Goff is a legit star QB

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

manmaderam

The one and only
Goff is a great QB but let's not forget the men in the trenches. That big OL was giving him plenty of time in the pocket

Zodi

Hall of Fame
Goff is a great QB but let's not forget the men in the trenches. That big OL was giving him plenty of time in the pocket

He had time to have a picnic on that pass to Higbee, and then had a clean pocket to step up in when needed.

Ellard80

Legend
I'm excited about Goff... but 30 years of watching football or so has taught me its way too early to denny green crown anyone.

But yeah he appears to have the makings - outside of one series he probably had a perfect qb rating.

What the poster said above is getting mega fucking underplayed btw...

The O-line this year has been unbelievable in pass protection.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Don't want to be a buzzkill, but Goff could be a star QB in time. But, right now I just see a slightly above average QB surrounded by great talent who has been blessed with an great offensive system / play caller and OUTSTANDING protection.
:hiding:

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He wasn't that good anyway.

we'll never know because fisher screwed him in the head so bad he lost his mind. didn't give a fuck anymore. yeah, it shows he wasn't mentally tough enough to gut it out and try again post fisher. he just lost his shit. never recovered.

all on fisher.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Don't want to be a buzzkill, but Goff could be a star QB in time. But, right now I just see a slightly above average QB surrounded by great talent who has been blessed with an great offensive system / play caller and OUTSTANDING protection.

we'll take it.

although i'm treating this year as his rookie year because last year he learnt absolutely nothing about being a nfl qb.

you have to admit he is excellent in the pocket. elite pocket awareness and movement.

Fatboy

Rookie
3rd and 33 was the play of the game for me. I went from cursing to cheering in 2 seconds as the play unfolded. It still makes me smile thinking about it. -- the Fatboy

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
I think you all will agree; "We got us a QB boys". We all can see it now that he has the coaches, the OL, and the weapons.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
we'll never know because fisher screwed him in the head so bad he lost his mind. didn't give a freak anymore. yeah, it shows he wasn't mentally tough enough to gut it out and try again post fisher. he just lost his crap. never recovered.

all on fisher.

He played and sucked in Philly too, got benched for Vick. Signed a deal with the Bills the next year and didn't make the roster, then Green Bay the next year and didn't make the roster, then the Browns and didn't make the roster.

Then he went to Canada so he could be an international failure.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Game 15 that he has played and look what he just did.

Yeah it's the Giants and they suck. But the Rams offense just freaking wiped the Giants out.

This is a burgeoning force.

Goff's foot work and his look around the field is great.

We have a bit to celebrate here as fans............this is real, it's not an illusion, it's not the result of playing bad teams every week.

This team is besting it's equals and crushing lesser teams. The only bad loss was a close game they almost won after turning it over 5 times.

The balance has shifted.........the three teams that spent on the OL and invested in the draft and went after a QB are on top of the NFC. And then there is MINN. And they are NOT to be taken lightly. They may be the end game in the playoffs.

Right now this is a 4 team equation in this confernce.
When Goff was asked what he did during the Bye week, he said he did a lot of "Self Scouting". At that time I said, "I can't wait to see how he performs after that comment!" Well ... He had his Best Game EVER!! :wow:

Now I'm holding my Breath ( I hate looking too far ahead!) waiting to see Goff and The Mob Squad Play Wentz and the Eagles!(y);):D It will be a Preview of the NFC Championship game! JMHO

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

23 years old and an above average QB already? I'll take it.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://www.profootballfocus.com/ne...-wentz-terrific-starts-to-the-2017-nfl-season

Comparing Goff & Wentz' terrific starts to the 2017 NFL season
BY SAM MONSON

GettyImages-851135444-copy.jpg

Photo by Ezra Shaw/Getty Images

Jared Goff and Carson Wentz both threw four touchdowns in Week 9 and presided over 51-point performances from their offenses as each young quarterback continues to make huge strides in Year 2 of their NFL careers.

The Eagles under Wentz are 8-1 and arguably the best team in football, while the Rams are 6-2 and atop the NFC West, one game ahead of the Seahawks.

%5E15B0C91320A785EFB80C59D23886F4C4A23F8944EC8276ED2F%5Epimgpsh_fullsize_distr.png

It’s difficult to overstate just how far each quarterback has come since their rookie seasons. While Wentz started his NFL career on fire, after the first few weeks he struggled badly and ended the season ranked 20th overall by the end of the year, just one spot ahead of Matt Barkley. Goff didn’t see the field until late November, but there were very few signs of life from his first season in the league, albeit in a fairly toxic broader environment before the staff was overhauled in the offseason.

Goff’s situation has been completely refurbished for his second season. The team shipped out Greg Robinson – one of the worst left tackles in football – and signed Andrew Whitworth in free agency, who has just had his fourth game of perfect pass protection already this year. Whitworth has been one of the best pass-blocking tackles in the game for years, and alone represents a huge upgrade in Goff’s situation in the pocket.

This season he has been pressured on 33 percent of his dropbacks, but as a rookie that was up at 44 percent. In addition to Whitworth, the team has also had improved play at center with John Sullivan reviving his NFL career. Goff’s receiving corps has also been completely remodelled, and the scheme under Sean McVay plays more to his strengths, so we are seeing a dramatic improvement in overall play.

View: https://twitter.com/PFF_Sam/status/927556826622775296?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.profootballfocus.com%2Fnews%2Fpro-comparing-goff-wentz-terrific-starts-to-the-2017-nfl-season

Wentz has also benefitted hugely from the scheme being tailored to suit his play. The Eagles run more run-pass option plays than anybody else in the league. They have run almost 100 RPOs (98) over the season, and no other side has more than 65.

The Eagles have been able to simplify the offense and put defenders in a bind while playing to the athleticism of Wentz. Look no further than the first touchdown pass he threw this week against the Broncos. The Eagles packaged a zone run to the left (with Jay Ajayi as the running back), with an option run to the right optioning Von Miller, and then Alshon Jeffery’s little fake screen and ‘go’ route down the sideline, which caught out CB Aqib Talib for the score.

This play can effectively be any one of three distinct things, all of which the defense has to try and account for, but it limits what it asks of Wentz to a couple of simple reads pre and post-snap to make the play. These RPOs have been a huge part of the team’s success and the development at QB of Wentz.

%5EA58F7BAAF8DB7BE5EF7D1F924BB0FC47A9A523FDC42DAB84B7%5Epimgpsh_fullsize_distr.png

Within this system, he has been excelling, and is currently our No. 6 ranked QB with an overall PFF grade of 84.4. Wentz has been able to use the scheme to make huge plays all season, and is also sixth in the league in the percentage of passing yards which have come in the air – i.e. before yards after the catch are taken into consideration.

Wentz also has the league’s No. 1 passer rating on third down at 125.1, and has made a sequence of big plays on third and long all season to give him the league’s best PFF grade on third downs.

Both Goff and Wentz have taken huge steps forward in their sophomore seasons, but both also owe a huge amount to the situation improving around them. With both teams enjoying success, that isn’t likely to change, and we will get to witness two players that have every chance to fulfil their potential and reach their as still undefined ceilings.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Don't take this wrong but you say that like it's a bad thing which I don't get. He's 23 and has started what 15 games and he's above average and looking like he could be a star and playing good with a good offense and a good supporting cast? That's a recipe for some long term success which is a great thing and it's what the rest of us for the most part see as well.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
https://www.profootballfocus.com/ne...-wentz-terrific-starts-to-the-2017-nfl-season

Comparing Goff & Wentz' terrific starts to the 2017 NFL season
BY SAM MONSON

GettyImages-851135444-copy.jpg

Photo by Ezra Shaw/Getty Images

Jared Goff and Carson Wentz both threw four touchdowns in Week 9 and presided over 51-point performances from their offenses as each young quarterback continues to make huge strides in Year 2 of their NFL careers.

The Eagles under Wentz are 8-1 and arguably the best team in football, while the Rams are 6-2 and atop the NFC West, one game ahead of the Seahawks.

%5E15B0C91320A785EFB80C59D23886F4C4A23F8944EC8276ED2F%5Epimgpsh_fullsize_distr.png

It’s difficult to overstate just how far each quarterback has come since their rookie seasons. While Wentz started his NFL career on fire, after the first few weeks he struggled badly and ended the season ranked 20th overall by the end of the year, just one spot ahead of Matt Barkley. Goff didn’t see the field until late November, but there were very few signs of life from his first season in the league, albeit in a fairly toxic broader environment before the staff was overhauled in the offseason.

Goff’s situation has been completely refurbished for his second season. The team shipped out Greg Robinson – one of the worst left tackles in football – and signed Andrew Whitworth in free agency, who has just had his fourth game of perfect pass protection already this year. Whitworth has been one of the best pass-blocking tackles in the game for years, and alone represents a huge upgrade in Goff’s situation in the pocket.

This season he has been pressured on 33 percent of his dropbacks, but as a rookie that was up at 44 percent. In addition to Whitworth, the team has also had improved play at center with John Sullivan reviving his NFL career. Goff’s receiving corps has also been completely remodelled, and the scheme under Sean McVay plays more to his strengths, so we are seeing a dramatic improvement in overall play.

View: https://twitter.com/PFF_Sam/status/927556826622775296?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.profootballfocus.com%2Fnews%2Fpro-comparing-goff-wentz-terrific-starts-to-the-2017-nfl-season

Wentz has also benefitted hugely from the scheme being tailored to suit his play. The Eagles run more run-pass option plays than anybody else in the league. They have run almost 100 RPOs (98) over the season, and no other side has more than 65.

The Eagles have been able to simplify the offense and put defenders in a bind while playing to the athleticism of Wentz. Look no further than the first touchdown pass he threw this week against the Broncos. The Eagles packaged a zone run to the left (with Jay Ajayi as the running back), with an option run to the right optioning Von Miller, and then Alshon Jeffery’s little fake screen and ‘go’ route down the sideline, which caught out CB Aqib Talib for the score.

This play can effectively be any one of three distinct things, all of which the defense has to try and account for, but it limits what it asks of Wentz to a couple of simple reads pre and post-snap to make the play. These RPOs have been a huge part of the team’s success and the development at QB of Wentz.

%5EA58F7BAAF8DB7BE5EF7D1F924BB0FC47A9A523FDC42DAB84B7%5Epimgpsh_fullsize_distr.png

Within this system, he has been excelling, and is currently our No. 6 ranked QB with an overall PFF grade of 84.4. Wentz has been able to use the scheme to make huge plays all season, and is also sixth in the league in the percentage of passing yards which have come in the air – i.e. before yards after the catch are taken into consideration.

Wentz also has the league’s No. 1 passer rating on third down at 125.1, and has made a sequence of big plays on third and long all season to give him the league’s best PFF grade on third downs.

Both Goff and Wentz have taken huge steps forward in their sophomore seasons, but both also owe a huge amount to the situation improving around them. With both teams enjoying success, that isn’t likely to change, and we will get to witness two players that have every chance to fulfil their potential and reach their as still undefined ceilings.

LOL @ adjusted completion %.

That is the most bullshit stat ever invented.

It's like a guy saying he has a "I nearly got that girl %".

PFF and ESPN with their own made up rankings are lame.