Goff vs. ........Foles?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah, we know, or thought we knew, the story would always be Goff vs Wentz. I know there are are a lot of Wentz guys who still would have picked Wentz over Goff in their draft, but have settled on Goff because he's a Ram.

There is trouble in Philly....

It has been assumed and stated authoritatively that Wentz would come back and be the Iggles QB of the future. There have been schizophrenic stories that say "Yes, Wentz is ready" and also "Wentz is limping." Wentz himself says he's ready, but the medical prognosis for surgery recovery for an MCL injury as serious as Wentz's is about 12 months....That would be like, December 2018? Wouldn't it be wise to make Wentz wait for 4 weeks at lest to ensure the injury is healed, instead of risking his future?

Meanwhile, Super Bowl MVP Nick Foles is waiting on the bench. What if Foles goes 4-0 when Carson is supposedly ready to go? Can you buck a stacked deck like that if you're the HC? What if Wentz is rusty and throws 3 INTS in Week 5? Will Foles chants begins to ring out as Wentz struggles?

The real competition will be between two Rams QB's..one a former starter, and the other the hope of the Rams franchise....

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
I really doubt Wentz will be the same QB now. He will be more one-dimensional and easier to defend.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I really doubt Wentz will be the same QB now. He will be more one-dimensional and easier to defend.
There is more pressure on him now, for sure..imho.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Meanwhile, Super Bowl MVP Nick Foles is waiting on the bench. What if Foles goes 4-0 when Carson is supposedly ready to go? Can you buck a stacked deck like that if you're the HC? What if Wentz is rusty and throws 3 INTS in Week 5? Will Foles chants begins to ring out as Wentz struggles?

Tom Brady and Kurt Warner were born out of this type of situation.

Starter goes down. Out of nowhere the backup plays lights out and a title is achieved. Starter becomes healthy. What do you do now?

It's not an easy choice that's for sure!

IMO if Foles goes 4-0 the Eagles will trade him for a 1st rounder to a losing team, a handful of teams will be calling. Especially after he killed it in the playoffs through SB last year. He really only looked bad when playing for the Rams with a shit OC and no weapons other than Gurley.

IMO Wentz is going to have a short career and is already past his salad days. If I am the Philly GM I'm keeping Foles, who isn't 30 yet, unless a great trade deal comes along.

I would have no confidence in Wentz staying around long term. He's slender for his height and slender running QB's don't seem to stick around a long time.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Tom Brady and Kurt Warner were born out of this type of situation.

Starter goes down. Out of nowhere the backup plays lights out and a title is achieved. Starter becomes healthy. What do you do now?

It's not an easy choice that's for sure!

IMO if Foles goes 4-0 the Eagles will trade him for a 1st rounder to a losing team, a handful of teams will be calling. Especially after he killed it in the playoffs through SB last year. He really only looked bad when playing for the Rams with a crap OC and no weapons other than Gurley.

IMO Wentz is going to have a short career and is already past his salad days. If I am the Philly GM I'm keeping Foles, who isn't 30 yet, unless a great trade deal comes along.

I would have no confidence in Wentz staying around long term. He's slender for his height and slender running QB's don't seem to stick around a long time.
Imagine the angst in Philly if Foles was traded, after 4-0...and then Wentz got injured because they rushed him in too soon....? lol

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I don't see Wentz losing his job. Even if Foles is having a great year, I still think the iggles go back to Wentz when he's healthy.
I certainly wouldn't rush him, though.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think y'all are writing off Wentz too quickly. Guy has to change his style of play, but his injury isn't a career ender or alterer.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think y'all are writing off Wentz too quickly. Guy has to change his style of play, but his injury isn't a career ender or alterer.
But can he change? He has his style, and was injured in college and the pro's playing that way...I think he will be very good, although his career lifespan will be short. And as of now, he has zero playoff experience, and Foles has won a Super Bowl.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
I don't expect Wentz to have a long career if he continues playing Houdini. Defenses will be looking to hurt him this time around and Pederson's current play calling with the RPO is expected to have viable countermeasures.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
While I understand that Jesus would struggle to push a stroller through a peaceful garden via Jeff Fisher's guidance ... Nick Freaking Foles?!

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
While I understand that Jesus would struggle to push a stroller through a peaceful garden via Jeff Fisher's guidance ... Nick Freaking Foles?!
Are you really arguing the abilities of a Super Bowl MVP?

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Chance Wentz loses his job to Napolian?

Doubt it unless he ends up getting into another freak injury that affects his performance, long-term like RG3. Pederson masked a lot of Foles's weaknesses and scheming can only get you so far

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
Once you have been a running QB, and that is at least temporarily taken away from you, the tendency is for the QB to not feel as comfortable in the pocket as he did before, at least for a while. It is something Wentz will have to deal with mentally. Some deal with it just fine, others don't, ruining them as a starting QB. There will be an adjustment period for Wentz, but in the end I think he'll be fine. However it probably won't be this year.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Doubt it unless he ends up getting into another freak injury that affects his performance, long-term like RG3. Pederson masked a lot of Foles's weaknesses and scheming can only get you so far
It got them to a Super Bowl win...that's pretty d@mn far...lol

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
It got them to a Super Bowl win...that's pretty d@mn far...lol

Referring to the big picture beyond a Super Bowl win. I expect teams not to sleep on the Iggles regardless of who's QB this time around with the film teams have on them now.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If Foles goes 4-0 he will get a nice pat on the rear end when Wentz comes in.
Period.
In reality, Wentz will start game #1

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If Foles goes 4-0 he will get a nice pat on the rear end when Wentz comes in.
Period.
In reality, Wentz will start game #1
Probably, because the pressure on him to do so will be intense from without, and within. I wish I could give credit to the interview,which was the impetus for this thread, because they discussed the recovery time of serious MCL injuries like Wentz suffered. The absolute minimum amount of recovery time was twelve months, and that was just when he could begin to play football. Even at 12 months, there is more work to do, just to get back to normal.

Wentz was injured December 11, 2017 and the Eagles first game is September 6, 2018. Yeah, he could play 10 months after the injury, but he and the Eagles are taking a massive risk.

Last edited: