Goff Observations

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JoeYiZy

UDFA
First of all, I know it is way too early and way too little reps to get much of a read but it's Week 1 of Preseason, so entertain me.

That being said, a few observations from Goff's first NFL game.

1. He was taking way too long to process the play on his first drive. We can blame the OLine for that INT but in my opinion, that's on him. Took too long before deciding to throw there.

2. He showed some balls on his second (and last) drive. Made quicker decisions and threw some strikes with perfect accuracy.

3. He looked to be in command of the offense. On one play, he was yelling at a receiver to get his butt on the other side of the field. On another play, he audibled to a pass play and completed a nice pass to Higbee.

4. Already seeing some really nice chemistry with Higbee. Higbee was definitely the brightest spot in this game for the Rams.

5. That throw to Cooper was beautiful. Wasn't a perfect spiral but it hit him right on the hands. He has to catch that.

6. Not Goff related but GRob looked pretty solid in the limited time he was out there. Didn't make an glaring errors. We really need him to be a good LT if we are going to avoid being some 7-9 BS.

7. Lastly, our WR's are horrible. Very disheartening performance. Completely unacceptable.

All in all, it's preseason. I know some people were pissed that we didn't practice our 2 minute drill with Goff, but I actually agree with the decision. No reason to reveal our playbook in that position. Or to put Goff in danger especially when he's being protected by our 2nd string Oline.

Last edited:

Bluesy

Reppin' the Rams since 2000
Name
Kyle
I agree with you on most of these points, #1 especially. I've noticed in some of Goff's practice highlights he seems to be hesitating and taking too long to get rid of the ball. I think he'll get the ball out quicker as he gets more used to the speed and the offense.

#4 - Higbe is gonna be a great TE. Caught everything tonight, unlike out other receivers. I'm really excited to see what he can do. I have a feeling he'll be our #1 TE by the end of the season.

Not gonna lie, I was extremely disappointed with how the starters looked. Cynicism aside, no one has been injured so I'm not gonna complain.

RAMSinLA

Hall of Fame
I like what I saw. He played well under a rush normally reserved for a regular season game. The boys were bringing it. Nice pass dropped would have set up a score. Goff seemed to grimace a bit after that last hit and is why he was pulled early...imo

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Goff was a lot better than he looked if factor in he was handcuffed by the play calling. When he was allowed to open it up a bit, then he looked much better, except then his WRs dropped the ball. I remain more concerned about Groh's passing scheme (probably more accurately what Fisher will let Groh do) than I do about Goff.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Goff was a lot better than he looked if factor in he was handcuffed by the play calling. When he was allowed to open it up a bit, then he looked much better, except then his WRs dropped the ball. I remain more concerned about Groh's passing scheme (probably more accurately what Fisher will let Groh do) than I do about Goff.

One of the knocks on Goff coming out was his lack of accuracy near the line of scrimmage and that he seemed more accurate mid-field. Something he'll have to work on.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
IMO WRs made him look a lot worse than he should have. Keenum was dinking and dunking in an efficient way, but Goff was actually throwing the ball downfield. I also liked the new look of the offense alot more spread and quick hitting with the TEs flexed and RBs heavily involved.

Take a closer look at his incompletions as I remember

1. Mike Thomas terrible drop.
2. Waited too long tried to dump to pharoh, would have been a tough catch in traffic (but that's exactly what you expect out of a slot WR)
3. Held the ball to a little too long and was hit as he threw picked.
4. Deep shot Quick with safety over the top, so not a terrible incompletion out of bounds would have been an elite bucket throw if he completed it.
5. Best ball of the night bullet over the middle over the LBs between the safeties to pharoh and he can't hold on after the hit. Cooper holds on here its a whole different story.

I am actually encouraged by the new look offense and I would have liked to see Goff play more because he was the only QB throwing downfield.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Put Higbee and spruce on the field at the same time and the drop rate will go down by 50%.

Goff needs more reps and get acclimated to the speed but that will happen in time. He is just a rookie and they will make mistakes and hold on to long at times. Overall I liked what I saw and just wish he had been in a bit longer.

Last edited:

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Fisher mentioned after game Goff's non-throwing shoulder got banged up a bit, so he didn't want to push him.

KDS73

Rookie
Only thing I didn't like was that there seemed to be no urgency in him. Not even during the two minute drill. But, only first preseason game blah,blah,blah.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Only thing I didn't like was that there seemed to be no urgency in him. Not even during the two minute drill. But, only first preseason game blah,blah,blah.
Well the blah blah blah is important, despite the ESPN crew's commentary. I fully agreed with not running the 2-minute drill there. The goal was not to win the game, but to get the necessary work accomplished. Imagine Goff killed because someone whiffed on a blocking assignment due to a miscommunication when rushing a 2 minute drill, would not be smart. Plenty of places to criticize the coaching but I don't agree with this one.

rdw

Pro Bowler
What you see as no urgency I see as calm, poised and under control. Didn't get happy feet and wasn't captain check down..

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Like to see some reps between Goff and Spruce; dude's basically Amendola 2.0.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
One of the knocks on Goff coming out was his lack of accuracy near the line of scrimmage and that he seemed more accurate mid-field. Something he'll have to work on.
I'm college he was insanely good in the red zone.

KDS73

Rookie
Well the blah blah blah is important, despite the ESPN crew's commentary. I fully agreed with not running the 2-minute drill there. The goal was not to win the game, but to get the necessary work accomplished. Imagine Goff killed because someone whiffed on a blocking assignment due to a miscommunication when rushing a 2 minute drill, would not be smart. Plenty of places to criticize the coaching but I don't agree with this one.

It wasn't just the two minute drill. He needs to work on getting the ball out quicker. That's what caused the interception, and even caused him to banged up a little apparently.