Givens to Panthers?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Draft Watkins, trade Givens, and the Panthers would be a great landing place that makes a lot of sense.

The Panthers only have 3 picks in the top 125 and they obviously need WR help. So you could move Givens for possibly a higher pick next year, higher than his value. That way they add a pick to next years draft and with at least 12 picks in this draft they still have quantity and the ability to move up at various points in this draft.

The reality is 12 picks won't make this team, so upgrading Givens creates room for an additional pick and is a considerable upgrade now and into the future. They still could move another pick to next year as well, like a 5th for a 4th in 2015. It is important to spread these picks out for long-term success.

Alan

Legend
I don't understand that. If you want to draft Watkins OK but what does that have to do with Givens? We're not going to get anything good in return. Why not let him compete?

Of course you place a value much higher than I do on Givens. I'm not sure what that would be based on though but let's say that you're right. If you think he's worth a fairly high draft pick then why isn't he worth that to us? You think we're that deep at WR we can just let him go for very little or nothing? :coffee:

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Yeah, I have to agree this makes no sense. It's not like Givens and Watkins are the same type of receiver, and I'd rather keep the most talented receivers anyway.

Slappy967

Starter
Yeah and I am not ready to cut Pettis loose when he was one of our more sure handed wide outs last year. I recall him making a few solid plays on some godawful balls thrown his way. Givens too deserves a little more time to develop.

Alan

Legend
Let the competition begin. Don't count out my man Veltung either. :)

iced

why o why would the panthers do that with such a deep draft class at receiver....and how are we going to get value out of givens?

he was one of the worst producing starting receivers last year...now they're gonna make him a starter? no way

RamEERS

Pastor
meanwhile, watkins runs his route and Bradford got sacked and injured because of an mediocre OLine... but oh SNAP! we have Manziel because we traded our 13th pick for the number 3 pick straight up! .. but then he continues to run around the pocket like a chicken without a head and watkins is sitting in the secondary with his hands down his pants..

is it draft day yet?!?

Slappy967

Starter
What about Andrew Helmick? We can show them OTA footage from last year to heat up the market for him.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
1st off I would prefer Robinson....we need OL help. My post was in response to the possibility of them taking Watkins.

My point is if they do, this tesm will not utilize 6 WRs so they will have to deal one of them and to me Givens is a one dimensional deep threat that can't go up and fight for the ball.

Why the Panthers and why would they have interest in a deep WR class? They currently have nothing at WR on their roster. They also only have 3 picks in the top 125 and have holes at OT and probably need at least 2 WRs. So they would likely overpay with a 2015 pick for Givens since they are contenders this year and need some exp at WR.

So just a thought on my part snd vonnecting a few dots. I just don't see the Rams keeping all those receivers considering Cook is essentially a WR as well. Plus Watkins gives you what Givens provides and more, thus making Givens the odd man out.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
I don't think the Rams would give up on Givens after one disappointing (sophomore slump) year. He's only been in the league for two years. I also realize that this might be reporters trying to give us Kool-Aid, but there has been multiple articles talking about how Givens completely changed his outlook over the off season and dedicated himself to football. I look forward to seeing how he actually plays now.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

why are people in such a hurry to dump wrs? give them a chance to develop.

crazy.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
I don't believe in him at all--but as a 4th WR coming off the bench he would be great....I would risk Quick over him. Givens has to carve out a niche with the rams..

lockdnram21

Legend

Yeah, I have to agree this makes no sense. It's not like Givens and Watkins are the same type of receiver, and I'd rather keep the most talented receivers anyway.

i disagree they are the same type Watkins is just a better version. if you look at givens tape from his rookie year and watkins tape they run all the same routes. Watkins is going to expand his route tree but as of right now they are same type receiver. He wouldnt be needed. Tavon and Watkins both can take the top off defenses.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Rams currently have one receiver who would fetch anything worthwhile on the market, and that's Tavon Austin. We're not going to get anything for guys who have shown flickers, but yet to really break out and prove their worth (Quick, Bailey) or mid round draft picks who have yet to light the league on fire (Givens, Bailey, Pettis) especially not mid round picks who are coming off rather quiet/disappointing seasons (Givens, Bailey). That doesn't mean they're bad, I think that Bailey is really going to be a great player on the team, and Givens I think can rebound to also be a solid receiver. Pettis, who I have always supported (including over Salas) is a player that I think will be on the Rams probably another year before they get someone else, and Quick needs to take a noticeable step forward this season.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
Why don't they try Givens out on KR? He could be our next Ron Brown. Givens is great at running straight lines really fast. That's pretty much all Brown did.

Plus not to be cruel but I'd rather see Givens get leveled than Tavon.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Givens is a Z....he needs an X to do his job the right way. Quickie better step up, or draft someone who can.