Goff superior to Wentz (long)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I go back and forth on these two QB's.:dizzy:But I'm still leaning Wentz because of his running capabilities and his up-side!:yess: But I'll be Happy whichever way the Draft goes!!:hiding:

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I am curious, do you play Madden a lot? Where stats like speed and arm strength win out? Is there some Germanic connection I am missing? Were you a cheerleader in a former life? I understand you like Wentz, for exactly the same reasons as members of the 'NFL crew' and other posters here, but come on, you don't see a franchise QB in Goff? I like Wentz, but having read, watched and listened to the prospects themselves and those closest, it is not close for me. I would not trade up from 15 to 1 for Wentz. I would not feel as comfortable as you projecting greatness on to him

Consider this question... If Peyton Manning was in this draft, would you take Wentz no.1 because he is taller, faster and has a stronger arm, because he fits a system that ranked as one of the worst in NFL history, because he aced the wonderlic? I don't see too many flaws in Goff... I loved Manning coming out, wished we had the no.1 when Luck arrived, wanted Bradford, but would not have traded from 15 for him. If we draft Goff, I will consider this trade a masterful stroke

I don't play Madden and other than a few casual attempts (half hour at a friends), never interested me. I'm a WoW player... or was...

I think Goff is a fine individual, an excellent prospect and will make an excellent pro QB.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Forget highlight reels.
Go back and watch actual games of Goff the past 2 years.
He has almost always had to play from behind. With no defense, offensive line or running game.

He's the guy we need to win a game when down in the 4th quarter.
Give Goff a running game, pass protection and a good defense and he'd be deadly for opposing teams.

Highlight reels: Even Tim Tebow looked good on the highlight reels.... sorry, that wasn't helpful. Still, highlight reels really skew things. They do show what a player is capable of, but don't really help in creating a complete picture. So, if you want to get excited about a player, highlight reels can be awesome. For the whole picture? They're only good for a part and it's really important not to color outside the lines.

Pretty sure that's what I said... /shrug. Highlight reels have limited use.

I like Goff. I like Wentz. I happen to like Wentz better than Goff, but it doesn't mean I don't like Goff.

Somehow, this has morphed into Thunderdome. "Two men enter, one man leaves..."

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Yeah, the guy who hasn't gotten less than an A in his entire life is clearly a lunkhead. :rolleyes:

What's so impressive? The velocity, the touch, the arm strength from several different bases, completely effortless throwing motion on the run and in the pocket. But sure, let's make a big deal about the guy fighting for a few extra yards (and getting them), stick our fingers in our ears and refuse to have a reasonable discussion.

So you expect to have a reasonable discussion on a Rams fan forum?

:shades:

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It might be all the coffee I just drank, but I am starting to get ill thinking about this pick. It's so critical that the Rams get this right on several different levels. I can find different reasons why I like both...I also recognize the talent we have on the Rams right now that will soon be needing that 2nd contract, so we need the QB that is more NFL ready. I have heard "experts" on tv and radio explain that each is NFL ready. Considering everything, the young Jared Goff is wicked fast in getting off an accurate strike and has great pocket awareness. He goes through progressions fast, and often hits his 3rd option, without locking on his target for long (if at all). Goff has never had a decent Oline nor a franchise RB like Gurley to relieve the pressure. Even though Wentz comes from small school that played in an NFL system, I just think Goff has been through much more than Wentz. I think Wentz has the higher ceiling, but the floor for Goff is pretty damn high from day one, and his ceiling is very high too....and he's two years younger than Wentz....

I will be happy with either, but I feel that in the end, Goff is our guy.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
I know I’m late to the Goff/Wentz debate-fest, but I gotta get this off my chest.

To me, Goff looks special. Wentz looks like he could be “very good.”

If the Rams choose Goff, I will be thrilled. If they choose Wentz, I will be terribly disappointed. For those of you in the Wentz camp, hear me out, then please explain to me why I shouldn’t be disappointed if they go with Wentz.

HIGHLIGHT REELS: I was split between the two QB’s-- until I watched the tape. Over and over again, Goff has that WOW factor. After watching these two highlight reels it is hard for me to understand how people can think these 2 QB’s are in the same conversation. Wentz, with a CLEAN POCKET, throws with “decent” accuracy (receiver makes slight adjustment); Goff, sliding in the pocket as bodies crash around him, delivers STRIKES. Lots of highlight reels out there, but these two (shortish) clips highlight the difference in arm talent.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEGafktM5r4

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7oT3PpE_Rw

ACCURACY. As others have noted, Goff just throws “dimes.” Unbelievable accuracy, and CONSISTENT. Heck, many of his incompletions and even INT’s bounced off his receivers’ hands.

ANTICIPATION: With Goff, just unreal. A special player. Another poster somewhere pointed out this one particular play-- an incompletion no less, from his “worst” game, vs. Utah. Just do me a favor: fast forward to the play at the 4:30 mark. PAUSE the tape at 4:32. Look at the screenshot. Then go ahead one second and pause it at 4:33. You’ll see what I mean.

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/jared-goff-vs-utah-2015/

POCKET PRESENCE: Goff’s Number ONE attribute. For those who compare him to Bradford—he’s the polar opposite in this regard. Based on a recommendation from max, I checked out this breakdown from Matt Waldman. Goff has amazing peripheral vision and footwork:

https://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2016/03/15/rsp-boiler-room-no-29-qb-jared-goff-pocket-presence/

RUNNING. OK, no doubt, here is where Wentz is superior to Goff. However—when I see Wentz run, I don’t see ‘special.” I guess I am biased against FCS level (division 1-A, whatever) competition. The word I’d use is “lumbering.” Mainly, Wentz does NOT look like a guy whose priority is to protect himself, he’s looking for somebody to hit and bowl over. Serious concerns to me about Wentz’ ability to stay healthy. Goff, on the other hand, looks like he can pick up yards when needed, but knows how to protect himself.

ARM STRENGTH: OK, this is the ONLY area where I watched Wentz and thought “Wow.” But the goal is to win a Super Bowl, not Combine Drill Championship. For me, this is the ONLY area where a case can be made to pick Wentz over Goff. If people think Wentz’s arm strength is so superior that it would result in a difference in how defenses play us—great, I’d love to hear it.

RELEASE: Again, with Goff, it’s “Wow.” I routinely think, “How did he get it out so fast?” Wentz looks quick, but Goff looks quicker. Goff just CHUCKS it, even on bombs, while Wentz seems to “wind up” more often.

PAJAMA OLYMPICS: Again, for sake of comparison, I present highlights from their Combine performances side-by-side. When I watch Goff, I think—“Wow, every single throw spot on, receiver never has to break stride.” Wentz: “Yeah, most of the throws are spot on, but he missed a couple.”

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oagfYhvOB6I

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YIocD_0E0s

PROGRESSIONS: Over and over again I see Goff going to his third option and throwing a strike. Admittedly I’ve watched less tape of Wentz, just doesn’t seem to me I’ve seen this as much.

STATS: No comparison. Are you kidding me? Yardage wise, a career day for Wentz (335 yards or so) was an average day for Goff. And Goff threw for almost as many TD’s (43) in his senior season as Wentz did (45) in his entire career. (A cherry-picked stat, but still….).

THE NUMBER CRUNCHERS: The stat geeks have spoken, and they all seem to prefer Goff. By a lot. Found this article by Ian Wharton (don’t know him, but he took the time to catalogue every single throw by the top 4 QB’s during 2015). Wharton’s stats confirmed what my eyes told me: Goff’s accuracy was far superior to Wentz.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2604748-why-jared-goff-is-the-next-franchise-quarterback

And Football Outsiders gives Wentz a far-higher “bust” potential than Goff:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2016/qbase-2016

RESUME: Wentz sat on the bench his first two years. (If he was “all that”, wouldn’t he have cracked the starting lineup sooner?). Goff was ALWAYS the Golden Kid, the Chosen One, and performed remarkably well as a true freshman on a terrible team. And Goff is 21, Wentz is 23.

LEVEL OF COMPETITION: Again, no contest. Admittedly, I have a higher expectation for Wentz—I don’t see that “man among boys” quality I’d expect from him in FCS football. SIZE? Yes, Wentz he seems bigger and stronger. SPEED? No. Wentz does NOT look NFL-level fast when going through his progressions. And here’s a key for me—how would the Bison do without Wentz? Well just fine, they went undefeated when he was out (I think). How would Cal do without Goff? I suspect they would fall apart. When I see Cal, I see a team with no running game, a porous Offensive Line, and a horrific D (I think Cal D surrendered over 30 points a game all 3 years Goff was there).

INJURY HISTORY: I acknowledge Goff separated his shoulder, and had a sprained ankle at one point-- but Goff never missed a game in either high school OR college. As for Wentz—yes, of course he missed 8 games when he broke his wrist as a senior. AND—one of the reasons he ended up at ND State and was not a big-time recruit—he lost an entire year of playing QB in high school due to an arm injury (played other positions instead). So to recap, for major injuries that cost significant time: Wentz two, Goff zero.

INTANGIBLES: I’ve watched the interviews with both Gruden and Mariucci for both guys. What I see: Wentz is smart and looking to say the right things. Goff looks like he “knows it” and doesn’t have anything to prove. I look at their body language at the Combine, and to my eyes, when Wentz nails it, I see “Yes, I knew I could measure up at this level!” and when he misses I see, “Dangit Carson, try harder.” With Goff, as ALL of his throws were strikes, I just see “Yup, confirming what I knew all along.”

BOTTOM LINE: When I watch Jared Goff’s college tape, I get the same reaction as when I watched Aaron Donald’s college tape. Many times I thought “WOW—how did he do that!??!!” And then, even more shocking, it becomes ROUTINE. The more you watch Goff’s tape, the more you realize he does the amazing REPEATEDLY and CONSISTENTLY. And it’s the same damn knock for both Donald and Goff: "Yeah, but he’s a little small for the position.” For both Goff and Donald, it’s demonstrably not true.

To me, Goff looks Super Bowls, Wentz looks Playoffs. Wentz has “It”, Goff has IT.

FINAL DISCLAIMER: I acknowledge I could be wrong about EVERYTHING in this long post, I’ve been horribly wrong about the Rams plenty of times. Maybe Goff is weak-armed and too skinny and he’ll have trouble adjusting to a pro-style offense and all his good habits will get knocked out of him. Maybe Wentz will be a solid stud for years to come.

But right now, I have my heart set on Goff, and I’ll have to drink lots of Kool-Aid if they surprise me and go with Wentz. For Wentz supporters, feel free to disagree with me, I know we all just want what’s best for our Rams!

Nice job man! I'm a huge Goff supporter, because all he does is throw Dimes, but I appreciated you bringing up even more fuel for the fire...

RGIII was a good runner who didn't know how to take a hit either....

:fuelfire:

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Highlight reels: Even Tim Tebow looked good on the highlight reels.... sorry, that wasn't helpful. Still, highlight reels really skew things. They do show what a player is capable of, but don't really help in creating a complete picture. So, if you want to get excited about a player, highlight reels can be awesome. For the whole picture? They're only good for a part and it's really important not to color outside the lines.

Pretty sure that's what I said... /shrug. Highlight reels have limited use.

I like Goff. I like Wentz. I happen to like Wentz better than Goff, but it doesn't mean I don't like Goff.

Somehow, this has morphed into Thunderdome. "Two men enter, one man leaves..."
I was actually agreeing with you about the highlight reels. Sometimes the intent gets lost in text.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
A big problem I have with Goff is that he doesnt have a winning record. He is 13-23 in his career, now I know that's not totally his fault but it's still a losing record. This is just one guys opinion but it's pretty damning.
http://sportsnaut.com/2016/03/nfc-scout-jared-goff-hes-another-jay-cutler/
Wentz on the other hand has won championships his whole life. He didn't have the stats that Goff did because it was a different style offense.

I have to disagree. Goff took a gawd awful Cal program and almost single-handedly brought them to a winning record and respectability with one receiver and no defense and no offensive line and no running game. No, he didn't get to play in any huge games and no he didn't have a winning record, but considering he started 1-11 and the talent level at Cal, the fact they went 8-5 his junior year is beyond impressive. Watch what they look like this year. Mike Silver's gonna be cryin' in his chardonnay, that's for sure...

Goff and Wentz were just at different stages of the programs. Goff started at the program's nadir. There are different pressures in reviving a program than maintaining a winning tradition. Not better or worse, just different. There are some dudes who are good at one and not the other. Some are great winning and maintaining winning, but not at building. Some are great at building, but not maintaining. A few can do both. Most can do neither.

I give credit to both QBs for successfully proving that they could do one of them. That is already a feat. Few QBs drastically improve a program like Goff did.

He deserves all the credit in the world for that.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame

T-REX

"King of the tyrant lizards"
Rams On Demand Sponsor
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I'm not gonna get sucked in to this

I'm not gonna get sucked in to this

Ok - I'm in.

Someone tell me why we can expect Goff to win at the NFL level when he did so little of it in college? I know his team stunk, he had no o line, no WRs, piss poor defense,, etc - but haven't we had a great QB who couldn't win with a subpar cast already here? Can anyone name a QB whose teams lost as much as Cal did who turned into a star at the NFL level?

And for the record - I already know the counterpoint here. Goff is the reason that they ever won any games - he got them to a bowl game. He turned that program around by himself. And all of that is true.

I see a kid who can move in the pocket, can make every throw, and can take hit after hit and keep going. I like him - I do. But someone talk to me about the winning.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
He's got great footwork.

He can make all the throws.

Oh... and they've already made up their mind.

There's that...

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Can anyone name a QB whose teams lost as much as Cal did who turned into a star at the NFL level?
Elway, Peyton, Eli....they're close...but Cal lost games...

Like a bunch, I'm all in on Wentz...several reasons...mainly the way he was on the whiteboard, plus his college offense. And some of the throws he made, Goff can only dream about. He'll require teams to have to defend the entire field...no more Britt/Austin/Quick running open downfield, out of reach of the QB...

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Elway, Peyton, Eli....they're close...but Cal lost games...

Like a bunch, I'm all in on Wentz...several reasons...mainly the way he was on the whiteboard, plus his college offense. And some of the throws he made, Goff can only dream about. He'll require teams to have to defend the entire field...no more Britt/Austin/Quick running open downfield, out of reach of the QB...

And that doesn't even take into account the several (was it 3 or 4) literally last minute come from behind wins, couple of which were in the playoffs. Funny... all of the come from behind victories, they were behind by 4 points. I think it was 4 different games, but I lose track. Anyway, super clutch. I don't recall him NOT winning in the clutch.

That's big to me.

To me, Fisher has a chance to succeed at being the next Pittsburgh or failing at being the next New Orleans (because they don't know how to be that complex on offense).

Seems easy enough to me, but I'm down thinking that they'll go with Goff.

I don't get it, but that's the way I think they'll go.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
unfortunately it will only get worse.

i'm not gonna hang my hat on one of the qbs. i think wentz will be better for the rams right now but i have no idea if he's the better qb or not.

in the end the rams will pick the qb who they feel will be better for them and i will be behind them 100%.

all this debate over which qb to take has convinced me that the one we don't take will go to the whiners. that just makes me sick. I wonder if we could trade up again and get them both just kidding

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
If it makes you feel any better, I'm pretty sure the Rams take Goff and the Eagles trade up to #2 and get Wentz.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Seems easy enough to me, but I'm down thinking that they'll go with Goff.
Geez Mac, I hope not....they're watching the same tape, the same late game, 3rd down throws.....dude is money when it matters....