Goff 2018 vs Stafford 2021

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Just going to make one comment in this thread. I am trying to stay away from this but can't help myself on this one

I have always stated that Goff could not avoid the inside rush for the life of him.

And all 4 sacks were either 2nd & 7 (twice) 3rd and 10 and 4th and 13 (last play of game)

All 4 sacks were caused by either Blythe or Evans ole their blocks (they were really bad missed blocks - I think Goff had 1 sec to pass on each one of them). And I am out.
To some degree it is always going to be on the QB too. Some are great at avoiding the rush while others are statuesque, so to speak.

Oh, and 174 yards 6.4 per attempt doesn’t usually get it done in the playoffs.

I only continued in on this thread because I have heard this story before about Goff getting the Rams within 7 points of the Packers. There was never a point in that game, besides the first quarter that I ever felt the Rams were going to win that game. It’s a nice picture but it’s distorted from reality.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
McVay's offense requires a bell-cow running back it would seem. Our recent 5 game win streak has more to do with Sony than Stafford.

That said, I agree that Stafford's talent level is higher than Goff's. While it is debatable as to how that translates into win's the one thing we know is that Stafford at least watches tape... and that Goff couldn't get it done without Gurley (in his prime).

Anyway, all of this is pointless. What matters is the playoffs.

Last edited:

oldnotdead

Legend
For me, it's simple.

Goff played very well in 2017, and great in 2018. But for whatever reason, Goff's play regressed in 2019 and 2020.

So I'm glad the Rams made the trade.
I guess you have forgotten how bad the OL was. Jared was often under pressure before he finished his drop. Now Stafford has the benefit of an improved OL that has received far better coaching under Carberry. Under the previous OL coach when the OL had to be shuffled due to injury it turned into a clown show. This year when the OL was completely shuffled they continued to play well. That is proof of good positional coaching. That said the OL in 2019 was a clown show regardless of who was playing. The addition of Carberry IMO has made this season possible.

“Turbo set!”

Pro Bowler
Some objective numbers this season.

Goff 90.6 RTG
Stafford 103.6 RTG

What would those numbers be if they were on their previous teams?

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
Jared Goff in 2018 (16 games): 4688 yds, 101.1 QBR, 32-12 TD-INT. Team 13-3 2nd seed
Matt Stafford 2021 (16 games): 4648 yds, 103.5 QBR, 38-15 TD-INT. Team 12-4 2nd seed

It is surprising to recall just how good Goff looked in 2018, and his numbers are not far off Stafford's. Even in 2019 Goff passed for 4638 (although his other numbers fell off). I am not attempting to start a war. I love Stafford and I loved Goff, and still hope he does well with the Lions. I believe Stafford is an upgrade over Goff. Perhaps the similarity in numbers indicates we will be back in the SB. Go Stafford and go Rams.

I agree with most of that bit just remember the Gurley that was present there and that Goff had been in the offense longer. That said something does does not get talked about enough (not meaning this forum) is Goffs performance on New Orleans. Yes everyone remembers the Superbowl we should of and could of won but wouldn't have been there with out Goffs game in New Orleans.

That said I am happy with the trade I would do it all over again but will always be grateful and root for Goff except against us lol.

Ps. Let's also not for get COVID and Robert woods being healthy etc.

Tano

Legend
To some degree it is always going to be on the QB too. Some are great at avoiding the rush while others are statuesque, so to speak.

Oh, and 174 yards 6.4 per attempt doesn’t usually get it done in the playoffs.

I only continued in on this thread because I have heard this story before about Goff getting the Rams within 7 points of the Packers. There was never a point in that game, besides the first quarter that I ever felt the Rams were going to win that game. It’s a nice picture but it’s distorted from reality.
Well they had a chance when they were within 7 points in the 4th qtr but Reynolds dropped a 2nd down and 10 pass that would have given them a 1st down near the 50 yard line iirc

Then the next play, Evans and Blythe did a complete clown show in their blocking assignments and Goff got sacked within 1 sec

But yeah - as I said in my statement, Goff couldn't avoid an inside rush for the life of him

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Some objective numbers this season.

Goff 90.6 RTG
Stafford 103.6 RTG

What would those numbers be if they were on their previous teams?
Well.. Stafford's lowest since 14 is 89.9.

Biggest difference I see is YPA and touchdowns with Stafford and Goff comparisons the last two years.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Goff finished the season strong, throwing 11 td to only 2 INT in his last 5 games, going 3-2 in those.
He showed a lot of heart this season, got to hand him that.
Now he can sit back and watch Stafford do what he couldnt, and thats win a SB!!!!

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Oh. Boger is the head ref?

I'll see yall next week...

CanadaRam

No guts, No glory.
Name
Andrew
I decided to discuss with Lions fans. Their impressions on Goff and comparing him to Stafford.

If anyone is interested: Here is the thread

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
Also Goff had been in the offense at that point so he progressed which is what made us so excited then with Gurley gine the regression began. This will now be Staffords 2nd year in the offense so he should be even more comfortable and if we can even run the ball even middle of the pack or better well that should be deadly.

Lastly adversity and when things went wrong as well as panic. Stafford yes better skill set but handles it better. Then you have the 4th qu a rter comebacks those really did not exist to much in the goff era which is huge.

I have a 2nd team I watch on Sundays always pull for the kid but I have to be fair its not close. That doesnt mean goff cant still now develop some of those traits but i will always root for him ...juat not against us lol.

Btw probably a 3rd team now with trees!!! Lol

Bleed Rams though always

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
It’s 3rd down in a key drive in the 4th Quarter of a big game. The Rams need a guy who can make a clutch throw with a pass rusher in his face,

Which one do you want?

Psycho_X

Legend
It’s 3rd down in a key drive in the 4th Quarter of a big game. The Rams need a guy who can make a clutch throw with a pass rusher in his face,

Which one do you want?
What I was going to post ^^^. I like Goff, was an adamant supporter of his. But the playoffs... F'ing three games in a ROW... showed exactly why Stafford is the superior QB of the two with his clutch, 4th quarter game winning drive performances and balls of steel completing absolutely must have passes when someone like Suh gets a free rush at you.

Ellard80

Legend
Some QB's just know how to rise up in key situations - how to make the big play when its needed.

Thats not something you can teach - and Stafford has that.

Its pretty much that simple.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock

View: https://youtu.be/kz51rU01S_8

the guy brutalized the Hawks and Whiners

the screen against the Titans…the wheel route on the Cowboys…jumping over the WFT and the Eagles.

Gurley might be the Stafford comparable, not Goff. Miss that player!

nighttrain

Legend
For me, it's simple.

Goff played very well in 2017, and great in 2018. But for whatever reason, Goff's play regressed in 2019 and 2020.

So I'm glad the Rams made the trade.
THIS!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

look directly at the play at the Center position,
Sullivan in, 17 & 18, Blythe in , 20 and 21..........
Sully retired and Blythe can't get on the field for KC
train

PARAM

Hall of Fame

Which one do you want?
Stafford, without a doubt. But....that's over a QB in his 6th season. If Goff plays to year 13, we can always compare then, meaning Goff's 13th vs Stafford's 13th. I suspect, we'd still go with Stafford what with a SB win and all. He's clearly more physically gifted than Goff and definitely sees the field better..

Still, we saw some thrilling games from #16 while he was here. Nothing equals the 4 games we saw in the postseason this year. The CCG in 2018 was close though. Collectively, what Stafford did this year in 4 postseason games might have been the best performance by a QB in the postseason (over a 4 game period).

It wasn't the best QB rating posted in 4 postseason games though.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Oh this again.

1321314153001.jpg