Goff's play before the Bosa hit

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Again courtesy of Blue and Gold:

upload_2017-8-27_10-36-43.png

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
For whatever reason Goff was locked in down the middle. Woods should of put his hand up to get Goff's attention. I'm sure McVay will be playing that a few times in group meeting.

His primary area he needs to improve on is speed through his reads IMO. He is close, well close-r to being where he needs to be. But he is not there yet. Quicker through his reads will allow him to see those types of things.

IMO some of it probably had to do with Kupp being out. The kid is just all over Kupp. But it's probably a good thing right now to have Kupp out and make him go back to reading through each option in a given play without that easy completion Kupp provides.

And the opener isn't my main concern, as I think he'll be fine against Indy. But when the defenses in the NFC West come knockin he's going to have to get through those at the required speed or we're in for some damn pain.

Ram65

Legend
His primary area he needs to improve on is speed through his reads IMO. He is close, well close-r to being where he needs to be. But he is not there yet. Quicker through his reads will allow him to see those types of things.

Higbee was his second read correct? Along the same lines he didn't get off Higbee. I don't know why because he was covered. He should have quickly scanned right toward Woods before the throw away. This is an example of locking onto one WR.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
My take was that Goff was pissed because that play was designed as a quick hitter they thought would work. He threw it away because in preseason, you don't improvise as you are working on what plays work. Even in the regular season, you see the QB throw that high and out if it's not open.

To assign his ire to missing the throw - IMO - would be ignoring the coverage that was obviously there.

We can nitt pick Goff. But maybe we should be more apt to giving him the benefit of the doubt as he IS our QB and no doubt most of us hope he lights it up come the regular season.

Go RAMS!!!

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I thought Brown ran really well. 9 for 44 and a lot of them were tough yards.
Thought he left some meat on the bone....looked like there was more there.....IDK...he just didn't look explosive and hungry like a backup running back. He's so much slower than Gurley.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
@Merlin
excellent work..great shot up above..after re-watching game...he does seem to stick on his primary....for a long time.... I wonder, was he still searching for Higbee? His best-ie:rolleyes:o_O:confused:

bluecoconuts

Legend
I'll have to check out the post game INTVs to see what McVay & Goff say about what seemed like 8 straight running plays called after the INT. What message was McVay sending him there? No shock if Mannion starts the season. As I said, if Goff sits next week he's safe but if he plays and repeats this performance all bets are off.

The Chargers weren't stopping the run, and our pass protection wasn't all that good on the right side of our line. That's the only message, Goff is sitting out against the Packers and starting against the Colts, McVay said that a while ago. The right side of the line needs to play better, that's the concern with our offense right now.

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
I think Goff's reaction after throwing it over Higbee was that he saw Wood's was open. Not that he missed the pass to Higbee.