Goff vs. Wentz

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I don't deny that Goff is better in those areas but I think game film is a more reliable judge of skillsets than combine workouts or pro days. It also comes with a larger sample size.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Man o man. This is tough. Seems to me Goff looks a little more accurate but Wentz is such a physical specimen.
But I think we will be good either way. Sure glad I'm not GM making the decision.

Leuzer

Daniel Leu
It's not a question of whether Goff is more polished than Wentz.
He is and it's not even close.

The real question is do the Rams draft the all ready polished Goff or take a chance on the more physically attributed "and more potential" Wentz.

And it will stay that way for the next 2 weeks.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't deny that Goff is better in those areas but I think game film is a more reliable judge of skillsets than combine workouts or pro days. It also comes with a larger sample size.

Yeah, but if you look at game film Goff is head and shoulders above. I was just trying to show the difference in ball placement and footwork. Every ball that Goff throws is more accurate than the last. It's incredible. And a huge departure from the other QB who looks like he's aiming rather than throwing.... the difference is night and day between the two.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Can the Rams develop a QB? That's my worry, if they can go for Wentz, if they can't then Goff.

Goff is a week 4 starter. The other guy?

Doesn't matter who the NFL level coach is. Goff can see the field and throws dimes. You can't teach that.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There
Normally true...but tape on Wentz is pretty skimpy because of his hand injury in his last year. Even so, NDSU (?) is the big fish in a very small pond in that college division, where competition is so different than the NFL, how much is it worth really, except to say Wentz is talented? PAC-12 competition is much better when considering Goff's last year, but still no NFL. Goff has played in much higher stress environments on subpar teams, and never gave up. Having said that, I trust the Rams scouts to pick the best guy bnetween the two, and I will be satisfied. From my perspective however, it just seems Goff is more NFL ready and can gain weight (see Tom Brady's scrawny pre-NFL picture)

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
The one thing that bugs me the most. Wentz's highlights are mostly just him running the ball past high school kids for TDs. Goffs tape shows his passing ability is on another level. I take the skinny kid, and make him bulk up. Not the guy that has "potential". We take the guy that can play right away and win us games.

T-REX

"King of the tyrant lizards"
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The one thing that bugs me the most. Wentz's highlights are mostly just him running the ball past high school kids for TDs. Goffs tape shows his passing ability is on another level. I take the skinny kid, and make him bulk up. Not the guy that has "potential". We take the guy that can play right away and win us games.

Stop twisting my arm :sneaky:
giphy.gif

dolphinlover123

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Haha your post actually reminded me of Goff as a high schooler making couple of decent runs.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
Wentz has extremely enticing physical tools. I would say he is on Lucks' level Athletically. He combines that athleticism with plenty of experience playing under center and high level book smarts (40/50 wonderlic and 4.0 student).

The problem is level of competition and moreover the lack of experience. Luck started 3 years in College compared to Wentz's 1.5? It shows in Wentz's pocket presence, downfield accuracy, and general timing in the passing game. If he struggles with timing at the DIAA he definitely needs to time before being NFL ready.

On the other hand, as a 3 year starter Goff has a huge leg up in the finer nuances of the game. Even though Wentz is more athletic Goff's pocket mobility is way better. Goff understands the subtle pocket movements he needs to make to get in position to make accurate throws. Additionally even though Wentz has a better arm, Goff is the superior downfield passer.

At the moment I prefer Goff because he already displays many refined traits needed to succeed in the NFL. Wentz has the tools and the upside, but at the moment there is alot of projecting to do, so who knows if his game will ever be as refined as Goff's. Thats why I give Goff the slight edge, but I could understand picking Wentz. On the other hand maybe Wentz has shown the Rams he has all the intangibles needed to reach his full potential. If that is the case go with him because he has a higher ceiling.

Last edited:

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame

Brady is and always has been a skinny kid and has only 1 real injury in his career. I will take the skinny kid too, especially with that release.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
I'm really glad that I'm not the one that has to make this decision..If you get it right, you probably have a job with the Rams as long as you like...Bungle it and you become public enemy # 1 among Rams fans and are probably beating the bushes looking for work...

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Basically its these RODers
VS

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
To be fair, in those clips... They weren't making the same throws.

All of Goff's were short and intermediate.

Wentz included some deeper routes in that selected segment.

I am a Goff fan. But those videos aren't good comparisons.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Better tell Mojo you are on the wrong list (or I am), since we both prefer Goff....:lifting:

OnceARam

Hall of Fame

Look at the out and in patterns. Same routes for each of them. Also, it's a good thing they didn't compare deep balls because Goff throws nothing but DIMES.