Goff Isn't feeble

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DickersonGurley

Naga...nagunnaposthereanymore
Name
Faulk
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ok. You can turn this into a " this is stupid post" all you want, same as the hand size, but if you read almost EVERY scouting report they all say thin, very gangly, also say makes accurate throes but doesn't really have all the oomph as other qb's. Is that nit picking? Sure. My main point in all this is the kid is getting stronger , quick. He already has become more powerful. And although it's not ALWAYS accurate, most of the time as young guys get bigger and stronger there arm strength increases. Even in MLB.

So honestly I'm just kind of pumped he's getting bigger and stronger and now seems to have the potential to really fill out, because if there is ONE thing about his tape that sometimes bugged me, is he had a flutter and wobble in his deep ball that slowed it down and made it a little harder to catch. Was it catastrophic? No. But with everything he has that is a real plus skill, him getting a stronger arm ONLY means he gets better... is that exact science , no. I'm not an idiot, but it's a pretty accurate estimation. Drew Bree's and Phillip Rivers both had major arm strength improvements from there rookie year. So when you add it all up, age, physical maturation , arm strength improving, and add that to the existing skill set, then I don't know about you, but I'm excited. I'm an admitted Homer, so take what I say about Rams players with a grain of salt, but the article was interesting and at worst encouraging.

Also I agree there have been smaller QB'size with success. But as these guys all keep getting bigger, it HELPS if the QB is a little thicker too. There are a ton of 250 lb online man in Canton, a bunch of WR who ran 4.9 or worse, but as the game evolves, you have to gauge new players on the Era they are in. In 1985 Goff would have not even been considered slim by scouts. Treadwell would not have been knocked so badly for his 40.

Again this was aimed at the scouting reports and things that have been addressed in them.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
One concern I do have is that occasionally treatments for these relatively rare genetic diseases - and not having enough of certain enzymes IS a genetic disease - have side effects that can't be predicted. It's a small risk, but let's be honest - there is SOME risk.

That doesn't mean that drafting him didn't make sense - but let's not pretend that it's all sunshine and roses, either. There may be no significant side effects to him being able to put on muscle mass properly. There could be some unpredictable result of the treatment, that could surface in several years. It happens, all too often.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
One concern I do have is that occasionally treatments for these relatively rare genetic diseases - and not having enough of certain enzymes IS a genetic disease - have side effects that can't be predicted. It's a small risk, but let's be honest - there is SOME risk.

That doesn't mean that drafting him didn't make sense - but let's not pretend that it's all sunshine and roses, either. There may be no significant side effects to him being able to put on muscle mass properly. There could be some unpredictable result of the treatment, that could surface in several years. It happens, all too often.
Do you have examples? While I'm sure it is possible I don't know if it happens "all too often"

All they're "treating" him with are supplements

Wolfecola

Wubba Lubba Dub Dub
Matt Ryan is 6'4" 217 and hasn't missed a game in eight years, so there's that...

EDIT: Ryan apparently missed two games in '09 due to a turf toe injury.

DickersonGurley

Naga...nagunnaposthereanymore
Name
Faulk
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Is his weight that important? Let's not body shame you guys. He can do whatever he wants with his body. #meninism
Steve Young was fast as hell man...lol

Guy's this is just generalities. There are exceptions to every rule, but for every rule he doesn't have to be the exception too, the better off he is.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
It would make me more comfortable if Goff bulked up a bit, whether it results in any net difference on the field or not. You just feel safer seeing a guy like Blake Bortles take a crunching tackle than someone like Drew Brees.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
It would make me more comfortable if Goff bulked up a bit, whether it results in any net difference on the field or not. You just feel safer seeing a guy like Blake Bortles take a crunching tackle than someone like Drew Brees.
7efe32a2482d9ae2b80556337eb9ad44ad3fde2f6c0ce6792ed3cf32a48c2111_1.gif

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rank Player Yds Years Teams
1. Peyton Manning 71,940 1998-2015
2. Brett Favre 71,838 1991-2010
3. Dan Marino+ 61,361 1983-1999
4. Drew Brees (37) 60,903 2001-2015
5. Tom Brady (38) 58,028 2000-2015
6. John Elway+ 51,475 1983-1998
7. Warren Moon+ 49,325 1984-2000
8. Fran Tarkenton+ 47,003 1961-1978
9. Vinny Testaverde 46,233 1987-2007
10. Drew Bledsoe

This is top ten guys in passing yards of all time. There's an argument in there for both big guys and small guys in this league. But I have to agree that plenty of smaller guys have obviously fared well.
A lot of those guys came out of college the same or similar size to Goff. They then put on weight when they got in an NFL weight room.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Rank Player Yds Years Teams
1. Peyton Manning 71,940 1998-2015
2. Brett Favre 71,838 1991-2010
3. Dan Marino+ 61,361 1983-1999
4. Drew Brees (37) 60,903 2001-2015
5. Tom Brady (38) 58,028 2000-2015
6. John Elway+ 51,475 1983-1998
7. Warren Moon+ 49,325 1984-2000
8. Fran Tarkenton+ 47,003 1961-1978
9. Vinny Testaverde 46,233 1987-2007
10. Drew Bledsoe

This is top ten guys in passing yards of all time. There's an argument in there for both big guys and small guys in this league. But I have to agree that plenty of smaller guys have obviously fared well.
Whew...look at that list....different eras but brees, moon, and tarkenton were STUDs....Moon had a canon...tark could really scramble...brees...just workout WARRIOR...
Testaverde was a hulk....Bledsoe was huge...Elway was the best high school, college QB I've ever seen. One of the best athletes on his team...Marino 6'4 statue, with a golden release...Farve...c'mon man...cannon, tough, runner...gun-slinger..Peyton was a lil thin but 6'5....
The only slight guy to me seemed to be Brady....the others looked like NFL players...Even when they first got into the league...To suggest Goff is built similar to any of them except Brady is an error.
The fitness of today's college athlete is light years from the 70's...esp. for QB's...There was a time when it was thought you didn't need to lift weights for baseball either...

TBH looking at that list above I'm not sure how many of those above would be considered "big guys" or "bigger than Goff." Elway for example was 6'3" and 215 early in his career. Marino was 6'4" and played around 230 but what was his weight when he was drafted? Brett Favre was 6'2" and I remember him being a bit bony when he first started out. Moon was 6'3" and 220..

IMO the only QB I would say was big in the group would be Marino but that's going off memory admittedly. Manning was skin and bones when he began and still was a stick as an older QB even though his belly and 6'5" height helped him weigh in at a supposed 230.

Anyway. Of all of them Manning's playing and body style reminds me the most of Goff and he lasted 17 years. Brady similar too, particularly early on when he was a bean pole and knocked for his physique, and he's still going strong as a slightly built pocket QB. IMO the only real big guys who are in the discussion are Big Ben and Cam Newton, and Cam might not last too much longer if he doesn't tone down his running.
Never heard them ever call Peyton "slight"...Never heard it said about Bledsoe either....I wouldn't consider anyone like Peyton...until they show the ability to get rid of the ball......without getting hit. That's why a very slow QB lasts 17 years....as well as being 6'5, 230+ lbs...

Steve Young (one of the best all-around QB's ever IMO)
6' 2"
Another stud....damn near a rb...could have made the pros as a wr & a db....and he may have been listed at 6'2...looks more 6'0, 220 .....stocky looking lefty...

Just look at the pictures of the guy (goff)....no one is saying it's a reason he can't play...I'll just put it here, there is a risk, as with all the guys, but an increased risk due to his position on the field, that at that weight, and taking punishment, man, dude can get hurt....cause he is still very slight looking....

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Whew...look at that list....different eras but brees, moon, and tarkenton were STUDs....Moon had a canon...tark could really scramble...brees...just workout WARRIOR...
Testaverde was a hulk....Bledsoe was huge...Elway was the best high school, college QB I've ever seen. One of the best athletes on his team...Marino 6'4 statue, with a golden release...Farve...c'mon man...cannon, tough, runner...gun-slinger..Peyton was a lil thin but 6'5....
The only slight guy to me seemed to be Brady....the others looked like NFL players...Even when they first got into the league...To suggest Goff is built similar to any of them except Brady is an error.
The fitness of today's college athlete is light years from the 70's...esp. for QB's...There was a time when it was thought you didn't need to lift weights for baseball either...

Never heard them ever call Peyton "slight"...Never heard it said about Bledsoe either....I wouldn't consider anyone like Peyton...until they show the ability to get rid of the ball......without getting hit. That's why a very slow QB lasts 17 years....as well as being 6'5, 230+ lbs...

Another stud....damn near a rb...could have made the pros as a wr & a db....and he may have been listed at 6'2...looks more 6'0, 220 .....stocky looking lefty...

Just look at the pictures of the guy (goff)....no one is saying it's a reason he can't play...I'll just put it here, there is a risk, as with all the guys, but an increased risk due to his position on the field, that at that weight, and taking punishment, man, dude can get hurt....cause he is still very slight looking....

Many years ago I was on a late night flight from somewhere and at baggage claim I happened to see Testaverde and have a chance to say hi to him. He had just flown back from Miami and he was in shorts and a t-shirt. I'm pretty sure he didn't have to worry about anyone starting a fight with him, he looked really strong.

So you are right, for a QB he was a hulking dude.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Goff is a tough guy. That's all I know. He took a lot of hits in college and bounced back every time.

Brett Favre... toughest QB ever... Not exactly a big guy.

Size is nice. But it doesn't mean durable.