Goff Isn't feeble

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DickersonGurley

Naga...nagunnaposthereanymore
Name
Faulk
One of the biggest knocks on Goff was he was thin and did not have the strongest arm.

There was an article that must have gone unnoticed by many , where the strength coach that both Goff and Wentz were working with before the draft had some interesting things to say about this.

When Goff walked on to this Trainer, first day he had 8 vials of blood drawn to check all kinds of super crazy intense levels that pro trainers do. They discovered Goff had some type of disorder that inhibited his enzymes from breaking down protein the way it happens in most people. Goff had played regularly at 189at CAL , had spent his time pounding steak, and protein drinks trying to get stronger and bigger in a futile excercize. This pro trainer was able to alter his diet and put him on some supplements that basically made Goff's system react like everyone else's. It resulted in almost a 20lb weight gain along with a drop in body fat. All in like 5 weeks.

The trainer says he believes with a proper program Jared Goffcould be at 240 in a few seasons , and be beastly. His arm strength had already improved Asha's everything else.

This wasn't some pro Goff publicity piece either. I wish I had the link. All I know to me this is huge. This is a very very encouraging development, and if you saw Goff at the draft he was at 220 and looked pretty good. You know this all had to be known to the RAms who loved him anyway.

Just thought if you hadn't read the article, you might be interested.

ztoben

Professional NFL Couch Analyst
Name
ztoben
240 is a weight I'd feel comfortable with him at. Huge potential if this is true

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Well, now that he's in the hands of Strength & Conditioning Coaches Rock Gullickson & J. Aggabao, let's hope they can continue the young field general supplemental diet besides Goff is also 21 years old so adding weight in the foreseeable future should not be an issue.

And BTW IMO, the Rams should hire Ryan Flaherty, why not? If he's that zoned in on Goff this would be a wise investment IMHO.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I want him to worry more about developing his Skills and chemistry with them team than his weight!(y);)

DickersonGurley

Naga...nagunnaposthereanymore
Name
Faulk
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Wow....ok... Well I can GUARENTEE you one thing. Austin and MAYBE one of the rookie WE this year will be the only ones he has need of building long term chemistry with. The rest will be gone over the course of the next two seasons. And to be honest, I think that's the least of his worries anyway. All the practice, all the time they will spend together, the type of player he is, Jared Goff won't be able to not have chemistry with his WR and TE,s. And his body getting bigger and stronger is a huge thing, unless you want to see him holding a clipboard in street clothes after getting cracked by Some big DE.

Yeah his arm strength will undoubtably improve. He is on the Bree's track.

I went back and forth between Goff and Wentz and the age thing was the thing that initially put me over the top. He's almost 2 years younger. Like 22 months.

fearsomefour

Legend
"When he first showed up, he could do a back deadlift of 330 pounds for five reps. After five weeks, that went up to 495 pounds for five reps. Beyond that, Goff's weight now is close to 220, up almost 15 pounds, and done so while cutting about three percent body fat."

That is a heck of a jump in 5 weeks....although I am assuming the writer means back squat.......or deadlift.
Lets go with deadlift.
That would be worth 5 mph to a pitcher. Getting bigger and stronger can help ones ability to throw....in particular the rotational aspects of throwing. Doiing crunches and bi cep curls don't help guy throw harder....doing squats, deadlifts, russian twists, rotational stuff, bench press, pull ups, medball throws and a whole series of upper body/back work does help with throwing ability.
Good to see Goff has the drive to get better.

nighttrain

Legend
two years younger is a big issue at 21 vs 23, Goff should just fine now that the nutritionist has it figured out
train

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I've heard about this type of disease...not sure how much I believe it tho....Typically...enzyme stuff is found out WAY sooner than after a few years in college....
I do believe he'll become bigger and stronger in the pros....and while I liked Wentz a lil more...I'm still happy to have Goff....

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Much ado about nothing. Look at the greatest QBs in this league... Montana, Young, Brady, Manning, etc., etc., etc., and very few of them are big guys.

Goff might get injured, but he has no more tendency to get injured than any other QB. Size guarantees nothing IMO.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
Much ado about nothing. Look at the greatest QBs in this league... Montana, Young, Brady, Manning, etc., etc., etc., and very few of them are big guys.

Goff might get injured, but he has no more tendency to get injured than any other QB. Size guarantees nothing IMO.
Very well said Merlin. I agree 100%

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes

Rank Player Yds Years Teams
1. Peyton Manning 71,940 1998-2015
2. Brett Favre 71,838 1991-2010
3. Dan Marino+ 61,361 1983-1999
4. Drew Brees (37) 60,903 2001-2015
5. Tom Brady (38) 58,028 2000-2015
6. John Elway+ 51,475 1983-1998
7. Warren Moon+ 49,325 1984-2000
8. Fran Tarkenton+ 47,003 1961-1978
9. Vinny Testaverde 46,233 1987-2007
10. Drew Bledsoe

This is top ten guys in passing yards of all time. There's an argument in there for both big guys and small guys in this league. But I have to agree that plenty of smaller guys have obviously fared well.

nighttrain

Legend

being a running QB can end your career with one tackle
train

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Rank Player Yds Years Teams
1. Peyton Manning 71,940 1998-2015
2. Brett Favre 71,838 1991-2010
3. Dan Marino+ 61,361 1983-1999
4. Drew Brees (37) 60,903 2001-2015
5. Tom Brady (38) 58,028 2000-2015
6. John Elway+ 51,475 1983-1998
7. Warren Moon+ 49,325 1984-2000
8. Fran Tarkenton+ 47,003 1961-1978
9. Vinny Testaverde 46,233 1987-2007
10. Drew Bledsoe

This is top ten guys in passing yards of all time. There's an argument in there for both big guys and small guys in this league. But I have to agree that plenty of smaller guys have obviously fared well.

TBH looking at that list above I'm not sure how many of those above would be considered "big guys" or "bigger than Goff." Elway for example was 6'3" and 215 early in his career. Marino was 6'4" and played around 230 but what was his weight when he was drafted? Brett Favre was 6'2" and I remember him being a bit bony when he first started out. Moon was 6'3" and 220..

IMO the only QB I would say was big in the group would be Marino but that's going off memory admittedly. Manning was skin and bones when he began and still was a stick as an older QB even though his belly and 6'5" height helped him weigh in at a supposed 230.

Anyway. Of all of them Manning's playing and body style reminds me the most of Goff and he lasted 17 years. Brady similar too, particularly early on when he was a bean pole and knocked for his physique, and he's still going strong as a slightly built pocket QB. IMO the only real big guys who are in the discussion are Big Ben and Cam Newton, and Cam might not last too much longer if he doesn't tone down his running.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Couple of others: I am watching Brees, from 2002 as a Charger, versus the Rams. Even on the screens he had no power in his throws...soft and softer. Small guy and very tiny, tiny arm....but future hall of famer. Elway was so skinny, but he had a gun----drafted by Yankeess as a baseball player.

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
honestly, the only thing i'm concerned about Goff's health is his vision. show him a bunch of pictures with Rams receivers and opponent defenders on it. if he consistently (if not always) can find the Rams receivers first, then he's good to go as far as i'm concerned since throwing to the opposition has been a problem the last few seasons.
an eye color test too. make him "pass" an eye color test and use current Ram jersey colors. (obviously) (y)

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Nit picking over a mans weight?

What was Carson Wentz weight at 21?

OH that's what I thought

Jim Everett came in at a full 6'5" weighed 215, that's funny but I just don't recall the utter INANE BLATHER over him being too...frail

Smh

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
That's good to hear, actually. I was never really too concerned with his weight in the first place, 215 is light but not too light, a lot of other QBs have played at that weight. If he can get bigger though, that'd be even better.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Nit picking over a mans weight?

What was Carson Wentz weight at 21?

OH that's what I thought

Jim Everett came in at a full 6'5" weighed 215, that's funny but I just don't recall the utter INANE BLATHER over him being too...frail

Smh
Wentz was 225 at 21. I predict Goff will be playing near 230 next year.