So currently Snead has provided OC Kromer FIVE (5) center prospects for competition :

Austin Blythe 26-4 6-2/298- 7th rd selection by Colts
Aaron Neary 26-2 6-4/300- UDFA
Jeremiah Kolone 24-2 6-3/316- UDFA
Brian Allen 23-2 6-1/303- 4th rd selection by Rams in 2017
Vitas Hrynkiewicz 21-R 6-4/310- UDFA

Snead has also hauled in a significant number of RG prospects too. Blythe, Kolone, Neary & Allen all can play line up @ the RG post if desired. Here's the list of TEN (10) excluding the four mentioned above:

Joe Noteboom 24-2 6-5/321-3rd rd selection in 2018
Jamil Demby 23-2 6-5/321-6th rd selection in 2018
Bobby Evans 22-R 6-4/312- 3rd rd selection in 2019
David Edwards 22-R 6-6/308- 5th rd selection in 2019
Chandler Brewer 21-R 6-5/320-UDFA
Brandon Hitner 21-R 6-6/305-UDFA

I am not sure how much the element of the loss of two starters off last seasons NFC Championship team will figure into this competition in the 3 interior OL posts. Both our OT's remain unchanged now since 2017. Kromer might look @ a total reboot on these 3 inside starting posts in an effort to find the best combination for maximum effectiveness.

At the OG posts ....Noteboom, Kolone & Evans should be the best trio @ starting OG posts in pass protection but not in run blocking. Turn it around & it could be Edwards, Demby & Allen could be the best trio @ run blocking from the two OG posts. (Might want to remember Kromer is the Offensive Run Game Coordinator for the Rams) :whistle:Effective running attack will go a long way to keep Goff from being rattled & molested thus keeping him from taking fire & minimizing his misfires & mistakes.

I should say that I am a firm believer in Brian Allen winning the starting center position very early. I also favor Austin Blythe being the top game day reserve OL this season. Blythe would be a great emergency plug-in @ OC/RG/LG & RT if needed.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
In other words the last few roster spots that will be inactive unless they contribute on special teams.

I started the “biggest surprise” thread partly to see who you guys thought would come out of nowhere to be better than projected.

Though I agree most of the starter/main backup spots are known. Somebody, probably a high draft pick like Rapp, Evans or Long will emerge and play so well, the coaches won’t be able to keep them off the field.

And somebody- maybe a veteran signing, or Ram veteran, may lose a step, be out of shape and disappoint, or there may be an injury, and force a late signing of a new player, or an unexpected young player into a larger role.

Those things happen every year.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Ram veteran, may lose a step, be out of shape and disappoint, or there may be an injury, and force a late signing of a new player, or an unexpected young player into a larger role.
Then most would look @ the three main over 30 yrs older players we have on our roster....Starting LT Andrew Whitworth will be 39 yrs old before the end of the year. Starting FS Eric Weddle will be 35 yr old & starting Corner Aqib Talib will be 33 yr old before this season ends.

Snead has LT's Joe Noteboom & Bobby Evans here to take up the mantle should Whitworth falter. The top draft selection of Rookie safety Taylor Rapp & drafted Rookie Nick Scott are ready if FS Weddle's play drops off. Same can be said for drafted Rookie David Long plus a healthy Kevin Peterson (who will enter his 3rd season) stand ready if Talib continues to end up on the IR.

Ram65

Legend
On defense I see competition for playing time. Only a handful of players will be playing most downs.

Donald
Littleton
Fowler
Talib
Peters
Weddle ( he played 98.16% snap year) https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/rav/2018-snap-counts.htm

The rotation on the defense line will be interesting. Suh took a lot of snaps last year as the Rams had little depth. Now the Rams will spread it out with OLBer pass rushers and with the young players.

NT will have Gaines and SJD getting reps on early downs. Gaines seems the favorite but, SJD has been working out adding some size and muscle. They will compete for PT

Brockers and JFM will be working the 5 tech. Brockers said he stayed around and worked out his off season.(contract year) JFM showed flashes last year and will be called on to help Brockers. They will be competing for PT.

Fox and Smart will be competing with others to round out the DL.

The Rams will be using a lot of sub packages. Kiser will compete with Mathews for playing time inside. Rams will move Mathews outside to be competing with Ebukam.

Rapp comes in as third safety replacing Kiser/Mathews. Long competes for PT with Hill or other DBs and Rapp.

I can see a well rested defense with a nice rotation. The fact Wade can play the hot hand and have a nice rotation defense. There will be guys like Obo. Lawler and others wanting to play as well. It will be interesting to see how he divides up the playing time.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
On defense I see competition for playing time. Only a handful of players will be playing most downs.

Donald
Littleton
Fowler
Talib
Peters
Weddle ( he played 98.16% snap year) https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/rav/2018-snap-counts.htm

The rotation on the defense line will be interesting. Suh took a lot of snaps last year as the Rams had little depth. Now the Rams will spread it out with OLBer pass rushers and with the young players.

NT will have Gaines and SJD getting reps on early downs. Gaines seems the favorite but, SJD has been working out adding some size and muscle. They will compete for PT

Brockers and JFM will be working the 5 tech. Brockers said he stayed around and worked out his off season.(contract year) JFM showed flashes last year and will be called on to help Brockers. They will be competing for PT.

Fox and Smart will be competing with others to round out the DL.

The Rams will be using a lot of sub packages. Kiser will compete with Mathews for playing time inside. Rams will move Mathews outside to be competing with Ebukam.

Rapp comes in as third safety replacing Kiser/Mathews. Long competes for PT with Hill or other DBs and Rapp.

I can see a well rested defense with a nice rotation. The fact Wade can play the hot hand and have a nice rotation defense. There will be guys like Obo. Lawler and others wanting to play as well. It will be interesting to see how he divides up the playing time.

Good assessment, although did you forget to add NRC into the equation?

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
For someone who often takes pre-season games fairly lightly, I'm actually overly curious about the depth competition at LB this season. One guy we haven't heard much about is Natrez Patrick, the Georgia Bulldog who was popped a few times for marijuana use and easily could have been drafted had he steered clear. Kind of a hybrid, likely we'll see him lining up both inside & outside. Texas Tech LB Dakota Allen is another player who found himself on the wrong side of the law, for an even stronger charge than Patrick, and both players have been thru programs which have turned their lives around. Texas A&M OLB Landis Durham was once considered a 3'rd round prospect by some and had 17 sacks combined in his final two college seasons. Texas Christian's OLB Josh Carraway is an excellent, explosive athlete said to already posses NFL level burst.

These above guys will be pursuing current Rams depth players Trevon Young, Justin Lawler, S/ILB hybrid Travin Howard & Bryce Hager, all while Ogbonnia Okoronkwo, Samson Ebukam, Clay Matthews & Micah Kiser jockey for snaps in a starting/rotational role. Other than Fowler & Littleton, it's a free for all.

I'd say yes, the competition will be fierce at a number of positions, but watching to see who emerges at LB will be more than interesting to say the least. jmo.

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2019/05/06/nfl-rams-roster-position-battles-depth-chart/7/
7 best position battles on Rams' roster
By: Cameron DaSilva

Coming out of the draft, the Los Angeles Rams have competition at several spots for not only starting jobs, but snaps as role players, too. They have one of the strongest rosters in the NFL right now with the potential to get even better if young players step up to bolster the depth chart.

Here are the seven biggest position battles on the roster heading into minicamp, OTAs and eventually training camp.

Offensive line
Center: Brian Allen vs. Austin Blythe

Guard: Joseph Noteboom vs. Austin Blythe vs. Bobby Evans vs. David Edwards

The only two positions with locked-in starters up front are at tackle where Andrew Whitworth and Rob Havenstein will continue to man their posts. Other than that, there’s a great lack of clarity on the Rams’ offensive line. The likeliest scenario is Noteboom starting at left guard, Allen at center and Blythe remaining at right guard, but that’s no certainty. Noteboom will battle Evans and Edwards at left guard, while both of the rookies will also compete at right guard if Blythe moves to center.

Essentially, there could be a domino effect based on where Blythe plays. If the Rams are set on keeping him at right guard, Evans and Edwards will only challenge Noteboom at left guard, thus awarding Allen the starting center job.

Regardless of how this plays out, there will be two new starters on the offensive line.

Prediction: Allen at center, Noteboom at LG, Blythe at RG

Inside linebacker
Micah Kiser vs. Clay Matthews vs. Dakota Allen

Kiser was one of the biggest winners of the draft, considering the Rams waited until their last pick to select an inside linebacker. It was a big vote of confidence from the coaches and front office, almost penciling in Kiser as the starter.

Matthews will play both inside and outside linebacker, so Kiser will have to fight him for playing time, in a sense. But really, his top competition might be Allen, the Rams’ seventh-round pick. Allen probably won’t be anything more than a special teams player and he may not even make the team, but there’s always a chance he’ll step up in camp and the preseason to win the job.

Kiser has the inside track toward being the Day 1 starter next to Cory Littleton.

Prediction: Kiser wins starting job

Michael Brockers vs. John Franklin-Myers vs. Greg Gaines vs. Sebastian Joseph-Day

For clarity purposes, Brockers is (most likely) going to be a starter somewhere up front. It’s just a matter of where, which somewhat depends on how the coaching staff feels about Franklin-Myers, Gaines and Joseph-Day.

If Gaines comes in and beats out Joseph-Day to earn the starting nose tackle job, Brockers will stay at defensive end, holding off Franklin-Myers. However, if Gaines and Joseph-Day fail to step up, and Franklin-Myers looks great in camp, it could entice the Rams to move Brockers to nose tackle and start Franklin-Myers at DE.

Similarly to the offensive line, it’s a fluid situation. Les Snead talked about Brockers’ versatility being an asset, and Brockers himself said he’d be OK with moving to nose tackle. Unless the Rams cut Brockers in a money-saving move – which they’ve pretty much said won’t happen – he’ll start at either nose tackle or defensive end.

Gaines could be the Rams’ lone rookie starter, potentially replacing Ndamukong Suh as the big man in the middle. He might be the true nose tackle the Rams have been looking for, but he still has work to do.

No. 2 outside linebacker
Clay Matthews vs. Samson Ebukam vs. Ogbonnia Okoronkwo

Just as he’ll play inside linebacker, Matthews will also rush the passer off the edge. In fact, that’s probably where he’ll play most. The Rams need pass-rush help more than they need an inside linebacker, so expect to see him outside more than off the ball. That being said, Ebukam and Okoronkwo should contribute next season, too.

Dante Fowler Jr. is making too much money to be a backup, so he’ll be on the field as a full-time pass rusher, which means Ebukam and Okoronkwo will have to prove themselves in order to eat into Matthews’ playing time.

That’s not going to be easy to do, but if one of them can step up in the preseason, it could entice the Rams to play Matthews at inside linebacker more.

Prediction: Matthews starts at OLB

Backup running back
Malcolm Brown vs. Darrell Henderson

The Rams surprisingly drafted a running back in Round 3, which adds another layer of competition to the backfield. Henderson is viewed as a change-of-pace back who can line up almost anywhere on offense, so he won’t be a traditional tailback the way Brown is. Still, they’re going to compete for snaps behind Todd Gurley, who will remain the workhorse, of course.

Henderson has big-play ability and was a home run threat at Memphis, so Sean McVay will certainly want him on the field. It just remains to be seen where he’ll line up most and how much he’ll actually play.

Ultimately, I think Brown will still be the No. 2 RB by title, but Henderson will touch the ball plenty.

Prediction: Brown is RB2

Tight end
Gerald Everett vs. Tyler Higbee

This has been a positional battle ever since Everett was drafted, but this feels like the year he pulls ahead of Higbee as the starting tight end. Last season, Higbee played twice as many snaps as Everett (788 vs. 380). In the playoffs, though, Everett closed the gap and even overtook Higbee as TE1 in the NFC championship and Super Bowl.

McVay’s history of working with tight ends and utilizing players like Jordan Reed and Vernon Davis makes Everett such an enticing option as the Rams’ top tight end. Not to mention, the Rams reportedly tried to trade Higbee for a sixth-round pick last year, so Everett could have the inside track toward the starting job.

Prediction: Everett starts, Higbee is traded

No. 3 safety
Taylor Rapp vs. Marqui Christian

Christian was a part-time player last year, playing 34 percent of the snaps. That’s not a huge amount, but the coaches had confidence in him to cover tight ends and play a hybrid-linebacker role. That job could be given to Rapp, who the Rams drafted 61st overall in the second round after trading back three times.

He brings elite short-area quickness and loves to lay the wood on ball carriers, which should earn him playing time early. The Rams did a lot of work on safeties throughout the pre-draft process, so they were clearly looking for help at that position. It’s difficult to imagine a scenario where Rapp doesn’t get on the field in sub-packages.

Prediction: Rapp beats out Christian

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
We should be a top 7 run Def and top 10 pass Def. This rookie class was outstanding for us

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We should be a top 7 run Def and top 10 pass Def. This rookie class was outstanding for us

After last season, I'd be ecstatic if the Rams were just in the middle area for run defense. With the Rams offense, if teams aren't getting 5+ yards per carry, they will need to abandon it reasonably quickly.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
I think Gaines and Rapp and possibly Long are the real deal. Now I know Im sounding like a big homer here BUT Gaines is known for handling 2 blockers and stuffing the run. Rapp is an elite tackler who can read plays w/ great instincts. And able to play a few differ spots as well.
Long can be the cherry for our Def. Just my 2 homer cents