Goff makes progress during Rams scrimmage at the Coliseum

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
Jared Goff continues to make progress during Rams scrimmage at the Coliseum

750x422

Rams quarterback Jared Goff takes aim at a receiver during a team scrimmage Saturday at the Coliseum. (Gina Ferazzi / Los Angeles Times)

By Gary Klein

He has yet to take a first-team snap in a training-camp practice. He has not stared across the line of scrimmage at middle linebacker Alec Ogletree, felt pressure from two-time Pro Bowl tackle Aaron Donald or tried to fit a pass by franchise cornerback Trumaine Johnson.

But Rams rookie quarterback Jared Goff is making progress.

He took another step Saturday during a workout at the Coliseum, which doubled as a showcase before tens of thousands of fans.

“I’m starting to settle in a little bit,” Goff said.

The crowd cheered just about every move the Rams made during a 2 1/2-hour workout that ended with players signing autographs.

The Coliseum, home to USC, was outfitted with Rams signage.

“Walking down the tunnel for the first time, for some of these guys, was a cool experience,” said Coach Jeff Fisher, who played defensive back at USC and coached in the stadium as an NFL assistant.

Goff was the main attraction for many fans.

He ran onto the field to cheers and received more after he completed a long pass to rookie receiver Michael Thomas. Goff was nearly perfect during a two-minute drill that ended with a touchdown pass to rookie receiver Duke Williams.

Goff’s next test comes Saturday night when the Dallas Cowboys visit the Coliseum for the near sold-out exhibition opener that might have the buildup and electricity of a playoff game.

It will be the first NFL game at the Coliseum since 1994, the Raiders’ final season in Los Angeles.

After going through pre-draft workouts, rookie orientation, organized team activities and nearly two weeks of training-camp activities, Goff, the No. 1 pick in the NFL draft, is eager to finally play in a game.

“It seems like a long time coming,” he said.

Fisher said this week that Case Keenum would start against the Cowboys and that Goff would probably play a half.

Keenum had one pass intercepted Saturday but otherwise performed efficiently and connected with receivers and tight ends for several touchdowns during drills.

Fisher said Goff has worked with the first-team offense during walk-throughs and that he may get some work with the starters during practice this week.

He pointed to Saturday’s two-minute drill as an example of how far Goff has come.

“He was locked in, focused and he knew exactly where the play clock was,” Fisher said, adding, “It was good for him to finish up on a really good note.

“And now he can get his mind right for next weekend.”

Goff anticipates another strong reception from fans when the Rams play the Cowboys.

“Right now they’re very happy to see us,” he said, “and hopefully we can keep it that way.”

Star power

Running back Todd Gurley was one of the last players to come out onto the field, and fans had no trouble recognizing him.

“It was cool just to be able to play in the Coliseum for our first time and get a reaction,” Gurley said.

Gurley went through drills but he is expected to play sparingly during the exhibition season as the Rams attempt to protect one of their most valuable assets.

Gurley, the 10th pick in the 2015 draft, did not take an exhibition snap last season as he was still recovering from a knee injury suffered during his final season at Georgia.

Leg up

Kicker Greg Zuerlein wowed the crowd by kicking a 64-yard field goal.

Zuerlein made 20 of 30 field-goal attempts last season.

Fisher said in March that Zuerlein needed to compete for the spot this season.

Taylor Bertolet, who played at Texas A&M, also is in camp.

Notes

Third-team quarterback Sean Mannion completed a touchdown pass to receiver Nelson Spruce during a live tackling drill for younger players at the end of practice…. Cornerback E.J. Gaines remained sidelined because of a hamstring issue…. The Rams are off Sunday. They will resume practice Monday at UC Irvine.

gary.klein@latimes.com

Twitter: @LATimesklein
http://www.latimes.com/sports/rams/la-sp-rams-scrimmage-20160806-snap-story.html

http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2016/8/6/12395332/los-angeles-rams-training-camp-aug-6-practice-recap

Los Angeles Rams Training Camp: Aug. 6 Practice Recap
By 3k

The Rams put on a show at the Coliseum today. Here’s how TST’s Eddie Perez saw it.

The Los Angeles Rams showed off the run offense powered by RB Just Todd Gurley on Family Day at the Coliseum.

The team took part in special teams, positional, and team drills. Of note, rookie receiver Pharoh Cooper was taking part in kick return drills.

This could be a way the explosive rookie can make an impact sooner than later, though you have to wonder what that means for veterans WR Tavon Austin and RB Benny Cunningham.

Injuries

CB E.J. Gaines remains on the sidelines in street clothes. Same for RT Rob Havenstein.

Jared Goff

Most of Goff's throws today were checkdowns to a running back or TE.

Jack Wang ✔ @thejackwang
Rough summary of the Rams' team drills today at the Coliseum:
Handoff
Handoff
Handoff
Pass to TE
Handoff
Handoff

Sounds like the Rams’ offense has been installed.

Offense

Chase Reynolds took a short out route from Goff for a TD. Newly-added TE Jake Stoneburner took in a TD with an out route in the flat. Goff put up a nice pass to Mike Thomas down the sideline for 23 yards.

Negated by pass interference. Hit Duke Williams for a ten yard gain. Connected with Spruce and Williams more than once on two-minute drills .

While Goff just missed rookie TE Tyler Higbee on a post route for a TD with Bryant on coverage, he has been a terror. Looks the part.

Case threw a lot of underneath/hitch routes on 7-on-7 drills. Underneath routes definitely seem to be a staple of this offense.

CB Trumaine Johnson grabbed an INT during the second portion of teams drills. QB/human Sean Mannion missed Austin HIll for what would have been a TD.

Tavon Austin seriously could get 100 receptions...but each would be a five-yard out route. He took a short hitch route all the way to the house.

WR Kenny Britt beat CB Coty Sensabaugh for a long catch down the sideline, and WR Bradley Marquez beat corner Sensabaugh on a post route for a TD.

UDFA rookie WR Duke Williams made a nice catch over Jabriel Washington. He connected with Goff multiple times on the two-minute drill, ending the drill with a touchdown.

Rookie UDFA WR Paul McRoberts went over Washington with an over the shoulder catch. Goff placed it perfectly.

Rookie UDFA WR Nelson Spruce connected with Goff twice in the two-minute drill.

Higbee worked over Christian Bryant all day. He beat S T.J. McDonald's on a post route for a TD.

TE Lance Kendricks came up with a TD from a nice pass by Keenum.

Gurley had a nice long run on his first full team rep. RB Benny Cunningham with a strong run down the right side. Malcom Brown posted a good strong run up the right with the twos. Aaron Green had a nice hard run to boot.

We definitely need to see more intensity for Greg Robinson. He struggled blocking DE Eugene Sims. Got into a lil' shoving match with Alec Ogletree and Tree punked him.

I can't say Greg is weak, but Alec sure made him look that way. A few plays later, Robinson proceeded to just barely put his hands on DL Ethan Westbrook on pass protection.

Defense

Sensabaugh got beat by Bradley Marquez, but came back with good sticky coverage on Tavon Austin. CB Mike Jordan prevented what would have been a beautiful one-handed catch by Cooper. Flag on Sensabaugh covering Austin.

S Maurice Alexander in with the first team on all reps I saw. Cody Davis & Christian Bryant with the twos.

Rookie LB Josh Forrest in with twos at strong side LB it seems. LB Brandon Chubb would have ended practice with a sack on Sean Mannion, but the play was allowed to continue ending on a Spruce touchdown.

Alec Ogletree in on covering Britt, breaking up a potential TD. Definitely is able to react quick enough and get to the ball. Did get the defense lined up quickly and correctly but did not make many pre-snap calls. Definitely an asset in pass coverage.

Practice Report 8/6: First Workday at the Coliseum

By Myles Simmons

http://www.therams.com
It may have been only a practice, but it was still a special afternoon.

The Rams have gone through an offseason program in Oxnard, and a week of training camp in Irvine. But the club may finally feel a bit at home after hosting Family Day at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum.

The once-and-current home of the L.A. Rams was buzzing from when the doors opened at 1 o’clock to when the final whistle blew at 5:30. And those in attendance were treated to a particularly competitive practice.

With the Rams in full pads, head coach Jeff Fisher said all units got after it in order to foster improvement throughout the squad.

“They came out and we got better today,” Fisher said. “I don’t know how we’re going to be next week, but we definitely got better today as a team. I saw good things from everybody. We stayed healthy and what we would consider to be somewhat of a physical practice, so we stayed healthy. We got in great work, so they got a day off tomorrow.”

“We most definitely got better today,” running back Todd Gurley said. “It was a great day of work, especially for the offense. We were able to get some of those red zone scores and some of those goal-line runs, which we really need to put points on the board. It felt like offense and defense — we all got better today.”

Los Angeles went through a normal practice routine — individual drills, 1-on-1s, 7-on-7, 11-on-11, and special teams work. There were a few standout players in each situation. Wide receiver Bradley Marquez made a tough catch in the end zone from Case Keenum in 1-on-1s. Tight end Tyler Higbee made a number of touchdown receptions in the red zone during 7-on-7. And Keenum made a few nice throws to wideout Kenny Britt during team drills.

But the highlight of the day was quarterback Jared Goff’s performance during a two-minute drill toward the end of practice.

Goff began the period with a pair of sharp throws to fellow rookie wide receiver Nelson Spruce — both of which were toward the sideline and stopped the clock. Next, Goff scrambled for a first down, making it out of bounds to once again freeze the time. While a pass went off wide receiver Duke Williams’ hands and was nearly intercepted inside the five-yard line, Goff went right back to Williams for a reception to put the offense at 4th-and-goal from the one.

“I told [Williams], right after he dropped it — I said I’m going to come right back here,” Goff said. “Sure enough, I did.”

On conceivably the last play, Goff found Williams at the back of the end zone for a touchdown, capping a great drive and a strong day.

“I don’t know if you saw the two-minute drill, but that stuff was real,” Fisher said. “He was locked in, focused, and he knew exactly where the play clock was, game clock, timeouts, everything.

“He had a good day today — you know, finish up the week on a really good note and now he can get his mind right for next weekend,” Fisher added.

Goff said one of the reasons for his prowess in the two-minute drill was his familiarity with the plays.

“A lot of plays we have ran a lot. I felt really comfortable with it,” Goff said. “We didn’t run anything out of the ordinary, so it was good.”

After a rough day toward the beginning of camp, Williams has come back with a string of nice practices. Fisher he’s noticed improvement out of the wide receiver, but would like to see more consistency.

“He’ll catch three, drop one, so we’ll need to get him to catch four, no drops — that type of thing,” Fisher said. “But he’s getting a feel for what we’re doing. He’s been active. And, as I mentioned, Duke lost a lot of weight during the summer, and he knows that this is his only opportunity, so we’ll wait and see how he does. But you should expect to see him be productive in the second half of the preseason games.”

Those exhibition matchups will begin in just a week with the Rams taking on the Cowboys at the Coliseum. Family Day served as a dress rehearsal of sorts for everyone to get the stadium prepared for the first NFL contest at the venue in over two decades.

“The organization, the Coliseum, and everybody looked at it kind of as that first step — that dry run type of thing, and things were perfect,” Fisher said. “We’re looking forward to next weekend.”

That goes from the on-field, playing standpoint as well.

“Seems like a long time coming. But it’ll be nice,” Goff said. “I’m sure it’ll be great. I’m sure we will have a packed house and have a lot of fun playing the Cowboys and hopefully execute and play well.”

And so the Rams will take a day off to rest and recover before getting back to business on Monday afternoon with a 3:30 practice at UC Irvine.

“This will conclude that first difficult phase of training camp,” Fisher said. “And we couldn’t think of a better way than to do it here in front of the fans and in this environment. It was just really, really, really fun.”

Last edited:

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
I'm concerned about GRob.
He just does not seem to be getting it.
And I would think by now, he would have already gotten it.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
I will wait till I see him in preseason action before I pass judgment. The defense has the upper hand in practice plus you have incredible talent along the defense line. If he does look bad in preseason we will have a major problem. As of right now I'm not worried.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
What is exciting is that the skill guys on offense are all playing well from fundamentals to scheme this early. No matter how you slice it I call that great news.

What matters now is the OL. The Cowboys don't have our defensive front, but they also aren't worried about red jerseys on the QBs.

This preseason game is a big deal for us to see where they are. And if the OL keeps the pocket clean I think we will be happy fans.

London59

Rookie
Name
London59

Maybe he just isn't going to make it at tackle. Could the Rams slide Saffold to tackle and move Robinson to guard?

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I'm in the "let's see GRob in a few preseason games" before we either totally relax or fret camp.

Right now, I'm cautiously optimistic, frankly.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I simply don't think Goff is gonna be the starter...and Keenum isn't gonna lay down and give it to him. I'm over here in Memphis...so I don't see much that's happening.

At the end of camp just as I thought, the most effective report I read showed a big learning curve for Goff:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...-jared-goff-nowhere-near-being-ready-to-start

Of course I could be wrong...

Your take is a safe one Woodie.

But there is no way Keenum starts over this kid next month. No way. Fish ain't gonna say it, but it's already really close and we're only six days into camp. Give the kid another week or two of settling in and it's game over for Case and I think he knows it.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Well, seems one pattern is consistent, Coty Sensabaugh getting beat....Let's hope come preseason that changes.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Your take is a safe one Woodie.

But there is no way Keenum starts over this kid next month. No way. Fish ain't gonna say it, but it's already really close and we're only six days into camp. Give the kid another week or two of settling in and it's game over for Case and I think he knows it.

Pretty sure you're wrong on this, guess we'll see

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
It's good to see any kind of detailed report during the pre-season. For that I appreciate the OP posting this thread. The news is some good - some not so good. But it gives us something to imagine and think about. I like that.

Now this...

These guys get paid for this tripe? Is this guy talking about Goff, Higbeast, or Bryant? Not to be grammar police but I honestly don't know. I suspect either Goff or Higbeast, but the sentence structure would indicate Bryant. I'm fine with any one of them and at this point I would actually prefer it to BE Bryant - though I'm guessing that is not what he meant.
While Goff just missed rookie TE Tyler Higbee on a post route for a TD with Bryant on coverage, he has been a terror. Looks the part.

Is this really necessary this early? So let's over simplify the offense for our narrative and then add a quip of the offense being installed. Weak!
Jack Wang ✔ @thejackwang
Handoff
Handoff
Handoff
Pass to TE
Handoff
Handoff

Otherwise, good to hear that they got in a 2+ hour full pad scrimmage, everyone seems to feel they learned and got better, and no one was injured. IOW yadda yadda yadda. But seriously, the fact that no one apparently came up lame afterward is about the best news I saw.

Rant over. Peace out.

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
Maybe he just isn't going to make it at tackle. Could the Rams slide Saffold to tackle and move Robinson to guard?

I wanted them to move Robinson into the guard position mid season last year. He's just not comprehending the fundamentals of a left tackle. He'd be an incredible guard though. If I were Fish I would make the move now to give everyone practice time to settle in.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I wanted them to move Robinson into the guard position mid season last year. He's just not comprehending the fundamentals of a left tackle. He'd be an incredible guard though. If I were Fish I would make the move now to give everyone practice time to settle in.
And if they move him inside while he may very well be learning the position next to other O-linemen that are wet behind the ears, we will be yet again in search of a LT. If he is our best option out there, then let him learn and grow along side this extremely young O-line. I agree that he may be an instant success inside. But who then becomes our LT? Saffold? Are we really thinking that we want to put our hopes in a guy who is recovering from his second shoulder surgery and hasn't had but one or two full seasons? I love Saffold but not as our LT. I think we'd be asking for him to go on IR for the season this soon after surgery. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that GRob will be pretty good to start the season but much better as the seasonS progress.

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
And if they move him inside while he may very well be learning the position next to other O-linemen that are wet behind the ears, we will be yet again in search of a LT. If he is our best option out there, then let him learn and grow along side this extremely young O-line. I agree that he may be an instant success inside. But who then becomes our LT? Saffold? Are we really thinking that we want to put our hopes in a guy who is recovering from his second shoulder surgery and hasn't had but one or two full seasons? I love Saffold but not as our LT. I think we'd be asking for him to go on IR for the season this soon after surgery. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that GRob will be pretty good to start the season but much better as the seasonS progress.

Hmmm. Besides Saffold, who is the next man up that can play reasonably well at Left Tackle? By reasonably well I'm saying at the same level that GRob is currently playing it. LT is SUCH an important position with protecting a young QB that it just might be worth it, to put someone else in there who's ceiling isn't as high as GRob's ... but who will actually block people consistently.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Jared Goff continues to make progress during Rams scrimmage at the Coliseum

750x422

Rams quarterback Jared Goff takes aim at a receiver during a team scrimmage Saturday at the Coliseum. (Gina Ferazzi / Los Angeles Times)

By Gary Klein

He has yet to take a first-team snap in a training-camp practice. He has not stared across the line of scrimmage at middle linebacker Alec Ogletree, felt pressure from two-time Pro Bowl tackle Aaron Donald or tried to fit a pass by franchise cornerback Trumaine Johnson.

But Rams rookie quarterback Jared Goff is making progress.

He took another step Saturday during a workout at the Coliseum, which doubled as a showcase before tens of thousands of fans.

“I’m starting to settle in a little bit,” Goff said.

The crowd cheered just about every move the Rams made during a 2 1/2-hour workout that ended with players signing autographs.

The Coliseum, home to USC, was outfitted with Rams signage.

“Walking down the tunnel for the first time, for some of these guys, was a cool experience,” said Coach Jeff Fisher, who played defensive back at USC and coached in the stadium as an NFL assistant.

Goff was the main attraction for many fans.

He ran onto the field to cheers and received more after he completed a long pass to rookie receiver Michael Thomas. Goff was nearly perfect during a two-minute drill that ended with a touchdown pass to rookie receiver Duke Williams.

Goff’s next test comes Saturday night when the Dallas Cowboys visit the Coliseum for the near sold-out exhibition opener that might have the buildup and electricity of a playoff game.

It will be the first NFL game at the Coliseum since 1994, the Raiders’ final season in Los Angeles.

After going through pre-draft workouts, rookie orientation, organized team activities and nearly two weeks of training-camp activities, Goff, the No. 1 pick in the NFL draft, is eager to finally play in a game.

“It seems like a long time coming,” he said.

Fisher said this week that Case Keenum would start against the Cowboys and that Goff would probably play a half.

Keenum had one pass intercepted Saturday but otherwise performed efficiently and connected with receivers and tight ends for several touchdowns during drills.

Fisher said Goff has worked with the first-team offense during walk-throughs and that he may get some work with the starters during practice this week.

He pointed to Saturday’s two-minute drill as an example of how far Goff has come.

“He was locked in, focused and he knew exactly where the play clock was,” Fisher said, adding, “It was good for him to finish up on a really good note.

“And now he can get his mind right for next weekend.”

Goff anticipates another strong reception from fans when the Rams play the Cowboys.

“Right now they’re very happy to see us,” he said, “and hopefully we can keep it that way.”

Star power

Running back Todd Gurley was one of the last players to come out onto the field, and fans had no trouble recognizing him.

“It was cool just to be able to play in the Coliseum for our first time and get a reaction,” Gurley said.

Gurley went through drills but he is expected to play sparingly during the exhibition season as the Rams attempt to protect one of their most valuable assets.

Gurley, the 10th pick in the 2015 draft, did not take an exhibition snap last season as he was still recovering from a knee injury suffered during his final season at Georgia.

Leg up

Kicker Greg Zuerlein wowed the crowd by kicking a 64-yard field goal.

Zuerlein made 20 of 30 field-goal attempts last season.

Fisher said in March that Zuerlein needed to compete for the spot this season.

Taylor Bertolet, who played at Texas A&M, also is in camp.

Notes

Third-team quarterback Sean Mannion completed a touchdown pass to receiver Nelson Spruce during a live tackling drill for younger players at the end of practice…. Cornerback E.J. Gaines remained sidelined because of a hamstring issue…. The Rams are off Sunday. They will resume practice Monday at UC Irvine.

gary.klein@latimes.com

Twitter: @LATimesklein
http://www.latimes.com/sports/rams/la-sp-rams-scrimmage-20160806-snap-story.html

http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2016/8/6/12395332/los-angeles-rams-training-camp-aug-6-practice-recap

Los Angeles Rams Training Camp: Aug. 6 Practice Recap
By 3k

The Rams put on a show at the Coliseum today. Here’s how TST’s Eddie Perez saw it.

The Los Angeles Rams showed off the run offense powered by RB Just Todd Gurley on Family Day at the Coliseum.

The team took part in special teams, positional, and team drills. Of note, rookie receiver Pharoh Cooper was taking part in kick return drills.

This could be a way the explosive rookie can make an impact sooner than later, though you have to wonder what that means for veterans WR Tavon Austin and RB Benny Cunningham.

Injuries

CB E.J. Gaines remains on the sidelines in street clothes. Same for RT Rob Havenstein.

Jared Goff

Most of Goff's throws today were checkdowns to a running back or TE.

Jack Wang ✔ @thejackwang
Handoff
Handoff
Handoff
Pass to TE
Handoff
Handoff

Offense

Chase Reynolds took a short out route from Goff for a TD. Newly-added TE Jake Stoneburner took in a TD with an out route in the flat. Goff put up a nice pass to Mike Thomas down the sideline for 23 yards.

Negated by pass interference. Hit Duke Williams for a ten yard gain. Connected with Spruce and Williams more than once on two-minute drills .

Case threw a lot of underneath/hitch routes on 7-on-7 drills. Underneath routes definitely seem to be a staple of this offense.

CB Trumaine Johnson grabbed an INT during the second portion of teams drills. QB/human Sean Mannion missed Austin HIll for what would have been a TD.

Tavon Austin seriously could get 100 receptions...but each would be a five-yard out route. He took a short hitch route all the way to the house.

WR Kenny Britt beat CB Coty Sensabaugh for a long catch down the sideline, and WR Bradley Marquez beat corner Sensabaugh on a post route for a TD.

UDFA rookie WR Duke Williams made a nice catch over Jabriel Washington. He connected with Goff multiple times on the two-minute drill, ending the drill with a touchdown.

Rookie UDFA WR Paul McRoberts went over Washington with an over the shoulder catch. Goff placed it perfectly.

Rookie UDFA WR Nelson Spruce connected with Goff twice in the two-minute drill.

Higbee worked over Christian Bryant all day. He beat S T.J. McDonald's on a post route for a TD.

TE Lance Kendricks came up with a TD from a nice pass by Keenum.

Gurley had a nice long run on his first full team rep. RB Benny Cunningham with a strong run down the right side. Malcom Brown posted a good strong run up the right with the twos. Aaron Green had a nice hard run to boot.

We definitely need to see more intensity for Greg Robinson. He struggled blocking DE Eugene Sims. Got into a lil' shoving match with Alec Ogletree and Tree punked him.

I can't say Greg is weak, but Alec sure made him look that way. A few plays later, Robinson proceeded to just barely put his hands on DL Ethan Westbrook on pass protection.

Defense

Sensabaugh got beat by Bradley Marquez, but came back with good sticky coverage on Tavon Austin. CB Mike Jordan prevented what would have been a beautiful one-handed catch by Cooper. Flag on Sensabaugh covering Austin.

S Maurice Alexander in with the first team on all reps I saw. Cody Davis & Christian Bryant with the twos.

Rookie LB Josh Forrest in with twos at strong side LB it seems. LB Brandon Chubb would have ended practice with a sack on Sean Mannion, but the play was allowed to continue ending on a Spruce touchdown.

Alec Ogletree in on covering Britt, breaking up a potential TD. Definitely is able to react quick enough and get to the ball. Did get the defense lined up quickly and correctly but did not make many pre-snap calls. Definitely an asset in pass coverage.

Practice Report 8/6: First Workday at the Coliseum

By Myles Simmons

http://www.therams.com
It may have been only a practice, but it was still a special afternoon.

The Rams have gone through an offseason program in Oxnard, and a week of training camp in Irvine. But the club may finally feel a bit at home after hosting Family Day at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum.

The once-and-current home of the L.A. Rams was buzzing from when the doors opened at 1 o’clock to when the final whistle blew at 5:30. And those in attendance were treated to a particularly competitive practice.

With the Rams in full pads, head coach Jeff Fisher said all units got after it in order to foster improvement throughout the squad.

“They came out and we got better today,” Fisher said. “I don’t know how we’re going to be next week, but we definitely got better today as a team. I saw good things from everybody. We stayed healthy and what we would consider to be somewhat of a physical practice, so we stayed healthy. We got in great work, so they got a day off tomorrow.”

“We most definitely got better today,” running back Todd Gurley said. “It was a great day of work, especially for the offense. We were able to get some of those red zone scores and some of those goal-line runs, which we really need to put points on the board. It felt like offense and defense — we all got better today.”

Los Angeles went through a normal practice routine — individual drills, 1-on-1s, 7-on-7, 11-on-11, and special teams work. There were a few standout players in each situation. Wide receiver Bradley Marquez made a tough catch in the end zone from Case Keenum in 1-on-1s. Tight end Tyler Higbee made a number of touchdown receptions in the red zone during 7-on-7. And Keenum made a few nice throws to wideout Kenny Britt during team drills.

But the highlight of the day was quarterback Jared Goff’s performance during a two-minute drill toward the end of practice.

Goff began the period with a pair of sharp throws to fellow rookie wide receiver Nelson Spruce — both of which were toward the sideline and stopped the clock. Next, Goff scrambled for a first down, making it out of bounds to once again freeze the time. While a pass went off wide receiver Duke Williams’ hands and was nearly intercepted inside the five-yard line, Goff went right back to Williams for a reception to put the offense at 4th-and-goal from the one.

“I told [Williams], right after he dropped it — I said I’m going to come right back here,” Goff said. “Sure enough, I did.”

On conceivably the last play, Goff found Williams at the back of the end zone for a touchdown, capping a great drive and a strong day.

“I don’t know if you saw the two-minute drill, but that stuff was real,” Fisher said. “He was locked in, focused, and he knew exactly where the play clock was, game clock, timeouts, everything.

“He had a good day today — you know, finish up the week on a really good note and now he can get his mind right for next weekend,” Fisher added.

Goff said one of the reasons for his prowess in the two-minute drill was his familiarity with the plays.

“A lot of plays we have ran a lot. I felt really comfortable with it,” Goff said. “We didn’t run anything out of the ordinary, so it was good.”

After a rough day toward the beginning of camp, Williams has come back with a string of nice practices. Fisher he’s noticed improvement out of the wide receiver, but would like to see more consistency.

“He’ll catch three, drop one, so we’ll need to get him to catch four, no drops — that type of thing,” Fisher said. “But he’s getting a feel for what we’re doing. He’s been active. And, as I mentioned, Duke lost a lot of weight during the summer, and he knows that this is his only opportunity, so we’ll wait and see how he does. But you should expect to see him be productive in the second half of the preseason games.”

Those exhibition matchups will begin in just a week with the Rams taking on the Cowboys at the Coliseum. Family Day served as a dress rehearsal of sorts for everyone to get the stadium prepared for the first NFL contest at the venue in over two decades.

“The organization, the Coliseum, and everybody looked at it kind of as that first step — that dry run type of thing, and things were perfect,” Fisher said. “We’re looking forward to next weekend.”

That goes from the on-field, playing standpoint as well.

“Seems like a long time coming. But it’ll be nice,” Goff said. “I’m sure it’ll be great. I’m sure we will have a packed house and have a lot of fun playing the Cowboys and hopefully execute and play well.”

And so the Rams will take a day off to rest and recover before getting back to business on Monday afternoon with a 3:30 practice at UC Irvine.

“This will conclude that first difficult phase of training camp,” Fisher said. “And we couldn’t think of a better way than to do it here in front of the fans and in this environment. It was just really, really, really fun.”

One thing should be mentioned. about yesterday. They where Playing a lot of Music there over the PA and when Goff first hit the Field The crowd went nuts , and they where Playing " Don't Stop Thinking About Tomorrow" By Fleetwood Mac!! (y)(y)Really Cool!!:D

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Hmmm. Besides Saffold, who is the next man up that can play reasonably well at Left Tackle? By reasonably well I'm saying at the same level that GRob is currently playing it. LT is SUCH an important position with protecting a young QB that it just might be worth it, to put someone else in there who's ceiling isn't as high as GRob's ... but who will actually block people consistently.
I don't necessarily disagree with this. I just don't think it is the best course of action unless the coaches determine GRob simply can't play LT at this level. If he is almost as good as Saffold, I still think it is best to leave him at LT to work into the position. We know Saffold can play swing if needed. What we don't know yet is that GRob can't play the position adequately now and form into a pretty good LT for the future. Who knows? I'll admit that I certainly don't.

ninedeuce

Rookie
Well, seems one pattern is consistent, Coty Sensabaugh getting beat....Let's hope come preseason that changes.

Get well very soon EJ Gaines. Watching Sensabaugh get turned inside out 3 times in a span of about 5 minutes was very unsettling.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
I simply don't think Goff is gonna be the starter...and Keenum isn't gonna lay down and give it to him. I'm over here in Memphis...so I don't see much that's happening.

At the end of camp just as I thought, the most effective report I read showed a big learning curve for Goff:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...-jared-goff-nowhere-near-being-ready-to-start

Of course I could be wrong...
Goff has so much more arm talent then Keenum that I can't see Goff sitting out while Keenum starts unless Goff forgets everything he has learned since the start of OTAs. As long as Goff has a full grasp of the playbook there is no way to say he doesn't give the team it's best chance to win. That's not to say they can't win with Keenum, they can, but Goff just has more talent and will only get better.