Goff's play before the Bosa hit

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Montanaramfan

Rookie
The play that I really didn't like was the one right before the Bosa hit. We had second and seven from the eight yard line. Goff's primary receiver (Higbee) was covered so he threw it over his head. Fouts even commented that it was a smart throw. Judging by Goff's body language after the pass though, I'm not convinced he was throwing it away. I think he just missed him.

When I first watched the play live, I thought he was throwing the ball away. That's what I didn't like. He had a wide open running lane to his right where he could have bought some time and found an open receiver. It also appear that Woods was open around the two yard line on a slant. If he was throwing it away, he needs to learn to scramble and wait for a receiver to get open. Throwing it away just because your primary receiver is covered doesn't cut it, especially when you're down in the Red Zone. You never know what's going to happen on the next play. Goff's pocket presence concerns me. I hope McVay has drills in mind that can work on that. Thoughts?

Last edited:

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
My thought was that he turned away from an earlier pass and then had no option but to throw it away....I would say that his pocket presence is good but maybe a Lil inconsistent yet..... that broken pass play to Brown was absolutely brilliant. ....and reminded me of Aaron Rogers. He was a Lil off today.... not Lazer Sharpe as so far this preseason ... he wasn't given a chance to stay in and battle through adversity but my feeling is he is very confidant almost mad at himself for both turnovers.... and in the regular season Goff will show out most games every once in a whole have a quarter like this one.... but fight through it......I still see no reason we don't finish 11-5... lead by Goff....;)

Go Rams........ ;)

tempests

Hall of Fame
That's the kind of thing that should improve with experience. He's not seeing the whole field yet.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
That's the kind of thing that should improve with experience. He's not seeing the whole field yet.

Exactly. Too many people thought he was the second coming of Kurt Warner after last week. He's a 22 year old kid with 7 career starts. Might as well call him a rookie again. This isn't the last bad game we will see. Much like last week wasn't the last good game we will see. Its going to take time.

OC_Ram

Restricted Free Agent
He looked rattled. The sack appeared to change his decision making real quick. I'm worried.

Last edited:

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Matt Ryan was 4/11 no TD's and 1 INT in his start. It happens. The one thing about preseason, a QB doesn't get the 60 minutes to rebound from a rough start. We won't know how Goff responds to a couple mistakes until he gets the whole game to turn it around.

bdfitz

UDFA
I mentioned that play in another post citing Woods open at the 3 yard line. I also mentioned missing a wide open Brown with room to run instead of squeezing in an under thrown ball to Higbee where Goff got bailed out with a PI. I now look at it this way. Last year, Goff never would have seen Higbee and with no downfield passes conpleted he would have hit the checkdown receiver and Brown would have immediately been tackled. This is progress but still a work in progress.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Matt Ryan was 4/11 no TD's and 1 INT in his start. It happens. The one thing about preseason, a QB doesn't get the 60 minutes to rebound from a rough start. We won't know how Goff responds to a couple mistakes until he gets the whole game to turn it around.

This is where my head is at.

bdfitz

UDFA
I'll have to check out the post game INTVs to see what McVay & Goff say about what seemed like 8 straight running plays called after the INT. What message was McVay sending him there? No shock if Mannion starts the season. As I said, if Goff sits next week he's safe but if he plays and repeats this performance all bets are off.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
One thing that surprised me was, McVay started pulling his starting O-Line and left Goff in there!! I don't care for the fact McVay decided to sit all the starter he did in this game!

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
We are witnessing Goff's "growing pains". Patience, my Ram Bros. the phuc-ups come with the gaining of experience.

Part of getting better is how you handle failure. So far I think Goff is coming along. Goff becoming an elite NFL QB might take another season or two.. Get used to these kind of outings. There will be more, but there will be good ones with wins too.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is where my head is at.
Me too. I watched the Lions/Pats game. Should have seen Stafford. He was flat out awful, they were down 24-0, he had a pick, barely 50% passing. Then Pats let up, he stayed in the game and junked up his numbers. No worries there...
Even Mannion, who played phenomenal late in the game, wasnt great in his first few series.

Billy Baroo

How about a Fresca?
Me too. I watched the Lions/Pats game. Should have seen Stafford. He was flat out awful, they were down 24-0, he had a pick, barely 50% passing. Then Pats let up, he stayed in the game and junked up his numbers. No worries there...
Even Mannion, who played phenomenal late in the game, wasnt great in his first few series.
Brady had a INT too! He's no longer going to Canton.

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
I'll have to check out the post game INTVs to see what McVay & Goff say about what seemed like 8 straight running plays called after the INT. What message was McVay sending him there? No shock if Mannion starts the season. As I said, if Goff sits next week he's safe but if he plays and repeats this performance all bets are off.

You forgot the blue font. Mannion won't start unless Goff is hurt is that what you mean?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Understandably we are hyper sensitive to every good or bad moment.

It's particularly hard when my eyes (speaking for myself anyway) likes most of what I see... only to hear the media seemingly rooting against him for some odd reason.

Last I checked even Brady has had a series or two he'd like back. Imagine that!

fearsomefour

Legend
Patience, patience....
Still a work in progress.
This is why the run game and D is so important.
Goff had play well but isent ready to carry a team I am sure.