Gonna be some fierce competition in Ram camp this summer, huh?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I mean, some position groups will be a probable knock down, drag out scenario, don’t you think? Sure, there’s always competition every year, but this year it’s gonna be exceptional in some areas.

Take interior OL, for example. Other than the 2 OT’s, there will be fierce competition at C and both OG’s. Most are predicting Boom and Blythe at the Guard positions and Allen at C, but none are exactly carved in stone, are they? Heck, it’s conceivable that Blythe might wind up as starting C with a rookie at RG in Edwards or Evans. Or possibly someone else if a UDFA gem jumps out. There’s gotta be a dozen players competing for perhaps 3 starting positions. A very promising and healthy scenario from the Rams pov, indeed. Best competition in years?

LB, both inside and out, will be another biggie. Other than Fowler, Littleton, and Matthews (with limited snaps at 2 positions), who are our other 2 starters for sure? And Littleton may be moving over himself, possibly even outside occasionally in certain schemes, reportedly. Kiser is probable on first 2 downs, but is he certain? Not sure. Does Obo have a big Ram future? Seems like a dozen candidates for essentially 2 starting LB positions, huh?

We know that Talib and Peters are our 2 starters at outside CB, but what if Peters struggles again this year as he did early last year? How does Wade keep Long off the field, then? Heck, Long may see the field in some hybrid schemes, anyway. Bottom of that CB roster is gonna be fierce, too. Troy Hill likely doesn’t even survive.

Starting Safeties are set, but how does Wade keep Rapp off the field? Answer is probably some 3 Safety sets. Or something else such as a semi-LB hybrid set of some kind?

My point? Snead and McVay seem to have done a fine job of loading up this roster. To the point that final cuts will be snatched up quickly by other teams for their 53.

There will be no shortage of camp competition to observe this summer. Our various camp reporters had better be well rested and be eating plenty of carrots. Lol.

Gotta say that we should approach opening day with one helluva team and depth roster.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
Obo is one player I am excited about watching. Loved the pick and expect him to play a key role this season

The other is Ebu. Can he transition from a raw but talented starter to a polished pro with plus athleticism and technique?

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I mean, some position groups will be a probable knock down, drag out scenario, don’t you think? Sure, there’s always competition every year, but this year it’s gonna be exceptional in some areas.

Take interior OL, for example. Other than the 2 OT’s, there will be fierce competition at C and both OG’s. Most are predicting Boom and Blythe at the Guard positions and Allen at C, but none are exactly carved in stone, are they? Heck, it’s conceivable that Blythe might wind up as starting C with a rookie at RG in Edwards or Evans. Or possibly someone else if a UDFA gem jumps out. There’s gotta be a dozen players competing for perhaps 3 starting positions. A very promising and healthy scenario from the Rams pov, indeed. Best competition in years?

LB, both inside and out, will be another biggie. Other than Fowler, Littleton, and Matthews (with limited snaps at 2 positions), who are our other 2 starters for sure? And Littleton may be moving over himself, possibly even outside occasionally in certain schemes, reportedly. Kiser is probable on first 2 downs, but is he certain? Not sure. Does Obo have a big Ram future? Seems like a dozen candidates for essentially 2 starting LB positions, huh?

We know that Talib and Peters are our 2 starters at outside CB, but what if Peters struggles again this year as he did early last year? How does Wade keep Long off the field, then? Heck, Long may see the field in some hybrid schemes, anyway. Bottom of that CB roster is gonna be fierce, too. Troy Hill likely doesn’t even survive.

Starting Safeties are set, but how does Wade keep Rapp off the field? Answer is probably some 3 Safety sets. Or something else such as a semi-LB hybrid set of some kind?

My point? Snead and McVay seem to have done a fine job of loading up this roster. To the point that final cuts will be snatched up quickly by other teams for their 53.

There will be no shortage of camp competition to observe this summer. Our various camp reporters had better be well rested and be eating plenty of carrots. Lol.

Gotta say that we should approach opening day with one helluva team and depth roster.

I think the starters are set and the competition will be for backups. I don't think there's any competition at OL.

For LB it's really just one spot - to either be filled by Ebukam at ILB or Kiser. Rapp will probably take that spot on 3rd downs.

Peters was elite from week 13 through the Super Bowl, no drama at CB.

I'm hoping that we play our backups more frequently this year on defense, at WR and RB.
It's nice having depth but McVay has to use it. I want to see games where Gurley has less touches than both Brown and Henderson.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
I think the starters are set and the competition will be for backups. I don't think there's any competition at OL.

For LB it's really just one spot - to either be filled by Ebukam at ILB or Kiser. Rapp will probably take that spot on 3rd downs.

I'm hoping that we play our backups more frequently this year on defense, at WR and RB.
It's nice having depth but McVay has to use it. I want to see games where Gurley has less touches than both Brown and Henderson

Keep players fresh down the stretch run into the playoffs, expect for the Whiners then its foot on throat until the final whistle.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We play the pesky Cards twice in December. Those games will be dog fights this year and I don't see anyone resting this year for the last game of the season. Let's hope we have all 53 we started with on Dec 29th.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life

It's nice having depth but McVay has to use it. I want to see games where Gurley has less touches than both Brown and Henderson.
I agree with this being all about the backups. I can't wait to see who grabs the backup spot behind Allen at Center. Don't see Ebukam playing inside though.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
I'm looking forward to read what @VeteranRamFan and Sam see at camp this year. Doesnt look like I will make it again this year, I doubt they will practice on the 8/9 since they play the raiders on 8/10. And its a bit of a drive to go down there for 1 practice on 8/8.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
QB/ RB/ DL is set.

What're the major battles for?

The 3rd TE roster spot (Johnny Mundt/ Brown/ Brooker/ Blanton)

The 5th WR roster spot (Alex Bachman/ JoJo Natson/ Hodge/ Proehl/ Thomas/ Webster)

9th OL'er roster spot (OG/OC Aaron Neary/ OG/OC Jeremiah Kolone/ LT/LG Brandon Hitner/ OC Vitas Hrynkiewicz/ OT/OG Chandler Brewer

4th Interior LB'er (Dakota Allen/ Bryce Hager/ Troy Reeder/ Travin Howard/ Martez Patrick)

5th & 6th OLB'er- (Justin Lawler/ Trevin Young/ Landis Durham/ Josh Carraway)

4th safety- (Marqui Christian/ Nick Scott/ Steven Parker/ Roderic Teamer)

5th & 6th corner- (Ramon Richards/ Dom Hatfield/ Kevin Peterson/ Troy Hill/ Dante Deayon/ Darious Williams)

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
9th OL'er roster spot (OG/OC Aaron Neary/ OG/OC Jeremiah Kolone/ LT/LG Brandon Hitner/ OC Vitas Hrynkiewicz/ OT/OG Chandler Brewer
I wonder if OC Vitas Hrynkiewicz can win the backup or at least make it to the PS. I think he might surprise

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Competition for depth, I’m pretty sure we know our starters and main contributors.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
QB/ RB/ DL is set.

The 5th WR roster spot (Alex Bachman/ JoJo Natson/ Hodge/ Proehl/ Thomas/ Webster)

4th Interior LB'er (Dakota Allen/ Bryce Hager/ Troy Reeder/ Travin Howard/ Martez Patrick)

5th & 6th corner- (Ramon Richards/ Dom Hatfield/ Kevin Peterson/ Troy Hill/ Dante Deayon/ Darious Williams)
In other words the last few roster spots that will be inactive unless they contribute on special teams.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

You don’t think that there’s any competition at OL, Frantik? Not even a smidgen?

And you apparently see the only LB competition inside? None outside?

I’m kinda speechless, tbh.

Flint

Pro Bowler
Compared to last year there is a lot of uncertainty, Roger and Sully had been through it and we had a pretty good idea what to expect. We think these guys can handle their new jobs but we won’t know for sure until they do.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Yeah, I agree with most posters insofar as most of the competition should be for backup roles.

BTW, that’s how it ‘should’ be, I think— lots of competition for starting spots is often the sign of a rebuilding team, not a contender.

Peters shouldn’t lose out to a rookie in Long.

And the OL definitely has starters penciled in, McVay has said as much. Noteboom is gonna be great, and the coaches seem to be high on Allen. IMHO the weakest link might be at RG... man, Blythe was AWFUL in the big game. Still, he’d be a significant favorite to keep his starting job over the rookies.

Big wild card for me is Kiser. Really curious as to whether he’ll have a significant role or not. Still— we have 4 solid LB’s in Fowler, CL, CM, and Ebu.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Know what?

My personal biggest concern on OL is Blythe. And it’s not that big of a concern, at that.

I’m damned comfortable with Boom at LG and Allen at C.

PressureD41

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
QB/ RB/ DL is set.

these are my guesses as of today, if a gun was put to my head

PressureD41

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Yeah, I agree with most posters insofar as most of the competition should be for backup roles.

BTW, that’s how it ‘should’ be, I think— lots of competition for starting spots is often the sign of a rebuilding team, not a contender.

Peters shouldn’t lose out to a rookie in Long.

And the OL definitely has starters penciled in, McVay has said as much. Noteboom is gonna be great, and the coaches seem to be high on Allen. IMHO the weakest link might be at RG... man, Blythe was AWFUL in the big game. Still, he’d be a significant favorite to keep his starting job over the rookies.

Big wild card for me is Kiser. Really curious as to whether he’ll have a significant role or not. Still— we have 4 solid LB’s in Fowler, CL, CM, and Ebu.

I agree w/ the weakest OLmen is Blythe, lets hope someone can outright claim the starting ROG, and make Blythe a great OC/OG back up for us. That a my hope. Just not sure they would allow the entire inside OL be all new to start. So a realistic goal might be after week 5 Blythe gets bumped to the bench once 'Boom & Allen show what they can do for a stretch of games.

CB Long looks to be a stud in a years time I'm betting. He's a baller

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Know what?

My personal biggest concern on OL is Blythe. And it’s not that big of a concern, at that.

I’m damned comfortable with Boom at LG and Allen at C.

Yes, it would be nice to have pro bowlers at every position.

They've done a good job at getting quality for cheap though. Necessary because of trading for and then signing expensive players. There are players they'd like to keep that they just can't afford - salary cap, you know. Noteboom especially should be a nice, cheap replacement for the next three seasons. Blythe could be replaced if one of the rookies is ready - but really, he's an acceptable guy, despite a crappy Super Bowl.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I agree with this being all about the backups. I can't wait to see who grabs the backup spot behind Allen at Center. Don't see Ebukam playing inside though.

Samson Ebukam will be A sponge to Clay Matthews locks..He may even follow him in the shower.Weather Clay goes inside or out is
have as many looks as possible .The Defensive Front is going to be interesting !!!! Just think now , without Suh !!

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
these are my guesses as of today, if a gun was put to my head
looks like both Higbee & Everett have leaned out. Everett looks like he will be used more as a HiBred this season.

Backup TE is a good question mark ???
I wanted The Rams to draft the TE from San Jose St. The TE from SDSU was on The Rams draft board for a minute.