Goff Trade Up

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Actually, I didn't think either one of them were worthy of trading all that draft capital up for, but I did prefer Wentz to Goff and still believe that he was the better fit for a Jeff Fisher team as Goff is a better fit for a McVay team. But, McVay wasn't the coach when the selection was made.

And that's the rub. So many seem to be reading in between the lines while looking for ulterior motives instead of just reading and going with what has actually been stated.

That sounds an awful lot like what you're still arguing for Goff. It's almost like you're trying to justify that opinion.

I don't believe that I'm diminishing Goff. I believe that he's played well for his tenure and he's even making me money in daily fantasy football. I'm just not at the point where I can blindly say that he is the reason for the offensive turnaround when I see that that circumstances around him are what most, if not all, QBs would dream. And again, saying that any average QB would thrive under such a dream scenario (is this not so???) was not a direct comparison to the exact results provided thus far with the Rams. If one wanted to go there, some of these average QBs might have better numbers in Goff's exact shoes and some might not. But, that was besides the point for anyone not quick to want to defend Goff at all costs.

Can you give us a list of these average QBs in order to help us figure our where Goff stands in your eyes?

Sorry, but I'm just not convinced that this is a Andrew Luck, Deshaun Watson, Aaron Rodgers type of situation whereas if Goff went down the season would be over like it appears to be for the teams of those players.

I'm glad we don't have to figure out the answer to this question, but it's an awfully convenient explanation because there's no way to figure this out unless Goff gets injured.

However, fact is that the Patriots won without Tom Brady when he missed the entire 2008 season and missed four games in 2016 (they went 14-6 in those 20 games). Is that really the appropriate way to evaluate QB impact?

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
If Goff would go down or any QB for that matter, the fate of the team is based more on how good your back up is and how good the team is. Like can your D carry part of the load?

I think the Rams could survive and win enough remaining games to make the playoffs, but that is more of a comentary on their improving defense and the thought that Mannion could someday be a solid starter or at least a top flight back up QB.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
what is the point of all this and other contributions in this thread?

Crazy right?
Goff is the 1st Rams QB to be named offensive player of the week in over 10 years.
Glad someone sees things with clarity.

Memphis Ram

Legend
what is the point of all this and other contributions in this thread?

It's funny. I made the following statement:

In the end, QBs get too much credit and too much blame. And it's clear to me that the Rams offensive resurgence has more to do with McVay/LaFleur, the Oline upgrade, and all the weapons than it has to do with Goff. I find it hard to believe that any average QB put in this situation couldn't thrive. In time, I hope Goff grows into being the clear difference, but he's not there yet.

And I've been told that I seem to believe things, many of which, have never cross my mind and I responded when I probably should not have responded. Message board blues.

Wut???

You said you were not willing to say that "Goff was the reason for the turnaround"

That is suggesting that other people here are stating that.. So c'mon..

No. I thought that I was merely providing a counter to my own position in an effort to make a point. I would have said so otherwise. But, apparently you know me better than myself somehow. Philly you've been wrong regarding my take this entire thread. Please stop.

@jrry32
Sounds like this, seems like that. Just go with the words and stop reading between the lines. We've derailed this thread enough. I'm going to go watch the game.

Last edited:

nighttrain

Legend
But Goff is a BIG reason our offense is #1 in points scored, and average QB couldn't' get it done
train

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
@jrry32
Sounds like this, seems like that. Just go with the words and stop reading between the lines. We've derailed this thread enough. I'm going to go watch the game.

Okay, I'll go with the words. You think Goff is an average QB who isn't the one pushing our offense over the top. Now, do us all a favor and let us know where Goff fits with his current play amongst QBs in the NFL. What QBs are better? What QBs are equal? What QBs are worse?

You've been purposefully vague while strongly implying that we're all being homers for thinking highly of Goff. Let us know what you think of him by telling us where he fits in currently amongst NFL starting QBs. That way, we can understand where you're coming from on this issue.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I don't believe that I'm diminishing Goff. I believe that he's played well for his tenure and he's even making me money in daily fantasy football. I'm just not at the point where I can blindly say that he is the reason for the offensive turnaround when I see that that circumstances around him are what most, if not all, QBs would dream. And again, saying that any average QB would thrive under such a dream scenario (is this not so???) was not a direct comparison to the exact results provided thus far with the Rams. If one wanted to go there, some of these average QBs might have better numbers in Goff's exact shoes and some might not. But, that was besides the point for anyone not quick to want to defend Goff at all costs.

Sorry, but I'm just not convinced that this is a Andrew Luck, Deshaun Watson, Aaron Rodgers type of situation whereas if Goff went down the season would be over like it appears to be for the teams of those players.

Not sure ANY average QB would thrive under this scenario, but many, for sure, without doubt. When I look back on Marc Bulger's career prior to being 'Bulgerized', I do believe he definitely would have 'thrived' in similar circumstances to Goff's early 2017 career. Like Goff last season, having no reliable OL or receivers, Marc suffered the same fate for many seasons. Bulger was known for his accuracy like Goff, and although he didn't have a similar resume, he also had no protection and was eventually pounded to dust. Bradford might have been on the same train to no-where had he not escaped, and how many seasons like Goff's 2016 would he have managed to absorb if McVay hadn't come around to save his butt ? Goff is an excellent QB, I couldn't be happier that he is on my team, I prefer him over Wentz, but it does take a complete team effort which requires more skill players than just a single QB to rise above the median. Only two years in, both QB's may very well end up as consistently top players in the league. jmo.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
In the end, QBs get too much credit and too much blame. And it's clear to me that the Rams offensive resurgence has more to do with McVay/LaFleur, the Oline upgrade, and all the weapons than it has to do with Goff. I find it hard to believe that any average QB put in this situation couldn't thrive. In time, I hope Goff grows into being the clear difference, but he's not there yet.
The first line of this statement is true.
The second line is subjective, but can also be true.
The third line - I dunno. Average QBs are average for a reason.
The last line is true, but that's not an indictment. He's good, but can soon be great.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Crazy right?
Goff is the 1st Rams QB to be named offensive player of the week in over 10 years.
Glad someone sees things with clarity.

And most of us love him for that and what he's done with the team through the half way point of the season. And unfortunately for some others it's never going to be good enough. That's why the Suh vs Bradford type threads like this will never go away.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Average QB don't get it done, we've had average, not good
train

Jared Goff's statistical rankings
Passing Yards - 10th
Completion Percentage - 29th
Yards Per Attempt - 3rd (he's 0.02 yards behind Alex Smith)
Passing TDs - T8th
Ints - T6th (minimum 100 attempts)
Passer Rating - 9th

I don't really care what someone labels Goff. He's a 23-year-old, second-year QB who is in the top 10 in almost every major QB stat. We're the #1 offense. We're #1 in our division. We're 6-2 for the first time since 2001.

Call Goff whatever you want. I fucking love the kid, and I believe wholeheartedly that we have our franchise QB.(then again, I've believed that since we drafted him)

jap

Legend
Passing Yards - 10th
Passing TDs - T8th
Passer Rating - 9th

I don't really care what someone labels Goff. He's a 23-year-old, second-year QB who is in the top 10 in almost every major QB stat. We're the #1 offense. We're #1 in our division. We're 6-2 for the first time since 2001.

Call Goff whatever you want. I freaking love the kid, and I believe wholeheartedly that we have our franchise QB.(then again, I've believed that since we drafted him)

HOMER!!!

TexasRam

Legend
Passing Yards - 10th
Passing TDs - T8th
Passer Rating - 9th

Call Goff whatever you want. I freaking love the kid, and I believe wholeheartedly that we have our franchise QB.(then again, I've believed that since we drafted him)

Not to mention the WR’s he is working with are first year in the system and one (Watkins) missed the entire offseason and has slowed the offense running wrong routes and being out of synch with the offense.

Two of his primary targets are rookies (Everett and Kupp).

I can count off the top of my head 7 dropped TD passes by these first year WR’s. Woods (Dal and Wash game), Everett (both in Dallas game), Kupp (Seattle and Giants), Higbee(Niners).

You also have many blowout wins where the Rams went into clock burn mode at either the 3rd or 4th quarter (Cards, Giants) or the kneel down at the10 yard
Line in the Niners game.

Goff could have 20 TD 4 int with a little help by some young WR’s still learning the system and dropping some balls.

Not to say Goff is perfect or won’t have some bad games, but for those that watch the games, his stats don’t justify his excellent play thus far.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
. That's why the Suh vs Bradford type threads like this will never go away
At least with those, Bradford was disappointing and the Rams were losing. So the debate with him was always that he was better than his numbers showed.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Okay, I'll go with the words. You think Goff is an average QB who isn't the one pushing our offense over the top. Now, do us all a favor and let us know where Goff fits with his current play amongst QBs in the NFL. What QBs are better? What QBs are equal? What QBs are worse?

You've been purposefully vague while strongly implying that we're all being homers for thinking highly of Goff. Let us know what you think of him by telling us where he fits in currently amongst NFL starting QBs. That way, we can understand where you're coming from on this issue.

No jrry32. No jrry32. NO. NO. NO.:banghead:

You (and some others) are still reading in between the lines and somehow can't see it.

While I don't believe Goff is a difference maker, capable of overcoming poorer circumstances yet (if he gets there), I don't think Goff is an average QB. So your premise is and has been wrong from the very beginning.

Good grief. Let's try this another way. Take one QB. Anyone you want. Hey, you can even use Goff.

Which offense performs better?

The offense with a stud offensive coordinator / play caller, strong running game, and loads of weapons? Or the offense that lacks one or more of those attributes?

Do you get it now? Wouldn't the average QB thrive more under the former vs. the latter? And for the 3rd time (if not the 4th) in this thread, I wasn't saying that said average QB would thrive more or less than Goff has with the Rams this year. Some could and some might not. It's impossible to tell and besides the point. I just that said an average QB would thrive under the former. Shouldn't he? If not, then he isn't even average. ie. Goff is in a good situation.

I don't know how to make it any more clear.:dizzy:

Memphis Ram

Legend
The first line of this statement is true.
The second line is subjective, but can also be true.
The third line - I dunno. Average QBs are average for a reason.
The last line is true, but that's not an indictment. He's good, but can soon be great.

Bless you.

IMO, a QB that couldn't have success with a good OC/play call, strong running game, and loads of weapons can't really be considered an average QB.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Bless you.

IMO, a QB that couldn't have success with a good OC/play call, strong running game, and loads of weapons can't really be considered an average QB.
Then there is no such thing as an above average QB. They all struggle without what you just listed proving how silly this debate against Goff is. I hope you and your brother in crime can actually enjoy a Rams game at some point. The rest of us are loving this team.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I can't believe this thread still exists. Even the haters like Heath Evans are saying "Keep proving me wrong, Jared"

Ok, he will.

Scirca

Rookie
No jrry32. No jrry32. NO. NO. NO.:banghead:

You (and some others) are still reading in between the lines and somehow can't see it.

While I don't believe Goff is a difference maker, capable of overcoming poorer circumstances yet (if he gets there), I don't think Goff is an average QB. So your premise is and has been wrong from the very beginning.

Good grief. Let's try this another way. Take one QB. Anyone you want. Hey, you can even use Goff.

Which offense performs better?

The offense with a stud offensive coordinator / play caller, strong running game, and loads of weapons? Or the offense that lacks one or more of those attributes?

Do you get it now? Wouldn't the average QB thrive more under the former vs. the latter? And for the 3rd time (if not the 4th) in this thread, I wasn't saying that said average QB would thrive more or less than Goff has with the Rams this year. Some could and some might not. It's impossible to tell and besides the point. I just that said an average QB would thrive under the former. Shouldn't he? If not, then he isn't even average. ie. Goff is in a good situation.

I don't know how to make it any more clear.:dizzy:

What is the matter with you? If Kupp makes that catch against the Seahawks, you're whole thesis doesn't exist.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
DecimalWindyHyracotherium-max-1mb.gif